Options

Can't lose weight, what is wrong with me?

Comments

• Options

Not being an expert but having lived with an athlete at uni and was subjected to Uk athletic nutritionalist raiding our fridge all the time this is what i learnt:

If you do not feed your body enough (ie eat little and often/not enough calories) it does not know when or how much it will next get fed- therefore it stores everything as fat

but when your body knows its going to be fed regularly and well it doen't have to store everything as fat as it knows it'll be fuelled up again soon!  So eat smaller meals often!

I don't mean to sound patronising as i sense it might come across but until it was spelt out to me in  this way i thought by eating only one meal a day i was doing my body a favour- how wrong I was!  And when I fell into the same trap this year I ballooned and hence why I took up the running and started to eat sensibly again!

Again I am no expert but syrely 990 calories is not enough?

• Options
    Of course - Elmodiddly - you too could be part of the forum based advice from people who can claim whatever they like..

;-)
  • Options

And I gained weight on the 'little and often' system - that's what I meant upthread about different things working for different people.

Sass xx 

• Options

Walked 6.62km this afternoon, was actually really good walk even though poured with rain the whole time and I bent my nail back when putting my raincoat on, hit it off the buggy handlebar, was flaming sore.

Will run tonight when teeny in bed, which should be fairly early she has been going down around 8:30pm last few days. Meeting running buddy at 7:30am for longer run in the morning. She lives in the middle of nowhere so we usually go for a run up in the hills followed by a walk afterwards, accompanied by lots of sheep baaing at us usually.Very good for the soul.

TT ;0)

• Options

Menu today:-

Breakfast -2 slice of nimble wholemeal toast  & 2 omega poached eggs

Lunch- sweetcorn, peas and brocolli with a little rice and half a can of tuna in water

Afternoon snack- apple and kiwi fruit

Dinner - Pork chop with fat removed and a mountain of green beans and baby carrots

Supper- 2 dutch crispbakes with philadelphia and a pot of fruit

Did half hour of yoga on the wii fit too which haven't used for ages since I got wii active.

GA- what on earth was the duck thing all about?

TT ;0)

• Options
    Read elmodiddy's post he mentions it.....
  • Options

So it is, I read that too, but had forgotten about it by time I came back and read GA's post. Ta WG.

Was thinking GA had gone a bit mad.

TT ;0)

• Options

This weeks weight 212.6lb, down 5.6lb.

TT ;0)

• Options

Off to running buddy's for what I call my long run, only 60 mins at mo but we're adding 5 mins on every couple of weeks, trying to get back to the 2 hour run that we used to do when we were training for half marathon. That was a great de-stresser and calorie burner for a sat morn, looking forward to getting my fitness back to that level.

TT ;0)

• Options

Good going TT.

Sass xx 

• Options

Thanks Sass!

Onward and downwards so to speak, feeling really positive and happy. Looking forward to a nice relaxing day in the house just enjoying being with the kids.

Run was fab, did 7.5km and didn't have to stop for a walk on any of the hills. Then walked another 2.5km back to house, had a great chat (the main reason we run together). My running buddy is my best friend of 26 years and think at least one of us would have had a breakdown before now if it weren't for our runs together, it certainly dragged her out of the pits of post-natal depression and stopped us murdering our husband's in a mad pmt moment.

We had a good laugh when she went to doc about depression and doc asked if she had ever thought about harming herself, she replied no but I've thought about harming lots of other people, even the doc laughed.

TT ;0)

• Options

Food today:-

Slimfast at 6:30am, didn't have much time and wanted something quick and easy to digest before run.

Lunch:- 2 slice toast, one with tuna and tomato and one with ham and tomato + a boiled egg

Afternoon snack:- shape yoghurt

Dinner:- one chicken thigh and one chicken drumstick with large salad

Probably have a bowl of cereal for supper, haven't decided yet. Shredded wheat maybe.

TT ;0)

• Options
    Small point TT, (and maybe someone will correct me), but I think you should have something to eat as soon as possible after your run. This will restock your glycogen levels in the muscle and force your body to burn fat rather than muscle. Someone mentioned wholemeal toast and peanut butter, which is what I use and it works for me. Or you could maybe have a protein bar/shake...
  • Options

Good point WG, was away from home  as running buddy lives about 25 miles away from me so couldn't make anything to eat, by the time I had travelled to her house, did run, then travelled home and showered it was lunchtime so felt like I was eating just after run, but actually wasn't. Maybe will look into taking a cereal bar/flapjack type thing with me in future if can find one that is packed with healthy carbs rather than just sugar.

Did feel very tired at about 9 last night which immediately disappeared when had bowl of shredded wheat so was obviously needing the carbs.

TT ;0)

• Options
    I know exactly where you're coming from when it comes to eating after a run. I usually end up having to do a million other things and forget to eat, then wonder why I feel so crappy later on!
  • Options

Read a few articles on here and they recommend fruit juice, a fruit yoghurt or something like rice pudding, all easy enough to take in the car.

TT ;0)

• Options

I know you often feel on a high after a long run, full of energy, so just don't think about eating. Then as day goes on you get more and more knackered. Fruit juice or a sports drink probably the easiest thing if have no appetite, you are always thirsty, drank a litre of water after yesterdays run. Could easily have mixed some orange juice in with my water.

TT ;0)

• Options

yep you should re-stock on carbs soon after running. Often I'll have no appetite but I have choc milk or make myself a smoothie so I'm getting nourishment and fluids until my next proper meal.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I saw an amazing thing on TV a few months ago- they took a dozen skinny folk, made them eat twice their usual calorie intake for a few weeks, and watched what happened. Big money prize for those who managed it, and very carefully monitored.

Some simply could not force them selves to eat the stuff, they were sick all the time, and had to give up. 

Some of the ones who DID manage to double their food intake gained weight  (but not as much as expected), but one or 2 didn't put much on at all. They analysed it all with great care- the conclusion was that some of the subjects altered their BMR upwards to compensate (therefore v. little weight gain), while others didn't, and put on more weight. The alteration in BMR came partly from unconcious fidgeting, partly seemed more basic change in metabolism.  They all lost it fairly easily when they went back to normal diet.

They concluded that for most people there's a "set weight" which is very difficult to shift from (sorry- bit disheartening).

They didn't have any suggestions about how to adjust the "setting". 

• Options
    I think that's a huge oversimplification of what that programme said.  It also interviewed the slim folk and found that they never carry on eating when they are not hungry, never eat because they are "bored", or to make themselves "happy".  Yes they did say that their metabolism shifted to accommodate the extra food but the study also had a number of other findings which are much less determinist. 
  • Options

Breakfast - porridge with blueberries

Lunch - sandwich with turkey, tomato, cucumber and wholegrain mustard

Forgot to have afternoon snack, was running about doing grocery shopping etc

Dinner - Roast  beef, mashed potato, carrots and gravy

Still got 330 calories left for supper. Think I'll have some fruit and yoghurt and if not hungry will carry cals forward to tomorrow.

Need to drink lots of water tonight as not had enough today, been rushing around and forgotten. need to get in habit of carrying a bottle of water with me.

Going for a 30 minute run tonight after teeny in her bed.

TT ;0)

• Options

Never seen that programme so can't really comment.

TT ;0)

• Options

Breakfast - Porridge with blueberries and blackberries

Lunch - Sandwich with tomato, cucumber and ham

Afternoon snack - half a banana and an apple

Dinner - two tortilla wraps with chicken, peppers and red onion and a large salad

Supper - Going to have two dutch crispbakes with cottage cheese

Drank 2.5 Litres of water

Ran 3.83km and walked 5.25km

TT ;0)

• Options
    keep up the good work TT
  • Options

Thanks beebs, you too!

Was watching The biggest loser tonight and can't get over the size of the people on it. The thing is there are people on it who weigh about the same as me and either they are A LOT shorter than me or have a lot less muscle and bone than me,because they look a lot bigger. I got mini Tangy to take some photos of me last night to have as my before pics to compare to my after pics when reach goal weight. But also so I could make sure I didn't look as big as the people on the Biggest Loser LOL. The mirror often isn't a good judge of how you look, I find photos give your mind a more honest picture. But I definitely am not as big and lumpy as them. 

TT ;0)

• Options

Know what you mean TT.  No-one believes I weigh as much as I do.  Aren't clothes wonderful!

Keep on keeping on.

Sass xx 

• Options

Breakfast- 2 slice of toast with tomato + kiwi, bluberries & blackberries

Lunch- Ham and mustard sandwich with some brocolli, carrots and mange tout

Snack- half a banana (shared it with teeny)

Dinner- Tin of tuna with rice, brocolli, sweetcorn and peas

Still got 270 calories left but don't know what I want to eat, can't be bothered, might just go to bed and add calories on to tomorrow.

Drank 2 Litres of water.

Walked 7.53km.

Setting alarm to go for run in the morning before I take my car in for it's MOT.

TT ;0)

• Options

Food yesterday:-

Breakfast- 2 slice of toast with tomato and marmite

Lunch- Ham, tomato, cucumber and lettuce sandwich

Snack- half a banana

Dinner- wholemeal pasta with homemade sauce (tinned tomatoes, garlic, mixed herbs, cannellini beans and spinach)

Supper-2 dutch crispbakes with philadelphia light and ham & a glass of skimmed milk

Had 2.5 Litres of water

917 calories, 13g fat, 142g carbohydrates, 55g protein

Ran 3.92km which is furthest I've run in 30 mins since before I was pregnant. I know it's measly compared to what most people on this site can run but it's going in the right direction. Hope to be back up running over 5km in the next few months.

TT ;0)

• Options

Not measly at all - what matters are YOUR goals, not other people's.

Sass xx