Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Hey All,

Dublin will be my first marathon.  I have been training for close to 6 months, following a recommended regimen fairly closely, although frequently skipping one of the short mid-week runs (demanding job and two little kids at home are the best excuses I can come up with).  All was going well through about three weeks ago when I did 19.5m at about 8:45 per mile pace.  The following week I struggled through a 21.5m run at a 9:20 per mile pace.  Then, last week, I hoped to do 22m but pulled up after 10m from massive glute pains.  I have increased the glute stretches and am confident I will be OK from that perspective; shorter runs have been fine since.  However, with only a 14m run tomorrow and further tapering, of course, I am concerned that I didn't cover the necessary distance, particularly since I never went much above 35m in a week.

If anyone is wondering, I am 38 and am hoping to finish under 4:15.  Anything closer to 4:00 will be fantastic, but it is all a bit of uncharted territory still...

Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!

• Options

Hi,

The Crowd will carry you through- some programs only go to 20 miles anyway. I have only done 2 x 20 and 1x 22 and I think that is plenty. . You seem to be well on target for a sub 4 Hour run. I'll be twenty minutes behind you.

• Options
    Thanks Jim. You sure have covered the long end of training. I highly doubt that I'll be in front of you, btw.
  • Options
    bit late to jump in, but i am doing thiks

ran it in 2001 and 2002

did a half in 1 43 today, aiming for 3 40
  • Options

Hi all,

How's everyone feeling - this time in 2 weeks we'll all be finished!

How are the shins ffRAN and Sarah?

Milos, if you got up to 21.5 I'm sure the atmosphere on the day will carry you home, it might be the case that you have to slow it down a bit, but I'm sure you'll get round and have a great day.  I wouldn't try and squeeze any more long runs in now, just stick to the taper your plan reccommends, and good luck.

Thanks for the well wishes.  It's quite difficult for me to get time off work so I dragged myself in on Thursday and Friday.  Felt a bit better on Saturday and just spent the day watching the Commonwealth Games.  I still felt a bit fuzzy headed and blocked up yesterday but decided to start Leicester and see how I got on.  When I initially entered the plan was for a fairly comfortable 4:10.  My first 3 miles were all under 9mins so I had to make myself slow down a bit, and settled in to a 9.30 - 9.40 min pace, until 7 miles when my nose was streaming and I just kept slowing down for no apparent reason, taking 10:09, 10:29, 10:39.  At that point I began to think I would never get to the end.  Not sure exactly what happened but it seemed to pass and I eventually settled into a fairly steady pace with the miles passing by in 9.41 - 9.52 and I began to enjoy the run.  The marshalls were fantastic and the route was fairly scenic, passing along rural roads, parks and coming back through the busy town centre was also nice.  I eventually finished in 4.15 and was pretty pleased overall.  My thighs have ached more than usual today though and walking down stairs has been a particular issue!  Not sure why this is, perhaps just the effects of not being 100% fit at the start combined with the fact I didn't really eat too well in the run up to the race.  I'm going to go for a swim tomorrow and then it'll be time to focus on the taper.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

• Options

Well done KP ....and thank you for remembering my shins! 

They feel a lot better although I've not walked much...done lots of swimming and pool running and masses of calf stretching. Osteopath ( who knows my legs well ! ) says no real damage. I've decided to just do little walks now and then wing it on the day. No idea how the legs will react but decided it is worth a go.Just need to prepare more mentally than for running as 7 hours is a long time!

How's everyone else doing?

• Options

So very well done KP - you are probably spot on in that your body was probably in less than peak condition. Rest well and recover to top form for Dublin - and your 10th! You are a star!

Sarah - I'm really happy that you're going to do it - wing it? You'll crack it.

I'm not in a good place - mentally in denial so not talking about running. Worse, my physio hasn't replied to my texts - she may have had a problem as it's not like her to not respond. May pop a note through her door.

But, hey...had a great Spin, then Body Pump session so keeping the old bones active. 

Jim, Jimmy and Milos - sounds like you're all in for great marathons. Great times all.

• Options

2 weeks! KP - you've scared me!! Well done on Leicester, can't imagine running a marathon when feeling that rough.

So is this the beginning of the taper madness everyone speaks of?! Went for 5 mile (fairly quick) run on Sunday and came back with a pain in my right leg. I'm blaming Ffran and Sarah with their talk of injury! Anyway, ice and then a warm bath yesterday and a rest day today seem to have helped. Will test it out again tomorrow and see... Have been injury free throughout training so hoping it was a minor blip.

It is really nice not having to push myself out the door every night after work though, and it will be lovely doing 6 miles instead of 12 tomorrow! Now have to try not to start carb-loading too early image

Anyway, have a good week everyone and hope any twinges/illnesses clear up.

• Options

Did another 15 miles on Sunday in 2:09.  Not quite what I hoped, but I'll take it.  Does anyone else feel exhausted at this point?  Everything is starting to ache.  I am taking this tapering off thing seriously from now on.  Three runs this week: 5, 5 and 9.  Next week, maybe 4, 5 and 6, and maybe a slow 2-3 miler on Saturday.  Going to serious yoga twice over the next 10 days -- need to stretch the glutes.

By the way, I intend on listening to my ipod on during the run.  Seems to be discouraged but allowed.  Anyone else have thoughts on it?

KP, thanks for the advice and encouragement.  Can't believe you just ran Leicester!  Thanks all for the advice and good wishes.  And, of course, same to you.

• Options

Milos..I was wondering the same thing re ipods....I hate listening to music when running so it has not been an issue before but as I am walking and it will take forever I have been experimenting with downloads of novels to walk with and was going to bring one along in case I need distracting in the later stages. The advice is very anti though isn't it ( and I appreciate why ).

I hope I find someone to walk with when it gets tough but will have my listening stuff as a back up.

PS I think it's quite normal to feel tired at this point. I usually feel worse the week before...sluggish, lazy and thinking I'm getting every bug going! Why do we do this to ourselves ?

• Options

Seems like we're all in a similar position! I had been aiming for a sub-4 and my training was going well until I ignored a tight calf and went for a 20 mile run about 4 wks ago ... slowly getting better and have since managed to do 18 and 15 mile runs but had to revise my target time and concentrate on getting fit image

On a social note, I'm coming to Dublin by myself as my friend has bailed on me. Can anyone recommend any friendly pubs, restaurants etc where I won't feel like a loser for going in on my own?!

Good luck everyone xxx

• Options

Every pub is friendly in Ireland...unless it is on the Northside of Dublin. jk.

I'd recommend Kehoe's, very close to Grafton St, or The Duke, also right off Grafton St. For the more touristy stuff, head to the Temple Bar area. There will be plenty of Americans looking for friends. image

• Options
    Hi Actimel

Me and a friend will be in Dublin from Saturday, you are more than welcome to join us for dinner, drinks etc.

I think quite a few runners are going to Kennedys straight after the race, it's near the 25th mile.

Good luck with the taper everyone.
  • Options

Actimel,

Dont mind EI22RE  - the Northside pubs are the best.

Must agree about Kehoes, or better still McDaids on Harry St (top of Grafton St near Westbury Hotel. Afterwards across the Road to Bruxelles - great music till late!!!!! 

• Options

Paddy, straight after the DCM last year, went to McDaids (the steep stairs up to the gents was rather challenging that day)...stayed until 9 or so, then crossed over to the downstairs in Bruxelles...stayed until closing...great stuff (& the only solids I'd had was that marathon sandwich thingy...Spar brand or something)... girlfriend was on the duke box all night...

http://www.meteoprog.co.uk/en/weather/Dublin/11_15/
    Cloudy, 7 - 12 deg, winds from the east ranging from 5-15 mph

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/ie/...details13.aspx
    Clouds & Sun, 9 deg, Realfeel 4 deg, Winds NNE 15 mph
  • Options

Adog - Ignore the weather forecasts until at least thursday before - they mean nothing!!!. - I might be doing the same routine after the marathon myself (McDaids + Bxells). I'll be eating something though - otherwise i'd be leaving with the help of the bouncers!!!.

Social stuff aside, i hope everyone tapering well. 12 days to go!!!. Most of the pains and sickness arent real - and you will start to runlike a sausage dog - its all normal!!! Its a sign that the body is getting ready for the challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Glad to see I'm not the only one looking at the weather a bit too early!

Thankfully back from work, two weeks of treadmill was rather tough. Did a 10K yesterday (46min) - was reading the nutrition thing Dublin posted on FB and it said for a sub 3:45 you should be able to do that Silly I know as I have done all the long runs and I know I'm ready but never done that 10K time - previous best was 47.5min+. Turns out it was fairly easy (cooler weather?) - guess I just haven't been trying hard enough! Taking it easy from now on though!

Hopefully I'll be in the pub after for a bit too - might have to tell the family I'll be finishing in 5hrs  image after 2 weeks offshore I would rather like a beer but am going to wait for that Guiness! Hope everyone is ok and ready to go!!

• Options

jukebox ... taper has blasted what's left of my brain
  • Options
    I've done a couple of relatively quick 6 milers in the last two days and another one tomorrow -I am planning an 8 miler on Saturday at sub MP and 3 x 3 miles (M/T/W) and then a 2  miler on the Sunday. I am on the beer this Sunday so I hope a week is long enough to get it out of my system - I have visitors from UK so I can't hide from them as they are staying here and they expect the Irish Pub Hospitality. I think running the Athlone 3/4 at sub Marathon pace (- 3 Mins) was a mistake and I need the rest.
  • Options

When they get to the last 3 Chilean Miners left in the Mine will Davina McCall appear and say "Mario you have been evicted from the Big Btother Mine and have finished in 3rd place- Lets have a look at your best bits!"

• Options

Ah, yes, I have been checking the forecast as well, in the delusional half-belief that it will bear some resemblance to reality this far out.

Having a hard time sleeping some evenings before runs now.  It is my first marathon and I cannot wait for it to start.  How early do you all think is the right time to get up the day of?  Just looking to coordinate my schedule a bit ahead of time.

Very impressed with everyone's commitment in the run-up.  By the way, does anyone else run (much) slower on the treadmill than outdoors?  Not sure why that is...

• Options
    Apparently snow is forecast for next week! It doesn't mention if it'll hit Ireland though...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8061737/Snow-to-hit-Britain.html
  • Options

Jim -  Lmao - my husband reckons that if he was one of those miners - my first words to him would be "I don't believe you're wearing that!" - I'm notoriously critical of his dress sense. Bless!  I was glued to the news from 5am - actually got into work late.

Had my workout with my goddess of a sports physio - she is so experienced.(Ironman triathlete, a Club La Santa Tri coach, + trained by Paula Radcliffe's physio) No sign of shin splints, just very bruised muscle and some very bad knots caused by an old injury - a metatarsal is dislocated and pulling on tendons) so feeling so much more confident about making it to the pub for a celebration AFTER I've finished (at whatever time - no speculation of a "dream time" any more). 

• Options
    I had nearly twenty years as a miner in the Yorkshire Coal Mines before I came over to Ireland - I came here because I was spending nearly as much time under ground as the Chileans- Now I am more into Data Mining and I can get out for a run most lunch times for an hour.image Like an old pit Pony image
  • Options
    Just picked up on the fact people made it through to closing time after last years race. Following the Vancouver marathon I went straight to the pub and had to call it a day at 7.

I am hugely impressed and will try to do better. Good luck to everyone, its my first trip to Dublin and I can't wait.
  • Options

Hi all,

11 days to go!  Hope everyone is well.  I hate the taper, always feel lazy and just want to go out and train.  Still, not long to go now.

ffRAN, glad you managed to get hold of your physio, she sounds fab, and glad you're feeling more confident.  I'm sure you'll be celebrating afterwards.

Sarah, I also like to use an ipod when running.  If it says they're banned then I don't use it, but if it's along the lines of 'prefer you not to', 'discourage' etc, then I tend to take it.  I don't have it on loud though and quite often chat to other runners on the way round, with no problems hearing them, or any instructions given by the volunteers.  I think I just like to have something in the background for when things get tough, and I really focussed on the songs when I had my early bad patch at Leicester on Sunday.

Milos - I think your get up time will depend on things like how long before the race you need to eat and where you are staying in relation to the start.  I like to have my porridge around 2 hours before the race and I'm staying about a 20minute walk away, so I will aim to get up, eat 2 hours before and get to the start around 45-60 minutes before the start.  Don't like to mess around before the race so I sort everything out the night before, pin my number on etc.  Then all I have to do is get up, eat, dress and go.

Jim, enjoy your weekend, sounds like it's a well earned rest, and just think of all the carbs you'll get from that beer!

Hope everyone else is feeling good and injuries and niggles are clearing.

• Options
    Thanks KP.  I am also about a 20 min walk away, so, basically, it sounds like a 6 a.m. wake-up time.   Sleep-in day!
  • Options
    Well everybody seems busy. The weather will be the weather so do not waste too much time fretting. Dublin has been very lucky with it for the last few years so, i think we can squeeze one more out of it.

I will be on the EXPO pacers stand on the Sunday 12-2 if you are about do say hello. There should be some good shopping, I hear that there will be Mizuno with 25% off on the day. You will be able to get most gel brands, power bar, high 5 and SIS I seem to remember.

Kennedy's, is as good a spot as any afterwards but you will not be short of choice. I think most of the fetch group end up there.

• Options
    Bouldy - We'll keep ya going...
  • Options

I wish my drinking stamina matched my running stamina!

Last time I had a heavy drinking session after a long (hot) run, OH found me face down, fast asleep in a field (we were camping) and was ill for 2 days - so if anyone sees me misbehaving, get me to buy a coke, please. I'll pretend it's Vit.G.

I'm getting a really funny thing going on with my leg. As promised to physio, I avoided my hill session as per schedule and did 10 miles really easily (as would be hoped 10 days out). But I had during the run, and still, have sciatic pain in hip, and my leg is giving way - no pain in the calf just the feeling that it's not working properly. Any ideas?