Options

Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the welcome folks.image

Just been looking at the finish times from last year for my race in mid-June, looks like we'll not be the last although we'll be near the back.  Definitely going for it, this weekend I'm getting my cheque book out and post the forms off for that & the 10k that's on the 7th of June.

Thinking of getting a personal trainer, one of the women I run with has got one and he's pushing her with hill sessions etc.  She's definitely getting quicker whereas I'm mostly just pootling and not pushing myself.

Have heard of Hal Higdon, must take a look at his plans & book.
  • Options

KJ:

Good luck with the 10K and try and enjoy it.  I wouldn't worry about where you finish etc.  95% of runners compete with either themselves or the distance and hardly ever against other runners.

I highly recommend Hal as a starting point for looking at plans etc. He covers most race distances so you can find plans for  5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2 etc and for runners at various levels of experience etc.  His book "Marathon Ultimate Training Guide" is wonderful for those new to the distance.

Hope that helps.

TBSIARF (Steve)

• Options

Maybe I'll take a closer look at Hals schedules, or invest in the book. I've run marathons before but due to lack of training (injury,lard arse syndrome etc), it feels like starting again. No harm in that though. The one tragic thing about mistakes is not learning from them,eh?

Definitely starting to look a different shape, with all the wii fit aerobic and muscle exercises. Seeing the physio tomorrow, after my night duty, and hoping that she'll sort me out or point me in the right direction.

Anyone see that programme last night about the guy trying to get the perfect 6 pack? Very entertaining. Some of the guys he interviewed were really taking extreme measures to get the 'right' body shape. Think I'll just stick to situps and 'planks'!

• Options

Hmmmmm..........Intermediate 2 looks good. Just hope there's at least 18 weeks between being successful in the ballot (he says hopefully!) and race day.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Devonian Plodder,

Hi.

Running Wilbury,

I think not having the pressure of having to train to certain pace ranges may make it easier.  I know when I did my marathon people said don't worry about the time, however by using the McMillan Pace Calculator it helped sort out what paces I should be running at and it didn't feel so in my face.

• Options

Is anyone on here a serious beginner like I am? You all seem to have run loads of races before??!!

Anyone? I feel I am flagging and need the encouragement to just get out there, and you guys have all done loads!

• Options

Not me Blithespirit! I have done the Race for Life, that's it! I did my furthest run last weekend - 6.4 miles - it felt like forever - it really was - 1hr 20mins! Can't even work out how long a marthon will take!

I'm adopting the Randolph Finnes attitude of "Plodding forever" - if it got him to the top of Everest it will get me through a marathon!

• Options

I've only done two races Blithe, and they have both been in last six (ish) weeks.  I entered them because I signed up to a half in July to support a friend (who was entering to celebrate/commiserate her 30th birthday) - she backed out and now it's a point of principle that I do it, however long it take.  Having never run in anything before, I started a training schedule from here and am following it to the letter, practice race entries and all ............... Nothing like a sudden realisation that you have to run 13.1 miles as a matter of pride (yes, I've given her gyp for backing out so now I have to do it!) to kick you up the proverbial image  Having said that I then signed up for an October half in a fit of (err, tipsy) madness...

I guess what I'm saying is that I am a beginner who is bricking herself about a race and now following strict schedule....................  Having a training plan to follow has made me really focus and enter a couple of practice runs (even though sometimes, like today, I REALLY don't want to go for a run image).   I am really enjoying it though and may have 'got the bug'.....

Anyway, that's my background - as for you, don't lose heart about getting out there.  Weren't you ill and in A and E recently?  That's bound to slow you down a bit, with your body needing time to get better etc.  Am I right in thinking you've entered a summer race?  Are you following any plan (not obsessively, in fear, like me, just as a guide?).  Maybe you could run with a partner to encourage each other to get out there,  the times i've arranged to meet a friend are the times I know I can't back out, even if I feel like it .  image

Soooooooo, in celebration of all beginners egging each other on ... *pops the cork and hands Blithe a glass*.  of course, when we all get in through VLM ballot, it'll be juice only image

• Options

well I am returner -starting again from couch 14 1/2st ,COPD and 40 a day fag habit to has enterred VLM ballot for 2010. Started January. Did 5k on 50th birthday in 27:36. Fags gone 10k next.

so up for it and if I can do it......................

have faith allimage

• Options

DP, Slowsnail and Hoose,

Thanks for that - I was starting to feel a little out of it..

I was ill recently, but am finding it so hard to motivate myself to actually get out there! I know that I feel great afterwards, and proud of myself, and all of that, but it is almost like I just don't 'see' myself as a runner??

• Options

Maybe a little reward system would work?

I'm naughty, I promise myself silly treats after runs - chocolate or rubbish magazines about dodgy celebrities.......

FWIW - we see you as a runner Blithe.  image  So expect reports back on your next run image

• Options

Blithe - read your very first post when you started this thread, it should be all the inspiration you need.

• Options

Hi Blithe

what an earth does a runner look like?  Some wierd shapes and sizes of peops running when I watch a race or pass em in training. All putting one foot in front of tother and not walking- so runners. Yes some look like those in the olympics but most dont.  AInt it a bit like giving up the guitar coz you dont sound like Hendrix at the begining? 

Maybe you are concerned at what others may think you look like. 

keep on plodding

• Options

imageBS come on girl - we know you can do it - dont worry about not seeing yourself as a runner - when you get out there you are doing a hell of a lot more than most!!!!! - I mean what is a runner????? All of us are runners (and that includes you girl) no matter how slow or how fast , it doesn't matter.

imageI have entered 10mile midnight walk in June - so part of my weely training is to go out & walk for a few miles - so why don't you just walk for  a while & as you feel like it try a few short jogs??

imageI think as the other guys & gals suggest - find a plan that you like & try to follow it, I found the beginners half mara plan helped me - if you have something to follow you will find in no time you are looking forward to your next outing AND it doesn't matter what time you do it in xx Take it slow Remember I was PLOD on the previous forum 7 my motto was slow but sure - If old Plod can do so can you xx

imageI was 56 last week (YUK) and only started running 3yrs ago - with a 1yr break in between!!!!!!!) & to date I have done 5k, 10k x3, half maras x3 and now training for my 4th half mara but let me tell you I ain't no Paula ha ha.

TTFN Nessie

• Options

You are kind all of you - thank you so much for the support.

I will try and get out there today..

• Options

imageGood for you BS - its pouring down here & windy (Gloucestershire) & I am definately going out later for run - I sweat so much a drop of rain can actually make me look a bit better ha ha

imageJust go out - you know you will feel so good mentally as well as physically once you taken those first steps - some of the plans are walk a bit jog a bit etc so don't think you have to go and run straight away - "slowly slowly catchy monkey" as they say, Whoever they are?????

imageLooking to the not too distant future , no reason why we couldn't enter a run & all try to meet up - I did this on another forum & some of the guys & gals there are better runners, been running longer etc  than me but one of the guys ran with me & encouraged etc etc all the way round & with him I knocked 6mins of my last  10k -

TTFN Nessie x

• Options

Blithe you go for it!

I can't imagine what I'm going to look like tonight - I'm going for my first post-injury run which is supposed to be a few easy 2-minute stints with walking breaks in between.  I'm going to wear some of my fancy new kit though; I bought it just before breaking myself so haven't had a chance to wear it yet!

• Options

imageHi Sarah, good for you take it easy, its great having new stuff isnt it?? I think if you feel good then that helps you along - sounds daft but it works for me imageHmmmmmmmmmm maybe I'm just daft !!!

imageJust back from run 4.05miles in 44.38mins - See what I mean I ain't no Paula ha ha, but a good few calories burned off & every little helps.

imageBS looking forward to hearing from you that you got out today no matter for how far or no matter what the time - just as long as you did. xx

TTFN Nessie

• Options

At last!  Just come back from my little run and it felt so good to be back out in the fresh air again!  Only did 5 minutes broken into 3 parts over a total of 12 minutes, and the leg is feeling ok *touches wood*

And I looked 'great' in my new stuff with my oh-so-sexy compression shorts coming half way down my thighs... image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Sarah,

Nice one.

• Options

Hey Blithe,

Just read the title, first post and last page so sorry if I've missed lots in the middle! Just wanted to answer  your question re 'can couch potatoes' run marathons?  I did a marathon when the longest runs i had done previously were 2 half marathons, one 7 miler, a couple of six milers and about 20 3-milers!   Walk-ran all the way, and finished in 6 hours... but i did it!!!! 

The amazing feeling of having completed a marathon stuck with me for weeks - and is still there, really, if I stop to think about it...

PS  I'm not recommending my 'training schedule' - setting yourself up for 6 hours of HELL!!   Now really wanting to do another but actually to train for it, so its only 4 hours of agony instead of 6, haha.

• Options

Finally stepped off the wii fit for some exercise for a change! Physio had given me the allclear to do light jogging so bit the bullet today. Theres a local park near here that I've used on and off for the past 6 years or so. My 'returns' to running always start there. approx .75 of a mile round the perimeter. Walked first lap, but did 2x1 min jogs. Second lap included 2x2 mins. Only very very light jogging, but BOY it felt good to be out there! Came back and did another 45 mins on the wii.

Happy days! Hope all's well with y'all image

• Options

Bravo RW - well done!

Have you got the new wii game as well?

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Finally got out today - day one of w1r1 and really pleased I did!

• Options

Blithe - nice one, just got to keep it up, start slowly, dont over do it and you will avoid injuries, but more crucially keep your motivation

• Options

Please may I join you, you all seem super friendly and my level.

A bit about me.Been running since last October and I'm a really slow plodder 12min miles. Longest runs now 7miles. I've completed a 7K race (and didn't come last image) a couple of weeks ago, I have a 10k lined up for July, Great South Run in October and in the ballot for VLM. I've joined a really great club which has helped tremendously.

I'm struggling to lose 1/2 stone (already lost 2 in the last  year) - kid myself I can eat loads more because I run. Trying to shift a nasty cold which has left me feeling I'm back a square one - well almost. I know I need to get out more than twice a week (why do I keep making excusesimage) and I know I need to do intervals/fartlek to get faster (so what's stopping meimage).

Someone kick me and tell me to get on with it.

Weather here beautiful today - looks like a hot one.

• Options

Hello everyone - I hope you don't mind me sticking my head in here.

I've done four 10ks so far (in the last year), but am still very much a beginner - the longest I've run without stopping is 1.5k! I think I just tend to throw myself around the track image

I too entered the VLM ballot, and am starting a 'from scratch' - ie, walk/run - program next week along with some strength/weight training to try and shift some weight (am over 19st right now @ 6' tall image ). Hoping by the end of the year to have dropped 4st or so image

Have read the whole thread and you guys are so encouraging!!

• Options

Hi there Blithe,

I did exactly the same thing as you - I went to watch a friend running the FLM and announced to my husband that next year I was going to do the same. He still thinks I'm crazy. However! For the last five or so weeks I've been following the RW beginner's plan and I'm now running 8 mins at a time, 3 reps, 3 times a week. Such a big improvement from when I could run for about 2 mins before hurting.

I'm running a race for life 10k at the end of July and Run to the Beat at the end of September because I need to be able to work towards specific goals - it won't work for me if I just say to myself 'I am going to run'. Being able to run the full 30 mins still feels like a long way off, but I'll get there...

• Options
    afternoon, isn't it a lovely day?

Good to hear that other people are getting back outside - well done K on losing 2 stone, that's amazing.  I find intervals really difficult to do on my own, much better when i've got someone else there even if we're at different speeds etc. 

Long run (12k) planned for 7.30 tomorrow morning which will take us to 9 once we've back and stretching - then my first bike ride for a year on Sunday.  Eeek.

Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine.