Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    Got 6 hours sleep which I think is pretty good. Easy couple of miles this morning.
  • Options

Morning all

under 24 hours to go, gulp, trying to stay calm and drinking lots of water.

arrived yesterday , straight to Excel to pick up number and heard Paula Radcliffe speak which was a bonus.

Wish everyone a great race. See you all tomorrow  

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Can't believe that in 24 hours it will nearly all be over!

Did some proper athletics-celeb-spotting this morning: pretty certain it was Andrew Lemoncello who flew past me on the Embankment this morning. imageimageimage

Taper madness well and truly set in. I'm like a cat on hot bricks!
  • Options

Just finishing up on the final day of the VLM Expo. It’s been a busy week with lots of interesting questions. Before I start with my final bit of advice I just wanted to mention a gentleman who is also trying to go sub 3 hours who I had a great conversation with today and has been ‘lurking’ on the forum for a few weeks now. Hopefully he will let me know how he gets on tomorrow. I thought it would be good to talk a little bit about recovery. I know it will probably be the last thing on your mind once you have finished tomorrow but it’s really important you do everything possible to help your body recover. 

From a nutritional point of view you are looking to replace the fluids/electrolytes you have sweated out and consume some carbohydrate and protein. The amount of fluids that you consume will depend on your individual sweat rates but sports drinks are ideal as they contain simple carbohydrates and electrolytes. Carbohydrate replenishment should be 1g/kg/body mass and protein consumption at around 20g for one sitting. Immediately afterwards recovery drinks and bars are convenient and easy for you to digest.

• Options
    However, there are some simple food alternatives you should be looking to make when you get home or to your hotel: Bowl of cereal/muesli with milk, Beans on toast, Bagels with cheese and a banana, Crumpets with peanut butter, milk and some sweets or Jacket potato with tuna.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479052/Gallery/Post_Exercise_Snack_4.jpg

Once you have made the effort to recover your bodies from a nutritional point of view I can confidentially say you deserve to have a bit of a celebration!! 

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all have an enjoyable day!

• Options

How did we all get on?

2:52 for me went through half way bang on 1:25 and felt good for the magic 2:50 but not this year. Still over the moon with another PB. image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PB but no sub 3: had to make do with 3.03. Split in 1.29.30 but struggled towards the end; I guess the few magic sessions I missed in the last 3 weeks due to illness and work caught up with me (most particularly my 24 miler and a couple of VO2 max sessions). Still, I promised I'd be tolerably pleased with a pb, and that is what I am. I will live to run another day and get that sub 3 monkey off my back!
  • Options
    Got it!!! 2.57.24.....first half 1.30.03, second 1.27.21. Felt fantastic all way round event the last 6m. Back next year for more. Shaved 20 mins of my pb from 2008, happy days!!!!

Met jbfar at the start which was really cool, she's tiny. Hope she got there. Awesome 2.52 tony!!!

Any other results ??????
  • Options
    Jools, you got a pb and gave 100 percent, well done !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Race of two halves for me. Good first 14 bang on pace and nice even running. After 15 started getting cramp in both quads which by 20 had completely siezed up. From then it was grim walk/jog to a 3:30 finish! Very pleased to finish at all given that at one stage I had 3 ST John angels trying to get my legs going again! left them walking like frankenstein's monster!

Oh well New York in November!

Well done J and T.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Lurker surfaces:

JH-C, JFBAR, RH5 and RSalter, I'vef been following your exploits with avid interest over the past few months.

John H-C, I'm sorry you had such a torrid time over the second half. I'm sure if you can get to the bottom of your cramping problems you'll flatten 3hrs. Given that it started so early, and you've not had the problems on your LSRs, do you think it was something to do with pre-race preparation, a shortage of salt or other essential minerals perhaps.

RH5 - Congrats on your result. To be honest your training has ben pointing to a very quick time. Now that you've nailed 3hrs so comfortably and on a negative split, you need to be thinking about sub 2:50 at least.

Just waiting for JBFAR and RS's results. though I admit to having had a peek at RS's result!
  • Options

Richard Hayes 5....I'd be interested to know how your weekly mileage differed from your 2008 pb to todays?

Well done!

Here's hoping JBFAR did it too!

• Options
    Writin this on a train so apologies .. Will write properly later or tomorrow.

Firstly welldone to all who completed the marathon... It's such a tough event As I was reminded today.

Secondly welldone to all those who got PBS and sub 3 s. Awesome.

Thirdly it was great to meet some forumites today. Rich at start, Swiss phil, lorenzo .. Kitenkat and more. I'm so sorry if I wasn't chatty on course. I was having a very bad time.

Fourthly... I had a teribble day, really bad. Was goin for it first half and did 1.30 then everything went wrong and did 1.50 second half... So 3.20
    my quads cramped up and I had to even stop at one point as pains in my chest... So I need some reflection time
    to top it off my world record beat today... Mah.

Will write again soon. Enjoy the celbrations everyone
  • Options
    Weekly mileage in 2008 prep averaged 43. Long runs at 8.40. Weight just over13st.

2010, weekly miles averaged 70, ave long run pace 7.10ish. Weight before carbing 11st5. Last 5 of long runs all sub 6.30 pace.

Definatly feel with a year to build I could go quicker.

Felt fab today, perhaps could have hone harder first half, but didn't want to miss a sub 3. Was always targeting 2.57.30, so happy days here!!

I really hope jbfar, rs, h4rry and the others had a equally great day....
  • Options
    Jbfar, sorry to hear that, we must have posted same time...great to meet you, put it down to a bad day and forget it. Your in sub 3 form, find another race like Edinburgh, cork or chestercand nail it.

It's been great on the forum all helping each other and exchanging views etc.

Reflect, forget and move on, don't be too harsh on yourself though, just a bad day......

Also on train so takes ages to upload and with errors sorry
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Oh JFBAR, I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you today. The time you ran today is in no way a reflection of your capabilities. Everyone on this thread knows that you're well capable of running 20 minutes faster than todays mishap.

I'm sure that all the regulars on this thread would agree that the time and generosity you extended to everyone on here is quite beyond measure. I know you're probably feeling a bit down at the moment, but I hope that in a few days you'll be back to your normal cheerful self, and I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing you at your best again.

Tom
  • Options

RH5 - Fantastic time well done on your sub 3, however with you current race and training times i'm sure you could get close to 2:50... have you got any more marathons lined up for this year? I am doing Abingdon in Oct which is a fast flat marathon.

Christina you should still be very proud of you achievement. After all the the problems and missed training, most would have given up. But you didn't, you battled on and went for it...a big well done.....  

• Options
    Unlucky JBFAR. I know what it's like when the body won't listen. Take heart from how you've progressed during training and how you have stayed so comitted during the programme despite so many injuries and setbacks has been inspirational.

Richard - I have to say I was a bit sceptical at your pacing plan but that 2nd half is amazing. Well done.

2.56:30 for me. Slight twinge in calf at 10miles which freaked me but apart from that everything went well. Only 6 secs between 2 halves. Loved the atmosphere but can't even think about another just yet!
  • Options
    Congrats Joolska. A pb should never be sniffed at so enjoy.
  • Options

Very sorry it didn't work out for you too JBFAR, Interesting to hear suggestions of what caused it- I haven't had any problems like that in training so a bit of a mystery. 

Very well done to RH and all who got their targets.

• Options

Christina ((()))

You going for coffee at Maison Blanc tomorrow?? Come if you can.  11am. Other WADAC people there. Flipflops and medals. 

Well done everyone image

• Options

Well done guys. Particulalrly those who got what they were after.

Not a great day at the office at all for me. Did 3.14. Never really got going at all. Struggled to focus and found the big crowds put me off to some extent. Went through half in 1.31 but just couldn't get the legs going well at all after that.

Fairly gutted tbh but hey ho. Live to fight another day. Rather depressingly I'm not really getting any better - improving on PB remains a long way off-despite big step up in training. I'm doing Loch Ness in Oct.Plan is to focus on 3 really quality sessions a week and just 2 very easy jogs. Think I've been sacrificing quantitiy for quality.

I also think I'm over analysing myself and need to relax and enjoy the whole thing again.

At least we're all still in one piece and can do it all over again

Don't think I'll be posting much from now on as part of my tactic to chill out a bit more about the whole thing but have enjoyed the whole forum experience hugely.

Big well dones again to everyone !!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

(((JBFAR)))

Really sorry to hear you had a tough day at the office.  Did cyber-stalk you and saw that the second half had been hard.  I know it's hard to take in at the moment, but everyone is right: you were due more than 3.20 today and for whatever reason it didn't happen.  Sub 3 will happen and happen soon.  (We both need to believe in that one!)

Nice results from LT and RH.  Agree that RH needs to raise (lower?!) his expectations for the next marathon.

JHC: sounds like a painful way to run a marathon.  Take it easy and recover carefully.

• Options

Thanks Joolska, I think my demise was down to dehydration. I had 500ml LS just before and took water from each station but only had a couple of swigs each time. Even though the weather was good today it was quite warm and I prob didn't realise I was getting dehydrated. 

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

A strange and emotional day for me today..............

Firstly congrats to RH and Tony and others who nailed their targets. Seems like you guys really stormed it today. RH you obviously have some serious talent for this. I still think I have some buried deep somewhere but it's not quite there yet, lol

JBFAR - one of those days, no doubt you'll nail sub 3 at some point you clearly have the talent for it....it's never given to you easily as i've found out....Really sorry to hear you suffered badly today though hun.

Fraser - same goes mate, one of those days too, marathon is unforgiving, maybe today just wasn't the day.

I;ve just got in after meeting my folks  and then meeting loads of mates in Covent Garden for a proper pint session which was needed.. Good old drink up....

So in short sadly I didnt get the time I wanted. Came in at 3.00.31. I feel very disappointed but at the same time content with what I ran as for whatever reason I don't think I could've run much faster.

1st half, paced it very well and actually felt like I was running within myself so was looking forward to lifting with the pace having gone through 1.28.43. Sub 3 pacer seemed like he was steaming it so I stuck to my plan.

Saw my folks at 15 1/2 and then 17 1/2 and felt really good. I was about a minute ahead of schedule at this point. I then saw unexpectadly a really good friend of mine randomly at 20 miles who I used to run with. He's had some real issues with depression and went off the radar but I saw him at 20 and suddenly got quite emotional, at that point i felt good.

From 21/22 to the finish, what can i say, I just didn't have it to see it out. I never suffered a truly terrible patch or injury but it just started to gradually go away from me. I never gave up mentally and felt like my leg turnover was ok but it just seemed to slip away., I turned into the Mall with the clock turning to 2.59.57 and then 3.00 so there it was.........

I've tried to be reflective and I really enjoyed the company/piss up with mates after was much needed. I am massively disappointed though with respect to how much training I've put in and in relation to my half times. But the marathon is unforgiving and today I never really kicked on second half even though i felt I paced the 1st half really well. Can't explain it, didn't quite have that zip, couldn't move into that 5th gear I felt I'd gained in training, who knows I'm not going to beat myself up too much. I did find it quite humid towards the end,

It's there for me with the right training and potentially a much faster time but today just wasn't the day. Definitely thinking of Amsterdam or Dublin in OCtober. I love London in lots of ways but having run it 3 times I really do fancy somewhere different, someth refreshing. Thats not to say I won't run next year as I have GFA option. I need to chill and reflect first though.

Anyway all self indulgent stuff here, bored you enough!!!! lol I've loved coming on here the last few months, again for those who nailed their targets, absolutely fantastic, for those who didn't quite make it...............my thoughts are with you, I know how yr feeling image You take it on the chin and move on I guess even if it is tough

Cheers,  Rob

p.s Joolska I think i walked past you when you were sitting down at the finish but I was being "reflective" and didn't stop to say hello for some reason. Should have done.

• Options

JBFAR better luck next time, you"ll do it without the pressure on you, some cracking times done today 

Did 2.57.34 ,faster than last year,happy chappyimage

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Jokerman - so what time did you achieve today then?
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Can't believe I'm still up but anyway....

Jokerman, you don't have to come on here to make friends but wouldn't a simple "commiserations" suffice given that people have run, suffered and are probably very dispirited today if things haven't gone their way. Rather than coming across as some kind of running loud mouth.

• Options

Jokerman,

Well out of order. Like backing the horse after the race.

I ran sub 3 last year and am in better shape. Ran 3.13 today and it was a harder race than when i went sub 3. Could be worse. Always will have a chance again. I learnt a few valuable lessons. Diet is appalling. But i reckon i am in 2.55 shape.........Will go sub that later on in year......I struggled at 4 miles. Went thru halfway in 89 flat and had nothing. Stomach was in ribbons.

JBAR, I understand  your disappointment. You will nail it later on year. Take a few weeks off. Give the body a break.........

did anyone see the runnerworld 3 hour man.........At 10km ireckon he was running at 2.53 pace. If i am right he shouldnt be doing it again.