Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Zion, sorry to hear your news your in our thoughts x.

56 x 25 m front crawl yesterday today 8.59 miles Tempo with warm up and cool down. 7:57 6:37 6:40 6:23 6:22 6:37 7:00 7:43 4:12image Happy with that.

Unable to join in the fun regarding the LSR, I think what has been said by Gobi and Joe is fine for people who are starting out however I feel that you must train both the body and mind to run at the pace you want to race at on the big day. This shouldbe attemped  towards the last few miles of the long run.

Example if you intend on racing 26.2 miles @ 7:00 pace do your long run at 8:00 to 8:30 pace but pick the pace up in the last 5/6 miles to 7:00 pace. This will mean that on the day you know that you can run at 7:00 pace from 15 mile plus. If you don't do this you will find it very difficult to overcome yourself telling you, you cant do this you havn't done it before. Don't do this every long run but every 2nd or 3rd long run. Taking into account all your training and a good taper I still think it's a massive ask to increase your speed for 26.2 miles if you havn't attempted it in part in your training.

Fiona great milage on the treadmill and a nice long run, the plan needs me to be running 70 miles aweek at the start which is a third more than last year at this stage but feeling very good at this stageimage.

• Options
    Freemers - it's not food for thought, it's the rules image

NP - I have started doing the first 3/4 of my long runs really slow and the last 1/4 at marathon pace. As you say, hopefully that will help the big slow down after mile 20.

JCM - I guess heart rate is the way to go if you're adding mountains into the mix. I think the rule was to keep it under 75%.
  • Options
    VLM 2011 Training (18 week programme)- Day 2:

Cough is now worse and moving into nose as well. Drinking Lemsip.
  • Options
    Get well soon mr spoons.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - phases of training sir

I am no way am saying you should never run fast in a long but most people see the run you are talking about and start there bypassing the actual base part of the long run.

My early season long runs start at MP + 2 mins

My serious sessions have 4/6 mile chunks at MP in them usual 2 sections.
  • Options

Gobi, Agree with the phases of training, I also think that people and I include my self in this when they first take on the marathon jump stright into a 12 week plan without building a big enough base. Thats why rather than 18 weeks P&D mine is 24 weeks, building the miles and number of sessions in the six weeks before starting a plan.

Looking back on last year my first 18 mile run was on the 27th Dec, so about 10 days infront of last years plan  also 20miles up on the week. image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Sounds like I need to move up a bit on the 'out of action bench'.  Lemsip, a wee dram & warm bed work very well for me at bedtime.  Hope the lurgy clears soon.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    For my comeback marathon my first 20 miler was 6 weeks before the race having done a weekly 10 miler for about 6 months. I am all for base but see no reason to run for more than 2 hours until far further into the training schedule.

I know this winter has been different and I have carried on running marathons as part of an extended ultra marathon base period but a normal year would see me doing no long runs at all between September - December.
  • Options

Gobi - 2 hours at your pace will cover further ground than me, so is it time or distance that is important right now for the long runs? So, if I do the right thing and slow down, should I run 15 miles in a slower time (say 2:20), or 2 hours at a slower pace (which would end up at around 13 miles)?

• Options
    Wow, busy busy on here!  And geeky imageJason and NP: well done on your long runs.Zion: excellent result in a tough race. And you had fun too. I am very sorry to read about your mum. Take care and come back when you feel like it. Spoons: I get eczma from chlorine - so I have to stay away from pools. And I'll never find out if swimming would help with the asthma image. But as swim like a brick it's probably better this way. Hope your cough clears quickly.

USB: Sunday was a rubbish day for racing for a lot of us, as it seems. Like you say, better than a boring slog on on your own. And it's all miles in the bank.

I'm always confused about the LSR stuff too but if I run at planned MP plus 90 secs I usually end up with a HR which is below the recovery zone. That can't be right? I usually train by HR and keep my long runs around the 70% mark, give or take a few %.

8 miles done in yet more snow today. It was like running on sand! All good training though and running at lunchtime meant running in daylight. Nice.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Freemers - during my winter period it is just about keeping myself ticking over while allowing the body to recover from a heavy year, the first month I don't run over 90 minutes. I put the cap quite simply at 2hrs. Sometimes in that period I will run 14 miles and sometimes I will run 18 miles. Usually I will run somewhere between the two but never less or more :¬)
  • Options

*stands well back and throws Mr Spoons a box of tissues*

I'm heading out in a few minutes to christen my new shoes.  £32 from eBay image

• Options

USB- where do i vote for you???? Think you met a friend and work colleague of mine in Birmingham- Andrea- she mentioned a Bridget...

9m for me tonight with 4m tempo in the middle- felt harder than usual after Sunday's exuberance, but ok. splits: 8.19, 8.21, 8.03, 6.44, 6.36, 6.37, 6.38, 8.07, 8.29image

Gobi- was figuring that as I can't fit in the same volume at this time of year that I could (and will) do in the spring/summer, that I could compensate to some extent by pushing the tempo runs and last few miles of the LRs a bit harder- what do you think?

I love the geeky stuff and am always ready to listen and learnimageimage 

• Options

Mr Spoons- hope you're feeling better- or at least runningimage

Bridget- found the voting bit and added my supportimage

Night all- image

• Options
    HY4 - I have ignored your advice. I can't stand all this sitting about moaning and sniffing so I dragged myself out to running club instead! 5.5 mile hill session. I will wake up tomorrow either completely cured or with proper flu that lasts a month. We will see....
  • Options

I think I was the only Bridget there jason so it must have been me.  Thanks for the vote image

Speedwork tonight went much better than last week 4 x 1K of which 3 were around good 10K pace, 2 x 500m which were nicely under 5K PB pace and then 2 x 200m with the last one nearly getting down to 7 mm pace.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chicka - while building the aerobic engine the HR can be low - thanks to good base I can run at sub 7 min mile pace for under 70% HR and I am damn sure I would not want to run everywhere at 6.50 pace.

My Zone 1 training area is under 60% HR and I often run here, I like it :¬)

Jason - No is the simple answer. Winter is a time to recoperate and build a healthy base with a more relaxed training approach.

You have to ask yourself what you are trying to hold onto at this point and why? I often have discussions with new athletes(adult men aged between 25 - 50) who are worried that if they back off the training they will lose speed through the winter so they insist on hammering it out doing everything at 75% or more and will not see the value of base. They do indeed stay at the front through the winter but the runners who back off and build base make great gains when the hard training starts again as they are more rested and better aerobically prepared for hard work.

The choice is simple

work hard all year and stay about the same maybe improve a little

back off a little bit build some base and by the time the race season really starts you are back where you were at the end of the year before(close enough anyway). Start doing that missing speedwork and make the big gains.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

How are you feeling today?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    12 miles @ just off 8min mile pace for wait for it 56% WHR(according to fetch so I think WHR). In shorts and a tshirt ok though as I wore a hat and gloves.
  • Options

OK, this thread is already convincing me I probably need a few easy weeks at this point - thanks Gobi image. This week I'll stick to my intervals today, just because I enjoy them, but then nothing above easy pace for the rest of the week, and a very slow LSR at the weekend. 

I have a self-inflicted "back off" week next week as I'm in the US for a couple of days. I'll take my kit but don't expect to have time to do more than a treadmill session, if that - so rather than worry about fitting in anything quality I will take Gobi's advice and trust that my hard work and fitness gained through the autumn will not disappear in a week. Ditto my holiday 2nd week January - I'm off to a hilly part of the Cotswolds and won't plan on doing much there on the running front. Once I am back mid-Jan I can ease back up into my marathon plan.

• Options
    Gobi- thanks. Only long runs and a bit of tempo for the next couple of months- and won't be pushing the pace  nowimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Todays word is Trust

Not Trust in what I say

Trust yourself
    Trust your body

The mind is a dangerous thing
    The body is a wonderful thing

Get them working together and you run well.
  • Options
    Feeling better today thanks HY4 and the cough is easing up. Still have a blocked nose though! Yes - I will run tonight.
  • Options

4 miles recovery last night and just over 12 miles this morning at 7:47 pace.

Jason nice tempo run.

Mr Spoons take care, my OH has come down with a cold but I am at work now till Friday night.

USB well done with the speed work.

Gobi still in my hat and gloves here as it's still very cold.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Glad to hear that.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - I had gloves and a hat on :¬)
  • Options

Freemers - my commute is off road (mostly) through parkland and alongside a river, so I can vary by running different paths. More often than not I'm on one of my mountain bikes. If I'm on the road bike I quite often go in (or home) via back lanes and B-Roads and make the distance up to 25 miles image Last nights commute home went via one of the steepest climbs in the area and over the top of Mynydd Henllys, so was 17.5 miles and hard work in places!

Mr S - run will do wonders for clearing your blocked passages. Don't envy your companions though, make sure you're facing away at the opportune times...  

4.11 miles hill repeats yesterday, although I varied it (as I was on my own) and made it an easy paced hilly run without any stops or recovery.

4 miles tempo run today, average 7:10/mile pace.

• Options
    Dead right on the mind being a dangerous thing Gobi. I think that's why we push ourselves and run when injured - the body says no and the mind says just go.
    Chickadee, poor you still running in snow.
    Nice hillwork jaycmoore. Hope last night was on the bike or I'd end up sleeping in the office!
    Heading out soon for a run as snow forecast tomorrow. Hope to get a decent easy pace run. Did 12 miles on Monday but scary moment when a bloke in a pickup came across the road and drove onto a pavement after me - I ran onto the grass to try to get away - shouting 'Go away you bully' (whilst 5:46mm!) did not really do the trick but I was almost at my car so he disappeared but had to go round a roundabout the wrong way! Just a one off so quite relaxed!!
    F
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Blimey.  Glad you're okay after that.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Blimey Fiona, glad you are ok