Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Sarah - it's WAY tougher walking - I really admire you - especially as I'll be on my feet for quite a while - and I'll be running. See how you feelphysically  and consider how you'll feel emotionally  if you don't do the Race - it may be better to wait until you're fighting fit if you're not going to be too disappointed - and there's always next year? Good Luck with your decision. xx
  • Options

That's kind ffran..thank you.

I'm pretty open minded really...the whole thing has been doubtful since I injured my foot in July but it has been fun finding ways to keep fit over the summer, having Dublin booked has motivated me even though I am aware it may not happen.

I sound dreadfully pragmatic and sensible don't  I.......Who am I kidding ? Of course I will be really really disappointed, ( the trip over from London with the family is just for the race ) but at least I know I did everything I could to get sorted and keeping fit generally is of course a good thing. ( But inside I am still saying'' bum bum bum'' ! )

• Options
    Did the Athlone 3/4 today - Will post more when I am back up to speed - Some serious hills 17-19 mile that were described as 'short lifts'. Think I was around 3:16 for 3/4 and 2:09 for the half and have never passed so many people in the last 3 mile as I did today. Hills at the end are not good image
  • Options

image When they asked sex I said 'yes please' but they said 'Male' as they didn't have a category for dirty old man!

PlaceSurnameNameSex1st Qtr2nd Qtr3rd QtrGun TimeChip Time281HolmesJimM1:05:141:03:521:07:553:18:113:17:01

I was in front of the 4hr pacers till after 12 miles and kept going even though there was a mile and a half of hills at the end, passed loads of people at the end who could not handle the hills, I would be worried about my 3rd quarter but it was tough and others eally struggled. Look at the ones who finished directly behind me

1st Qtr2nd Qtr3rd Qtr

1:04:351:02:291:10:330:57:260:58:351:21:571:03:551:03:121:10:041:02:381:05:391:10:121:00:571:04:551:12:331:02:151:04:461:10:481:04:561:03:241:09:481:05:561:03:161:09:061:02:381:03:061:13:510:59:121:01:381:18:22

• Options
    Did not paste well but results at www.redtagtiming.com 
  • Options

good one Jim...

registered this morning & got a fetching race number: 2444...I like it...
    did a celebratory 10km in 42mins bang on...felt good...
    weather just perfect this morning what with blue skies, sun & slack wind...
    hopefully there'll something similar on the day...
  • Options

Long run of 22 miles done. Now for the taper .. Not long now!

Quick question - can anyone recommend a good italian restuarant in Dublin? I'm thinking large portions of tasty pasta at a reasonable price? Ideally near to city centre. Thanks for any suggestions ....

• Options
    Tricky M - I'll be joining you if you find one!
  • Options
    Tricky, from my memory of previous races here. There was a small restaurant near the tourist information centre (the church near molly malone statue) and an restaurant in temple bar where a lot from RW forum normally meet but I can not remember the name of it. Perhaps a local person can add the names to these places or suggest somewhere else?
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    luigi malones in temple bar I'm told is ok - from a work colleague who's from Dublin. Also told me another one which is smaller - let you know after I've booked my table for Sunday!!
  • Options

Tricky/ FF - Pasta Fresca in Chatham St is a good one (near the top of Grafton ST) Tell them you want a good heap of pasta and they wont let you down!!

Little Ceasers is a gem too - near the Wesbury Hotel (again near the top of Grafton st) - reasonable too - If you ask for plenty they'll give it - remember dont overdo it 

After either of the two above you may be tempted by the draw to Adjacent McDaids bar (or Bruxelles) - avoid this until after the Marathon - then visit and indulge!!!!!!!!!! 

Luigi Malones is good too I believe.

Me, I'll be eating in me mothers!!!!

• Options
    Great - thanks all for your help!
  • Options
    Gonna ask my wife to do a Lasagneimage
  • Options

Jim - please don't rub it in!!! Any spares?

I think I've got shin splints - well right shin anyway - what do I do - help!!!! (I wore old trainers to do my 22 miles Sunday - stupid, I know)

• Options

Hi all,

Well done Jim, good race.  I did the Scotland Kilomathon on Sunday to round off quite a heavy training week.  My legs were stiff from the start but they kept going at a constant pace so I was happy with that.  I had a few days up there so it was a nice break too, although I've not been feeling to great today.  I woke up with a sore throat and it just got worse as the day wore on.  I skipped training today and going to take myself off to bed soon, hopefully it won't hang around for long as I've got the Leicester marathon on Sunday.

ffFRAN, sorry to hear about your shin, not too sure what you can do for that except maybe take a day or two off and give it a chance to rest - maybe you could do some cycling, swimming or some other non-impact exercise instead to stop you going mad!

• Options

Oh KP - wrap up, dose up and plenty of fluids. You'll be fine in a day or two, I'm sure - are you able to take a day or so off work?

Thank you for advice - I'll lay off tomorrow's run and do plenty of cycling to keep up the cardio fitness.

• Options

ff - might not be as bad as you fear. Take it easy for a day or two.

kp - get to bed!

• Options
    Im travelling from the airport to near the Grand Theatre, could anyone suggest public transport? I have looked at it looks like the 748 would be the closest one but this would still be about a10 min walk away from the hotel. Could I potentially change somewhere?
  • Options

Theres shuttle buses that leave the airport regularly - every 15 mins I think. They take you to pretty near the start and take about 1/2 hour.

• Options
    ffRAN....join the club! My right shin also. I'm just stretching calves, foam rolling them, swimming instead of  running (or in my case walking ) and just keeping fingers crossed so who knows?..My Dublin has been jinxed from the start!
  • Options

James 1986 -  Your best bet would be to get the 747 or 748 from the airport to Bus Áras / Central Bus Station. Then you will just need to stroll down the quays and across the Samual Beckett Bridge to get the the Grand Canal Theatre area. Should only take about 15 minutes. I'm guessing you're staying in the Maldron or someplace?

Cross city services aren't great here in Dublin, particularly not down near Grand Canal / Sir John Rogersons. That bus ticket is about €10 return. A taxi would cost about €30 / €40 depending on traffic.

• Options

LindaP - you sound as if you have the local know-how. Please can I also ask your advice?

We're staying at the Grand Canal Hotel - there are 3 of us flying in from Cardiff so would a taxi be better than a bus?

Paddy - I quite agree with you - probably nothing long-lasting but still very sore whilst walking. But as soon as I get into my stride I can run it off. Mind you, I broke 2 toes a few years back and as soon as I run the pain went - endorphins? (I didn't know they were broken at the time.) No run today but that was more because I've been in work 13 hours due to 3 different meetings, but still, a rest.

Sarah - where did you buy your foam roller?

• Options

ffRAN...I'm afraid I can't remember....off internet. Google foam roller and you should get something.  How are the shins?

I now have the sore lumpy throat that all my family have had ! ..have never spectated at a mara before so this could be a first...although did watch my sisters run their first 10k in London this year and had a fantastic day so this could be my best ''marathon day ''yet ! Not given up yet though,,

• Options

Hi ffRAN. The Grand Canal Hotel is over near Ballsbridge, close to the Grand Canal Dart station. You too could get the 747 or 748 into Bus Áras / Central Bus Station but you could then get the DART (local rail) from there to get you closer to your hotel.

However, a better option might be to use the Aircoach service from the airport. These big blue buses have a stop at the Schoolhouse which is only a 10 min stroll from your hotel. I think that costs about €8 each (one way) so will be a bit cheaper than a taxi. http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.ballsbridge.php

• Options

So! All recovered from Berlin and just in time to taper down! Ran some hill repeats last night and a LSR tomorrow. That should do the trick.

I hope everyone is well and ready to go!

Martin

• Options
    PS Definitely take the Aircoach!
  • Options

LindaP  and E122 thank you for the advice - will be useful.

Just been for a swim so not going to run again today. May go to spin later if I can tear myself from my little grandson (visiting for weekend). Legs feel a little better.

• Options
    Morning all,

Hope everyone's running/tapering is going well and any niggles are improving.

Been and done 13.5 this morning - probably ran a bit faster than I should have and legs still feel a bit tired from last week's tough 20. Anyway, nice not to feel completely shattered for the rest of the day!

Feel like I'm kind of making up my training as I go along at the moment so hopefully I'm doing the right things.

Thanks for all the practical info from the locals, restaurant and transport recommendations have been very useful!

Have a good weekend.
  • Options
    I just been and done 12 at just under MP and my legs felt like lead and I found new aches I never knew I had. After the Athlone 3/4 I took a couple of days off then ran a very quick (For me) 6 miler and felt great, the next day I felt a lot rougher and finished 6 minutes slower than the day before, I had a rest day yesterday and thought I would be OK for today but I think the hills in Athlone took more out of me than I expected. I think my tapering needs to kick in now and I will really drop back on Mileage 3 x 6 milers next week with a Saturday 8 miler and final week I will do 3 x 3 milers and 2 miles the day before the Marathon. Hopefully I should have a bit in the tank for the Marathonimage