Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Just a quick post to say I won't be around for awhile. My mother took a turn for the worse this evening so a tricky time ahead.

Take care one and all!

• Options
    Really sorry to hear that Zion.  Please remember to take care of yourself as well as everyone else.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Zion - sorry to hear that.

Out for 10 miles early this morning with James and Mikey, these are the two lads who join me on a Wednesday so impressed that they are now joining me on a Monday as well.
  • Options

Take care Zion.

Great to get outdoors after a week of treadmill running. 17.1 miles on Saturday, planned 16 but still getting used to new routes. An easy 6 miles yesterday.

High mileage NP, sounds like you'll be starting from a higher base than last year?

Chickadee I'm the same as you; no speed at the moment!

HY4 hope you are on the mend.

10 miles on a Monday morning is impressive, is that a 5am start?

F

• Options

Gobi hasn't told me off yet, but as I am new to this thread it is early days yet....actually yesterday's run was too quick so I can tell myself off image- 15 miles in 8.15's. Meant to be around 9mm for my LSRs but I was feeling quite good and the pace ticked along nicely.

Sounds like a weekend of tough races for some of you - USB, I think that's the right attitude when you realise it's not going to be a fast one. Better to switch off from race mode rather than blow up.

Gobi - I am sure with another few pizza-free weeks you'll hit that timeimage

Zion - sorry to hear your news. Take care x

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Zion)))

Thinking of you guys & hope everything turns out okay with your mum.

Fiona,

It's a bit comfortable this morning however I'm getting there slowly.  Can't wait to go back to the hospital next week to see how things are healing.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Freemers - just because it felt right does not make it right.

You are now told off :¬)
  • Options
    Wise words Gobi-wan Kenobi....I will take heed in futureimage. Seriously, there is a real art in slowing down - the pace just feels awkward!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL no art at all just discipline, we ran between 7.45 and 8.30 pace this morning not bad for 3 guys who have run sub 5 min miles

:¬)
  • Options
    Take care Zion - thinking of you

Freemers - I think you're a pretty similar pace to me. Gobi-wan's suggested pace for a 15 mile LSR is around 10m/m. I'll let you have the debate....
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    All I try to do is allow you all to develop a good aerobic system so you can run faster marathons.
  • Options

Mr Spoons - do you do the Norwich Parkruns? I've just registered although I can't make it next Saturday, but quite fancy going along on Christmas Day for it. I generally do 3-4 miles in the morning to set me up for the day, so a quick 5k blast is quite tempting! Probably do New Years Day as well.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Freemers,

Would they still do it on Christmas Day.

• Options
    Lots of them are doing it on Christmas Day.  I am Race Director for NYD
  • Options
    I take my son to his swimming lesson on Saturday mornings so I can't do the park run. If I went on Christmas Day I would either be divorced, dead or both.

Boxing Day however - do you fancy a 5 mile run at Cromer followed by a quick swim in the North Sea? Clears the hangover pretty quickly....
  • Options

Zion- hugs and thoughts to you and yours.

Freemers- see, it didn't take long to get told offimage

No telling off for me today- recovery run at av 8.42 pace - more doms than discipline thoughimage.

Very jealous of everyone who has a parkrun nearby- think they are a fantastic idea.

• Options
    Silly question Gobi, and I'm not certainly not disagreeing with you, how does running a long SLOW run to quickly negatively affect developing a good aerobic system so you can run faster marathons.
  • Options
    VLM 2011 Training (18 week programme)- Day 1:

Seem to be developing a nasty cough so I'm having a day off.

That's a good start then!!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons - if you run it too fast it stops being an aerobic run and becomes anerobic. Although this can still feel comfy you do not develop the aerobic system.

Intervals for me this evening, the way I ran the first couple of reps was not promising but the finish saw us repping at close to 5min miles again.
  • Options

From the way I understand it (essentially as read from P&D / Mcmillians) depending on the intensity and duration of a workout you train different parts of your physiology to varying extents.
    And there are "zones" of intensity that promote the best increase in fitness corresponding to each of these physiological systems.

So if for your current fitness your LSR's are supposed to be in between 8:30 - 9:30 (between 30-90s slower than current predicted race pace) but you run at 8:15's you are running harder than you need too, to get the best results out of the session.

Or what Gobi said image

• Options

Gobi- tell us (me) more- thought that the anaerobic system was more to do with running 400s and below-??

I do know from personal experience that running LRs too fast detracts from other runs during the week (eg tempo runs, medium long runs) and possibly total distance-?? Already hoping that my overzealous run on Sunday won't translate into trouble for tomorrow's tempo run or Weds MLR, but think it may well..... image

• Options
    I definitely agree that if you run the long run too fast it knackers you out for the rest of the week and your interval / tempo sessions are less good than they could be.

I can't comment on the anaerobic bit. I've bought the P&D book but I've not read it yet!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jason - the other simple reason for slowing them down is so you can do the other training sessions properly.

The long run is in principle especially during early training cycle designed to help the body learn to burn fat better as a fuel, if you run too hard(anerobic) the body burns carbs as first choice and some fat. Finally if you run at +75% HR then you will create lactic acid and get DOMS.

This is getting geeky this evening :¬)

Train to race don't race to train.
  • Options
    Loving this geeky stuff image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    As I have often said there is a time and a place for faster running
  • Options
    Zion. Thoughts are with you.

I love the geeky stuff and have read exactly what gobi and Joe have said.

As a result I just ran 15k - which is a relative long run for me. However I did it very slow. 10:45 per mile. 2.5 mins per mile slower than current 10k pace. Happy enough.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Well done.

--------

Some interesting stuff has been posted last night.  I guess that's also a reason why they say that running slowly is what helps people loosing weight, (not that I need to).

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    HY4 - now that I don't agree with as I can contradict the fat burnng zone from a weight loss point of view using basic maths :¬)

This is why HiIT(high intensity interval training) training was(is) popular with personal trainers.

Hour on the turbo to start my day

Morning all
  • Options

Some good insight on the necessity of slow pace for LSRs. I'm intending to try and implement a slower pace approach to my LSRs when my marathon training starts end of January. Trouble is I made my LSRs hard by going over the mountains to slow me down, but that doesn't reduce the intensity, so I guess I should go on a HR zone for a better indicator?

Gobi, as for fat burning isn't it a simple case of more calories burnt in a shorter period for HiiT... as long as you watch what's going in the more you take out the better...

Had a busy weekend so no running image

However, made up for that yesterday and decided to run my work commute. Tell you what, wearing a pack weighing almost 20lbs makes one hell of difference, my legs were complaining almost all the way there and back... still 4.4 easy (in), 5.5 comfortably hard (lunch) and 4.7 easy (home) made for a good day.

Legs don't feel too bad this morning either, although my calves know they've had a workout image

• Options

image Food for thought....I can see I will learn from being on this thread....now I am looking forward to trying 9.30 pace on the weekend's long run.

jayc - how did you make the journey home longer than the journey in? Nice going for the day, especially with a pack.

AGF - good run

Mr Spoons wrote (see)
    Boxing Day however - do you fancy a 5 mile run at Cromer followed by a quick swim in the North Sea? Clears the hangover pretty quickly....

Not a chance! But thanks for the suggestion - it took all of half a nano-second to mull it over...

5 miles easy for me yesterday, resting today. Intervals tomorrow. I also spent yesterday evening working out my plan for VLM, starting after Christmas. That always focuses the mind!