Options

Can't lose weight, what is wrong with me?

Comments

• Options

HTA- It is a very good point about calculating calories burnt, I am using a Garmin forerunner 305, have always taken calories burnt during exercise as an estimate though and don't add those calories onto my eating allowance. For a half hour run it says I burn around 300-340cals depending how far I manage to run, but like I say I don't count them as additional calories to eat. From calorie count things I've looked at on the web that seems about right for my weight and distance covered, but can never be sure of these things.

The calorie count thing on the wii probably isn't that reliable but I do that more for the muscle building, it has lots of squats, lunges, jumping lunges etc and the upper body stuff is pushing me as usually quite sore for a few days after using it. I take the DOMS as a good indication that I am working my muscles hard enough.

I just do lots of walking as I enjoy it. Did walk for 2hrs a day at one point but was giving me problems with my hip( I think because a lot of the paths round here have quite a steep camber on them) which were jeapordising me being able to run. So cut the walking back to an hour a day and my hip stays pain free(Although as nursery off just now it has been 1.5-2hrs walking but at a much slower pace with toddler on bike).

Just off for a walk just now and finish work at 5pm and then off til 4th August so will be able to walk til my hearts content and get some running done during the day instead of early morns or late nights. Trees have grown so big round here this year that can't see the grass when your running on it late at night, trees are blocking out all the light. Was a bit scary at times last night, one because of being female on her own running late at night and two because couldn't see where I was running. Had a few of those moments where you think you're on the bottom step but aren't, fortunately they were just little ones and didn't result in any falls or injuries.

TT ;0)

• Options

The Garmin calorie counts are waaaay too high from experience - even after you've put in your height/weight/sex etc.

I usually use 100 cals per mile as a fair estimate whether running or walking - pace is largely irrelevent give or take some afterburn. Cycling is about a third of that per mile.

• Options

Runnersworld calc say I burn 386cals so more than the Garmin says.

TT ;0)

• Options

I would say 100cals per mile is prob right if you are a healthy weight, but lugging 5.5stone extra on your run has to make a little bit of a difference.

TT ;0)

• Options
    Yes, agreed, so assuming 3-ish miles 386 cals is about right.
  • Options

I'm rather interested to know if you have had your thyroid test results back from the doctor. Only because I have a tiny problem with weight gain myself. However, my thyroid test results were significant allied to the fact that I quit smoking - I had only gained just under a stone from the time I gave up smoking to when I was diagnosed. That was a couple of months ago and I have managed not to gain any more weight despite not being able to train AT ALL, NIL, NADA because of injury.

What am I trying to say ? .... even if you are hypothyroid (which I guess you wont be as you dont describe any other symptoms and they can be significant and very noticeable) it is possible to limit weight gain 'damage' when you have an underactive thyroid.

Anyway - I need to start my own thread about weight loss rather than gate-crash yours

Good Luck

• Options

The points made about VLCDs are valid, of course, but what many people don't seem to be taking into account is that for some overweight people, the boost felt by 'kick-starting' the weight loss through a VLCD enables them to stay motivated to shift the rest in an appropriate way.

Sass xx

• Options
    Interesting article about calories in this month's new scientist entitled 'the calorie delusion'.

Can't link unfortunately - the link thingy doesn't work on my mac.

www.newscientist.com

• Options
    Interesting so wholegrain sandwich of  raw egg and steak is the way forwards image
  • Options
    image did they walk the cow through a warm kitchen first?
  • Options
    i know - doesn't sound too appetising but it does help to explain why very precise calorie counting will leave some dieters frustrated. Using my husband and I as an example. We race each other occasionally (mmm fun all the family can enjoy) and have suunto heart rate monitors - not perfect but I believe they are the most exact you can get.

So - 6 mile race - he burnt 900 cals, I burnt 540.

So if we are both trying to create a 500 cal deficit a day - it is going to be a lot easier for him than for me - especially if we are working from faulty data in the first place (i.e. input calculations are off). THEN add in the other little fabulous fact about calories which is that the 3500 for a pound of fat actually differs from person to person ...................it's certainly not a level playing field.

Anecdotal I know - but in training for the london marathon in 2006, I ran 1.5 times the miles my husband did, cross trained, watched what I ate - stayed the same.

He ate constantly, complained of being starving all the time, snaked on curry and beer and lost 1.5 stone - AAAAAHHHH
  • Options

Mens BMR is higher than a womens, so women "need" less calories to start with anyway.

I also wonder if men can burn fat more efficently due to increased muscle mass etc.

• Options
    He ate constantly, complained of being starving all the time, snaked on curry and beer and lost 1.5 stone - AAAAAHHHH

I'm eating curry in my menu though looking at portion control and going for slightly healthier versions.
  • Options

I believe that is the case Danowat, have seen nutritionists etc saying similar thing on weightloss program in the past. Men generally find it easier to lose weight as they can increase their muscle mass much more and quicker than women. It is a general statement of course and all men are different too, some gain muscle very quickly with little effort, some don't.

TT ;0)

• Options
    I don't think its easier for anyone really, be they male or female, its still a numbers game, its just the numbers are different.
  • Options
    If anyone has any spare comments please could they visit my thread about losing weight - I would really appreciate it
  • Options

Dizzysheep- haven't had results back yet and she's checking for other things too other than thyroid, for instance blood count as that could explain the tiredness. Even if my thyroid is off I know it would not explain all of the weight gain, most of it is due to terrible pregnancy and not being able to exercise during pregnancy or for periods in the year before the pregnancy due to injury from a fall and back problems and a miscarriage. But it could be responsible for weight gain of over a stone since pregnancy, despite healthy eating and exercising and difficulty losing that weight. It is just something to check as it is in my family as are several other autoimmune diseases (ceoliac, psoriatic arthritis etc) which can make you more likely to develop thyroid problems.

TT ;0)

• Options
    Wheres yours Dizzy?
  • Options
    TT - I hope you find out soon and if it is autoimmune at least you will know what you have to battle with image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    ~* Sass *~ wrote (see)

The points made about VLCDs are valid, of course, but what many people don't seem to be taking into account is that for some overweight people, the boost felt by 'kick-starting' the weight loss through a VLCD enables them to stay motivated to shift the rest in an appropriate way.

Sass xx

But if your BMR drops as a result of starving yourself, then you've thrown away your best friend when it comes to losing weight. If you want to lose weight, and sustain the weight loss, you really need to keep your BMR high. The consequence is that you have to lose weight slowly ... set a 1-2 year goal rather than a 1-2 month goal.

Losing weight too quickly will result in BMR dropping to half it's rate ... so while it's motivating to see the weight loss at first, it will slow down and you end up with threads like "Can't lose weight, what's wrong with me?"

• Options
    Hot Tub I have no idea how to link but its called'Help - I cant lose weight' (very original...I know image )
  • Options
    Thank you Dr Dan - I managed to track it down in the end!
  • Options
    Flip - I'm being stalked image Woo Hoo
  • Options

Thanks Dizzy, I doubt it is but thought I'd best get it checked anyway.

There is possibility of being anemic mind as was during pregnancy, and monthlies were very heavy for a long time when returned after stopping feeding. My Mum also has pernicous anemia so have to be on the look out for that as tends to kick in about my age. So worth getting everything checked, just to be safe.

TT ;0)

• Options

Having read most of this thread I feel it is time to wade in with my bluntness and honesty.

I have successfuly lost a smidgen over 3 stone with the Cambridge Diet, on 560 cals per day some weeks allowing up to 1000 cals at times. I included running in my weekly schedule building to 3 times a week with weight training also included. This was in conjunction with the intelligent help and advice from the Cambridge Diet counsellor and a coresponding increase in food intake on days I would need it.

I did not suffer ANY muscle degredation (as has been thrown around on here) despite my VLCD and with intelligence applied you won't. I have seen a increase in muscle mass, both in my legs and all other areas I intended to affect, and have dropped my BMI from 34.1 to 28.6. I now do 6 miles 3 times a week and  have not suffered from ANY of the effects that others on this thread have warned as deadly and dangerous. It is all about healthy, educated and informed decisions instead of half cocked hearsay that a mates half brother may or may not have heard in a pub whilst walking his duck home from the pub.

It is always best to consult people who are paid so that they are responsible for what they advise instead of relying on google based hypothesis and forum based advice from anyone who can claim whatever they like.

• Options

Elmodiddly- It's nice to see someone argueing the case for the other side. Well done on your weightloss and I am glad it has worked out well for you.

TT ;0)

• Options

Menu for today was :-

Breakfast - 2 slice of toast with cheese and tomato

Lunch - Lettuce, cucumber and Turkey sandwich & yoghurt

Dinner - Rice,brocolli, sweetcorn, peas, red pepper and soya beans in tomato and herb sauce with oven baked Cod

Supper - 2 dutch crispbakes with cottage cheese, some wafer thin ham and a pot of fruit

990cals all in

TT ;0)

• Options
    LOL - mates half brother walking duck - love it.