Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    My policy is pretty much as above, I concentrate on the Sunday long runs which are now up to 20 miles and in the week 'keep myself going' by doing the 6milers, 5 milers and some speedwork.
  • Options
    as you have all said........as long as you have done 3/4 long runs 20 miles or so, you should be fine. Its all about getting your legs accustomed to the distance and also past the dreaded 'wall syndrome'. Kick in a few 6/7 milers,speed work during the week and your home and try. Easy. So why do I still feel uncertainty looming! Probably just the runners doom in me. Will I get injured? Will I get a cold? Will I get enough miles in?..... Whats that love?
    'Will you get the dish's washed?' 'Yea honey.'
    See yer lads duty calls.
  • Options
    Dogwalker, Ian, tigerrunner, sarcy etc.

thanks for the above. It's put my mind somewhat at rest. i've done 3 previous marathons -FLMx2 and the Belfast - and the highest mileage I did was about 47. But i did around 3.50 for those and am aiming at 3.30-3.40 this time so feel I could have done more.

I've skipped today and will probably take Dogwalker's advice and run 6 tomorrow. Actually if I run a 22 early on Sunday it will be within the week from my last one. Can i count both of them???

• Options
    Snicks panicking again... I'm struggling to fit a long un in this week. Was going to do it tomorrow morning (6 to 9), but now that I have to work tonight (because I spent all day on the forum), not sure when I'll do it. Desperately seeking a slot! I think I'll pop over to training and ask Drew!
  • Options
    Sparks, yes you can, count both. keep going mate see you in Dublinnnnnnnnn.
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Have just read thru' last few posts & seems to me your'e worrying too much. I ran the Robin Hood as a "trainer" for Dublin in 3:12 on the back of only one 2hr+ run beforehand (I ran a 1/2M the week before too). Needless to say I don't hold with prescriptive schedules-it's whatever works for you. I'll be looking to put in a couple of long runs (2:30+/20+M) this week & next. I'm currently doing 30-50M per week & I've got a 1/2M race at Waterbeach on 20 Oct before I ease off totally in final week before Dublin. Provided you all stay injury-free just look forward to it, relax & enjoy it.
  • Options
    Greenman,
    A 3.12 marathon on just one 2hr+ run?? It's people like you that makes me worry too much!

Snicks,
    Just read the article on the Windsor - very good. I'm going to have to get a vest for Dublin to meet up with all you UFRC members.

Tigerrunner,
    Thanks. I'm now on for a 66 mile week!!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Is anyone still waiting for their acceptance slip , or is it just me? Was promised one in the post by organisers, but nothing yet.( entered online).
  • Options
    Nope, i haven't heard anything either. Not sure whether we just need to go to the Registration on the Saturday or Sunday. Mind you the closing date isn't until next Friday (11/10)so we probably wouldn't get anything till then anyway
  • Options
    Hope your right sparks.Feel better now I know Im not alone.
  • Options
    Hoping for my last long one tomorrow, if I can get up early enough. Trying for 20 miles but will see how it goes.
  • Options
    Need an early start to get back in time for GNR on TV. Then we can see how real athletes do it.
  • Options
    Video's already set, TelBoy.
    The Bristol/Bath Dublin crew are doing their last 20 miler tomorrow (9.30 start from Chew Valley Lake visitor centre if anyone's in the area!).
    Best of luck to all with the long Sunday runs - look forward to a de-brief tomorrow eve.
    richk (uncomfortably full of pasta!)
  • Options
    ...just got in from my long run, feeling kna******. Did just under 3 hours around Carsington Res, with some mates who are all going to Dublin. Hope your Sunday long runs have been what you all expected. Hope no body has let the side down and not gone out!
    Started bright and early, weather was great yet again. Not recieved my reply slip yet.
    Matt and Duncan if your reading this your both behind me again!
  • Options
    Well thats it folks. If we aint done enough now its too late. Did 3hours this morning and boy am I ready to taper. Everythings gone well and Im confident. How about you guys?
  • Options
    Meant to do 20 today, ended up doing 18 1/2 because I went out a bit later than planned.
    Still felt good though and looking forward to tapering, how long are you lot going to do in the next couple of weeks?
    I had to phone for my confirmation but got it through a couple of months ago, it is just a silver envelope with your running number in it, take it with you to register on the Saturday or Sunday.
    Everyone else must be out now as the site seems a bit quiet just now.
    I am number 400 for the race, what about anyone else? 3 weeks to go....
  • Options
    Not sure about mileage,but Ill do 2 hrs next week and 1&half the week after.With a couple of speed sessions in the week to stay sharp.
  • Options
    Wahay! Happy tapering everyone!

Just got back from doing my 21 miler and comfortably sustained target pace of 11 minute miles all the way (target training pace that is - target race pace is 10 minute miles to get me round in between 4:20 and 4:30 all being well) I felt really good at the end as well and had plenty left in me which is an encouraging sign compared to my FLM training, when my longest training run (19.5 miles) left me grimly clinging onto the garden gate just to stand up! Training has gone really well this time round and I'm looking forward to a nice taper now.

Next weekend, I am doing a 9 mile race in Tring which I will probably supplement with a 3 mile top up either before or after. Then it's an 8 miler the week after and then over to Dublin.

Hope everyone else has had a great long run today. What a gorgeous day for it as well.

See you all soon.

DW
  • Options
    Well done guys and gals (don't think that extra mile and half will make too much difference S1).
    You're right DW - fabulous day for it - think we can be pretty certain that it won't be quite so warm when we get to Dub - great to hear that your training's so much better than for FLM - helps with the positive mental attitude doesn't it.
    Completed our 20 miler (see previous post) but puzzled at how quickly it passed - 20 minutes quicker than previous 20+ runs over the past month.
    Hadn't realised I was running so well and I suspect I need to re-assess my finishing time.
    Second lap was less than a minute slower than the first - so I think I've cracked the even pace requirement.
    Of course the training included some Guinness before heading home - looking forward to the real stuff in a few weeks.
    Hope everybody had as good a run as we did - enjoy the taper.
    richk
  • Options
    Glad to hear that everyone had a good long run today. I managed a 22 on the tread mill at 8.20 pace which is about equivalent to 3.40. Mind you I didn't have anything left so my target 3.30 is looking less likley. I alos feel a bit guilty about doing it on a tread mill on a day like today but i did see most of the Rangers Celtic match, all of the Dambusters and a fair bit of MTV (Britney does wonders for the morale). You don't see that lot running round a lake!!!

I'm looking to do about 16 next week and 10-12 the following week on the taper then ... Roll on Dublin!!
  • Options
    Don't think you'll see too much of them in Dub either ;-)
    Talking of pace - I was aiming for 3.45 but wonder if I should push for 3.30/35 in the light of today's experience, so perhaps we'll rub shoulders on the way.
    It's been asked before but I don't recall seeing a reply - will there be pace groups in Dub? They had them last time I ran it, in 1998. I passed the 3.30 pacers in the 24th mile and they were almost walking. I finished in 3.28 and you'll never guess what time the pacers did? Oh, you did . . 3.29 and about 55 seconds. I'd run with them for two spells during the race but they were so inconsistent I let them go. Fortunately I got it right.
    So hopefully if they are there again this year they've improved (sorry to undermine any confidence anybody may have had in them!).
    Seems ever so quiet here this evening - surely everybody's finished their runs by now? Or are we the few that have to join in at home? Maybe it'll be busier again once everybody's back at work tomorrow! :-)
    Oh dear - I did promise once before to learn to be brief! Sorreee!
    richk
  • Options
    3.30 was going to be my target aswell, are you up for a running partner for a while? Any other groupings getting together?
  • Options
    Great idea Sarcy, our group range from 2.50 3.05 3.15 3.30 & 3.45. It would be good to team up and help each other along as along as I don't have to run holding one of those pace boards up!!
  • Options
    Was away this weekend but managed a 12 miler on Friday before we went of to IOW and a 10 miler before work this morning. Did the 12 in 1-46 and the 10 in 1.28 so pretty pleased. Looking forward to the twenty miler on Sunday before I taper. Keep beating myself up over tactics now though do I:
    1) Go for a steady 10 min mile all way round or at least to 20 miles then see how it goes or
    2) do the first 15 miles at 9min mile pace and build up a cushion and ease off/recover
    3) aim for 9.30 mile pace for the first 18 which I know I can do and take it from there.
    My aim is sub 4.15 but not sure what the best way to get there is.
  • Options
    Ian,
    I think the recieved wisdom is to aim for a steady pace with maybe a slightly negative split. There does seem to be a big difference between a 9.00min and 10.00 min pacing. For whta its worth, I trained for my last marathons at 9.00 pace up to about 21 miles. I was able to do very slightly faster in the race but didn't have anything left whatsoever
  • Options
    P.S. I do like the idea of informal pacing groups. Sarcy, Tigerrunner and richk, should we meet up and work on 3.30-3.40?
  • Options
    Sarcy, Tigerrunner, sparks,
    Good idea - we should team up. I'm still not sure if I'm brave enough to go for 3.30. I've beaten it before but this is my first marathon for 2 years and I need to overcome my caution over the next few weeks.
    One of my training partners is doing her first (and only, she insists, altho' we know better don't we) marathon in Dub. She too is cautious but having just done the Bristol Half in 1.38, and 4 or 5 x 20 milers, 3.30 should be well within her reach. We'll be starting out together and my role is to stop her setting off too fast.
    So it'd be good to have some company and assistance! Particularly as I'd like to beat her for once! So if one of you could distract her . . .
    Not sure what other targets the rest of the Bath/Bristol gang have - we've been reluctant to put our necks on the line up until now.
    Hopefully we'll meet up before the event, at registration perhaps, but for what it's worth, I'll be the tall guy stood beside a short lady, both wearing red, blue and white vests with Bath on the front. Maybe it'd help if I got rid of Mr Dasterdly and replaced him with the real me!
    Finally, for this post(!), I take it back. There wasn't a rush to post once everybody got back to work. I didn't mean it, really! So come back, wherever you all are!
    richk
  • Options
    Oh God - I feel ashamed! I've had an early taper, partly enforced by hard work, partly by staying up too late etc... (you don't want to know) Anyway, I'm going to try to fit in a 20 miler this weekend. I know it's probably too late, but I need to do it for myself. I'd like to join the 3:45 group please!
  • Options
    Pace groups are now looking for responsible persons to take control. Volunteers please.
    Do you think any official pacers would get upset?
  • Options
    Know what you mean Snicks, so much of this marathon mullarky (spelling?) is in the mind. Sure it's not too late - life has a habit of interfering doesn't it. Get that 20 out of the way and you'll be fine.
    Then you can taper a little more and next thing you know we'll all be in Dub.
    In 3 weeks' time from now it'll be all over and we'll be re-running the race - and several others too no doubt - in Temple Bar!
    Have we got a 3.45 group yet? The more I think about it the more I like the thought of 3.45 as opposed to 3.30. If it's going well then maybe try to pick the pace up a little, get hold of some of those negative splits that the ones in front aspire to.
    But I'm sure to change my mind on an almost daily basis between now and the event!
    richk