Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

CazSoul - she's a tried and tested physio, she helped me sort out a troublesome achilles last year, so I think she knows what's she's doing. And she got the thumbs in there working!! Ouch!!!

Thanks GP & Teuchter, I know you guys are right. MUST follow the advice and not run. I'm not panicking about Edinburgh  yet, but I will be in a few weeks, if it's not right by then.

Teutcher - Santiago in Chile - very nice!! I went there a few years ago. I friend of mine went to live in Chile, so me & Mr Plodder went for a visit. We spent Christmas in Santiago before we went off for an explore around the Chile.

We did a good day trip to Valparaiso from Santiago. Pablo Neruda had a house there, which was really interesting to look around, especially if you've seen El Postino.

• Options

Nothing beats the pain of the fizzy jamming their thumbs into an already tender area. image  Sending you healing vibes so get ready to catch them.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you maybe cycle of something instead of running just to keep your fitness up, obviously only with the fizzys say so.  As Teuchter says no point going out there too early and ending up benched for 2 months instead of 2 weeks.

• Options

I was so gutted yesterday I didn't even think to ask what else I can do, but I'm back there tomorrow for more thumb jamming, so I need to ask. Cycling would be ideal, but even swimming would be better then nothing.

You never know I might end up going for a tri........image

• Options

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Wash your mouth out with soap & water young lady!! image

Hopefully the fizzy will have some positive news for you. *fingers crossed*

I really need to get my Nike+ sorted out, since I bought a new sensor for my trail tainers I've not been able to get the calibration right and its doing my head in... It said I'd done over 16miles last Sunday when it was 14.1 and then 4.49 on Wednesday when it was only 4 so there is not consistency there on the amount its out... If it doesn't behave itself I'm gonna be sorely tempted by the Garmin 205 on special at SweatShop at the moment.  I've got 15 scheduled in for tomorrow and I dont want to be running further than necessary or even worse not as far as I think LOL.

• Options

hi all

bbp, hope it goes ok at the fizz

ive just booked a post edinburgh run on 31st of may, doing the bupa london 10,000 with my big sis, shes not into running as much as me at the mo but shes getting there so thought id do it with her, hope im ok for a slow plod around the smoke.

back to the training ive got a 10miler planned for sunday and just gonna build my sunday runs up from there with a half planned on 28th febimage

• Options

BBP, hope you're not out for too long. Don't worry about the time off, you'll soon catch it up.

My Runner's World subscription has now run out but that's not a bad thing really. I think after about 3 issues I realised that there's not too much more they can tell you about a sport that is basically putting one foot in front of the other. An article I read last year sometime talked about the benefits of running backwards - as if.......and I've never seen anyone out doing it, not even in that month surprisingly! I think that is when I realised that they're struggling to fill pages. The only thing I'll miss is some of the bits you can't get to on this site but I'm sure I'll cope.

Did some intervals yesterday and thought I was doing really well until I measured the route I did on mapmyrun to be 5.6 miles and my watch said 6.1. I'd been timing miles so no wonder they felt easier it was 10% out! Might try a longish run tomorrow, maybe about 16 miles, need to start getting the mileage up as that's the biggest piece of the jigsaw.

Good luck all with racing, training and of course, recovering.

• Options

Morning all - been in Cardiff all week and too busy to log on (can you imagine that?)

So sorry to hear of your troubles BBP and hope you get healthy again soon.

I have had injuries only a few weeks out from marathons and just went on the cross trainer (step machine) at the gym. It really helped with with CV stuff and did not affect the knee injury that I had. The only drawback was that my legs were not conditioned for road running so they really struggled in the second half of the race. The main thing is that if you can keep 'ticking over' then you don't need to worry for at least six weeks (IMHO) Bike also helps but I find that cycling is like running for wimps (there - I said it)

I also like Lucozade drinks but only the hydro active ones. The rest are minging!

Anyone racing this weekend? I have a 10k in Huddersfield but the calf muscle is very tight so going to take it easy.

Have a good weekend everyone

• Options

Been out for a 9miler this morning... It was meant to be 15 but I've swapped this week & next week over on the plan so I could do the shorter one today as we've got friends coming over tonight for a burns supper (a bit late I know) and I'm not sure that falling asleep in my haggis is acceptable behaviour for the hostess with the mostess.

Ok would any of you think any less of me for wearing a water belt at Edi???  I've been using it in training and I have to admit I like having my drink there for whenever I need it, which is little and often otherwise I feel sick and get a killer stitch.

BBP what did the fizzy say???

• Options
    bburn plodder wrote (see)
    went to live in Chile, so me & Mr Plodder went for a visit. We spent Christmas in Santiago before we went off for an explore around the Chile.

We did a good day trip to Valparaiso from Santiago. Pablo Neruda had a house there, which was really interesting to look around, especially if you've seen El Postino.

BBP - nice one!  Spent a couple of days in Santiago, and currently up at the observatory (La Silla) till Wed.. Did you go North to San Pedro at all during your travels ? If so- any tips or hints would be useful as I finish off the trip with a few days up there.... Hope the ankle is getting plenty of rest - remember not to tempt fate with it before it's ready image

Beetroot - I agree about the RW subscription thing - I've had the mag for about a year now and ashamed to say that it's got to the stage wherer they dont even make it out of the cover before the next one arrives image Must can it as soon as  I get back....

• Options
    Just popped in and too lazy to read through all the comments so apologise if this is repeated.  Is anyone following one of the Runners World 16 week schedules?
  • Options

Welcome along Tortoise. Most of the team on here are following schedules but not sure which ones. I'm following the idiots schedule which has me running marathons in March, April and May - but it's all good fun.

I had a good one today and made my first sub 40 10k at Meltham. A very hilly course which was a little slippy underfoot due to freezing temperatures last night but managed 15th place in 39.39. Did the last mile in 4.54!!!!!

I think I also won my category image which is over 35 image

Trouble is I didn't hang around for the prizes - I wonder if they will send it to me?

• Options

well done R Dave

thats an amazing time image

• Options

Hi RT - yep, I'm using the RW interactive Smart Coach over 16 weeks:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

I actually started it at the beginning of the year, to built in a bit of contingency for injuries (I'll be amazed if I dont incur any before Edinburgh! ) I'm quite happy with the targets so far, esp the LSRs, but I found the  tempo targets pretty hard going....

• Options
    Thanks Angie - I'm pretty chuffed
  • Options
    RD 3 marathons wow I can only just visualise 1and now 16 weeks is here panicing slightly. Great time for 10kine are usually between 56 - 57

teuter wished I'd have thought of that

Good luck with training everyone and hope everything goes OK with fizzy bbp
  • Options

Dave, that's a fantastic run. image

Hi Tortoise,

I'm (loosely) following the RW sub-4 schedule as I only run 4 times a week. But it worked for me at Loch Ness in October (3.55), so happy to give it another go. I think most schedules have some slack built in. It's just important to get into a routine and try to be disciplined. Sitiing here with a glass of red, that's easy to say! 

• Options

R-Dave....Brilliant time, well done.  4.54 for the last mile!!!!!!!, those digits are'nt on my garminimage

I also doing the RW 16week plan, and there is definately a lot of slack built into mineimage

• Options

im using the RW 16 week plan too

well to a point i am, fitting it around work and kids, but the LSR is gonna be the same (i hope)

anyway i will get there (not as quick as R Daveimage)

but i'll be thereimage

• Options

I'm following Shades plan, except I extended it to about 26 weeks to allow for illnes/bad weather/family stuff... Good job too considering I had to write off most of January due to the snow & ice's extended visit.

image4.54 *thud*  Bloomy oomer Dave... Well done.  

• Options

Hi Guys, the latest news from the sidelines, fizz says still no running. I asked about cycling or boxing, to keep the cardio going but no to those tooimage.

I am allowed to swim, but not push off from the side !!!! I find doing lengths a bit boring, but I might have a go this week.

For those who are interested in these things, it's my tibialis posterior that's buggered!! image Never heard of it myself!

Teutcher - I'm afraid I never made it as north as San Pedro, we spent most of our time in the South - lakes, volcanoes etc.  We didn't get to the desert, time and funds became depleted..................

Flipping heck R Dave, that's fantastic . You whippet you image.

• Options

Sorry to hear that, bbp. Not good  news. image

Hopefully once this is cleared up, all will be ok through to the end of May. At least you've got time to make up for lost time!

• Options

Good running R Dave - that's a nice milestone to break, particularly good on a hilly course - well done.

I used a training schedule for London last year - it was one off the subscription bit. I thought it was pretty good but very intense. This time I'm making it up as I go along but with that schedule in the back of my mind. My long runs are mid week as I've not got time anywhere else. Doing one this Friday night, that's just wrong. Next week I'll do a Thursday one if I can.

Hope all goes well BBP, good to know what it is and what to expect.

• Options

Thats a bummer BBP, hopefully you wont be benched for too long. Make sure you follow the fizzys instructions to the letter.  Speedy recovery sweetie.

We've got snow AGAIN... Grrrrrr & Brrrrrr!!!!  Been out for a 4miler in it tonight and boy is it hard work on the lickle leggies.  The trail trainers are fab though, didnt have any problem with slipping or sliding thank goodness.

• Options

BBP....Heres to a speedy recoveryimage

Caz...it was the same in our neck of the woods, managed to get out for 7m just as the 1st flakes were falling. It went colder throughout the run but so glad i didnt leave it till later, otherwise it would of been a rest day.
    Are you using the garmin, and what do you think.

• Options

Where are the girls n guys from Berlin, we avin a few beers at the end of the race so you may aswell come across now.
    Red Panda....this is where i am staying www.the-salisbury.co.uk , think its only 10mins from the start line.

• Options

I didnt use the Garmin last night, probably should've done as the snow seems to really upset the Nike+ it said over 6miles for a route that I know is only 4... Silly Nike!!!    I have it all set up now ready for Saturdays LSR, which is what I really bought it for (not just this Saturdays obviously cos that would be daft).  Have adjusted all the pace bands on it too to match my running a bit better as according to the standard settings my general running pace is a slow jog... Helloooooooooooooooo I do NOT jog!!! LOL 

Oooooh Mr CS came home with some good news the other day, the hotel we'd booked was over a grand for the 4nights we were planning on stopping but when he looked the other day the rates had changed so he re-booked it at the new rates and cancelled the old booking making a saving of over £500... Woohooo!!! More beer money... image

• Options

Evening all, thought its about time i pop in and say hi, just in the middle of trying to get a place switched over to my name (spot of awesome luck as i forgot to apply in time....again!)

im one of GP's Berlin gang & very much looking to the post race beverages image this will be my 4th marathon, fingers crossed will be able to get under 3hrs on this one! hope everyones training is going ok?

RDave, tried to replicate your last mile time of your 10k tonight.......no bloody chance! image

• Options
    Hi Darren, hope the name switch works OK and that you hit you target.

Having spent the week stripping paper from the lounge, stairs, etc., I've rewarded myself with a new pair of running shoes (which I do need). Have worn the GT2000 series for about 10 years (not the same pair, obviously). So scoured the internet for the best price for GT2150s and couldn't get below £75 but down at Merry Hill in Sports Direct I find them advertised at £62. Now usually you find that they only have size 15 in stock but a size 10 was available so it's sorted!

12 miles planned for tomorrow. Good running everyone.
  • Options

Not in your new shoesies though eh Goldeagle???

I've got a 15 planned for tomorrow with my new G-G-G-Garmin... Might put it back on charge tonight just to be on the safe side though.  Have tweaked and fiddled with it that much this week the poor thing is probably tired out already and I haven't even been out for a run with it yet.

• Options
    Quite right, Caz. I have been daft enough in the past to do run long runs in new shoes but on this occasion I think I'll leave them until some of the shorter stuff next week. Also, I think the state of the towpaths at the moment calls for old shoes.

Hope your Garmin works well. Have been really pleased with mine over the past year.