Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• Options

Sarah - hope your mum gets better soon - I'm sure she will be with you in spirit and I'm sure she will be very proud of you when you show her your medal

VERY busy week for me - started my new job yesterday, well old job sort of! (Gone back to work in previous school!) Really glad to be back but instead of a 6 mile round trip its now just under 60.  So need to get used to the travelling.

Dont think I'm going to run this week

1.  OH away tonight and wont be back until late tom .Mum is arriving from Wales on Thursday so wont run then and Expo on Friday

2.  Need to get used to my longer working day

3.  I have a few twinges and I'm sure they are this taper madness thing that seems to be going round at the moment (!) I'  dont want them to become a reality.  I also dont want to go to see anyone incase they say it is something then i will be worrying about it on Sunday

Anyways....enjoy the Expo anyone going tom?  (Was going to go with my friend but she is still in Florida - unlikely she is going to make it home in time....

• Options

Fingers crossed for your mum Sarah - lots of positive thoughts.

Well done on the run EP. I haven't been out this week - done lots of walking but wasn't allowed to run yesterday because of the steroid injection and my hips still a bit achey after it today. Picked up my prescription painkillers today so now know have done everything possible to get me round.

Have had quite a calm non-panic day today although tomorrow is my last day at work before the day so will probably start panicking tomorrow night. Am a bit worried about the heat as haven't really run in it for a while - but will just have to make sure I keep drinking!

• Options

Sorry to crash in, hope you don't mind Pix

Text from Pinks who's stranded in America, she's being interviewed at 10.30pm UK time.  I'm assuming that's The World Tonight on Radio 4 but have asked for confirmation.  Will post if I hear more.  I've said we're all listening.   This is the one and only time I'll deliberately duplicate on loads of threads, but this is important and I can't imagine how she's feeling right now, other than possibly in bits.  She's had a perfect training period, is about the only person I know who has had no injury of any description, and if she can get here will storm VLM.  It's not not not NOT  fair.

• Options

Oh Hashette (pinks) that just sucks.

Sarah sending love to your mum.

Priscilla you are gonna be high as a kite - you are gonna fly around of that i am sure.

EP - loving your 2008 memory - and its all been noted.  I am also a list person - i have a huge a4 piece of paper of what i need to take / whats packed already / whats not packed yet....etc etc!  Honestly its huge!

Didn't run today - was supposed to this morning but my right knee had a twinge, now my knee always twinges and i would of gone out without a second thought if it wasn't a few days before the marathon - but thought no don't want to risk it....but now i am feeling fat and unfit.....help!

• Options

EP

Great session - shows the speed is there and waiting to be released on Sunday!

Flo Po - I'll give advice even though you wished someone a peasant journey!

In terms of pace, I think it is best to nail it as soon as possible. In an ideal world you would run a faster second half but hardly anyone ever does and London is so crowded that you can't always run as fast as you want or have a clear run. So once you get clear of the rush just settle into the sub 5 pace as evenly and relaxed and possible and hold it all the way to the fnish!

• Options

Morning all

EP - well doen on your session yesterday. You are very well prepared.

Priscilla - sounds like you have done all you can..I hope you really enjoy the day.

Beanie - don't worry. I think we all feel unfit and fat in taper time.

I ran just over 3 miles yesterday. I didn't do the speedwork as per plan but did a couple of short bursts. Knee was okay but is a bit ssore today. I'm not going to run again until Sunday. If it looks like being a hot day on SUnday, I am going to carry my doughnut bottle and fill up on route. I am thinking of strapping my knee with tubigrip to give some support ...I haven't tried this in training at all but it might help...what do you all think?

• Options

Morning

MWW definitely what Pix said, don't use a support, you might do more harm than good.  Obviously your knee problem might be different from mine, but my fizz said not to even wear tight leggings so that there's nothing stopping the kneecap from gliding in its groove the way it needs to

• Options

I wear a knee support - but have been through out - on the long runs when i get fed up with it - or my knee feels like it stiffens a bit i just roll it down - but thats just me!

I gave myself a talking too this morning.....my last run was only three days ago - but yesterday it felt like i haven't run for weeks - get real beanie lol!!!!!

Have you seen the weather guys?  Its not looking good its looking rather warm (they are talking 20 degrees - hotter than last weekend - eeekkkkk!)  Note to brain - drink more then i normally would - oh and take a cap!

• Options

Thanks Steve will try to settle in to the correct pace and hope for the best.

I practiced with a hat on Sunday last thing we need is sun stroke. I am not very good in the heat......

Ran with the beginners last night and felt pretty good.... My only problem is tight shins I think from too much walking but going for a sports massage today so hopefully she will sort them out.

Imaging pulling out with a walking injury no one would believe me..........

Just read back Steve as didn't get it penny dropped mind you it probably will be more peasant than pleasant.

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Steve,

This even-pacing stuff sounds great but I seriously doubt that I'll be able to keep on the same pace for all 26.2 miles! Is slowing down inevitable for us mere mortals? From the stats I've seen in RW it seems that almost everyone slows down. I just don't think I'm going to be able to stay on-pace for the whole way. Is it worth planning for slowing in my pacing? I don't reckon I'll get anywhere near a sub-5 so how about planning to do the first 20 at say 11:30 pace and then the last 10K at about 13:00 pace? Or is it better to run the whole lot at 12:00 pace? Everyone I've ever spoken to about a marathon always says they slow at the end so while the even pacing all the way strategy sounds good in principle, in practise, does anyone actually achieve it?

Sorry for sounding negative - it's just I've never done this before and I still can't get my head round the demands of the distance. Plus people say that 20 miles is the first half of the race and I'm pretty scared about the second "half".

Thanks,

mitiog
  • Options

Have just spoken to my mum and they are letting her out today which is a massive relief.  Have just done a slow 3 miler it felt strange I feel like I haven;t ran for 3 years.  My last long run was good friday so that was 3 weeks ago.  Lets hope the weather oes not go up to the 21C it is forecasting I found it far too hot last year and did not enjoy the run one bit.  If it is that hot I will aim to get round and not think about time.

anyone else going to the expo tonight?

I just want to get on with it now

• Options

Glad your mum is ok Sarah I am going to the expo tomorrow!

Mitiog exactly what time do you want because sub 5 is about 11.26 a mile.

I have printed  a 4.55 pace band which is 11.15  hoping to stay around the 11 mm and hoping that will give me a bit of room for damage control.

As it is a first though huge learning curve so not going to beat myself up if it doesn't go to plan.

• Options

mitiog - i'm with you on the pacing thing. For me, if i run 10mm or 12mm i ALWAYS get tired around the 10 to 13m mark. Then I slow down to around 12 or 13mm and it turns into a stagger rather than a run. It seems that my body can run to a certain point then has to slow down whether i run at 10mm or slower.

It might be just me, but the last race i ran (the kilomathon) i paced myself right from the start at 11mm, and when i hit the 20km mark, i was knackered and physically had to slow down....

sarah - glad they are letting your mum out. my last long run (the dreaded 20m) was also good friday. and in relation to my point above, i didnt take a watch out with me, i just ran my 20m and did it in a reasonable 3hours 40 mins. I might yet use the same 'dont look' strategy on sunday yet, as i know and feel my desired pace

• Options
    3.40 is great time for 20 miler mine is about 4 hour mark.  I am going to take it very very easy on sunday Iwas going for 11 min miles but am revising that to 11.30 to 12 given the temp.  Most of all I want to enjoy
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Sarah - great news on your Mum image I think I'll be joining you in the 11:30-12:00 slot...was going for 11:20 but if it's hot.

Is anyone here on blue start and do you want to meet up at the start?
  • Options
    sorry am on red my hubby is on the blue start its good being on different starts we only argue when i get nervous and stressy! in 2006 I was on blue and he was on red - its fate!
  • Options
    Me I am blue 24646 see you there will have to write down numbers and look out for them!
  • Options

I'm on the red start (48050, wearing St John Ambulance vest and possibly a green Hawaiian garland!).

I have a question.... what time is everyone planning to arrive at the start? 

I know the race starts at 9.45 and I need to allow 15-20 mins to get from the station to the start but what time should I aim to arrive to be able to drop my bag off and go the the loo?   I can't seem to find any advice on this and don't want to end up rushing!!

xx

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Cheers Flo Po - I'm 9475 image
  • Options

I am red start, 41194, orange Leukaemia Care vest image

Jess - I am likely to be there at around 0800.  It's a great atmosphere, and you will need time to compose yourself, hand in your bag, go to the loo, rejoin the loo queue, and then rejoin the loo queue!  When I did FLM in 2007 (hottest on record so far), it took about 30 mins to reach the front of the loo queue!

That's just me, though - I like to be early and soak up the atmosphere, and make sure I have been to the loo several times image

• Options

Thanks TH.  Oh my goodness 30 mins to queue for the loo!!!  

Did you eat breakfast before you left home/ hotel then?  I'm used to having my bowl of porridge an hour before I run so this could prove tricky!  I guess I'll need to take some snacks along.

Eek, saw forecast of 22'C for Sunday... just added factor 50 to my shopping list!

• Options
    Well, Sunday is going to be hard.  I usually eat about 1 1/2 hours before my run.  On Sunday I have to leave home at 0530, so will be eating my porridge at around 5am - approx 5 hours before race start!  I shall be taking bananas and flap jack with me, and eating those a few hours before the start.
  • Options
    Oh goodness!  Mind you flapjack and bananas sound good... and I might take a couple of those Lucozade energy bars too
  • Options

Oh CRAP, help, please please tell me this is normal.....

So off i went for my last run before the big day, 3miles.....i couldn't even manage 2!  I felt heavy, stumpy, flat footed and negative.......oh plop - is this normal.......this isn't how i wanted to end the whole training experience - should i try for another run tomorrow?  Help!

• Options

Beanie you will be fine. If it was your last one just leave it. One mile short isn't going to be the make or break of your day.image

It will probably be the 22 degrees they are now forecasting. Think I will sue the long range forecast who said it was going to be 12 and cloudy.

• Options

Beanie - no, don't go for another run.  Think instead of all the miles that you have run since the start of January.  Think back to the 14, 16, 18 and 20 mile runs that you did successfully.

Taper is a funny thing - it does strange things to our heads and bodies.  In the past few days I have had aches and pains in my hamstrings, calves, shins, knees - and even my big toe!  I am obsessively swallowing to check I do not have a sore throat, which is the first sign of a cold!  Everywhere I turn, people are coughing and sneezing.  This probably happens all the time and I am never aware of it...but it is just exaggerated at the moment!

Don't worry - you will be absolutely fine on Sunday!!!