Options

IMUK/Bolton 2010 training thread

Comments

• Options

Oh

30 mins turbo this morning, 40 mins run lunchtime plus 29/33/29/29/43 press up session got enough time for a quick 40 lengths after work then dash off for an all important sports massage.

For all you newbies I really rate a good massage at least once a month to keep on top of all the little tears and knots and niggles and up it to once every 2 weeks during peak I really put down no injuries in 3 ironman campaigns in a large part to massage. WARNING It can be VERY painfull especially the deep tissue stuffimage

• Options

um, still nothing for me image  on the upside thuogh pain has gone and so I think rest has done the trick.

Swimming lesson later then long 12m run tom and finally some time on the bike on Sunday (hopefully) may have to do a bit less, ease back in, will see how I go.

I'm really funny about massage especially on the legs, had DVT a few years ago and really paranoid now about having another one a having a massage as they can shift them. How painful are we talking ? Is there anyhting else I could do rather than having massages?

• Options
    The only time they are painfull is when you get adhesions on muscle layers and scarring I think its called crepitusimage then it can get unconfotable as they have to work along the injury and free up the fibres I usuallu get "tell me how it hurts on a scale of 1 to 10" its usually 4-5 then if we hit a trouble spot around 8 when I had some real problems around my groin/aductor area a few years back it hit 10+ image but then I am a big wimp. that said  I reakly do think its worth the discomfort and I run like a dream after 
  • Options
    will heed the advice and investigate, is there a register or something on the web that I can use to find one?
  • Options

Piran wrote (see)

will heed the advice and investigate, is there a register or something on the web that I can use to find one?

Not to sure my one is a friend (fiend when massaging) I will ask her today

• Options

Piran

sorry am I being an idiot with name like that do you live in Cornwall? If so I can recommend my mate who is Launceston based

• Options

Kind of...grew up in Truro image now London based image Do the caravan dodge down the A30 whenever I can manage it!

• Options
    Love truro me and Mrs R want to retire down that way currently living in Liskeard which has some great MTB and road riding great running trails and is fairly handy for both coasts and a couple of quiet resorvoirs nearby so pretty good for tri moved to the westcountry in the seventies from Milton Keynes and never wanted to go back image
  • Options

Just under 4 mile run before work this morning, cycle to and from work,  45 mins session on gym bike focusing on 100+ cadence and transition run on treadie for 20 mins.  The 100+ rpm sessions are relatively new to me as a cyclist as its something I don't normally do. I have to keep the level quite low (level 5) when doing this in order to keep my heart rate within correct range. I don't know how fast people aim for but I did 3 x 10 mins of approx 110 -112 rpm. I need to concentrate otherwise I slow down if I go off into a day dream!   Felt quite energised today. Now ready for bed image

Swimming lesson in morning followed by meetup with uni - daughter in London for lunch, followed by home and then 2 hr bike ride.

Got 14 mile LSR on sunday morn and then swim practice in pm.

Ridgeback - I've never had a sports massage image but I know a lot of people swear by them

• Options

Well, swimming lesson went marginally better this week . I actually had woken up not wanting to go to the lesson as I felt so useless last week so I had to give myself a stern talking to .Amazing what excuses you can come up with if you are trying to avoid something!  image 

I'm still having trouble with the rotation but managed to get into a slightly better rhythm today with breathing. Lesson today was on catch up drills.  These will also help me to try breathing to the right as well as I only ever breathe to the left ...

Met up with daughter but later could only do 1 and half hr bike session out on road as I was worried about my back bike light...... too dim.   I went exploring today on the bike....decided to hunt out some different roads that had potential for quietness and pot-hole-free-ness image. I nearly came a cropper coming home in the dark when I hit a pot-hole image.  Don't know about the rest of you guys...but the roads around here have been a nightmare since The Big Freeze. Anyway I have earmarked some possible routes for the future that also include hills ........

Good to get out in the fresh air!

• Options
    two hours monster hilly group ride this morningcos I was feeling realy masochistic I took my heavy steel fixie with full mudguards was keeping up with everyone on their carbon fibre rockets so the leg strenght is really coming on I am starting to feel all this training realy starting to kick in. end of 1st cutback week back into it proper with a 5am run for an hour with one of my dogs my other dog has had to retireimage old age has finally caught up with her, she starts to fade after half an hour and is really stiff in the legs after its bad cos she sits there wagging her tail and i have to leave her behind image
  • Options

Sorry about your dog R'max  image...especially the having to leave her behind bit.  That would make me feel guilty for the rest of the day image

Can you explain what a fixie is?  And the purpose of them?  I'd love to see someone get a good placing in an IM event with a rather heavy knackered looking bike! 

My commute gets done on a heavy bike and I've more often than not got a load of stuff in my backpack so I too have got some basic strength in my legs. The one thing I do like about my commute bike is the saddle - very cheap bike but saddle is very comfy! 

Just back from 14 mile run. Felt good today. Just had some eggs on toast then going to relax with sunday papers for a bit then go for swim practice at 3pm. 

• Options

fixie- single gear bike with fixed back wheel so if the wheel goes round so do the pedals, no freewheeling, fast descents are mental your legs are blur, they make great winter bikes no geartrain to get dirty and they realy improve your leg strength especially if you live in a hilly area

just took older dog out for a nice walk in the woods so dont feel so guiltyimage

• Options

Good training going on

Ladyfe- is that 14 mile run part of your VLM training?  I did a 12 mile jog on friday but dont intend going a lot further at the minute.  Might try and do a 13 mile run this week and then cut back to 10 miles.

A strange couple of days - I had to fix a puncture on my old turbo bike last night.  It was just a small hole - really dont know how it got punctured on a turbo!

Then today I thought I'd go for a longish bike ride and got a rear wheel puncture about 2hr into the ride! I found the culprit, a thorn and remembered a stretch of road a few miles back where the farmer had been cutting the hedges and I had tried to avoid the debris across the roadimage

I'm not the best at anything practical but I'm certainly getting some puncture repair practice in!  managed 43 miles in the end in 3hr 4 mins of actual cycling time (rather than puncture repair time)  My cycling is definitely something which I am going to have to work hard on. My average speed is only around 14mph and I find it very tiring!

Have a good week everyone!

• Options

Thanks for that R'max -  interesting about the no-freewheeling.  I tend to over free-wheel at times - or so an experienced cyclist once pointed out to me and I'm trying to break that habit. It comes from years of cycling on narrow roads with heavy traffic...if  I hear something heavy roaring up-behind me I tend to stop pedalling as I feel more in control of the bike.  Silly really cos free wheeling won't protect me from getting flattened image

Glad you and senior dog ended the day happily image

Slim - poor old you.  Can't believe you got a puncture on the turbo image. But like you say- its all good practice in puncture repair!    Yes, my 14 mile run is part of my VLM schedule. Basically I'm following a Hal Higdon Intermediate marathon schedule minus his Saturday run.  It fits in with the Fink one ( sort of) ...the only difference being that my longer runs are longer than Fink suggests at this stage. However, I am taking on board all the advice given here and making my marathon a B race so an improved time isn't on the cards this year. 

Got my swim practice in this afternoon.  I am definitely a one-sided swimmer - a major weakness in the rotation towards the left and breathing to the right image. Loads loads more practice needed

Anyway - end of another week.....good not to feel knackered!  Heavy work week coming up image

I toast you all with my glass of red tonight image

• Options

Chin, chin Ladyfe. Sounds like you're earning it.

Another mixed bag for me this week.I managed 3 decent runs, including a long one when the sun was out on Friday morning - my first run in shorts this yearimage. Only one swim, which was a bit short, but I felt pretty good. The local Elite squad were in the next few lanes, defying the laws of physics. I'm delighted to report that I have a lower stroke count (which makes me a better swimmer, doesn't itimage) than the world 10km OW swim champion. Unfortunately,I cover the lengths in more than twice the time she does, which says a lot about how slow my arms goimage.

Again rather too much turbo time for my liking, although the numbers are going up as they should, butI can't wait to get a decent long road ride in. I'm thinking about riding over to the IM course in the next couple of weeks for an early reccie.I think the first/last and middle bits are on busy A roads, pretty straight and flat, but not pleasant to reccie. Should be perfect for race day with closed roads, though. IfI get there I'll report back.

I'm another fan of massage -I try to get one every month, on a 'rest' week. They should be a bit uncomfortable anywhere where you've tweaked and leave you feeling floppy for an hour or so afterwards. Then the next day you'll have a real bounce in your stride. Definitely recommended.

Have a good week, folks.

• Options
    ok have signed up and am in.  next to try and find accom......
  • Options
    8iron wrote (see)
    ok have signed up and am in.  next to try and find accom......
     8Iron welcome to the madhouseimage

think I pushed the bike a bit to much yesterday as the hours run this morning was a real slog so postponed my swim till tomorrow evening and am just chillin tonight, 45 mins turbo tomorrow morning and some core stuff at lunchtime
  • Options

I think I pushed too hard on my bike as well as my run yesterday was also a hard slog.  In fact I have decided to have an easy week as i am listening to my body which is saying 'give me a break!'.  It is hard though to decide to ease off - questions such as 'Am I just being lazy?' rattle around my head. However I really think I am doing the right thing and instead of a planned 13 mile run this week will cut it back to 9 miles amnd do some easier filler workouts.

Just come back from a cr@p swim.  If I am left alone in the pool and I relax then i can go and up and down very slowly but comfortably.  However put me under pressure, ie faster swimmers all around me and the water gets choppy with their bow waves and my stroke goes to rats and I get puffed out.  45 minutes today and I had had it. puffed right out and any stroke style I had was totally gone. i realise that it might get a bit busy and choppy at IMUK!  Back to the drawing board i suppose.

• Options

Wise move on the cutback Slim there is a long way to go and from what you post you seem to be doing a lot key for the swim is do your own session ignore everybody else its good practice for race day stops you blowing yourself to bits a mile and a half into the swimimage

My turbo session was done at 70% max HR this morning and I feel much better for it looking forward to a nice steady technique session in the pool tonight prob around 45 mins

• Options

Running and cycling is going fine but as usual with my ironman training I am having trouble getting moyivation to go to the poolimage open water swimming I love, but churning out lenghts in the pool does my head in how can I start feeling the love for the pool? binned my session last night image and did some weights instead definately going tonight but for how long till i bin it who knowsimage

my ironman swim training always ends up as a couple of 30-40 mins pool swims a week then in the last 10 weeks a mad dash for endurance with a couple of hour pool swims and one hour to an hour and twenty  minute open water swim a week 

• Options

R'max - I used to feel like that about swimming - just churning out length after length zzzzzzzzz. However the lessons are really giving me something to think about in each session.  In fact there's so much to concentrate on that I find time goes really quickly. 

My problem with the swim is that the times available at my pool don't suit me..............there are 2 adult only sessions at 8.30 on Tues and Thurs but there is only one lane available on the Tues so its really difficult to get space to practise .image  I'm also tired at that time so don't swim particularly well image

The very early morning sessions are for club and masters but I have been advised AGAINST joining masters by my instructor whilst I am having lessons.   So it leaves Sunday which isn't too bad and I am hoping to utilise Sat morns once I finish my course of lessons....but its not easy to get quality sessions in.

By the way - on average what is your IM swim split? My greatest fear is not just the swim but not making the swim cut-off image.

• Options

I really am spoilt I use a military pool 5 minutes from my office its 25m, 8 lanes and usually no more than 8 people in there a lot of the time 2 or 4 so I know I am really lucky poolwise, I know what you mean Ladyfe about variety when I was teaching my mate to swim last year for his first IM (yeah he couldnt swim a stroke of FC and wouldnt put his head in the water) time flew by,

My IM swim times have been IIRC 1:25, 1:22 both at IMUK Sherborne and 1:35 at IMUK Bolton although in my defence Bolton was supposedly overlength every single swim I have had around 5 mins of faffing trying to sort out leg cramps in the last 1/2 mile bye the way my mate went from virtual non swimmer in January to a 1:46 swim in the August so do not panic you will be fine, for what its worth I never worry about the bike or run  its always the swim I get nervous about but after I have always wondered why I got my knickers in a twist over itimage

• Options

Ladt Fe

I also live near a large resorvoir and work 10 mins from the sea so open water swimming is a doddle when it warms up! do you have a place you can practice OW? that realy is a must pre race

• Options

As I'm reading the above posts I'm thinking yeah that's how I feel!  Although the whole of the IM worries me- it is the swim that I'm beginning to have nightmares about!

Very encouraging about your mate RBM- if he can go from virtual non- swimmer to 1hr 45 then that certainly gives me hope.  I accept that i will be one of the last out of the water but am worried that this will just make me panic as I view the empty transition racks and push too hard on the bike!

I have trouble fitting the pool timetable around my lifestyle and often find the only time the pool is available is between 2100-2200.  very hard to get motivated at that time of night and I find myself getting out after 35mins.

Still, noone said it would be easy

• Options

ridgebackmax - if you want a few sessions for the pool i would be happy send some over, just let me know what standard you are.

much better to mix drill sets into your sessions.  keeps it interesting and only way you are going to get quicker.  dont worry too much on the distance either its a long way off.  Also this is IM.  So your best use of time is to get swimming to a level, your time initially will come from a strong bike and being able to run well of the bike. just try and remember its not 3 disciplines, its 1! swim to bike, bike to run and then the fun starts! 

my swimming has been awful in terms of getting to the pool, but managed 90 mins this morning and 12 mile run last night.  turbo and weights session this eve and then 5 hr bike and 30 min brick run tomorrow. 

My cycling is weak, especially on the hills as being gifted in the weight department and having a passion for a beer or two doesnt help when climbing!!

Fitting the training in is the problem!  Got 2 heavy weeks and then going on holiday for a week so chill and repair then!

• Options
    8Iron thanks for the offer I have loads of drills etc I just find swimming in a pool dire full stop I have no problem chucking myself into the seaimage. True to form I found something better to do tonightimage.  I am a middlepack swimmer at best but I used to be well near the back when getting into T1 so I must be doing something right. I am known as bit of a bike beast in our training group especially hills imageand can usually find a strong run too, in IM I just use the swim as a warm up, i just wish i could get the same level of enthusiasm for the pool as for bike n run trainingimage
  • Options
    lol - my bike is dreadful, putting it politely - i have seen children on stabilisers passing me going up hills!! Swim, slow, but like you its a warm up.  Run is why i do IM - you have 26 miles to catch people!!
  • Options
    8iron wrote (see
    )
    lol - my bike is dreadful, putting it politely - i have seen children on stabilisers passing me going up hills!! Swim, slow, but like you its a warm up.  Run is why i do IM - you have 26 miles to catch people!!
    Yep love the run and not to many peeps come pass me once i am on the runimage i always seem to feel stronger the further into the run I get weirdimage but once i get over that line I am usually totally wastedimage
  • Options

R'max - I live is SW Essex. As a non-driver, the easiest option for me is, I guess, tthe serpentine lido in Hyde Park, London as its easy to get into london by underground train..... There is also Lakeside that I may be able to use on a Saturday morn but thats a faff to get to....but there aren't really any OW venues nearby.  I agree, however, that OW practice is a must.  You've got it made you have!

Lethal outside here again...its gone all icy imageimage. May have to trek into work on foot in morning as I daren't risk the icy roads with the bike....especially as I'm teaching evening class as well till 9pm and don't fancy the cycle ride home in the dark image

Done some early morning runs and cycle on gym bike.....hope roads are clear by weekend