Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    micnphil save some room just in case
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    micnphil

can you wheel me back to my travel inn at the end just about 5 mins away near Sainsburys
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Micheal make sure you know your hotel is about 1 mile away, even Mick can't get there in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/images/pr_blaconoldstation_oct09.jpg

Here's a picture that was in the local papers that shows how wide it is...(I was born in a house backing onto the railway line and we used to get the train into town from this very point!)

• Options

Blimey, I wish I'd got the bike out last week and gone along the course... just to check it out, didn't realise it went so narrow at points I'll be honest... good job they set it to a 1000 limit, obviously this was part of the organisers thoughts.

Cheers Pug image

P.S. Just ate a nice Asda Pizza, and will be munching on doughnuts in a bit image

• Options

I`m fed up with Pasta I`m glad that's the end of it. Risotto tomorrow for the final fuel up!

• Options
    Mrs bought a load of doughnuts here too!  Nice!
  • Options

Hope you are all fit and ready to race..I am a fifty year old with a 4yr old pb of 2.47.02.and a recent disappointing 2.54.at this years VLM. I think it might be interesting for any 50+ runners who are competing in this catergory  to declare their intentions and make the marathon a race instead of just another watch watching time trial. We could meet up at the start and have our own race within a race. Any takers ?

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Mr puffy

as soon as I have got back will be flat out on bed then teatime go and have fish and chips in Sanisburys
  • Options

David

cannot oblige really

i'm 52 ALMOST but got Mr Philip to push

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    mic and you will do well as you always do ready for this now picking number up tommorrow after checking in travel inn
  • Options
    David that sounds a bit serious to me! I'm a slow 29 year old female so no good I'm afraid!!

Thanks for the photo Puffy..it does look quite narrow?!

Now we are worried about mud and narrow paths?! Argh.. to be honest I reckon I can come with both of those better than a heatwave.

Subbuteorob - think it was you who posted that link to the paceband site, I've heard about those ones and been meaning to look at them.

I've actually just made my own up for the first time in ages... all it has is my target times for 5, 10, 13.1, 20 and then every mile til the end!! I know I need to stick to 8.45 pace but have spaced it so that I can slow to 9 min miles (which I know full well will not feel any slower by that stage!) after 20 miles.. so it's in nice straight minutes and easier to follow. I hate the standard marathon pace bands with so many tiny numbers....! My numbers are nice and big and mostly in straight minutes image
  • Options
    Jayne - I've done marathons 5 weeks apart and 1 week apart.. I wouldn't recommend any closer than 3 or 4 weeks apart unless you are like Hellen and are used to pretty high mileage weeks anyway... For me, 5 weeks apart was perfect and that is one reason I am doing Chester as it's 5 weeks after London so hoping for a repeat performance of last time I did this! (and 1 week apart I managed to get away with, doing the 2nd one only 2 mins slower but it took me much longer to recover and overall I think it was a bad idea for someone like me so I wouldn't do it again!)
    Good luck sleeping in the car on the way, are you sure you won't be too nervous?!

I'm dreading the drive over if I'm honest, it should only take 1.5 hrs from Leeds but I'm a nervous driver at the best of times plus I've only had the car 3 weeks and already managed to reverse it into the house last week....!!! At least the roads should be quiet that early on bank hol morning. Just hope I can make it back without legs cramping up or falling asleep, eek!
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I am runner 850 the numbers are now on the entry list

well I am signing out of here till Tuesday now so good luck to me and all runners see you at the start
  • Options

TM

hang on , whats all this we

we as in YOU you mean, worried about mud and narrow paths

I'm NOT, least of my bloody problems image 

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    I had a little jog-let today 4.5 miles on the route. I started a little bit further on than the rubgy club poss 0.25 mile, ran to Guilden Sutton onto the greenway and down on to the bridle path for the loop back to G. S. I can repost theat there seems to be a couple of micro hills - down out out of G.S thus a slight rise around mile 25, and a little rise onto the greenway, so gentle really, oh and poss also gentle rise 25.5 to bridge over A55. The surface at the greenway start is super smooth Tarmac, the bridlepath on loop1 is not muddly it is relatively even but obviously not as smooth as road or cycle path. Main problem a bit of the old knee pain, I know my shoes are due for replacement so I'll retire thn Monday night. Ibuprofen & ice pack ?
    David sub 3hr aged 50 amazining keep it up, I'm 51 and my pb was 4:19 5 week ago at Stratford, but well pleased as my previous pb was 25 yr ago. See you all soon. I'll try & register tomorrow.
  • Options

Mick - nah I'm not really worried... just looking for excuses for not pb-ing already image

Oo yes thanks for pointing out the numbers Ash, I am 299 image

Wrexhamrob - I am going to completely ignore what you have just said about any type of hill at miles 25 and 25.5, that's just cruel!! I'll probably either be too tired to notice by then or will have given up my pb / GFA mission and not care anyway...

Right I need to finish my club newsletter... well, when I say 'finish' it - none of them know I am doing Chester so I was thinking of leaving a space for a Race Review of it, quickly doing one when I get home then put it up on the website, hee hee. 

• Options

Tutu, dont worry about the drive home, I am sure you will be OK.  I dont drive much and am not very confident.  was really worried about my first drive home from a marathon which was about an hour but it was fine.

Going back to the multriple marathons.  My first was FLM 07, I then did Ed 5 weeks later.  I overdid it between the 2 as I had no idea really.  That is the hard thing, knowing what to do, a learning experience.  I can now get away with a lot more.  It also depends how hard you go.  My PB is 3.52 but I can go out and run 4.30 on consecutive weekends no probs.  I think if I tried to run sub 4 on consecutive weekends I would be asking for trouble though!

• Options
    my pb depends on if i get my leg over tomorrow night
  • Options

HI all, hope the evening of pasta and cakes has been good - I've had my fill and managed 2 helpings of profiterole pudding (frech cream is sooo good for carbs).

Hellen/Tutu much - cheers for the advice. Am very tempted to do both autumn marathons - I have done both individually before, but really feel like challenging myself. I did Stratford marathon 5wks ago and knocked 5 mins off my PB - so I will see how it works out on Monday.

More pasta tomorrow for me & I might squeeze in some more pudding.

Tutu much - take it easy driving over perhaps some chilled out music to help you on your way.

Getting excited & nervous - see you all Monday

• Options
    dont u mean Hexcited image
  • Options

Hellen - FLM 07 / Edinburgh was what I did too... got my old diary out to see what I did in between and was shocked at how little it was! But that's obviously what worked... all I did was one half marathon with pretty much no running for a week either side of it, and a few fairly short runs... so I've tried to mirror that this time although I did a marathon paced 10 mile run 2 weeks ago. Can't imagine that would be too much though, so fingers crossed.

Jayne - good tip re: chilled out music, will have a think!

Just spent AGES writing the directions out (I really should get myself a satnav!), it looks a lot further on paper! But I've driven to Manchester several times before, including in the middle of rush hour (probably the scariest drive of my life!) so it's not really much further past Manc - I'll be fine. Definitely will be after one of those post-races massages before setting off home though.

I'm getting excited now - why can't it be tomorrow?! I feel all ready to go now I've got my directions and pace band ready... what am I going to do with myself tomorrow?!?! (apart from sort out relaxing music for the drive there)

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you said that tutu, I have done since London- a week's rest, then 15, then raced Chester half, pb, then 13 last week including club nights a total of 65 miles
  • Options
    Anyone need a pacer at  sub 2.15 pace? Rates negotiable!
  • Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

pacer for 4:15 pls image Jayne B i pb' d at Stratford 4:19  then ran twice then none for 10days with back injury, how did you do at Stratford ? in 2007 i did London then Blackpool around 8 week later & knocked 15-20min or so off my pw @ London

TuTu if youre from Leeds or anywhere Yorkshire - you wont notice the gentle undulations , 230 paces and theyre  done ! no not too far after Manchester- M56 no probs,

when i drove home after stratford - i had a breif Loo & mainly walk stretch break after an hour

• Options

Puffy - was about to say "that's way more than me" but actually have just added up my miles since London and it comes to 64, how funny! You've done more "long" runs than me though.

Daniel... yeah I'll give sub 2.15 a go, why not? image

• Options

Jayne I agree that 3 to 4 weeks apart is a good strategy one which I've been following for 13 months, I've slowly been getting faster, until last month I started running one a week which has seen my times suffer image

David I'm 53 but you are to fast for me was trying for a sub 3:15 but because of the one a week as above I'd now be happy with sub 3:30.

Lol Mick picking up runners in front of you would be like a scene from a Buster keaton film.

Hellen that would explain why I've got slower doing weekly marathons because I always run for the best time.

• Options

I'm heading off to Chester now so will be offline for rest of the weekend. Everything seems sorted even the weather looks like its going to be great.

See you guys tomorrow morning and good luck.