Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Oh dear ffran..you are not having much luck are you?

Could it just be the usual pre marathon hurts that plague us in the last two weeks then go away as soon as the race starts do you think ?

I hope so, I'm also hoping so for me...I've definitley got a '' head in the sand '' approach to this marathon now!

• Options

Sarah - I swear it's all psychosomatic - but also know it's a question of doing too much for my old bones. I've always run with the bone out of place- thought the dull ache was arthritis until I had a hospital checkup for another issue. It can be manipulated back into place but because I tore the tendons 20 years ago, it's likely to slip out again, apparently. It's going to be a question of how long it will take me to finish, but finish, I will!!!

AS WILL YOU - I am certain, and you'll surprise yourself too.

• Options

aftternoon all. i hope training going well.

FF - hang in there.

Have a bit of a cold myself but am hoping it to be well gone by mid week. Still managing to get in the training though.

• Options

Thanks Paddy - PS it was a ligament I tore, not a tendon- duh! Far less of a problem. Hope your sniffles are better by next weekend.

- 9 more sleeps!

• Options

Hi,

A slightly ignominious first post, but here goes... I like to leave the toilet until the last possible moment before a race, so I can be sure not to have to stop.  The queues for the portaloos never allow this. 

For those with local knowledge, are there any suitable alleyways or bushes near the start, where I could go and... ahem... meditate for a while before the start? image

B

• Options

bj,

Its a big town with parks. If you are brass necked enough you can find somewhere!!

• Options

I know, I know, but I just can't help it...

Monday
    25 Oct Fair
    High: 9° Low: 4°

31 km / hr NNW 64% 45%
  • Options

Jasas adog, Dont watch weather until later in the week, although it does look like its going to be cold!!.

One week to go - is everyone ready??? how is confidence with the targets - no time for fattening the pig now!!! - either youre ready or not!!!!!

• Options

Hiya all,

Been a while since I have posted on here!  Training was going ok, not expecting any miracle times and as long as I get around I will be happy!  I have realised though that marathons just aren't for me, will be sticking to half marathons from now on, my lifestyle doesn't make it easy for me to fit in those long runs and I want to enjoy the runing I do not feel mentally rubbish everytime I have to cut a run short due to time contstraints!

Bit of a setback over the last two weeks, what started off as a nasty cold developed into a chest infection image  Last day of antibiotics today but haven't pulled on my trainers for 2 weeks now as just really haven't felt able to.  Am an active person, having horses to exercise and look after means I haven't been sat around on my backside but getting slightly stressed out now about the lack of running these last 2 weeks! 

Will try and go for a potter tonight and see how the chest feels, fingers crossed!

• Options
    bj - Pop into the Shellbourne and pretend like you belong. Worked for me last year and this year I am actually staying there (got a brilliant deal!).
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

adog - what forecast are you using? Weather channel app shows 12deg and clear but yes a bit early but I can't resist either. Starting to have dreams about it all now! Have to keep reminding myself every day I am ready....

Hope your run goes ok chlo-jo, must be v frustrating being ill. My kids are starting to wonder why I'm avoiding them! Don't want to pick up any schoolyard bugs now

• Options
    At the risk of sounding like a bad person has anyone else developed a terrible fear of people who cough/sniff/look a bit pale? As well as being terrified of getting injured I now leave train carriages when people don't look well. My wife thinks I am turning into a poor version of Howard Hughes and will soon start putting on gloves to open doors. This hasn't happened to me before, is it normal for an Autumn/winter marathon?

I apologise if this offends anyone who already has a cold (Paddy) and wish you all the best.
  • Options
    Bouldy, I work in a hospital but luckily not a patient bit. The thing that worries me is going in to a supermarket and getting hit in the leg by a trolley. I have also been upping my Vitamin G, C and Echinea just in case.
  • Options
    Me too, I am taking every vitamin going. My body is in for quite a shock when this is over and it has to survive on Kilkenny and junk food.

Thanks for your reply, glad I'm not alone.
  • Options
    I,m with you guys im on the echinenea, vit c, and getting paranoid about everything, keep looking at my Brooks and realising i,ve done so many miles in them they must be worn done, thought i was developing sore soles of feet the other day, but don,t fancy forking out for new pair at this stage. I,m still drinking beer and feeling guilty but you have to live too, always find it hard to abstain prior to these runs, then again im only aiming for a 5 hour finish.Enjoy the day lads, its agreat marathon.  
  • Options
    just for a bit of fun Paddy & Jeremy G, check this one out (predicts a feels-like temperature of minus 6c!)

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Dublin

what's the consensus 'bout the right time to be lining up to get near the pacing group one wants to go with? I need to be with the 3.15 group right from the start...would, say, 8.30 be too early to be lining up, freezing the proverbials off, lingering? 8.50 too late?

High-5 gel strategy: figuring popping gel one with a bit of water about ten mins before the start, gel two at around 8km mark, gel three at 16km mark, gel four at 24km, gel five 30km, gel six 36km & have one more in reserve...I'm thinking that's my plan anyway...

Looking forward to it now...oh yeah...
  • Options

Adog,

Are you sure that forecast is for Dublin Irl??!!??

Regarding 3.15 pacers i'd say you would be time enough at 8.40-8.45 - As the lead section is for times up to 3.30 (i think there is about 2500 in this section) and the 3.15 fellas will start off appropriately.

Thats a lot of gels.................. i'm planning on taking three (one at 10 miles, one at 15 and one at 20).

• Options

Hmmm, have been wondering the some thing about lining up times adog. I've heard the tip about a binliner at the start, but can't imagine that's going to keep me very warm (especially if it feels like -6!!) so was wondering what people usually do. Is it possible to keep bags until quite near the start time? Or at least wait with family until the last minute so they can grab jumpers etc?

Felt really tired last week - legs like lead, but went for 5 miles fairly quick last night and felt good so a bit happier now. Planning several short runs this week and trying to dodge snotty kids at work. Also planning what to pack in my case - so far it's mainly going to consist of gels, oat cakes and malt loaf... not sure there'll be much room left for any clothes!! Also now paranoid about lost luggage, so planning on wearing my running shoes... is this craziness normal??!!

• Options
    Tangle, I will also have a backup kit in my hand luggage. I must remember to pack gloves and a few more base layers going on the current forecasts.
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Good idea to wear the trainers - it's a direct flight but it is Flybe from Exeter so anything is possible. -6!!! I flippin hope not - haven't got anything for that cold - maybe base layer + tshirt with newspaper inbetween image
  • Options

I'm taking hand luggage only and yes, surprisingly for me, I've managed to fit it all in. Even some going out, falling down clothes. However I'm really confused about what they'll allow - eg my own gels and my pre-packed porridge.. and what about the million and 1 toiletries I always (don't ) need? Confused.com. One thing - trainers in me handbag, Uggs on my feet - compulsory post-race footwear!

I've got an oldish fleeceand gloves that I won't be too upset about dumping but have had to rethink my kit - I always run in my Welsh vest when outside the Principality- may need a base layer? The forecast I've seen says 11 - 14 deg-2 cms rain and very windy - fine with the 1st two, but wind?

I've gotten used to Lucozade gels, but like High5, but I've been told they have to be taken every 30mins - but hey Paddy, that's how fast you run! 

Tangle - this is what taper is all about - legs will feel fantastic by the 25th.

#Chlo-jo - good healing vibes......you'll be tip-top by Monday.

Kev - (SHAMEFULLY)....I had a hangover yesterday. (Disgusting)

My keep fit strategy - been on the echinacea and manuka (+ vits) for a while - NO public transport and totally ignoring advice to see a doctor about ankle - it's NOT painful AT ALL! 

• Options

A cheap pair of gloves and hat and maybe an old top. Ditch the lot when you warm up!!.

On the weather front, dont panic until you see the forecast on thurs/ Fri. Irish weather is as predictable as the grand national. The forecast for monday will change at least 4/5 more times before monday. just get yourselves prepared as best you can - feck the weather - youve trained in all sorts - a bit of rain and chill will keep you cool!!!.

• Options

Just went out for a steady 3 miler - actually did 3.65 as I miscounted the loops around a running track - but even though I was" taking it easy", did a really fast time(for me) - my legs are playing tricks on me.

However, as I got out of the car - the numb feeling came back and my leg gave way. Weird. And disconcerting.

I agree, Paddy - we've trained in some appalling weather - and I'm never too cold (until I stop) it's just what to eat is really bothering me - I like to have all my familiar bits and bobs.

• Options
    Have not run since Saturday 7.5 miles - Went out all day yesterday and boy do I feel rough today guinness and red wine in vast quantities - I hope a week is long enough to get it out of my system, will try a couple of 3 milers wed and thursday and 2 miles on sun
  • Options
    Exactly my running strategy for the week,  Jim - but I've had an extra day to de-tox .My repertoire Saturday went - Lager, whiskey then cider. For crying out loud - I don't drink like that when there's no marathon on the horizon.
  • Options
    I think the looming marathon makes us (me) do odd things, I'm having a party at my house on Thursday. I think I've lost my mind.
  • Options
    Ooh - can we come????????
  • Options
    Yes come round! Bring a bottle of isotonic drink.
  • Options

Hi all,

Glad to see taper madness is setting in everywhere.  I didn't have much time to think about it today, got stuck at work for 14.5 hours so missed my track session.  It didn't help my nutritional strategy either as I had no time to eat my lunch!  Still, one less day to go.

I like to get to the start line fairly late but get to the venue early enough to queue for the loo for ages, if I get to the front of the queue too early I have to queue again once I've been, bit  mad, but I can't help it!

Hope your run goes well chlo jo.  I tend to eat some energy bar every 30 minutes, starting it at around 1:20.  I tend to get through 1 - 1.5 bars during the race.  I'll start studying the weather reports from about Thursday, I can't say I'm too bothered about the weather on the day, and it's not something I worry about, but I still have an overwhelming need to know, like I said, I am a bit mad! .  Enjoy your party Vellooo - have some isotonic drink for me! 

Hope everyone manages to avoid all germs and has a good final week.

• Options

Been reading back on all that I've missed - glad to see the taper madness/paranoia has properly taken hold! 

Having 2 marathons under my belt in the past 5 weeks I'm feeling quite relaxed about it all, although I feel fairly certain that I've probably ruined my chances of a PB by racing the other 2.  Still, I'll line up with the 4:00 pacer and see how far I can push it.  My OH is still aiming for a sub 3 - he's a perfectionist so I know he'll be gutted if he doesn't get it, it's his first road marathon in many years but I'm looking forward to showing him the Irish hospitality.  Plus it's our anniversary so we'll be celebrating whatever happens.

My training has been ok, on pace and on target - no real niggles.  Been going for my sports massages, taking my ice showers and having hot baths and cross-training.  I've done as much as I can at this stage (and as much as I can do) - there is nothing left to do but pack!  This year i'll try and pack right and left shoes from the same pair of trainers!! 

I'm back on the echinicea too and seem to have so far (everything crossed and touching wood) avoided all lurgy. 

I'm also not too worried about the weather, getting wet doesn't bother me.  Getting cold on the start line will though so I'll have a bin bag on (i'm THAT classy!)

As for the social side... the last time I drank was after my first marathon (the Belfast City 2009).  I got so drunk so quickly - I was at a pub quiz and became rather rowdy. apparently.  Anyway, the hangover (and the shame!) was enough to make me tee-total.  So despite being in Dublin I'll not be touching that black stuff (not that I ever did - more of a bulmers/g&t girl).  Plus for some reason I've booked flights that leave Dublin at 6pm!  That's one method of motivating myself over the finish line!  Still I'll be enjoying the pubs with my OH in the few days before - he's German and therefore seems to be able to run amazingly well fuelled by alcohol!

Good luck everyone, there's nothing left to do but relax, rest and then RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!  xx