Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Mark Street - good to see you.

Pinks, you *flew* past me just before the 30k marker.  What An Achievement, excellent

Hash, I am gutted I missed you, I also missed Connie, even tho I did spot the RW stand and went running towards my group, I took the bag I was handed thinking it was my gels, ran off, looked, and realised it was 3 jelly babies! 

Pip - your description of the first 15 miles sounds like a re-run of my experience last year ... and I had no idea at the time why it'd happened.  I *think* in retrospect it was cos I had too much lucozade.  Dreadful feeling ... it was the right thing yesterday for you to pull out.  Hard.

goodness you guys came off badly when it came to toenails, ewwwwwww.

I had a real toughie of a run yesterday, didn't manage sub 4:30, which I realised quite early on was too ambitious, I did 4:31:42 which is close enough for me to know I can do it another time image Once I can walk that is!  I think the inconsistency in my training explains it all - I've struggled to get LSRs in week after week, and next to no running for last 3 wks.  I was really aching and finding it hard before I even got to Tower Bridge, haven't felt like that before.  Had to cope with waves of nausea from about 12 miles onwards, tbh really don't know how I finished yesterday.  It wasn't pleasant.  I blubbed and blubbed (saves money on buying marathon photos image) and was still at it when Mr HT met me 40 mins later.  Sheer relief at having finished I think.

Thanks Hash, really.

• Options

HT .. that was about my time from 2 years ago............i was gutted for a while as it wasn't sub 4:30 and had to tell myself a few times that it was a PB........

It will come.everything has to go right on the day for  our perfect performances and that rarely happens........

marathons are so much harder than you think...........I will be doing more off road stuff for a while as less pressure to get a fast time.......more chance to enjoy the experience.....

well done to all who ran and there will be another day for everyone

• Options

5.27 wooohooooo imageimage  I am so pleased not sub 4.30 but from mile 18 the lack of shade round there really got to me and I got all shakey, time to pull off the gas as I wanted to enjoy it and enjoy it I did image next goal was sub 5- that came and went saw my family and friends at big ben and tha spurred me home for goal number 3 sub 5.30 imageimage

I had such a excellent day and it was lovely to meet you Hash!

Will catch up on everyones posts in a bit!

Where do I sign up for next year........................image?

• Options
    Hi VikW - Lovely to meet you this weekend and soooooo glad you enjoyed your first marathon. Crazy wasn't it???? Do you know how Sezz and FF got on? Sorry I haven't read back image
  • Options

I know FF got a new PB 4.11 I think not sure about Sezz as only saw her briefly!!!  How did you get on? Thank you for your company saturdaynight- I wonder if that woman got her sub 3 or whether she walked off he course agin!!!

Still can't get other the size of that house!!!

• Options

Oooooo well done FF!!!!
    I got 4.27 a bit dissapointed but enjoyed it none the less image
    Yeah it was a lovely house and a lovely family. I will try and find out how her friend Mandy got on.
    We will probably never know how the sub 3 lady got on, she probably had a lot more room to run than us mere mortals!!!!

How's your legs? 

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Well that was the hilliest London marathon I can remember !  Who put that hill at Mudchute, mile 17 ??!

I can barely walk today, my quads, as usual, are knackered and walking downstairs, sitting on the loo and getting out of a chair are near on impossible. Plus my shoulders hurt and my ribs - actually not sure there isn't a part of me that doesn't ache.

Well done to Ron for getting sub 4:30, that's brilliant, and to those who were so near.  In fact well done to everyone who finished yesterday in whatever time, it was a tough day and very warm.

I started off well and I think that up until about mile 18-ish, I was well on track for sub 4:30, but then the wheels came off and my legs had had enough. I finished in 4:38, which, all things considered, I'm happy with. 

Considering my training hasn't been that good, just 3 runs a week (in some cases just two) and a maximum of 10 miles mid week rather than 15-20 in the latter stages of the schedule, I'm pretty pleased.  I think it showed that, for me, I definitely need the 4-5 runs a week to really get under 4:30.  And lose weight!  Carbo-loading this week meant I put on 4lbs! 

A good day though.  If anyone is doing it next year and wants to think about accommodation near the start, I highly recommend using the school that me and Vik used - we stayed in a lovely lovely house with a fantastic host with all procees to the school's funds.  A great idea from the parents association.

So I hope everyone is going to have a lovely restful day and don't even think about running for at least 48 hours.

Well done y'all.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Oooh, Valley Runner, well done on 4:27, that's good!

• Options

Morning all, I'm enjoying a lie in but had to catch up and see how everyone got on.

Pip, sorry to hear you had to pull out.

Well done to the rest of you.  That was harder than I thought it was going to be.  The humiditiy really got to me.  I knew from about 7 miles that I wasn't going to get sub 4:30 but I carried on, kept running and my official time was 4:39:30 which I'm really pleased with. image

It was so amazing, and the support was more than I had expected.  I loved that people who lived on the course were out in their gardens playing drums and trumpets.  I managed to see my OH and the inlaws at 9 miles and 25 miles which gave me a huge boost.  The cheering from the crowd was amazing and I was in tears on many occassions.  It was great to see Hash and Bridget at mile 17.  I dropped a cream egg trying to get it out my belt but the other one went down nicely. many thanks.

I saw Liz at the lucozde point but didn't stop as I was just on the water by then - tummy was telling me it was fed up of sticky orange drink and gels.

Vik - thanks for running the first mile with me.  I didn't come to Chandos as the family were tired and I just wanted to get home.  Got back, had a shower and we went to Frankie & Benny's for tea and I wore my medal with pride.image  Also managed a pear cider - lovely.image

OH thinks thats it for my running - he has forgot that I'm doing the Bupa 10km at the end of May and I've not told him that I'm already in the ballot for next year.image

Would love to sample your hospitility again Pinks.image  I'm not sure about Brum but Bedford is looking good for me.  Thank you every one, well done and good luck for any future running.

• Options

4.35 for me, hi to all.........hope you are all fit. Good to see some of you guys yesterday......

Sorry I went in to a trance at Mudchute and just ran passed and then swore at myself at mile 18 thinking oh no I have run out of energy I forgot my jelly babies.............. Thanks for being there hope all went well at Mudchute.

Great day out....did well until mile 22  in 3.50 and then had to walk abit, then got some energy and crawled home to the end......just missing 4.30.......

Well done to all the PBers out there......

What support fantastic, wanted to stop and listen to all the music......cheers to all........

• Options

morning

loving the reports from everyone - well done to all imageimageimageimageimage

just shows that getting round a marathon is a massive achievement in itself - and 4:30 is a bliddy tough target to achieve!

hope eveyone's feeling OK today - I'm not bad at all - bit stiff when I get out of the chair, but fine once I get going - shall be having a few rest days before attempting a gentle return to running image

and image to the toenails - that must be so painful image

• Options

PipG many thanks for your sponsership cheque which was on the door mat when I got home a bit tired at 11pm last night. So sorry you had a bad day at the office. There will be another I am sure.  I ran out of steam through not keeping my head and stopping for my jelly babies from Hash at 17. I even took two boxes to the expo in my car and forgot to take them in and having paid a £5 for parking had no time when I got back to the car to take them in. Brain goes to jelly on marathon day I guess. Will try harder next time.

I have just got up to make a coffee and struggling with movement after three hours sat down!!! It was worth it. Did you see me on the tv next to the guy in pink being interviewed by the BBC on the highlights show, I was listening to the interview running next to him..............I had a black cap on, black shorts and blue vest......I didn't look too good staggering abit, terrible posture.....

• Options

Does anyone know how Emma from Lucozade got on?

I saw Liz at the last lucozade stop and got a lovely hello from her!

I also passed Richard Branson in his butterfly costume early on - was very tempted to tell him I got home just in time but no thanks to Virgin!!!

I'm tired!!!!!!!!!

• Options

I passed Branson just before Mudchute.  I could hear all these people shouting out go Richard and could see his butterfly wings but didn't put two and two together till I was along side him. 

I'm being really lazy and I'm still in bad watching yesterdays coverage that I sky+.  Apart from when I had to run down the stairs cause the post man was a the door with a parcel.  Wasn't even for me. 

• Options

Hi all, appointment booked for the nurse later to get the blister checked out, apart from that I feel ok.

So the day, really I stuck to my plan and ran out of energy at around mile 23, the garmin showed 26.65 miles but the course will be accurate that will be avoiding slower runners. My pace for the first 21 miles was always between 9.43 and 9.55 perhaps a little fast, my legs however felt 100% and the first 10 miles felt fairly relaxed, in fact up to 21 things were fine, around 22 I had that tired feeling of old and was really light headed. so I slowed up which was probably my saving, those crowds were so noisy, now really I am a fairly private person believe it ofr not who doesn't like crowds, I would say looking back parts of that course I felt intimidated, I was shocked at the amount of noise and people round the whole 26.2 miles, however at the end of the day I ran out of steam, those last 800 metres were like 8 miles image

However I now know what to expect, I am so thrilled to have joined in the sub 4.30 thread and achieved it on what was apparently a fairly testing day, I was gutted to miss the support group, I thought it was just me but I was at least not alone, and gutted to miss you all at chandos, Hash give me a shout and I'll come and buy YOU a beer this week promise!

I am in the middle of a days graft and have to nip out now but well done to all, Pip you will have your day again.

How did Rio do?

I may post the Garmin results later, one thing I noticed was a higher than normal heart rate for that pace! Catch you all later

• Options

I have to confess to seeing the caterpillar but completely missing the butterfly!  Mind you I'm not that hot on celeb spotting, did notice Nadia Sawalha but then she was walking and waving at us at the time.

No matter how yesterday went you all have the experience in whatever form to look back on.  It's been lovely having the thread and to join some of you to train as well.  I have to confess that although I was really excited to be supporting once I was on the train home, sat among people in red t-shirts (not a techy one I note) and listening to them talk (some of it sounded lile bullsh1t I must say) I realised that what I really wanted was to be wearing that medal as well.  Fingers crossed for next year eh?

• Options

Good for you Suze- rest up!

I got a shock when I tried to go to the toilet in the night- never have I felt such fatigue in my legs!

Feel better today though- slept for 9 hours and am working from home today (couldn't face the twenty min walk to get to the tube!). Rod- you're a trooper for being up and about on your feet today.

Well done on the time- you did great splits.

One thing that really struck me about yesterday was how the right fuelling really did help. Thanks to Emma for drumming it into us for the past few months. I have a REAL problem with the concept of gels (calories in a tube?!?!) and eating lots of carbs generally, but fuelled up the day before and had 4 Torq gels on the course, one Lucozade one and a fair amount of Lucozade sport.

I powered through my last 6 miles with 9:50 splits, and they felt great. This is probably because my knee has me doing 10:45-11:10 splits for most of the course so I had plenty left in the tank, but it was nice not to want to collapse at the end of it!

When I was getting ready to go yesterday morning I realised just how much you all have helped me prepare for this marathon- I think I'd have been bloody clueless without all the wonderful advice on here image And all the support through times of injury x x x x 

• Options

Windy on the FLM Virgin thread kindly did this for me...

START TIME              09:54:27          SPLITS           AV. Min/Mile

5K                                00:32:26          00:32:26          00:10:26

10K                              01:04:13          00:31:47          00:10:14

15K                              01:36:29          00:32:16          00:10:23

20K                              02:09:05          00:32:36          00:10:30

25K                              02:40:58          00:31:53          00:10:16

30K                              03:12:59          00:32:01          00:10:18

35K                              03:45:59          00:33:00          00:10:37

40K                              04:17:40          00:31:41          00:10:12

42.195                         04:31:23          00:13:43          00:10:03

1st HALF         02:15:53

2nd HALF        02:15:30

Quite pleased how evenly paced I was!

Not sure if I mentioned before, but I was really surprised how much more crowded it was this year and I could have gone faster in the first half of the race but was held back by the crowd - I had been aiming for 10mm pace but looking at my Garmin lap splits I only achieved that on a couple of miles.  Although blue start was quieter and quicker to get over the line and I saw less fancy dress runners it was still really congested and a couple of times came to a standstill.

• Options

Hi all image

Well done to everyone image What a brilliant lot you are! I have tried to read through you reports but am now struggling to remember who did what!!! Rod - sub 4.30 brill! Pinks 4.31fantastic! Mark 4.35 brill! Infact everyone amazing and your memories of the day, special too image

Pip- hope you are feeling better, sounds like you could be coming down with a virus. Take care xxx

Toe nail stories.......image

Hashette wrote (see)

(((((Relaxed)))), ((((((Pinks))))), I held it together pretty well today all in all, but I have to admit lost it completely after both of you had gone through.  Happy tears though.  So proud of you Relaxed, and so good to see you home and running your way to a storming time, Pinks

Hash you will never know how much that hug was needed! Thank you sooo much image And Sparkly too who also got a sweaty hug whether wanted or not!!!image
    I was running well and on target for 14miles, then I got cramp in both my calves image Never had a problem with cramp before and just thought "stretch as you run and it will go and you'll be OK" It went and I thought that was it......how wrong was I!!!! It came again and again and again........ By mile 15 I realised that this was going to continue all the way round and got upset, tried to phone my daughter and friend who were supporting but network was too busy. Hit mile 16 and by then , although I had accepted that my target had well and truly gone, I desperately needed a hug! Get to 17 I kept saying, get to 17. Get a hug and carry on! So you kept me going to mile 17, then you must have thought "this woman is mad" as I shouted you and grabbed hold .......and also broke down and sobbed!!! But I did feel better for it and set off again with renewed strength! Mile 18-19 wern't too bad, about 3 bouts of cramp in the calves.... then I got it in a new place, just above the knee, slightly on the inside of the leg. And again in both legs. Walked that off ran again...cramp in calves, walked that off ran again.....cramp just above knees, walked that off....... and so it continued for the rest of the journey! I managed to get daughter and friend on phone just before mile 22, broke down  and sobbed again and told them I just wanted to go home! Pulled myself together. Got to mile 24.5 and saw them, got more hugs and strength to finish! How good did I feel crossing that line?????!!!!!!!!! Unofficial time 4.45. So after all that I'm not even disappointed with the time either image

So thank you thank you thank you Hash and Sparkly, you really did get me through my lowest ebbimage

Despite all that I did have a wonderful day, the crowds were just fantastic and the encouragement they gave was inspiring image

Many Thanks and Well done all image

• Options

forgot to say earlier I may be a bloke but i was so wacked at the end I saw the medics, half an hour in there a mars bar some water and some horrid crisps and I felt better, 8 gels and my tank was still empty I reckon.

pinks those splits are the best most even I have ever seen! image

• Options

I think we are all amazing!!!!

Especially our suport crew Hash and SB!!!! imageimageimage

Pip hope you are feeling better and big big thankyou for my cheque!!

Suze- thank you so much for running that first mile (well most of it) before my bladder demand me to stop 800m in- maybe it wans't in my mind after all!!!

Big thank yous to everyone on here for the last 16 or odd weeks- same place same time next year?

• Options
    WELLL DONE TEAM Excellent and good to me Vik and a few others yesterday....image
  • Options

Afternoon all image

Well done to everyone.  That was a really tough run and Sezz I agree that those hills were not there in previous years!!!

I was having a good run up until mile 14 when a woman behind me fell into me and gave me a rather hard shove in the back which made me lurch a bit and jar my knee and my back.  So it was all a bit of hurt after that.   Managed a smile at mile 17 and thanks to Hash for the big hug.  It was very welcome.

By mile 18 I was starting to suffer and I was on count down to mile 25/26 where I knew my mum and dad were.  Managed to keep just ahead of RB until Blackfriars then he overtook me and I knew I wouldn't get that time back.  Saw my parents which was great and tried to manage a smile and a quick hello but didn't dare stop moving or I didn't think I would start again.

At least then I knew I had less than a mile to go so staggered on still running - all I kept thinking was "Don't think just keep moving forward, every step is one less!"  Missed G at 600m to go.  Then one poor guy alongside me collapsed with his hamstring at 400 to go.  Was in a quandry as to whether to stop and help but shouted for the medics and carried on.  Saw RB just ahead of me at the finish and then I was there too.  Official time 4:59:22.  Not the time I wanted but relieved to have finished.

A bit achey today in my upper back and my right knee but otherwise ok and feel I could do a little run.

Thanks to Alice (from RW) for her company in the early miles - hope you did ok

Was good to see a few at Chandos.  Thanks for the chat Hash!!  You are a complete star.  I am looking forward to the possibility of Bedford Half now too.

Right on with the HIM traininig! image

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Rio - well done. Maybe not the time you planned for but you didnt plan for a big shove (i hope she is feeling guilty, am sure she is - i would).  Also... you made it to the finish and got a medal - am very envious of that.

I honestly hope none of you ever have to go through the misery of dropping out and having to head to the finish to get your bag.  A couple of people I know have also been through this and we all confirm that its pure misery.

I might have a look for Bedford half and see.... **2mins later** when is this? i cant find any details on it on RW or google? 

Good luck with the HIM.  Which one are you doing?

• Options

Rio that was a fab report and given what happened a super result.

Would be fantastic if everyone did Bedford half - Rio if you and G need a place to stay let me know - same applies to any of the rest of you.  That would be a good one for a sub 2hr half - if I can do it so can you!image

• Options

Pip I really feel for you.   But sometimes it is not meant to be.  Better to live to fight another day and you weren't the only one who didn't make it!  Small consolation I know

I am doing Bala in 6 weeks.

I might take you up on the offer Pinks - will let you know.

Oh and my garmin said I ran 26.99 miles so that would account for the extra minutes image

• Options

What a fantastic day ... it really lived up to everything I've been told about it. The atmosphere was fab and it was so good to see you at mile 17 ... I was determined to find you... it was funny as I walked up (oops ran) to the barrier... you were there ... then you disappeared ...I was all squiffed ... thought I was seeing things ... then you popped up with a bag of goodies for me! Thanks for the hug it was so appreciated. Sadly, my hips and feet just couldn't take the pounding and although I stopped at mile 20 (ish) to change my socks and hug the family (and rub Ibuprofen into my feet!) I was just going slower and slower. But hey ...after the injuries and illness, didn't even think I was going to make it at all so I just decided that I wasn't really going for a time ... didn't even wear a watch ...so I should be grateful and I finished 5hrs 30m - not bad considering.  Something awful happened to my hip/leg and almost gave way at the last hurdle (well, mile24!) but the crowds keep you going (hobbling). I personally thought the last 3 miles went on forever - just couldn't wait to turn the last bend to the finish.. Well done to everyone who was there, no matter how it ended ... you were there - I so feel for you Pip. It was a fabulous experience and thanks Hash for all your support. Great stuff - we must go for another run again soon (but not too soon!). Hugs.

• Options
    hash that was lovely! And I will always think of you when I reach for my cup of twinings especially first thing aka silly o'clock in the morning when I can't sleep! Though new bed arrives in a week so I'm hoping that may cure things!

Although I didn't reach my erect target time today I was pretty damn close and fulfilled my other goal of running the whole way. I don't think I could have tried any harder or had a more perfect training schedule that I have followed almost religiously.........and yes I did feel I was lucky and despite the horrendous last week and everything that went so wrong with the holiday today was my day. It's taken 4 years to get here and all I can say to those who didn't have 'their' day is that it will come and it will happen and many of you will be back again next year and do remember that the fun is in trying, don't give up and don't lose heart, the journey is the most enjoyable part and should be savored! You are all such lovely lovely people I feel totally honored to have you as my friends............oh I do love running!!! And that's what this is all about! Xxx

Oops this is the post from yesterday that I forgot to actually 'submit' !!
  • Options
    um I feel a bit lost - got home from work and automatically reached for my schedule.....except it's finished and the race run and now I don't know what to do! What is everyone going to do now??

When can I run? I'm not that keen on races really and much prefer the training/following the schedule?

Rod, I meant to say earlier that I agree with you about the noise of the crowd and intensity/ intrusiveness of the whole event. I'm sure the crowd were louder in parts than previous years especially around canary wharf and if I did do London again I would put ear plugs in or my headphones without music on for the most part. I didn't even put my music on until the last 5 miles and then had a great little motivating playlist for the last 10k which worked a treat!
  • Options

Pinks - your pacing was amazing.

Studying my garmin data I had a mini wobble at mile 18, put that down to dropping a cream egg from my belt which really flustrated me. Also struggled between miles 21 & 24.  My pace after that speeded up because I knew my family were at mile 25 and then the end was in sight.

I have managed to walk to our tesco local on the estate this afternoon just to give the legs a stretch.  Now I just need to sort my poor toes out - think there are more nails to be shedimage

I hope everyone else is feeling ok today. Just polishing my medal to take into work tomorrow.image