Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know if there are any pasta parties or of a suitable restaurant to get a decent feed the eve of the race?
  • Options

Romford - if you go back to page 28 (ish) on this thread there is some discussion there about recommended italian restaurants. Last time we went to Dublin prior to the marathon (step dad was running not me) we ate at a lovely restaurant in Temple Bar can't remember for the life of me what it was called though, I seem to remember it being heaving everywhere though - not suprising!

Ohh yum talk of food is making me hungry image

• Options

In Dublin tonite and staying with my Mother. My Brother and his wife who are also staying at the mo (work being done on their house) both have a stomach bug. I am slightly worried - i will have to be careful. My cold is gone but dont want to catch anything else. Rudeness will be my method!!!

By the way, for those of you obsessed, here is the first forecast worth even taking a look at from the Met Eireann website:

At this stage, it looks as if Sunday will be cool and breezy, with bright or sunny spells and scattered showers, cold overnight with some frost. While it should be drier and brighter on Monday too, with good sunny spells and very few showers.  

I still wouldnt dwell too long on it - wait till Thursday/ Friday.

• Options

My eyes and nose are streaming - throat picky also.

Caught your cold, Paddy - knew I shouldn't have spoken to you!

• Options
    Good luck to everyone, I am suddenly becoming very nervous about my first ever marathon!image
  • Options

James - you will be fine - enjoy it!

On a practical level, I'm staying at the Grand Canal - it's close to the start and finish, but where is the Expo?

• Options
    Expo is at the RDS which is on the South Side just up from Ballsbridge - I would guess that Lansdowne Road would be the nearest Dart station but I am not a Dub and don't use Public transport so I'll stand corrected. Still sweating the beer out - Will do a 3 miler tomorrow
  • Options
    Ffran - get the Dart to Sandymount, turn right out of the station and when you get to the Merrion Road (the first main Road) turn right again and the RDS will be across the road on your left. Its 2 stops from Grand Canal Quay. Alternatively stretch the legs and walk up!! stretch the legs before the race.
  • Options
    I'm driving in from Meath (N3) - I was in Dublin today and was looking for a spot. Lombard Street looks handy - Has anybody got better locations. I used to work near Hogan Place and I got my car broke into there some years ago. It says paid parking Mon-Sat on Lombard Street - I assume that this does not apply on a bank holiday
  • Options

Parking free on Bank Holiday.

• Options
    Busy with a razor tonight cutting the old splits into my arm flesh:
    3:15:00
    Avg Pace
    Mile
    Total Time
    Pace
    07:26.2
    Mile 1
    0:07:26
    Chip Time
    0:14:52
    0:22:19
    0:29:45
    0:37:11
    0:44:37
    0:52:04
    0:59:30
    1:06:56
    1:14:22
    1:21:49
    1:29:15
    1:36:41
    1:44:07
    1:51:34
    1:59:00
    2:06:26
    2:13:52
    2:21:19
    2:28:45
    2:36:11
    2:43:37
    2:51:04
    2:58:30
    3:05:56
    3:13:41
    01:19
    3:15:00
    That's is it. My colours have been nailed to the mast. I'll be back on this thread after the marathon to say where the wheels came off or where the wheels accelerated, where splits were met, missed, et cetera, et cetera...
    On a funny note, I went out & did an easy 3 miles tonight. At about mile two, my right lace loosened & undid itself enough to necessitate a stop...has never happened before with this pair of runners, oh yeah...the Taper Gremlin is messing with my head...
    Best of luck everyone. I'm hoping I'll be checking in after the marathon to read tales of triumph!
    (Paddy, chuck the brother & his wife out...simple as! - want to be reading about that 2.47 next week)
  • Options

For the obsessed from Met Eireann

Most parts of the country will enjoy a dry bright day for Bank Holiday Monday, but after that the weather stays quite wet for next week.

• Options

Just got this from someone - Yiz migfht find it useful:  Adog - you might bhave to adjust splits slightly!image

Course description from a runners point of view: 

Mile 0 - 1 = Flat

Mile 1 - 2 = flat

Mile 2 - 3 = Just after the 2 mile mark theres a climb as you pass by the rotunda. Its about 150m long, then we turn right onto dorset street, which isnt flat, slight drag for the rest of this mile.

Mile 3 - 4 = Fairly flat then some downhill sections, good mile to make some time up.

Mile 4 - 5 = Hit the phoenix park and come out at Chesterfield ave, which always seems like an uphill slog no matter what direction youre headed. Toughish mile.

Mile 5 - 7 = flat with some downhill as we head down upper glen road and towards the chapelizod gate.

Mile 8-9 = Exit park and its flat until we hit a hill that is a bit of a ****er. Only about 200m long but still troublesome.

Mile 9 - 10 = Mostly flat but contains a drag.

Mile 10 - 11 = Flat - downhill

Mile 11 - 13.5 = Emerge out at dolphins barn, drag that lasts for 2.5miles. This is a poxy part of the course and if theres even a slight wind it'll be very tough. So dont go crazy in the lead up to this point in the race, be conservative. Half marathon point is reached just after superquinn.

Mile 13.5 - 15 = Flat. If youre going for a negative split nows the time to crank things up a notch, next couple of miles are easy.

Mile 15 - 18.5 = A good few downhill segments, an opportunity to make up some quick miles.

Mile 18.5 = Hill. Nothing major, about 100m but enough to knock the stuffin' out of your legs. Then downhill to about 19.5miles

Mile 19.5 = Another kicker of a drag on clonskeagh road. Lasts unitl the 20mile point

Mile 20 -21 = Has roebuck hill but it isnt anything major. But at the same time, bide your time and go steady as after this its flat miles all the way to the finish. After roebuck hill theres a nice desent to the stillorgan duel carriageway.

Miles 21 -24 = flat. Just after 24 theres a slight climb over the canal bridge. About 30m.

Miles 24 -26.2 = Flat

First half is defintely harder than the second half so it'd be well worth waiting til after the walkinstown roundabout to make a move and take things up a notch. Plenty of flat easy mles in the second half, particularly in the last 10k, so even if you left it til the last 10k to speed up that would reep big rewards.

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Very useful Paddy thanks
  • Options

anyone know a good place for pasta the night before the marathon?

• Options

great insight Paddy ... Will remember that if the first half feels tougher than it should!

Calves cramping a lot at the mo when not running, despite significantly less training this week ... usually no problems.. Taper gremlins, or something else I should be doing?

Good luck to everyone for Monday !

• Options
    IMO - the mile by mile makes it look easier than it is. For exmple, 18-22 is pretty tough as all the hills there are steeper than elsewhere on the course.
  • Options
    From the course video a lot of it looked uphill but i think that was to do with the angle of the camera on the bike/car it was on.  Look like a few sharp turns. 
  • Options

Calves cramping a lot at the mo when not running, despite significantly less training this week ... usually no problems.. Taper gremlins, or something else I should be doing?

Yes, think how tasty the guinness will be afterwards more than pounding the course itself!

• Options

Good advice! A few pints to celebrate ..

Another thing - and really interested in your thoughts.... I'm in two minds about what trainers to wear..... My ASICS Kayanos - lots of support , used for all long runs (MP +30/60s) but feel heavy + bulky and therefore slow, or ASICS DS 14s - less support, used for all my speedwork (MP -60/90s) and used for all recent 10k/half marathon races. In the latter the MP feels easy, in the former hard work....

Had no issues with the DS 14s during halfs etc, but will the extra 1/2 find them out and the lack of support kick in with associated pain??

Previous 4 marathons done in ASICS GT-2150s ...

Really am in two minds ....

What should I do ?

• Options

Romford - take magnesium tablets for the cramps - i'm not sure how long they take to kick in but they do work.

Tricky - be brave - go for the lighter shoe!!!

• Options

Daily update for the weather obsessed:

It will be mainly dry on Monday but becoming cloudy as rain will push into the west by evening and cross the country overnight and into Tuesday. High 9C and low 7C. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Looking ok!!

All could still change though!!

• Options

And heres Met Eireann:

Monday: A cold, generally sunny day in store. After a calm, frosty start winds will freshen from a southerly direction and temperatures will rise to between 10 and 13 degrees by evening.

And you can start believing them at this stage - hold off on full belief for a little while more though. I'm getting hopeful!! - and remember  - a pair of gloves i think though.

Safe Journey to anyone travelling! 

• Options
    Anyone planning on using the DART (local train) on Monday pay attention to this
  • Options

Am all packed and will be on  my way to stanstead at lunchtime.  I decided, possibly in a moment of madness, to pack a left and a right shoe from different pairs again...  well it worked last year!  Both pairs Ive worn for long runs so hopefully it should be all good.

Trick - re: your shoes I am clearly not one to give sensible advice, however I would be wary if I hadnt run my long runs in the shoes I was going to wear.  However I guess it depends how much support you really need in order to be comfortable.  I have very high arches and I over pronate (I blame child-enforced ballet and irish dancing!) so i would not be comfortable after 20 miles in my speedwork shoes.  However MP should definately not feel like too much hard work...  Anyway, who am I to give advice?!!  I'm wearing odd shoes! 

Booked my restaurants yesterdays - Saba and The WInding Stair will be featuring image

Really looking forward to this, good luck everyone!  Remember your binbags!

Katie x 

• Options

I'm  all packed too but leaving from Cardiff early  tomorrow morning: Very excited and hoping pain-killers will do the trick.

Louise: There's lots of talk about restaurants a few pages back - 28?

I'll be the short (I prefer "fun-size") blonde in a Wales vest - with Fran on it - at the 4 or maybe 4:30 pen if anyone wants to say Shwmai. Pob Lwc, Pawb xxxxxxxx

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Was thinking about a run today but had 2xCross + 2x 5milers this week so decided to stay in and eat pasta! Checking reservations was good - I booked a different hotel than original plan! Staying in O'Callaghans St Stephens Green so a short walk to the start. Restaurant booked for Sunday - Bocca just off Grafton Street as recommended to me. Tickets booked for the Guiness Storehouse too!! After 4 1/2 weeks off it that first pint will be good!!

Seems everyone is getting excited! See you all there!

• Options
    Important question, has the pub for post run been agreed?