Options

Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Thanks Rob,

And as you've probably gathered, I won't be marshalling as I appear to be fit (?) to run. I'm looking forward to a good old sing-song before collapsing at the top of the first hill!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Can`t wait for Monday`s posts.... image
  • Options

You know you want to do this Mr K.

Or are you saving yourself for the PICNIC next year image 

• Options
    Dr Robert...I'm thinking of cycling over to the race. Is there anywhere I could safely stash the bike?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I cycled last year. There are bike racks at the cafe at the foot of the hill, but I left my bike alongside the luggage stash at the start and finish line. There's people there throughout.
  • Options

Cheers Muttley...cycling it is then!  Should warm the legs up for that first hill!.

• Options
    Good luck everyone! I'd like to say I'll see you at the start but I'm going to drop out. Really feeling out of sorts just now. I have offered my services to Dr Rob so if I feel up to it and I'm needed then maybe I'll be filling some water cups at a checkpoint instead!
  • Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

this had better be as good as I hope it's going to be..........

I've opted not to drink any alcohol tonight (part of my normal pre-race prep), but the England game is on, and I'm going to really struggle to survive the next 30 mins without a beer in my hand..........

• Options
    Run JonoRun Jono ✭✭✭
    Better get in training for this one - first job is to tackle the stairs up to bed.........zzzzzzzz
  • Options

After bruising my knee and ankle (on both legs!) in two seperate incidents in the timber yard at work I'm glad race day has finally arrived - it's always a worry in my job if I can reach race day unscathed so these little injuries can only be bettered by anything that may (or hopefully will not) happen on the day!!

Thankfully this race comes later in the day because my stupid body clock goes haywire in the summer - many times in the past few weeks I have suddenley been wide awake between 4 - 5 o' clock in the morning but today it's 3 - 4am!  Forunatley I have the ability to adapt, I think it's in the long distance / marathon / Trionium phsyce!

So, my top ten of  must not do pre race preparations is...

1. Injure both legs

2. Watch a full 90mins of a totally unbelievably crap England performance (again) to unsettle the nerves!

3. Drink myself into oblivion to celebrate Fabio Cappelos' bitrhday / inability to play Joe Cole & Peter Crouch

4. Sleep as little as humanly possible

5. Take up chain smoking

6. Have a full fry-up at Rykers Cafe a few hours before the race

7. Neck a few pints of whiskey

8. followed by a few more fags

9. Realise I have entered a Trionium race...

10. Wonder what the hell I'm doing...!  imageimage

That said I will probably feel 'normal' when I finish the Munro!

See you later today... I'll be the one armed with the Nivea for men Revitalising Eye Roll-on (last night never happened, apparently...!)

From one of Rob's inmates on the run...

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

image Andy have you been drinking again?

• Options
    Not nearly enough... might crack open that bottle of Jack before I drive down to 'The Hill!'
  • Options

I'm having my legs massaged BEFORE the race..hmmm..run...hmmm...hike...!image

See you all there later - I'm the oriental looking old heck struggling at the back...image

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone in today's race... I just hope that the locals don't take the marker tape down (as usual...)
  • Options
    See you all at the hill image
  • Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    Last set of steps - absolute hell.  Legs no longer function.  Patient does not want life prolonged by extraordinary measures.  Do not resucitate.........................image
  • Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone on finishing. Tough enough?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, nobody wanted my place so I just had to take Mr K's advice and man up image

And did better than I expected, I think about five minutes slower than last year. I'll settle for that.

That last set of steps just about did for me, though. I pretty much ground to a halt halfway up.

Fantastic event, as always. Well done to Dr Rob. Too knackered to post a review just now. Tomorrow. Assuming I can walk to the computer. I wish I lived in a bungalow.

• Options

Thank you Rob for another fantastic event today. Organisation was excellent, great marshalls, good weather and lots of lovely cake at the end.

Second time I have run the Munro and I knocked 6 mins off last year's time, so am very chuffed. I kept telling myself to hold back in the first half and it worked. I dragged myself up the steps at the end and felt great at the top. Then just as I was about to run down the hill to the finish my right calf cramped up really badly. Thanks to the runner who offered to stop and help. I managed to stretch it out and hobble home. My kids ran down the hill with me at the end which was great.

Well done to everyone who took part today and thanks to the marshalls and everyone handing out sweets, it really helped.

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

oh my golly gosh............

this was as tough as I knew it would be, and my legs now feel as though I would be better off having them both amputated....... however, the sense of achievement as I reached the top of the steps on the way back, and the self-satisfaction I felt as I freewheeled down the final slope to the finish was fantastic.... as are the t-shirt and the fab running cap!

Thanks to Dr Rob and all the marshals - you were great!

Dr Rob - I meant to mention to you today that there's going to be an article in the next month's Runners World mag about me running today for Adam's Appeal, so hopefully the run will get a bit of extra publicity.....

GO's JustGiving page

• Options

Sold my place 3 weeks ago following a long lay off injured. Ran the Recce run 2 weeks ago and the desire to run it started to be rekindled. Anyway sold my place so maybe next year.

Then a running partner, with a race number, had been sidelined with stomach problems but no, I'd be mad to run such a hard race with only a few weeks training.

Typically, I couldn't resist and I'm glad I did, it was a superb event and my self esteem is sky high (makes a change!).

Thanks Dr Rob and if I don't run in your events I'll do my best to come and marshall.

• Options
    I must I must do the Picnic next year (just not sure how)
  • Options

Well done to all the runners!

We are currently  starting to upload our photos to our web site. They should be available later on tonight or tomorrow.

We will post on here when theyr'e ready, or you can keep your eyes on http://www.race-photo.co.uk/ 

Good luck for your next races!

• Options

Dr Rob: If you are able, without too much trouble, to amend the results to show that No 139 was Phil Davies (age 53) and not Stuart Hambling I would be very grateful.

If not, don't worry, I will just carry on impersonating him - he's younger, has more hair and much better looking than me! 

• Options
    Excellent as always. Sadly fell at about 4 1/2 miles and that was me out.
    Well done to everyone for making it such a good atmosphere, and the st John's ambulance who gave me an extra prize of a certificate!
  • Options

Tough tough tough.  Ran half of it with a huge grin on my face and the other half with a look on anguish.  Those 3rd set of steps did for me.  Couldn't even walk them in the end.  Had to stop and rest half way up.

Today every muscle in my legs is screaming.  Scrapes on knees and hands from falling a$$ over t*t at the 9 mile mark but will I do it again ?  You bet  image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Unlucky Gareth, hope you're OK. 

Great fun.  For all my near-misses going downhill, I only fell over when I approached the last set of steps going up.  Didn't quite have the energy to lift my leg up high enough.  Oops.  Very pleased with my race, and the fact that my dodgy knee didn't complain.  7th place, 1:51.

Rob - thanks for a great day, may well be back for this one.

• Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    Where are the results?  I can only see the ones for last year still
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

No results up yet, I just had some friendly marshalls letting me know my position on the way round.

My glutes feel better than I thought they would this morning. Stairs should be OK...