Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Come into the light... we're waiting for you image
  • Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

I could do with getting a watch that does splits - any reccomendations?

Despite telling myself not to start too fast I did the first mile in 7 mins. I realised I'd overdone the first uphill/downhill by the time the route rejoined the road image. Only other times I noted were 38 mins to Pen-Y-Pass, 1:43 to Beddgelert (2 mins up on schedule) and 3:04 to mile 22 at Waunfawr (1 min behind).

At 15 miles I was never running a marathon again. Forgotten already, I'll be back next year image.

• Options

Hi Folks. Didn't get under 4, though have some good excuses! I'll start with doing Loch Ness mara on 3rd Oct followed by a week of walking up & down mountains with Mrs Chimney. I did a few runs the following week and tried an 18m lsr on the 16th which hurt lots and was very hard, too hard. I've been in Ipswich for the last two weeks in a hotel doing 14 hour days and no running. Then either tea in the pub on Friday or breakfast at the hotel Saturday did me and my friend no good. Both of us from mile 15 were taking occasional side trips for both ends... image. managed to do 4:20 though so not all bad! Neither of us felt able to be too far from our room on saturday night. Wish I could have met up with you guys, perhaps next year. TR et al, I must have beeen close to you for large parts of the second half, wish I knew what you all looked like. Those hail stones were something else.

See you on the 2011 thread.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    reading peters post 800 failed to turn up.perhaps next year they might think of setting the limit higher.i tryed to enter the 2009 race but i was to late.and was gutted would guess few might have been to late this year to enter.can u see what im trying to say? its to good an event for 1300 runners t-rex whats u next ultra and any advice for a first timer.do u run all of it or run/walk thx
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No, we'll let the thread sputter on far a bit longer yet.  It will eventually put itself out.

There are a few others out there - Windy Millar? Grassy?  Reydon Rover?  et al?

panad - didn't realise you were keeping me in view.  It was about mile 19 when the realisation dawned that I wasn't going to make it.

Results of LDWA "Where Ravens Dare" 25 (Oct 16) just out where it transpires I was first finisher of 48 assorted runners and walkers by 40 minutes.  That's cheered me up a bit

• Options

Tnx to all accommodation suggestions.Greatly appreciatedimage

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

powell1 - image I'm not necessarily best placed to give ultra advice.  BritNick's best on here.  But I suppose I have done 29 altogether - 16 road, 13 offroad (generally the longer ones). I'm doing a 50K (road) on Jan 23 (by then BritNick will have done a dozen more of the things).  btw you had a brilliant run at SNOD and you severely underestimated yourself!

The most important thing to do is to take ultras (especially your first one) MUCH slower than your marathon pace.  Your first half of the event will feel ludicrously slow - but it needs to because the extra miles after, say, 30 - 35 will start to take their toll. Better to finish feeling reasonably OK after having done an even-paced run with no enforced walking.  Speed will come later!

There are several ultra wannabies on here now (or was that the drink talking? image) so how about if we all meet up for the High Peak 40 in September?  It always has a very good RW thread as well - second best to this one in my book (or is it because it has all the same people on it? image)

• Options
    Evening all,
    Not forgotten about you, I am working on my race report. Most of the photos are up. Here's mine! You've been tangoed!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_1yPaCbxqbbM/TM6quegODwI/AAAAAAACcJg/2b3WSDenQ3w/s640/TYE_4726.JPG
    SS
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm you can see my legs have started to recover.......does anyone know the date for next years race ?????????
  • Options
    hmmmm not overly impresesd with those pics SS, seems myself and all the runners around my time were obviously battling through the most extreme of the weather and the photographer was huddling behind a rock when we went past!!!  Story of my life!!
  • Options

Thank you T-Rex,  really appreciate all the advice you shared on this thread and that goes for all you other guys that helped us novices image

Well done to all who achieved their goals at Snod and commiserations to those that didn't,. I will be back in 2012 hopefully with 8 or so marathons under my belt to have a real go at it.

Thank you to whoever it was taking the photo's on the decent from Waunfawr, talking of that could anyone else hear the crowd from up there? Was pretty special image

My face says it all

• Options

Might start the upward taper at the weekend. Stiffness in my right calf is a warning not to run too soon afterwards, like I usually do.

51 weeks training should be enough time to prepare for ......... next year. It's taken me less than 60 hours to decide to return next year and I'll add on a day and stay Saturday night for the drinking!  

• Options

Races are often over-subscribed and money doesn't seem to be a problem for many people. It's a shame that you have to enter many events months and months in advance eg London and Brighton are usually sell outs soon after they open. Applicants need to know whether they've been successful so that they can book accom, travel, time off, etc.. and have to enter before they've even started training.

Only in an ideal world would we be able to enter most races when we'd finished the training and on the last month's taper. There are some races out there but Snowdonia isn't one of them because it's a classic and a great achievement when completed.

PJL - isn't 2,000 - 1300 equal to 700 not 800? My support crew were Alan (my cousin) and Erika, whom I believe you run with?

• Options

hi folks,

only just had time to catch up with all the posts, 

chrissi/HW - i'm gutted for ya, turn the negative to a positive, and think how much you'll enjoy crossing that line next year

well done on everyone on the superb times, most people can only dream of them on a flat mara, let alone one of the toughest in the calender.

Well what a great weekend, snod never fails to disappoint. but the race is only half the story, its the people that organise/support and run it that makes it stand out from the crowed. Not a great race for me just didn't seem to be firing on all guns from the start, then reacted bad to caffeine gels i was taking so had to stop. i haven't seen the S4C footage yet but hear their is a clip of me "spaced out" pointing at random objectsimage.  at 15m my legs were starting to feel very tired, so by 20m eased back and enjoyed the last few miles 3:20:17 was me final time. I don't think time wise their is much difference between the new and old route, but standard of runner was a lot higher this year.  I also got it long, but that was definitely garmin issues, I notice FF like me your 4m split was one of your fastest and it was one of the biggest climbs of the whole raceimage, so i think they had a little moment their.

Good to chat JB after the race, and the evening drinkies with everyone was superb, I think the rendition of 'we are the champions' summed up the spirit of weekend to a tee. I eventually stumbled into my poorly tent, that somehow survived gail force winds and a muppet breaking the polesimage.

I'm not doing snod next year image(always aim for alternate years), HL i'll see you in capo in 2weeks, t rex hopefully catch up at  Gloucester Marathon, and AB & NQ at the four villages everyone else snod 2012 if not sooner.

Its been great fun as always.

• Options
    PJL - Iorweth - one of the few to run every Snowdonia - I saw him on S4C a few years back showing off all his coasters and said to my wife "I'm going to do that race one day" - "yeah right" I'm sure she said (as I was probably 2 stone overweight for a 5`6" chap at the time). I've never actually met IR despite him having a shop in Colwyn Bay (where I worked) and living in Glan Conwy (where I sued to live)
  • Options

Hi ct

Nice to meet you - I really admire your approach to marathon races - hope to see you there in 2012 (if not beforehand - I'm contemplating doing a BL event again - I've realised that if that I want to go sub 3h @ Snowdonia, which I do after Saturday, I need to get out of my comfort zone a LOT more!)

• Options
    CT / T Rex - Are you both doing Gloucester Marathon in January? I'm entered for that, probably counts as my local mara coming from Bristol.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Will that be #2, are you squeezing in Cornish, Luton, etc? image  I'll be there, but doing 50K.
  • Options

This is me and as can be clearly be seen I'm barely running.

Mr Ben

After walking round Paris in the cold and wet the week before the race i was feeling like I was getting a touch of flu in the days leading up to the day of the race. Actually on the day of the race I felt fine which was a mighty relief. Today I feel like $**& with flu.

Another lucky one : I absolutely hate having sticky hands from the carbo gels. At 24 miles I took my last gel and then bent down to wash my hands in a puddle and felt a pull in my hamstring. Fortunately it wasn't a show stopper.

Luck played it's part on me getting round.

I'll hopefully join you in the pub after the race next year........what am I talking about I'm not doing it.image

• Options

Loving the race reports on here and apologies for not posting on here but I have been keeping an eye on you all!!

That weather was something else image

I did Snowdon in 2008 and loved it then and it's been my favourite ever since. Came back this year and was 16 mins faster. Yay!

Here's me enjoying myself  FUN

• Options
    Mr 2Mr 2 ✭✭✭

Wow - what a day!

That run was a lot harder than I ever thought - my first (and not last) marathon and I managed to do it in 4hr 27mins - so very happy image I swore to myself on the day - never again......

Great orgnanisation, atmosphere, marshalling and scenery.

Thanks everyone - I will miss this thread

• Options
    John Bach wrote (see)
    PJL - Iorweth - one of the few to run every Snowdonia - I saw him on S4C a few years back showing off all his coasters and said to my wife "I'm going to do that race one day" - "yeah right" I'm sure she said (as I was probably 2 stone overweight for a 5`6" chap at the time). I've never actually met IR despite him having a shop in Colwyn Bay (where I worked) and living in Glan Conwy (where I sued to live)

I know Iorweth well, he's been struggling with a hip injury of late so it was fantastic to see him finish in good shape.And did you notice his comment on the question of would he be back next year?

"If I'm alive" was  his reply. This from a man who's father rcently passed away at 105 years old!

• Options
    JB are you running the Conwy half this month?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Great reports.  It seems many achieved any goals set despite the conditions, whilst a number of us have lived to fight another day.

I can't help noticing that quite a few of you are using chip times ...

<<ducks>>

• Options

Hahah T-rex ...of course im using my chip time its faster ........not by much but thats the time it took me from the start line to the finish lineimage  Im not claiming the 13th place although i was faster than the 13th place girl ....im happy with my 14th place as on the gun she beat me image

I get the feeling this is a debatable point imageimageimage

• Options

Ha I'm sticking with chip time to!!!image

NQ2 new you would want to do it again what a great raceimage

arch stanton I'm doing conwy halfimage

• Options

hmmm, chip vs gun, a few friends have been caught out by this one, i think is a rule that needs some tweaking, but i'm not sure how? i'd be annoyed if runners who are significantly slower than me but potential age group/gender group winners are in front of me at the start line.  but its also not right that the fastest person doesn't win. however unless they are going head to head how do you know who was faster?

cheers JB, the borders is not for everyone, its taken a few years for me to find the right approach to them.  These days i use most club races (not all) as training runs and run them at LT pace, marathons are always my target at the end of the day.  Your right though you do need to hurt occasionally in shorter race's to reach your goals which i reckon your well capable of doing and more.

stret yep you've got pleasure my company for that one

• Options
    Sorry if this was mentioned previously, as I think it was, I came 1138 out of 1260, what happened to the other 700 or so?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No shows?

nicola q - we have debated it at great length in times gone by!  Wretched chips - what's wrong with a man with a watch, a pen, and a clipboard in a polythene bag? You've just got to be alert, that's all.