Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• Options
    lol - it could be the red wine
  • Options

Hi everyone

Just think we will have our Sundays back after next week!

Did 10miles today...hope this tapering thing works as otherwise I'm stuffed.  Felt quite laboured and it seemed to go on for hoooooours!!!  Knee felt ok but just felt almost unfit! I took Steve's advice (sort of) and ran a few miles quicker than others but as soon as I picked up the speed it felt like hard work. 

It was quite hot today so hoping the heat was the issue!

Anyways....take care everyone

GB - red wine always makes things better! ALthough white or rose is my preferred tipple!!

• Options

I'm not sure red wine makes everything  better - stick to the body fuel until you at least finish the race.

The taper doesn't fully work until next Sunday when you will be bursting with energy and excitement but you will still (must) run a controlled first half!

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Ouch EP! At least it wasn't in your foot!

• Options

Did the Darent 10k yesterday and, even though it started at 8.30 it was still hot - still couldn't get in under 60 mins, mind you, this isn't the time to be going for a 10k pb is it??

Am starting to feel excited/nervous about next week - again hope the ankle holds up (am sure it will) but, like Jaime, feeling pretty unfit as I was tired after the 10k!  Think it will finally hit home when I go to Excel on Wednesday and am looking forward to wearing a shoe that doesn't lace up and has a heel image.

Keep up the good work (or rest, more to the point) and keep safe for the next few days.

• Options

Hi,

I did 6 miles this weekend, 3 with my daughter 12 min miles (she is going to do a race for life at the begining fo June)and 3 on my own at 10 min miles.  Felt ok and my calf felt much better.

I was thinking two more runs Tues and Thursday, each about 2 - 3 miles.  But listening you all of you, I am wondering whether to drop the Thursday run.  Anybody running on Thursday or is this completely wrong.

Am resting today and find I can't think about much else at the moment.  I think I am going to write a list of stuff that I need for kit bag.  Anything that anyone has taken that has been really useful, that is a bit unusual, I am planning to pack food and money clothes that I will wear to Greenwich, to put in my bag and then wear home again.  But I can't really think of much else.

C

• Options

Cslip I have not done it before but am planning to take sun tan lotion - wouldn't want sunburn on top of every other ache I will, undoubtedly, have.

• Options

Just walked about 4 miles I usually walk a lot so assume I shouldn't stop becasue of the taper!

Going to beginners tomorrow which is usually about 3/4 slow miles then will do 2 or about 20 mins on Thursday.

Getting excited now. Worried that my daughter who is flying over from Dublin now may not be able to make it but out of my hands.

I practised wearing a hat on Sunday to keep the sun of my eyes and face.

• Options

Flo Po, Mitiog.  I'm with you entirely.  My 1st marathon too, and thanks to training I know what to expect up to 20 miles, but I'm dreading the last 6. I just can't imagine what it's going to be like.  My intention to start off at a nice and slow pace and keep it even, but what if it'sstill too fast....image

However I did 8 miles at MP yesterday and nothing ached or twanged, and my legs felt noticeably fresher.  Hope Steve is right about it being even better next week.

Doing 4 miles easy tomorrow with a few HP pace intervals, and then a nice easy 3 on Wednesday with a massage Thurs morning.  Then hopefully all set.

Getting excited / nervous / frightened now (delete as appropriate!)

EP, a very sobering thought.  More than ever I'll keep it easy at the start now.

• Options
    EP no 17:18s this year but also no sub 10:50 average for first 4 miles
  • Options

Hi EP - just popping over from Lucy's thread.  Your report was brilliant.  Have read it several times now.  The first 'real' marathon report that I have come across.  Feel as though I have just done the 26.74 miles with you.  Will be sure to take it easy on Sunday.

Have had to change my travel plans from Northern Ireland and am now undertaking a 16 hour  ferry and coach journey to London.  Someone on the other thread advised me to wear flight socks for the coach which I will do, but if anyone on here has any further advice for me please let me know.  

Good luck everyone - can't wait until Sunday!

Mags

• Options

Hello everyone!  Pix - you won't be running like that this year!  You will be setting a PB image

My muscle tendonitis seems to have settled, thankfully.  I have my final physio appointment tomorrow.  I went for a run (short 2 miles) this morning, and during those 2 miles virtually every part of my legs and feet hurt!!  Nothing serious - I realised that - in fact, I am sure some of it/most of it was in my head!  I decided there was no way my calf/shin/hamstring/left toe could all suddenly be injured at the same time.  So I continued to gently and slowly run...and eventually all the pains disappeared!

I have bought my jelly babies to bring to the Expo - didn't trust myself with so many jelly babies in the house before now image

• Options

Thanks for that lesson EP you still did a fab PB though! How many have you done EP?

Margaret good luck with your travel plans my daughter is also contemplating a ferry and bus from Dublin.

Glad your ok TH.

• Options

EP - fab report...very emotional. My first FLm experience in 2008 was very similar.

I am planning anout 3 miles tomorrow then maybe 2 ish on Thursday before ouchy man..what do you all think?

• Options

Great report EP - the last miles were very interesting as no idea what to expect!

Went to the docs today - and she was great! She's done London twice and had to drop out this year due to injury but wishes she was doing it. She's had ITB problems before so said after the marathon to come back and she will help me sort it outl. She knew I was going to run it whatever she said so would do anything to help.

She gave me a steroid injection - the needle didn't hurt but slowly since about a couple of hours after its gone from being achey to being sore. She said the steroids will kick in about Friday. She also prescribed me with some extra strong painkillers for some extra help - Boots didn't have any in so they ordered them for me to pick up tomorrow. Sounds like I'll be so high on the day I won't feel anything - ha ha!

Am now feeling more positive that hopefully won't be in too much pain although going to take it easy as know the injecion will probably mask the pain.

• Options

Flo Po - A few people I know are getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then train to Chester and then Chester to London.  Has she considered that?  That was my plan C if I didn't manage to get a place on the Belfast ferry/coach today.  I hope she gets over, by whatever means as it will be a great boost for you.

Mags

• Options

Good luck to everyone this week.

I must be getting the marathon bug - not done my 1st one yet and just entered the ballot for London 2011 thanks to the email thoses nice people at VLM sent me!  Apparently if you have been rejected twice or more you can now get a priority ballot place - nice!

• Options

Question for Steve please.

I know I won't have much control over the first couple of miles speed wise but is it best to try for an even marathon pace? I have printed off a pace band for 4.55 ( optimistic I know) and it is 11.15mm should I set off at that pace and try to hold on or should I start a bit slower hoping to get faster?

EP I am quite happy for it to drag a bit looking forward to the expo and pampering myself this week.

Not looking good for my daughter coming over on Friday which is a great disappointment.

• Options

Hello fellow taperers,

Phew not long to go now!  And the Expo opens tomorrow...

I've had a busy few days (no running though!) as my sister got married down in Somerset, it was absolutely brilliant but feel absolutely exhausted!  Going to do a little 2 mile plod in a bit though.

Pixie Kim - I loved your race report!   I actually think you did brilliantly to finish in 5:49 given your speedy PBs in the first half of it! 

Mags - good luck with your journey.  That volcano has such rotten timing, my poor sis had to postpone her honeymoon to the Seychelles.  Hope you manage to keep hydrated on your journey - esp if the coach is air conditioned.

xx

• Options
    Well said CJ I was thinking of Mags too. Hope you have a peasant journey and at least you have good weather for the unplanned trip.
  • Options

sorry i didn;t get the recipies up here just ran out of time.  Unfortunately my mum is back in hospital they thought she was having a heart attack but it turns out she has a lung infection but her heart function is so poor (its only working at 15% capacity) that any infection has an adverse effect.  Anyway she is a lot brighter now but will be infor a few days, she is so disappointed that she will not make it to support us in the marathon!

In terms of running I did 6.6 hilly on sunday and am just doing a slow 3 tomorrow.  I feel so fat I got weighed after my run on sunday and was a couple of pounds heavier than normal so god knows what this week is doing to me.  Since easter I have not stopped eating especially chocolate!  Roll on the weight loss thread.

If I can;t fly out to turkey the day after the marathon i will start my diet!

• Options

Hello all

ALso not getting much work done this week!

EP - hope your run goes well.

Sarah - sorry to hear about your Mum...hope she feels better today? My Father has very poor heart function, we nearly lost him last year, so keep a close eye on him and worry about him catching cold and other lurgies.

I may try to get on a earlier train to London on Friday...possible 8.28 from Swansea...depends if I can change my ticket. By the time I get to my hotel in Paddington to deposit my case and then to Expo...will be ready for my pasta!