Options

for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone... can I join in?  Lots of the threads like you say seem to be about people that all seem to know eachother well! 

Intro: started running April09, completed 2 5ks last year and a 10k.  Really got the bug and overdid it a bit so ended up with ankle trouble (now have plenty of rest days/exercise bike days to compensate!)  Turning 40 this year and would love to do couple more 10ks and a half marathon if possible this year.  2 young tiddlers and a husband that works away a lot, so have had to buy a treadmill for those times I cannot get out on the roads!! 

Got subscription to the mag for xmas, a little baby G watch to time myself and a 5 cd gift set of runners favourite songs!!!  All set now so just need to get going and have something in the diary to aim for...image

• Options

Morning all and thanks for the welcome,

Trigger - good luck with the GNR

Kwala - hope your cold goes soon

LK - hope you feel better soon. 

Hi Strange one ..... somebody else recovering from ankle problems, seems a common theme, hope it holds up image

Well, today was the first run of the New Year and it was fantastic image I was due to run an 8 miles LSR so I thought I'd use a route I haven't used before just to keep things interesting. Route was down at the beach between Kinmel Bay and Abergele along the cycle route and I really enjoyed it. Started off just before sunrise and where the sand had blown over the seawall it was nice an crunchy. Temperature was a couple of degrees below freezing but I soon warmed up with the sun out. 

As it was a new route not really sure of the mile markers and ended up running a little over the eight miles. 8.3 miles in just under 88 mins so very happy with that pace for an LSR, as you can see I'm a plodder image

Sorry to go on but I've got that buzz againimage

• Options

It's lovely to have some new people on here. Been a bit quiet of late image

Welcome Strange One. Sorry to hear that you were injured last year, but it looks like you're raring and ready to go this year. Just make sure  you take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon. There are pleny of HM's around towards the end of the year (spring is probably too soon and a HM mid-summer will be murder), so pick one and aim for that image The sense of achievement you'll feel will be incredible!!!

FFM, well done on your first LSR of the year. It sounds absolutely lovely! And as for being a plodder, there are plenty of people on here who would envy your pace, so don't worry about it. Just keep going at your own speed!!

Right, going to stop lazing around at the computer and get these decorations down now.

• Options

Trigger and FT well done on your runs , LK sorry to hear you feeling crappy,Im sure you will make up time when you feelin better,you are a fab runner.

FFP well done too thats a good run,I would be well proud of that.Sounds like you have somehwere gorgoeus to run.

Hi Strange one, you are more than welcome on here,they a realy friendly bunch, well done on your runs last year too,I think I over did it  and have had a bit of ankle trouble too,I got the bug after a couple of runs and now Im addicted,Like LK said tho ,take it easy,thats what Im doing at the mo.

LK good luck getting the decs down,I cant do ours till weds,Hubby and kids are bit religious here and I will get told off if I move em yet,cant wait to give the room a good clean tho,may be good this year tho and put them away properly instead of just chucking them in boxesimage.

No run for me today,taking it easy,may do a little one tomoz,cant wait til Run Club on Tues,just hope it dont snow too much.

Hi everyone else,hope you are all ok.

• Options

Hi everyone

sounds like you all had varying kinds of days.....I've been working and seems like I caught your cold kwala image so no running for me today, no snow or anything else tho down here so guess not as bad as some areas.

thanks for the welcome LK/Trigger and welcome strange one ( I sound like have been on here ages but only joined yesterday so just as new as yourself...v friendly group tho)

Trigger...I hope you are right re the transition to running image

3 days off now but worked xmas and new year so looking fwd to getting out in next couple of days, pending sniffles and woolly head image

stay fit and healthy everyone and enjoy

• Options
    Musobob pants that you have to work Chritsmas and New year,I take it you do a very  important job.
  • Options

Hi Ecky

no, not that important, I work in aviation (...on the ground) so busy time over xmas/new year

• Options
    Its important for people who want to go away for the Holidays, lucky beggars.lol
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice welcome everyone... LK thanks for the advice about the half marathon too.. was thinking I may be able to do one end of feb, but after your reply I may re-think and aim for end of year.  Decs down yesterday, so nice to be back to normal! Lethal icy pavements round here so did 7.8 miles on the treadie today (ankle feels great at the mo).  Looking forward to being back outside though, and a friend goes to a running club so may try and get there with her when I can this year.  Good luck to everyone back in work tomorrow..
  • Options
    I hadnt thought of it like that image
  • Options

There you go then.lol

Strange one yeh I would def give yourself a bit more time for a HM, I did the GNR last year and underestimated how hard it would be without enuf work,However I would highly reccomend it as I did another just 3 weeks later. Im def going to do another one this year,sounds like you are running a good way tho already,well done.

• Options

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum and thought a newbies thread is the best place to start. I have just entered the Cardiff Half Marathon and have never run before. So training started 2 weeks ago. I have lost 3 stone in a year and still have another 2 to shift.

I am from Cardiff and training to be a nurse. I cannot wait to qualify and i am seeing running as a release from studying.

So i am looking for any advice you guys could give me and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions along the way xxx

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

hello everyone ..... good idea to start a new thread .... cant believe thta the 'original' is that old,image and I see its working to get new faces on here ! image

I must admit I dont go on here as much as I used to, but I'm still around and say hi when I can ....

Have a very busy life ... work,3 kids, husband, dog and training for VLM !

Will try to pop in again later ..... got to get kids ready for school tomorrow .. those 2 weeks went so quick, Happy New Year !!! image

• Options
    Hi  Claire welcome,I was new to this last year and did my first half last Sept,I made lots of mistakes so the things I would say were,get you trainers from a proper running shop after Gait analysis and follow one of the beginners training plans on here,take it easy and you will soon build up.There are lots of brill peeps on here too with some fab advice,they got me through it anyway.
  • Options
    Hi Albs nice to know you still around,hope training going good for VLM.
  • Options

Morning all.

Welcome Claire and well done on the weight loss so far! Keep up the good work! I'll echo what ET says above - I'm only a relative newby myself, so not exactly a running fountain of knowledge, but proper shoes are a MUST.

Had my first night at running club last night - due to the ice we only did a short 2 mile trundle, but I still enjoyed it and there seemed like lots of friendly folk there.

They have a clb handicap race starting next week, so everyone will be running the same route, as opposed to splitting into smaller groups. everyone starts together and has a race round a 4 mile circuit. Next month they do the same race again, except the peeps who finish last first time round get a head start, and the winners have to start behind everyone else to try and even the field. Glad that I'm on board for the first  race as hopefully it will give me a chance to see where I am compared with other members and try and sort some training buddies.

• Options

Morning FT glad you had a good night at club, Im backt tonight weather permitting and I cant wait. Im looking at moving from the jogging bit soon to endurance and then maybe be able to do some cross country.Good luck in the race,you will prob be better than you think.

Im off for a long walk today with my friend then running club tonight,my friend is no runner but has said maybe one day she will break into a jog,that may well be today cos its freezing and we will have to warm up.SW weigh in tomoz,hope I have lost some flabby,have tried realy hard this week and feel realy motivated.

Hope everyone else is ok.x

• Options

...thanks ET - I haven't done any races since 2007, but back then I was surprised how much quicker I was able to run compared with training - the club race sounds fairly informal, so not sure how much like a 'real' race it will feel - looking forward to it - just hope the weather doesn't stop me getting out for a few training runs this week - snowing heavily at the moment!

I forgot my other news - had our Monday night weigh in at home with Mrs FT - I lost weight over Xmas! Ok, so according to our scales it was only quarter of a pound but still pretty chuffed.

I think my running and good eating habits tailed off a bit over the festive season, so to manage to maintain my weight has me feeling really positive, as I'm sure I'll do better on both fronts in the new year

• Options
    Wow FT thats fantastic any weight loss at Christmas is aamazing,well done. I have just been out for a 5 mile power walk with my friend and its snowed heavily half way round,was lovely walking in it,hope we get lots more the kids want to build a snowman,dont look like running club will be on tonight for me.
  • Options

Welcome Claire - I've about 1 1/2 stone to lose before I feel happy with myself.  I'm not "overweight" in other people's eyes but clothes don't fit as well as before etc., etc.,

Well done FT - that's amazing I put on 1lb but am hoping that, being back on plan and with increased training schedule I'll soon start losing - weather permitting etc.  Running club sounds great too.  We have a similar handicap race and there's a trophy at the end of the year - year before last I won it!  Not so lucky last year as I didn't get to take part in too many of the races.

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

hi guys!

my first 'official' training run tonight ... 3 miles, which seems like nothing, but if thats what the plan says, then thats what I shall do ! image

Well done on the weightloss FT, any weight loss over christmas has got to be applauded image, also glad RC went well, you are brave joining ! I have emailed my local running club, but still not sure if I am brave enough to go .. hope the 'race' goes well

Claire - not too far from me then ... Im in wiltshire ... I have heard the Cardiff 1/2 is a really nice race, Ive entered the Bath 1/2 this year. well done on the weight loss, thats really good going ! As for weight loss I wouldn't mind shifting another 2 stone or so, hopefully with the marathon training I should loss something

Hi Ecky, Trigger, LK, Kwala etc etc ... hope you are all well ? And thanks, Ecky, training for VLM has been going well,

Since I got my place I have been building up base miles and got my LR upto 10 miles, for the last couple of weeks I have been taking it a bit easier, and I have now started following the training plan, which started this week with 2 x 3 miles, 1 x 4 miles and 1 x 5 miles which seems quite tame, but the mileage soon starts going up ! and thats what the plan says !

happy running guys x

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

RACES FOR 2010

Please add your name and races for upcoming year ...........

ALBION

Longleat 10k  -  07/02/10
    Bath 1/2  -  07/03/10
    VLM  -  25/04/10

• Options

ALBION

Longleat 10k  -  07/02/10
    Bath 1/2  -  07/03/10
    VLM  -  25/04/10

TRIGGER2

Brighton Marathon 18/4/10

BUPA 10k – 31/5/10

GNR – 14/9/10 (ballot)

• Options

No races booked yet, but will let people know when I do book some - eyeing up a 10k at the end of Jan and a 10 miler in March, hopefully followed by a Half marathon later in the year.

How's the weather for people?

Minging here - can't see myself getting out on the roads tonight. I can pay £5 to access the gym at the local leisure centre so i might be able to get on a treadmill, but their website says I have to pay for a £20 induction if I haven't used the facility before! ouch! I'm hoping that if I explain that I only want to use the treadmill I might be able to get away with it, but I don't hold much hope - bloody rules!

• Options

Hi everyone

been enjoying my days off from work tucked up with cold so no running this week, mind you with the weather outside I think I picked the right week to get the bug...what do ya think image))

back to work tomorrow but will leave car at home and do the walk instead, need to stretch the calf out as still tight after last run image

good luck to thoseof you who have races booked for the year, I'm with FT at this stage but will update with races as season goes along

welcome claire, congrats on the weight loss and good luck with the cardiff 1/2

back to work tomorrow...deep joy image

• Options

Hi guys.   School closed at 12.30 yesterday and is closed today.  Local authority has recommended that they don't reopen until Monday but our Headteacher has yet to make a decision.  4 miles on the treadie for me later but am not looking forward to the weekend unless there's a drastic change in the weather - training schedule says a 9 mile run and I really can't face doing that on the treadie.  It's in my garage and although I've got a lovely garden there's not much to look at this time of year!

Keep safe everyone

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

exactly the same for me Trigger - Ive got to do 4 miles later on treadie in the garage/playroom and like you I face the garden, but all there is outside is snow ! Hoping that I can get out for my LR at the weekend, but the forecast is saying more snow ! image

Last night was luckily a x-train day, and as I couldn't get to the gym I counted my walking the dog for 30 mins as the x-training for that day, not ideal but better than nothing !

my kids are all off school too, and the preschool where I work is closed too, though it may reopen tomorrow .....

Happy snowballing ... x

• Options

Hi,

My names Linda and I've been running for all of 5 days. I began training this week for the Castle of Mey 10k run in May and I have no previous running experience whatsoever.

I'm a tad overweight so I'm off to join Fat club as soon as the snow has cleared and I can get out.

I volunteered myself as a featured runner for the 10k as I figured it will give me the motivation to keep going. I'm lucky enough to have a full home gym so I'm able to start myself off on the treadmill until I'm comfy enough to get out with one of the dogs.

I'm really, really excited about doing this 10k and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get round in a fairly decent time, although I have no clue what I'm supposed to be aiming for as a respectable time. Unfortunately living way up here in the Highlands (40 miles south of John O Groats) I'm pretty limited to any kind of runs without having to travel ridiculous amounts. However, I have no doubt of the addictiveness of running and I'm sure the Travelodge is going to become a second home for me.

I'd love to know what kind of time a complete beginner could expect to take to be ready for a half marathon? There are some half marathons known as The Hebridean 5 and although they're still a way away for me I'd love to be able to compete in a couple of them later in the year. Is this a bit dillusional for a complete newbie?

• Options

Hi everyone, still not sure what races this year, but will update when I decide!  Just wondered what training schedules you are all following (T2 I notice you mentioned a schedule)... only because in my utter stupid stubborness/determination I am still contemplating a HM end of March now!!  I know it is 12 weeks away, and downloaded the 10 week schedule of training to follow.  What I thought was if I try and follow the plan then I could see how I felt 2 weeks before (last date for entering Liverpool HM), and if injury has stayed at bay, and I feel ready, then go for it... Thoughts or name calling welcomeimage

My treadmill is in the conservatory and to relieve boredom yesterday (did just over 5 miles) I kept thinking about the "Rocky" scene when he trains in the thick snow... sad I know...but it passed a bit of the time and made me smileimage

More snow forecast for the weekend here too, so treadie it is..... "Adrian!!!!!!"

• Options
    Hi Strangeone - I'm following Hal Higdon Marathon training plan for the novice even though I've done 3 already LOL!