Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Angie, that's what I keep telling myself.

Still grumpy though.

Must resist the temptation to comfort eat to make myself feel better image

• Options

yeah i know that thought with not running when the snow was here i have done exactly that image

bloody willpower lol

anyway im back to it (if not a little slower than before the white stuff) and gonna work up the mileage slowly, got a 10k in lancashire on 31st of this month then half marathon at end of feb

so im getting there

go steady on it this weekend image

• Options

Oh no BBP, hope its just a temporary glitch and you're back on your feet before you know it. Sending you healing vibes too... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am out for a run with my friend tonight, should be slightly more pleasant than our slipping & sliding runs of the last two mondays.  And I'm hoping she'll be able to push out at least 3miles on regular pavements rather than snow & slush. *fingers crossed*

• Options
    BB, an injury at anytime is frustrating but its better now than with a week or 2 to go. Seems that there's a lot going on in an ankle. I had an injury going into London Marathon last year, I think it was down to the shoes I was wearing, they had a bit too much cushioning and the muscle that runs from the little toe, round the back of the ankle and up to the calf was straining. It felt bad at the time but a weeks rest and a change of shoes sorted it enough for me to run the marathon. I could still feel it for ages and it would swell up sometimes but didn't give me the pain that it did to start with. I went for a sports massage to try and sort it before the marathon and it certainly helped. Just knowing what it was and how to deal with it made me feel better. Hope it doesn't last for you, I'm sure it won't - if you only lose a week or 2 you'll be fine.
  • Options

Thanks for all the words of encouragement image.

I think that this injury may be semi-self-inflicted. I ran on the snow about 10 days ago for 12 miles. I felt nothing during the run, but afterwards I had a slight (and it was only slight) ache-iness down the inside of my left ankle. It went away after a day or so, and I took it easy during the week, just a 3 miler and 7miler (both on treadie, so nice & cushioned). Saturday was first run outdoors since, and it's in exactly the same place. I suspect that somehow running on snow I twisted or jarred it, and running on tarmac on Saturday has caused it to re-occur with avengence!!!

Know what you mean about shoes, though. I changed my shoes last summer from ASICS to Mizuno's. I instantly got real bad hip pain when running, and blackened & bleeding toe nails.  Very attractive !!! LOL.

I switched back to ASICS, problems solved instantly. It's weird, you wouldn't think a different shoe could make so much difference.

• Options

bburn it could be a problem with the little tiny tendon just under your ankle... massage the area to get blood flowing to it and lots of heel raises & calf stretches including the ones with your heels hanging over the edge of step.

I get a pain just under the sticky out ankle bone on the inside of my left leg/foot and thats what the physio has recommended I do, oh and sit with your legs out straight in front of you with toes pointing to ceiling then point your toes on the injured foot and turn your foot inwards, then reverse the move and repeat lots of times.

• Options

i have new balance shoes and they have stopped making the ones i use, but the wonder of the internet has meant i now have found some and have 2 pairs stored away image

ive never had any probs with them god help me when these run out

• Options

Afternoon all

Been a few days since i dropped in, and good to see you all still eager and committed.image

I managed get out yesterday for a 10k, 1st time on roads since NY Day and in my shorts.....proper running weather. Cant say the run was easy but at least its a start, and managed to try out my new trainers.
    Got the Brass monkey half next sunday, wont be any pbs, just be glad finish it.

BBP ....Take it easy and as others have said, at least you not started the plan yet....plenty of time yet.

• Options
    Thanks for the tips Caz, I'll try those stretches and stuff. It is just near the sticky out bit on the inside of my ankle, so sounds like they should help. Cheers image
  • Options

Hello all - loved running yesterday in shorts and all. I even extended the run to 12.5 miles although not the quickest for me. Just concentrating on volume at the minute - Going to worry about speed in March.

Completed 63.5 miles last week and 62 the week before - It 's great not to be injured and now the snow has gone I feel like whole new runner.

Good luck with Brass Monkey next week GP!

• Options

Cheers Dave

Well done with your mileage, you still got the Karma then. Is your next race New Zealand and when is it?

Caz / BBP...."sticky out bit"  I am so glad we not using medical terms for injury descriptions on this thread. image

• Options

GP, is that not the technical term for it??? imageimage  I couldnt think what you'd call it so BBP knew which bit on the ankle I meant.

Dave, are you trying to put the rest of us to shame with those miles???  Well done though, dont know how you've managed it with the pappy weather we've had... unless its passed you by...

• Options
    Caz...we all knew what you meant and i am happy to go with all your technical terms. image  even "Pappy" weather imageimage
  • Options

adj. pap·pi·er, pap·pi·est Of or resembling pap; mushy  

The examples of 'pappy' in the online urbandictionary.com are faaar too colourful to cut and paste here - I'm sure Caz wasn't meaning any of those image 

BBP - sorry to hear you're laid up - hope you sorted and back training asap! 

GP - you paying us a visit tonight ??

• Options

Pap - rubbish, naff, yuk (Caz dictionary) image   Don't worry, before long you'll find yourself using words that I slip into conversation too.  

Oooooh I was evil last night... I have a friend (I know its hard to believe, but I do have a real live proper friend) who has just started running with me again, now the last 1/2mile to my house is all uphill... Its not a steep hill by any stretch of the imagination but its constant and takes its toll on your legs... Anyhoo there was litterally not even 100mt left to go when she went, I cant go any further I've gotta stop... So what did I do??? I grabbed her arm and dragged her the last little bit... image  Amazingly she's said she'll come out with me again next week...

• Options

Caz - you didn't....... sheesh - you don't take any prisoners, do you..... image I can guess why she's agreed to run with you again next week.... just watch that she doesn't  'slip' on the canal towpath and 'accidentally' knock you in ! image

The final mile of me  9-miler last Sunday was a long relentless slog back up the hill to the house.... and for the last 100 yards I was absolutely fucked..... but because I was running with someone, I was determined not to stop before the finish.... I only found out when we'd stopped - that she'd felt exactly the same - but was determined not to lose face by pulling up short..... it's kill or cure.....

• Options

She gets fed & watered afterwards Teuchter... I was just making her earn her apple & blackberry pie with custard... image

Its amazing how much harder you'll push yourself when running with someone else isnt it??  That hill up to my house, the amount of times I've got halfway up it on my own and thought f*ck this I'm walking but when I'm with someone else I'll either push them into keeping going or they'll drag me up it... Mr CS drags me up it as I run harder routes with him so by the time we're heading home my legs are screaming for mercy LOL.

• Options

Caz...youre an hard woman, go on show us your Tats.

( for those not wearing glasses "I said Tats"...as in Tattoos ) image

Teuchter...yes i am paying you a visit not that i want to. Had an email from Sean and he doing Hill sessions tonight with Track nights on thursdays. really need to up the tempo i think.
    I gonna be in so much pain tomorrow.

• Options

With pleasure GP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I cant believe the weather has finally improved from snow to rain & thick fog and yesterday I started with a scratchy feeling in my throat which today feels like its gearing itself up to be a killer cold.  image  Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! *cough cough sniff*

• Options

Caz - I see you didn't need to be asked twice...... you brazen exhibitionist !  image No wonder you've got a cold if you keep exposing yourself  !  ( It's an occupational hazard in my case ...)

* Passes Caz a  hip-flask of brandy * .... Fill yer boots !

• Options

*wonders what Teuchter does for a living*  Are you a plumber/window cleaner/mechanic in one of those films?

Oooooh alckyhol *gulp* nyaaaah image!!  Thank you. image  Might have to make myself a hot toddy tonight... Although I did finish the decent whiskey off the other week when I made Mr CS one... Oh well, I'm sure Glenfiddich will do just as good a job as Highland Park...

• Options
    Just checking back in. Have been on a steady 2 miler today, suppose to have 2 weeks off after my op but i'm feeling a lot better and the boredom has well and truly set in, not even allowed to drive for a few more days, so i thought "sod it" and just took it steady. I might go for a 4 tomorrow and then a 7 on Saturday as long as i don't feel any pain, that way i've only lost 1 week and i'll soon be back on plan.
  • Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

*wonders what Teuchter does for a living*  Are you a plumber/window cleaner/mechanic in one of those films?

I'm sure 'milkman' ought to be somewhere on that list... I should be so lucky - fat chance! No - loitering around towpaths waiting for unsuspecting runners - and then tagging along with them - is purely a hobby - but it gets you out and about in the fresh air image

Although I did finish the decent whiskey off the other week when I made Mr CS one... Oh well, I'm sure Glenfiddich will do just as good a job as Highland Park...

<Receives back an empty hipflask from CazSoul - not a drop left>

I'm not much of a connoisseur of whisky, but I'm guessing that after the fourth tumbler, they all taste pretty much the same image

Hi Beavis - good to hear that you're back out training and haven't lost much out of your schedule image

• Options

Beavis be careful that you dont do too much too soon and end up back at square one.  Even the slightest little twinge and you stop straight away.  *does stern mummy face*

I'm not a big whisky fan, except in hot toddys... but Mr CS reliably informs me that Highland Park is far too good a whisky for hot toddys...like I ever pay any attention to what Mr CS has to say... sheesh... It is quite nice as far as whiskys go though.

Somethings happened to my speed...which wasnt there in the 1st place...normally I'm a happy little 11min mile plodder but my last couple of runs including last nights with Mr CS (which are normally quicker) have been considerably slower. image  What's gone wrong??? I'm gonna be closer to 6hours than 5 at this rate... Waaaaaah!!! image

• Options

Sending some get well vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~to CazSoul for her cold.

Poor You. Colds are really stinky.

I bet the drop in speed is because you are coming down with a cold. Have a little rest for a couple of days and I bet you'll be back to normal speed in no time.

• Options

I hope thats all it is BBP, I was really suprised when I looked at my Nike+ last night to see that I'd actually been going over a minute a mile slower than I thought I was.   image  Will have to have a stern word with my legs if this carries on.

Thank you for the get well vibes, is that a locket I can see in amongst them??? mnom mnom mnom...

• Options

*cowers at stern mummy face* 

CazSoul, I'll be sure to take it steady.

• Options

Just poppin in as this thread is now on page 3.

Depending on what you read,  you only get tits on page 3.image

• Options
    I had you down as a Guardian reader, Andy image
  • Options
    Call me picky if you like, but isn't this page 35????