Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Oops - just found your post S1 - you beat me to it. Gotta learn to keep it brief!
    I'd be happy to take control of a group if only I could decide which one!
    After my experience of pacers in Dub in previous years (see post from last night) I should think they'd be relieved to have the pressure taken off them!
    However I don't want to carry a lollipop around or have balloons attached to me (unless they're filled with something lighter than air of course). Don't like to draw attention to myself. But I am 6 foot 5 so I'm probably big enough to stand out in the crowd.
    Any other volunteers?
    richk
  • Options
    I'd be quite happy to organise one but couldn't guarantee a pace. I'd probably look to do run at 8.10 min miles if anyone is interested in joining me. I'll be the pale Irish one (ah, a minor flaw in my plan!)
  • Options
    Ian Wood - meant to say this earlier - I'd go with plan 3. Plan 1's do-able. Don't do plan 2 - you can't put minutes in the bank and ease down towards the end, your body won't let you. If you go off too fast you'll start to suffer fairly early in the race and it'll end in tears. (Voice of experience!).
    Sparks - can't see a flaw in that but then I am a marathon runner after all!
    8.10 sounds about the pace to aim for - it's what I managed yesterday for 20 miles. So that's two of us, plus my training buddy from Bath if I can persuade her to believe in her ability.
    Anybody else? Tigerrunner? Sarcy1? Snicks? 8.10 is 3.35 pace - add a bit on for slowing down towards the end and you're home in 3.45! C'mon!
    Good luck with those runs, g'nite all, richk
  • Options
    S1,Sparks,Snicks,Richk,Ian etc... would love to pace but I'm hoping to do around the 2.50 mark. But some of the lads coming over with me might. One in particular has been training well, to do 3.45. I will ask him. He is a nice Irish lad and daft enough(only joking Mick if you read this!)to run round with a 6ft pole in his hand. Although I think Richk is the man. At 6ft 5in we could shave his head ( 4 charity ) and write 3.45 pace on it in nice bright colours similer to the hat he wears. Red and Blue.
    As for knowing what pace to run at? I suggest you all try to do equal halfs. Then when your around the 22 mile mark you can judge how your feeling you can go for it or just hold your pace. If you go even just a little bit to fast early on you will pay the price! The MARATHON BITES(mutely srikes again, Richk)I talk from experience, I went of to fast at this years FLM and suffered the consequence.
    Is this my longest post yet? Sorry lads will keep it short and sweet next time.
  • Options
    Running in a group sounds good, help to keep the pacing right then after 18 or 20 miles if you want to make a go of it then it is up to you.
    Who is hoping to do the brekkie run the day before? maybe we could meet there.
  • Options
    Hello fellow Dubs. You do know that we'll be debating where to meet for the next three weeks (check out old Windsor threads!)...
    As for pace, um, now, I'm not sure what to do. I did 1:39 at Windsor Half last week. I did 4:06 at London (I took my time. First marathon, no idea etc) I know I can do sub 4. But how much sub 4...? The training hasn't exactly gone to plan (how many times have I written that!), but I feel fairly fit (all things considered)... Any tips?
    As for forming the pace groups, we don't need lollipops, just arrange to meet and stick together. It worked well for myself and Venom at Windsor. And I agree that RichK sounds perfect at 6ft 5in! BTW, I'm the other fair skinned, Irish (alright, Plastic Paddy) one... Sparks I have a cultural urge to run with you!
  • Options
    BTW, I think TigerRunner (2:50 - I say!) has made some good points. Shall we shave your head in the bar the night before RichK...And get your friend mick to join us, TR. Get him to order an URWFRC Vest asap
  • Options
    Snicks,
    I did 1.38 at the Robin hood Half so we're not a million miles apart. I suppose a realistic target time depends on what speed you have been doing your longer runs. In any case, it would be great to team up with a fellow Paddy - well, 5000 fellow Paddies I suppose!
    I'm still tempted by a 3.30 but that just might be outrageously optimistic so I suppose 3.40 will have to be the target with a mad sprint over the last 6 miles if I'm feeling up to it (yeah..right!).
    What is anybody doing for their mid week runs during the taper? I always find that my motivation takes a dive after the longest run but am going to try to keep it up this time.
  • Options
    We're not a million miles apart! Are you a fellow plastic pad, or the genuine article? For me it's the parents who are the real thing. I'm really just a pretender! My long runs haven't been fast. But as I said I'm doing another one this week (even though strictly speaking it should be taper time). I'll aim for 20, measure it and see how fast I can go!
    Today I did a fartlek session, and tomorrow a steady run...From next week, I'll continue to do speed session/tempo and steady but make them shorter
  • Options
    I did a 8 mile interval session today and felt good, easy 5 mile tomorrow then trying for a steady 10 on Thurs.
    Like Snicks, I feel fine just now and am tempted to do a 20 miler on Sunday or maybe Monday as the race is on a Monday. Is that bad to do in a meant to be tapering phase?
    I think I will go for the 3.45 time and if I feel good will put in a quicker finish, hoping for an adrenaline rush sometime around 20 miles.
  • Options
    Hmm - lots to get my teeth into here! Tigerrunner - impressed with your target - actually I was considering getting some corporate sponsorship for the top of my head. On the other hand RTE (or whoever) might find me slightly less expensive than a blimp. Any other ideas?
    Snicks (or should I say Delilah!) - we were getting on so well - and now you want to shave my head the night before I need my strength! Can we not do that if I promise to put some extra silver in it before the race, to make it more prominent? Needless to say I quite agree that we don't need lollipops, balloons or any sort of artificial aid! Just need to stick together.
    Think we should set off at 8.10 miling. Positive mental attitude. The last 5 miles or so are a gradual drift downhill (have you read the course description on another thread from Mick Rice?). So if we make it that far in comfort - and why wouldn't we, we're marathon runners after all - we can relax a little without losing too much as we enjoy the crowd cheering us on from Phibsboro', down through O'Connell Street, across the river, round Trinity College and along to the finish.
    Snicks - you can do it. The training's been fine - you just got the plan slightly wrong, that's all! 1.39 at Windsor - still smiling at the end! You can do 3.35-3.45.
    My daughter's Irish - the real thing - so I think that makes me an Honorary one for the day at least. Long story - should fill the best part of a mile! Another reason why we all should stick together.
    Apologies if this is even more rambling than usual - been out celebrating a birthday.
    Finally - for now - Legless's PC is out of action. He's done a 16 miler today in 2.09 - good time eh? - but as a virgin (that's his story) doesn't want to push too hard and is aiming for 4 hours. Any takers for a 4 hr pace group? I'll pass on any ideas to him - he won't be in Dub until the Sunday afternoon.
    As you say Snicks - we have three weeks ahead of us doing this. But what else would we do, now that we're running less?
    richk
  • Options
    Are you going to be talking this much when the marathon is on RK?
    Have a good couple of days, I am off to work in Aberdeen till the weekend ,and maybe into it.
    18 running days to go!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RichK, are you sure you're not the genuine article - gift of the gab and all that! And what's with Deliah? I didn't meet you on Saturday night did I? Or do you mean, you Samson, me Delilah - oh god, you're too clever for me, RichK! Interesting, an Irish daughter, but you're what...? As you said, that's the first mile done.
    I didn't read the Mick thread re: the course.
    Sarcy1 - good luck with the 20 miler. It'll be good to know I'm not alone.
    I'm really looking forward to this now.
    One thing, though, where shall we meet...?
  • Options
    Well, I'm looking forward to my final 20 miler on Sunday and then the taper..havnt quite worked out what my schedule's gonna be for the next two weeks yet.
    So has anyone found any good places to eat for the pre-race pasta on Sunday night...not sure how dublin is gonna cope with 5000 portions of pasta but maybe there's a pasta place on every corner like there is in my hometown (brighton).
  • Options
    ..fellow Dubs, just a quickie. First RK that was some post there,have you kissed the blarney stone by any chance? As for having Irish in you and some of the others have as well. So have I. Parents born and bred in Dublin all relations still over there and my sister too. So will all feel at home. Now i'm up for the breakie run if others are. How do i spot you all? How do I get hold of the famous URWFRC vest? Must go work calls i'll back on tonight.
  • Options
    Ian: A friend of mine has recommended

Il Vignardo
    Hotel Isaac Store St Dublin 1
    Phone 01 8553099
    Fax 01 8550127

For past that night before but I was hoping to have a romantic night with my chap......ooops the whole forum knows about it now!!!
  • Options
    Fellow Dubliners

Just wanted to say I did my 20 today (with a bit of walking), and it's all down hill from here. I won't mention how long it took, but thank god it's over...

Good luck

Jason L
  • Options
    hey Jason, my last twenty had " a bit of walking" as well. I think it took 3.22 if I remember rightly. Aiming for 3.10 this sunday. Plan on the day is to get to twenty between 3.05 and 3.10 giving me 65 mins to do the last 10k on kn******* legs (and get inside 4.15)!!
  • Options
    ..forgot to add thanks wolfy for the info!!
  • Options
    This thread is proving my own persoanl theory that every English man is really an Irish man ... Irish parents, Irish daughters (count me in for that first mile explanation!)It'll just be like going home! For myself Snicks, I'm the real thing I'm afraid - well, an exile anyway. I'm actually tying in the marathon with a visit to the folks up in Belfast and will be going back up Monday night so will be missing the Temple Bar session.
    Update on the taper is that I've failed at the first hurdle and copped out of a ten miler tonight ... late meetings, tired all the usual excuses. But tomorrow I'll DEFINITELY ...
  • Options
    Sarcy1 - erm, maybe . .
    Snicks/Delilah . . you say the nicest things . . . sorry, you wouldn't have seen Mick's course description - I've just remembered he couldn't post it here as it was too big (you think I'm long winded!) so he posted it at Cool Running. Basically it’s a different course from last year as they’re building a Light Railway or underground or something in Dub and they need to avoid the road works. I could tell more or even provide the url if asked but I realize that not everybody likes to know every detail about a course so will keep it to myself for the mo. This’ll be my 4th Dub, and the 3rd different course I’ve done so I’m getting to see the city.
    Yup – I’m getting into this too(as you may be able to tell) can’t wait for the plane to take off and for the whole weekend – should be good.
    As for when/where we meet, some options may be, the bar at Bristol Airport, Saturday registration, Saturday evening down town, Sunday Brekky run, Sunday registration (for the late arrivals), Sunday evening down town, start of the race, Temple Bar Monday eve we know about but we have to eat first, don’t we? Finally, the Bath/Bristol crew are rather predictably “doing” the Guinness Brewery on Tuesday afternoon before the evening flight home. Because it’s there I suppose.
    Any thoughts?
    The clocks go back whilst we’re there so we have an extra hour Sunday night – probably means the Brekky run won’t seem so early. Does anybody know if they actually serve Brekky there?
    Tigerrunner – yeh, yeh, I know – but there’s so much to say! I’m trying so hard to be brief now but my fingers just run away from me. Not sure how we do the i/d thing – I’m trying to post a new head on here on the forum so that if you want some peace and quiet you know who to avoid!
    Ian - pleased to see you've settled on a plan - good luck with that last 20.
    Wolfy – how many can they seat? Given the crowds that’ll be in Dub that weekend it may be simpler to eat in our smaller groups and get together for a drink elsewhere later?
    Jason – well done – don’t worry about walking – I’m sure most of us have walked for a while on most of our long runs. Just stay healthy now.
    Sparks – sounds a bit Irish to me, your theory! Shame you’ll miss the Monday night shebang. Shouldn’t worry about missing a 10 miler at this stage – it’s not going to make much difference to your marathon – just get out for some miles tomorrow instead.
    richk
  • Options
    Oh god. Just written a big long message, went back to see who it was who said about the 8:10 min miling and lost it all...so here we go again...did 8 miles in 64 mins tonight, spot on 8 min miling. Not too hard, but will have to dig deep to sustain it for the full marathon...oh,yeah, and as for the claim on Ireland, I'm a bit of a Pete McCarthy (see fave books thread, re: McCarthy's Bar) when it comes to my cultural id. I've concluded that as we second gens are a race unto ourselves. We're not Irish, but we're not English either. Did you know Ratbag's a fellow Plastic Paddy.
    Wolfie: why not bring your chap along! I'm sure he'll fit in!
    Jason: Well done, enjoy the taper time - extra well done. It's October, that's four months more than you usually do
    RichK: Don't stop, it's great!
  • Options
    How you doing Snicks. Doing Brighton?
  • Options
    Oo Snicks - you are awful!
  • Options
    Good run tonight tho' - doesn't it mean that 8.10's should be do-able for a lot longer?
    Off to stretch out in a darkened room - give my keyboard - and you guys and gals - a well-earned break!
    G'nite, richk
  • Options
    RK... don't stop writing. I enjoy reading, your better entertainment than the TV. So are all the other posts come to think of it.
    Sparks don't worry to much about missing the ten miler today. It won't do you much benifit now(so the experts like us to belive)However, it will make you feel better so try and do it tomorrow, its all kidology now. Good luck any way.
  • Options
    Hello BK, going to enter today, once I've got some kid plans in action (want to bring them, too, this time).
    I've got a bit of a cold today, but I'm not too worried, I'll get Echinea'd and Vit C'd up today, and hopefully it will disappear by 28th... Rich K, determined that I will run with the 8:10ers - even if it means risking hitting the wall etc... got to try!
  • Options
    Nice one Snicks, don't leave it too late its not a big event so don't want you to miss out. How old are your two again. Mines two, hopefully you'll get to meet him next time
  • Options
    Daughter, two, son five. Got a ridiculously busy four weeks ahead of me with work (all comes at once - worse thing about being freelance), so better check out Brighton now