Options

First Time Half Marathoners

Comments

• Options

MJ - I had trouble with my garmin yesterday as well - just remembered! Going up the first hill, I was thinking I must keep an eye on my pace to make sure I didn't set off too fast and just crumple half way up. So Iglanced at my watch, to see it saying 'Mem Lo'. Argh!!! I presumed it meant it had too much data in & I had to delete a few runs worth of data to make space. So a whole chunk of the first hill I never even noticed, as I was fiddling with watch, trying not to delete my current run whilst getting rid of some old stuff!

Enjoy the sun!!

• Options
  • Options

B&T, thats a nice and unusual medal.  i want one lol. nice to see you're not feeling too bad today. the more you run, the less you notice the aches and pains. once your body is used to doing it over and over, it gets a bit more forgiving. enjoy your hols, dont forget to pack your trainers lol.

MJ, i was the same when i ws younger. i had a long stride and found it easier to let my stride carry me at that speed rather than to shorten it and slow down. how i would love those days back lol.  nothing wrong with being lazy and getting a lift there. most of the people at the running club turn up in cars, even the ones who live half a mile or so away. as long as you put the effort in when there is what matters. 

• Options

Hello all.

I'm training for my first Half which is 28th March, it's the Liverpool half marathon.

I've been running for about a year now, unfortunately before xmas events conspired against me and i didnt really do as much running as i'd of hoped. So in January it's felt like a new start.

Friday i went out and ran 4.5 miles and i'm hoping to do the same again tonight.

I've ran a couple of 10k's but as for training, i'm not following a particular plan as such. I'm just getting myself to a point where i think i can cover the distance.

• Options

Hi Jay,

Nice to 'see' you here! My first HM is 28th March as well - there's a few of us running on that day - but all at different events! I don't think you need to follow a schedule as such, as long as you're sensible about slowly upping the miles you do, and careful to balance the runs you do (i.e. not all hard runs or you'll get injured / fed up!) I however do like to have a schdule to 'nag' me as to what I should be doing - and I enjoy ticking off the runs as I do them! Enjoy your run tonight!

Bats - its a fab medal, isnt it!

• Options

Hey guys how is everyone? And hello Jay, hope you enjoyed your run tonight!

Does anyone have any tips on tight calves? I'm supposed to be doing a bit more structured training for the next 14 weeks to ease myself to 10k so I went back to 3 min run, 1 min walk- which I was supposed to do five of, but after the first three minutes I could feel it tightening... Managed two more reps then headed home just in case. Happened on my run the other day, but I'd managed just under 1k before it happened image This time it would've been more like 500m!

• Options

Nice medal B & T does it have the race/year on the back? you dont have to delete data from your garmin while running, mine told me every mile for days before I deleted.

Hey Jay

ManxJade tight calves ive been there. you may have to give it a weeks rest. I always have a cold shower after a run really helps recovery.

• Options
    I like that medal, looks really funky. I want one! Suppose I need to put in the effort first!

ManxJade, obviously first thing is making sure you warm up/stretch properly and thoroughly beforehand. If you're doing that anyways then clearly I added no value to this topic with that point! I have this funky inflatable foot cushion thing which I got last time I went to the US, which I basically spend 10-15 minutes balancing each leg on each day and it really helps.

Its something like this, only flat rather than dome shaped.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A9evdNUUL._AA280_.jpg

Rest your calves though - no point in taking any risks.
  • Options

Hi everyone. Another mover from the other half marathon thread - they've been and done all that!

Been running on and off for a couple of years - started at 40 to get some weight off and it worked!  Done a few slow 10ks but have decided that this year I'm going to do things properly.

Signed up for the Leeds HM in May and trying to follow a "Smart Coach" plan. So far so good. Got a 10k in Bradford in mid March so I can see how thngs are going then!

Did 6 miles nice and slow on Saturday and an easy 3 miles tonight and pleasantly surprised that the legs don't feel too bad. Bit of gentle stretching and weights in work gym tomorrow before some tempo on Weds - providing it doesn't snow too much - in which case I'll be on the treadmill!!

Flippin cold running outdoors at the moment - takes ages for the muscles to warm - or s that old age??image

• Options

Hello.

My run was good managed 4 miles, just a little bit of walking.

Ipod is playing silly games at the moment, i changed the battery in it as I was convinced the battery was done for. The new one though last couple of times has only last for an hour on the first run then on my 2nd run 40 minutes. it died on me tonight at the 40 minute mark, ran the last 10 minutes without it. Anyway on my warm down turned it back on just to check it was dead and its been playing for the last 2 hours!

I've decided to let it play during the night completely drain it and charge from empty tomorrow.

ManxJade i'm getting tight calves at the moment as well which are resulting in some pins and needles/numbness in the feet. Though I know this will pass over the next week or so, So i'm not too worried about it. 

Rest day tomorrow another run planned for Wednesday.

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone, not too eager on the week's rest but I'm not going to push it. My runs would count as other people's rest days! Joining the local athletics club tomorrow, but it'll be the cross training day so shouldn't be too bad- they normally do a mile run warm up but I'm hoping the coach realises that a mile is in no way a warm up for me! My boyfriend has spoken to her (it's his club) so I'm hoping it might have been mentioned... It probably is due to lack of warm up, generally I do a brisk walk. My sister had problems with her tendons, she ended up walking up on her toes so I am hoping that's not hereditary! If it carries on I'll look into a massage, I'm a proper athlete now image

Welcome in leedslass well done on sticking to the plan- I really can't! Wow, you still have snow?!

• Options

welcome Jay & Leedslass.

good luck with the club tomorrow MJ. after any run you can also give your calfs a bit of a massage yourself to help them afterwards. or better yet, get the bf to do it for you lol. 

• Options

MJ - no snow as yet, but the weatherman keeps mentioning some "potentially significant accumulations" on Weds!!

So long as it's gone for the LSR 7 miles on Saturday that will be ok!

After this week I've got an easier one as a bit of a rest after upping the mileage week on week after New Year. It sticking to the really slow runs that I find a bit tricky. If I feel good I'm tempted to keep going but I know I'll only get shin splints again if I do so I'm being strict with myself!

• Options

Wow - chatty on here tonight!

Jonathn - sadly the medal doen't have the year on the back. I guess I could get it engraved, but will only be a problem if I run it again. I expect by then, this one will be all scratched from the constant handling, so I'll spot which is which! I've never had the 'Lo Mem' error message whilst running before - I had 5 runs in there already - I think its up to 9 it can store. However, oneof them was my 8.6M I did last week, which tookover 90 mins, and there was probably a 7 miler in there as well, so maybe it was full. Anyway - deleting on the move sorted it out. Mental note - clear out old runs before long run / race!!

MJ - tight calves doesn't sound much fun. My thought as well would be making sure you're properly warmed up - we know how speedy you are! Does it help if you stop & stretch once it starts?

Hi Leedslass - they're a friendly bunch aren't they, on the 'gulp' thread, but all that talk of 16 milers & marathons is a little scary! Sounds like you have a good plan and are taking it steady image You sound a lot like me - and yes it was COLD this morning - it started snowing whilst I was out!

Jay - good run! My mp3 player has funny days when it just turns itself off, then next time it will be fine. I think its because I did get it very wet on a couple of runs, and its not quite been the same since! I don't mind running without music, but when you've starteda run with it, its suddenly very lonely without it!

• Options
    my ipod nano went through the washing machine once was fine
  • Options

JG - was it playing all the way through the wash?!!

Having been pretty smug that I wasn't stiff yesterday, just a bit achy in my hips, I feel stiff today! Don't know if its a delayed reaction to Sunday, or the 3M slow run I did yesterday. I ended up coming through a very muddy field - slipping all over the place like Bambi! Aiming for 9M tomorrow so hoping I feel okay by then!

Oh - just ordered myself some new running socks as a reward for doing so well on Sunday image

Anyone out on a run today?

• Options

if it was playing, was it palaying 'dizzy'?

club noght tonight for me B&T, 3-5k warm up, then whatever the reps are for this evening. should of been hill work last tuesday so may be that tonight. had a couple of newbies both tures and thurs last week, so they kept it track based. 

• Options

Afternoon all.

Well ipod was left on all night to run flat, and a colleague lent me a mains charger for the ipod, so it's been charging this morning, and just checking it now... yes it says it's fully charged. So i'll see how it behaves over my next couple of runs.

6 weeks this Sunday is my half, can't wait my plan is come the end of this month that I can run 10k pretty comfortably, I think that's a good benchmark to set for myself.

Planning my next run for tomorrow morning, if not it will be after work.

Hope everyone is well.

• Options
    ballot checker online for manchester/GNR

http://www.greatrun.org/BallotCheck/?manchesterNorth

while the link says manchester, you can change it to GNR from the drop menu. (it seems to stay on manchester be default)
  • Options

Thanks for the tip bats, i checked it and IM IN!!!

oh crap hehe

well this will be the 2nd half marathon of the year for me

• Options

You have FB mail Jay.

(Just lurking and keeping an eye on Jay) image

As you were people!image

• Options

YAY! "Congratulations! Your application to take part in the Bupa Great North Run 2010 via the ballot has been successful."image

• Options

Oooh  Jay - you have a stalker !!! Congrats on getting in -suddenly you're upto TWO HMs!!! Actually, I suddenly realised that my very local HM should be on in September - I just couldn't get my mileage up (nor my confidence!) for last year, so maybe I should look at it for this year. (This is of course being confident that my *first* one goes okay....image)

So - new topic to discuss - is anyone playing around with gels / energy drinks etc?? I've been reading a little bit about them in the magazine, and whilst I think I need all the help I can get, I don't want to start using something I don't really need and then feel I can't run without them! Is there anywhere you can buy them singly? I was looking at gels on wiggle and the smallest packs they have are of 4.

Planning my 9 miler tomorrow (gulp - nearly into double figures!) and the last couple of miles home are uphill. I'll be taking my Kendal Mintcake for a swift sugar boost (but might have scoffed it by then already!)

• Options

Black and Tabby. You can get Power Bar Gels singly in Tescos and they're about £1.25 each if you want to try those. They also do lucozade ones and Sis gels but not in the same place! The Power bar are with the vitamins and the others are with the whey protein....image

• Options
    Ooh - we have a little Tescos near us I can look in, otherwise I'll have to make a big detour to go to the big one. Thanks for that, Liverbird! (I see you are a 'Red' Liverbird as well - thumbs up!)
  • Options

Evening everyone. No run for me today - XT in the gym this morning! image

Most of the main supermarkets have an offer on one or other of the energy drinks at anyone time. Blackcurrant Gatorade is my drink of choice. Mojitos are neither re-hydrating or energy giving apparently!! image

I understand that Lucazade are bringing out jelly beans sometime this month. Would like to try them as I use jelly babies as an energy reward on runs over an hour.

Power bars are Yuk! Can't get into them at all but I do like Goodness Shakes chocolate flavour. Will have one of those after a tough lunchtime run when I don't get chance for a proper lunch.

• Options
    I tried a gel from Tesco (I think) when I went out on my last long run. In my own inimitable style it was stuck in my pocket and I didn't want to have to stop to get it out because I was making good progress. When my legs did eventually drain out, I ripped it out of my pocket and downed it - so didn't really end up tasting any of it.

Anyways, not sure whether it was an instant sugar rush or just a psychological thingy but the 2km I did after that (which were my last 2 km) were also my fastest that day!
  • Options
    you probably wont need any gel B n T until your running over 10miles, even then you want to get used to running without. i think the idea is that when youve burnt all the carbs you start burning fat mid run, this is what the elite guys do dont no if eveyone can do this tho.
  • Options
    Its my birthday day 25 now. maybe y I got a place in GNR. went to physio this morning gave me some exercises basic stuff and told me to cut down the milege for 2 weeks .
  • Options
    'Your application to take part in the Bupa Great North Run 2010 via the ballot has been successful.'

I love you Great Runs!

Now the boyfriend is panicked lol, he's off to Senagal for six weeks, then I meet him in Paris for two weeks in Rome and Greece THEN August is results/university stuff, then the GNR then moving into uni!

On the other hand though, my training session went great tonight image There was only four of us (excluding the coach) and we just did sit ups/push ups/planks/star jumps and some wierd disk thingies.

Not sure who mentioned the foot bounchy thing- maybe 404? But yer, went on one tonight- could not stay on! The coach threw a 4kg medicine ball at me and I kept falling off! Yay this week is going great- except I did my arm in on some tricep exercise image