Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi darren, good to see you over here.

Goldeagle....hope the new shoes work well for you. Know what you mean when you see cheap shoes on the internet, and only one size..........are they taking the piss image

Caz...we want a full report on the garmin with all the facts and figures from your runimage

• Options

Goldeagle - I'm also stripping this weekend image

Darren - try starting at the top of a very big hill as I found that this helps with a sub 5 minute mile!

Had my marathon buddy on the phone today trying to convince me to run Chicago. Entries opened this week for the 2010 race. I'd like to but just don't know if I can afford it. Will talk nicely to the missus and she if she thinks it's a good idea!

• Options

Hi all,

I'm well pleased with myself, i'm back in double digits, 10 miler yesterday with no issues, even if it was at snails pace.image

Caz, How you getting on with the Garmin, i've had mine for just over a year now and find it great, just start it going and it does everything you ask of it, set mine to alert every half mile during interval sessions and then you know when to put the hammer down, or chill. Only time it has played up a little was at London last year where it lost the plot around Canary Wharf, bloody big buildings, but there aren't many of those on the Staffordshire countyside so it's fine in general use.

BBP, sorry to hear about your injury, nothing worse when your in the swing of training and then you're told to stop by the fizzy.image

• Options

image  Garmin was fab, unfortunately I hadnt set the laps thingy up properly... I honestly thought I'd done it to lap automatically at every mile... Anyhoo 15miles in the bag (Woohoo!!!) and according to the little graph it was all at a fairly steady pace, no drastic drops or peaks so I'm happy with that. 

Quick question though... I got really bad cramp in the top quarter of my calf muscles when I stopped, it was starting to ache a bit in the last mile or so but nothing too bad until I'd finished and was walking out the last bit back to the car... Am I missing something or is this natural?  I was sipping on an isotonic drink as I went along (drank about 6fl oz) and munched on 3 ride shots... Don't know if that's relevant or not... oh and it took me just under 3hours....

• Options

Caz...dont think the 3 ride shots or isotonic drink has caused the cramps in your calf. You have to realise that you have just ran for nearly 3 hours and it will probably be just fatigue. Did you do any stretches when you finished and how is it today.
    Well done with getting the miles in the bag anyhow.

Ive got my garmin set for average pace, so once ive got it in my head what pace i want to run, its just a matter of keeping it at that pace. That way i am not bothered if i have done a fast or slow last mile.

Beavis...well done with the 10miler. 

• Options
    Beavis, well done on the 10 miles.

Caz, congratulations on the 15 miles. Maybe you were a bit dehydrated. You'd been running for nearly 3 hours and 6 fl oz doesn't sound a lot to me (that's just over a quarter of a pint isn't it?). For that distance I'd be drinking a pint beforehand and carrying the same amount with me.
  • Options

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I need to drink more when I'm out (6fl oz converts to about 170ml which is pathetic)... I'm rubbish at it and Mr CS is always moaning at me to drink more.  Will try to sip at more regular intervals on this weekends 16.  I stretched like mad afterwards GP and they felt fine the next day just the slightest ache in them when I 1st got up.  Just need to control the munchies afterwards now or I'm gonna end up a weeble by the time May comes around LOL.

Might look at the average pace setting for my LSR and see how I get on with that as the trees at the side of the canal kept upsetting it so one moment I was doing a 9min mile and the next a 12... Hmmmmm....

• Options

I know !!!

Still injured, not much to post image

Off topic, I'm off to an award dinner for some eco thingie tonight at the Royal York Hotel - anybody ever been there, what's the food like ??

Mr Plodder  has been shortlisted for some Yorkshire and Humberside eco friendly whatsit for something he did at work............I'm tagging along for a free nosh image.

I'm driving however image

• Options

Yay to the free nosh, boo to the driving so no free alkyhol.  Woohoo, Go Mr Plodder!!! image

How's the recovery coming on BBP?  I had to take last night off as I've got this niggly pain on the inside of my right shin.... I didnt notice it at all on Saturdays run, but when we went out on Monday for the 1st mile or so it felt like my leg was going to give way each time I landed on that foot... Very strange... image

• Options
    Can I join the non-running club, please? Saw the physio today about knee pain I've had for a couple of weeks. Doesn't really affect my running but thought I better get it checked out. He doesn't think it's anything serious. But called it some name I can't remember, prodded it a bit and told me to rest for a week! So there we go. Seeing him again next Tuesday so maybe I can get away with less than a week.

• Options

Oh NO Gold Eagle & Caz, hope you both recover soon.

Although very frustrating, I guess it's all part of being a "Marathon Runner"  LOL Not that I am yet, at this rate I may not ever actually make it to the start line image.

I saw the physio on Wednesday. She was funny. She said that we "aren't allowed to think about the  "R" word yet,  image    But I can start doing some balance and lower leg strength exercises at the gym and see how I get on with them.  It's a start I guess................

We are re-assessing next wednesday.  (Please please please let her say yes next week).

imageimageimageMr Plodder won the award in his catergory image He had his picture taken with some weather man from Look North who was presenting the awards.

I didn't know who he was cos we don't get Yorkshire TV, so we didn't recognise him even though he sat next to us at our table at the dinner. Whoops!

Lovely Free Nosh !! Shame about the lack of free alcofrol, but never mind, it was still a good do.

• Options
    Yay, well done Mr Plodder. imageimage  Was it Paul the weatherman??? 
    http://i.thisis.co.uk/2285/article/images/1553969/1256042.jpg

*shuffles up on bench*  Come join us for a wee while Goldeagle, its quite comfy on here. image

*crosses fingers, toes, eyes, legs for BBP* Hopefully she'll have good news for your next week hun, then we can all get back to being proper real life marathon runners and get on with the serious business of eating our body weight in pasta. image

• Options

Yep, that's him!!!  It was Paul the weatherman !!!!

Caz,  I'm still eating my own body weight, just not running. Yikes, I need to start soon, or this bench will collapse image.

• Options

Thats the problem with having a bench, one sits down and the others follow for a good old natterimage I think we should ban it and just put a stool in its place.

BP..it is good news and a start in the right direction doing the balancing and leg exercises. Stand on that stool for 10mins and let us know how you get onimage Hope you get the nod for running next wednesday, still bags of time till we meet at the start line.
    Well done to ur hubby aswell on the award.

Caz / goldeagle...hope things are ok.

Where is everybody else, not many doing this race is thereimage

• Options

You're right, apparently there aren't many of us doing it... Bum!!!! I felt sure there'd be loads of people there so I wouldn't be on my own at the back...  Oh well, on the plus side I guess there'll be loads of water at the stations. image

*tries to get comfy on edge of stool*  BBP shove over a bit, you're hogging more than half of it there...

I tried a little run/walk on the treadmill and my shin didnt feel too bad so fingers crossed it'll be fine on Saturday morning... Its not like 16miles is a long way really is it???  image

Edited for your/you're spellings...

• Options

Caz...is it the shin bone thats painful or the muscle area. Ive been getting pain on the inside of the calf for a couple of weeks and its the muscle area. Ive put it down to wearing orthotics and have just iced it every night, which seems to work.
    So you got a little 16m this weekend, good luck. At this rate with your long runs, edinburgh will be a piece of cake.

I am over in yorkshire doing the Liversedge half on sunday, apparrently a very hilly race. Well you know what they say "no pain, no gain" Have you got any races planned before edinburgh?

• Options
    It feels like it's right on the edge of the bone, sort of between the bone & muscle if you get what I mean... Mr CS says he gets it on our Monday run if his legs are still feeling tired from the weekend so I'm not worrying about it too much just yet.

Good luck on Sunday, I'm sure you'll do brill and we'll see a fab time posted on FB. I've signed up for the Bradford 10k in March (my friend wanted to do it) and the Sheffield Half which is 4 weeks before Edinburgh so I'm thinking I'll try running it at MP and see how I feel.... Good idea/bad idea???
  • Options

Afternoon all - sorry to hear about all the 'niggles' I know how frustrating this can be after last year (and the year before come to think of it)

BBP - if the fizzy says that you can't mention the 'R' word then clearly he/she is talking about 'rest' and you should be getting out there NOW! On second thoughts best not but fingers crossed for next week.

CS - definately a good idea to run Sheffield. Remarkably it's quite a flat run and not too dissimilar to Edinburgh in terms of terrain although it is less than inspiring but has a stadium finish.

GP - I wanted to Liversedge but it sold out. It's one of the clubs 'team' events so there should be a few gold/green vests from Steel City Striders. Having said that my last 10k was a club event and their was only me there!

Went out yesterday to do my second 20+ mile run and didn't feel too good so I stopped at about 5 miles. Managed to get home with a mix of plodding/running and within 5 hours was in bed with Lemsip, hot water bottle, big soup and a book to read. Feel dreadful today and no prospect of any mileage this weekend image

First marathon only 22 days away and I'm not ready for it image

• Options

Get well soon Dave... *tops up hot water bottle*   If you've already done one 20miler, then who are you kidding that you're not ready for it... If all else fails, treat it as a learning curve for the main event which is of course Edinburgh.... image

I did Sheffield last year, somehow Cake convinced me it would be a good idea... that man has a lot to answer for... it was a glorious day weatherwise and I was well chuffed with my little self that I managed to run (albeit slowly) the whole way round.  Have signed Mr CS up for it as well and we're still negotiating whether he will stay with me or run it at his own pace and meet me at the end...  Think I might have to show him my ermmmmm smile a bit more to convince him to pace for me.

• Options

Caz...not expecting miracles this sunday, but with all the hills it will be a good workout.
    When you do the half mara at MP i am sure it will have its positives and give you loads of confidence for edinburgh, btw what time you going for in edinburgh.
    I did the sheffield 10k 2 years ago and the last half mile killed me as it was all up hill. Mind you. dont think i was as fit then.

Is the start in edinburgh a free for all, or are we all in waves/pens. 

Dave...Youre in a bad way, and surprised you're not in hospital with those symptons. image Glad to see fighting through it and as Caz says, you shouldnt have any probs with the mara in 3 weeks, you're an elite on this thread.
    I will look out for your team mates on sunday

• Options

You're in pens at Edinburgh and I'm sure there's a delay between each pen starting... We only watched a little bit of the start last year before heading off to get the bus to our relay change over.  I'm aiming for 5hours (I know I'm slow) but if I'm honest I'll be happy just to finish.  My HM time is 2:29 so with a bit of tweaking between now and then, hopefully I'll be able to get that down a bit...  The race time predictor says 5:05 based on my best 10k time of 1:05...

Well I didn't quite manage the 16, but I did manage 15.4miles... Oh my god it hurt sooooooo much and I honestly thought I was going to be sick when I finished. image

• Options

Well done with your run Caz, youve done well. I'm sure you will get round in edinburgh and you will be a lot fitter come race day, so the sub5 wont be a problem.
    Dont forget we all agreed that the last person home, pays the tab behind the barimage 

How was the leg, did it cause you any probs today?

• Options

*starts hatching plans to tie eveyone elses laces together* image   Are you sure it wasn't 1st man home gets the beers in???

It ached a little bit for the 1st couple of miles but then it didnt bother me at all... Every run is a learning curve... I still need to work on taking onboard more liquid but I'm getting there... and I need to strengthen my lower back/core muscles & calf muscles... so I'll make sure to include more of them in my gym sessions.

Are you all set for your race tomorrow??  Good luck. image

• Options
    Well done on the run, Caz, if you can keep this up sub-5 hours will be a walk in the park. But you've got to get the liquid intake right! *wags finger*

But I agree with you, I'm sure it was agreed that first back got the beers in. Seems logical to me.

Hope you make a quick recovery, Dave. Typical, as soon as they close down the Swine Flu helpline.
  • Options

Its defo the incentive you need to run faster, if you drag your feet then you pick up the tab.

*just looking on tinternet for running shoes with velcro fasteners* image

Cant say i am looking forward to the race tomorrow as all i expect is lots of hills image  I need to do it though, just to make sure i get the miles in and it only kicks off at noon.

I'm never gonna win anything in these races but the way i look at it is, that its a LSR with drinks provided. image

• Options

Morning all - good luck with today's runs for anyone who is racing.

Feeling a little better today but not running - maybe tomorrow

• Options

Hi all,

Managed a 12 miler yesterday with no issues to wrap up a good couple of days.........

Went to the hospital on Friday for a follow up to the op i had last month, i haven't told many people but, i had "a growth" removed from by bladder which i was told (on new years eve) was 99% certain to be cancer. The results of the biopsy said that it was a grade 1 cancer which i was told was "the best kind" to have and that now it's out i shouldn't need anymore treatment apart from regular check ups. Can't tell you how relieved me and Mrs B were.  image

I want to thank all those who sent out the healing vibes after my op, i'm certain that it helped and i'm returning the favour to all those who are on the bench at the moment.

• Options

Beavis...Glad things are a bit more positive for you both, thats a real shock to the system. Hope things improve rapidly for you and make sure you keep to the check ups.

I managed to complete the Liversedge half today in 2hr 50secs and what a race that is, never seen hills like that before, let alone run up and down them. it was the toughest run i have ever done and i thought stockport was hilly, that race is flat compared to this.
    I started from the front and was on the start line with all the elites, and was off with the "B of the bang". From then on it was all i had in common with them, i soon moved out the way as it was a huge stampede coming from behind and they went past me as if i was walking backwards. I did the 1st mile in 7.50 only cos it was downhill and i was caught in the draught of the other runners going past me. The 1st hill was just around the corner and it took me until 4m to get into a decent stride. At mile 6 i was on target for a pb and felt great, then we had to run up a mountain....i'm sure i saw Heidi cheering for me. I managed to get back my breath at the top and set about trying to pace it evenly again. Around 8.5m, we ran around a corner and in the distance i could see runners going up an hill which went on forever, they were like ants in the distance. I didnt want to lift my head up as it was soul destroying everytime i did. It was a steady incline all the way up to 10m and eventually started to level out with a few dips to catch our breath. The last steady incline came for the last half mile, so needless to say i was relieved to see the finish line. 
    I wasnt too bothered about my time, just so glad to have finished it. Only when i had got to the car did i say to myself "I enjoyed that" image

• Options
    Beavis, the news sounds pretty well as good as it could have been in the circumstances. Best wishes for continuing good health.