Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt, a non full beans 1.13 half marathon sounds epic to me!
    CC, make peace with rehab mode for a brief time, and before you know it you'll forget this ever came up!

Felt a little knackered yesterday, but decent sleep refreshed me and I fancied some HMP action.
    I don't think i've done more than a mile in a go at HM for about 18months, so a session of 2x2m at HMP off 90secs seemed a reasonable way in.

1.27 a lap the vague aim.
    1st set, started with a 1.25, the rest all 26/27s   (av pace 5.48)
    2nd set started with a 1;22, then 1.25, 5 26/27s then 1.24 |(5.44)

Felt a nice flow, albeit feeling very warm after!

Will aim to develop this going forward.

But looking forward to March
    Ealing mile next Fri, Southern 12 stage on March 25th (have made the new club's team, though don't remember actually saying i was up for it :), and LFOTM Friday 31st.
    Nice.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Another solid session that SG.  I've done a couple of 2x 2 milers in the recent months at "tempo" pace (a touch slower than 10k pace for me) and it's one of those that can feel easy/comfortable if you're having a good day but can feel like an absolute slog if not!

Although I'm still pissed off with the situation, I did come to terms with it a bit more yesterday (that sounds a bit dramatic - it's not like I've lost a loved one...!).  All I really want to know is how long the lay-off is going to be so I can make plans for the next few months.  i.e. whether it's worth entering a marathon in the next few months or whether I'll need to wait for an Autumn marathon, or just ditch it for this year.  Or if it was going to magically clear up in the next week, what can I salvage from this campaign and go and run Manchester with a slightly different goal, etc. etc...

Perspective though again - this isn't (hopefully) going to be a long lay off by any stretch of the imagination - nothing like the patience you've had to exercise...!!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, i used to do a 2x2m at tempo, or 3x2m or 2x3m at HMP. I think they're more full sessions. Think at one stage when raging fit just before smashing the doors off all pbs i did a 2x3m at tempo too, and rampaging across town!
    So much safer on the track!

It's that limbo isn't it with you. If someone said it'll be a month, you'd deal with it, but you don't know if it'll be a day, or a month, and that's very irritating.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Went out a couple of hours ago intending to do 8 miles steady, but by the end of the road I had already ground to a halt - that was to chat to a guy from the club I've just returned 1st claim to.

So with that as a disruptive influence I changed the run to doing 400m-ish with a rest. At least they would be faster than just plodding along.  30 x 400m later I was done. No idea of the rest interval but just long enough for a quick stretch of the hamstrings. Speed of runs around low six pace. Seemed hard enough.

🙂

• Options

Cracking old school running and training from ML84 - Love it! Well done in far from ideal conditions.

Sadly we seem to be drpping like flies at the minute - I've got some Sciatic/Piriformis grief at the moment - which may have been after the Surrey xc last Saturday when I did a long run down the A5 and then got picked up and we went to Lee Valley to see the father in law race..(31 secs for 200m at 67!). Did some strides/sprints and it seemed to start then. Went over to Bedford last Tuesday and did 10 x 3 mins with 90 secs recovery along the Embankment and I think that aggravated it further.

So been doing gentle runs sinc then and slowly getting better, hopefully it eases before the national at the weekend. Going to get pissed with some old Nottm mates and then get training properly from March onwards. Well that's the plan. Hope Reg, CC and Bus get better soon...

I've run that Steve Way Littledown course before. Two of my mates houses are on that map! It's just as you come into Bournemouth in front of the big JP Morgan building.

• Options

Thanks Simon - fingers crossed for all of us crocked! CC - I agree, it's the not knowing that makes it frustrating and its all amplified when a marathon is involved. On the plus side, if you do recover relatively quickly your current marathon training will pay dividends in any shorter races you do anyway.

Nice HMP 2x2 SG! I remember doing a 3x2M at 10M pace once, but couldn't even contemplate that now!

30 x 400m Ric? That's insane, regardless of pace!!!

Stood on the scales this morning and got a shock! Seems I put on 5lbs in the last week, so all the post Christmas effort to get back to racing weight for Fleet seems undone, with little hope to rectify other than cycling. Hey ho, such is life! 19M on the bike this morning to work, which was around 5 miles further than I would have done if the scales hadn't told me what they did!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think Ric was trying to beat my 26 (+whatever metres to make up the full 6.5miles) x400 last week ;)
    Although mine was in one go :)

Less eating Bus! If you want to be part of the 3 man topless dream team post race with me and Phil again, like at the CP race years back, you need to keep in trim ;-)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes Bus, 30 x 400m sounds mad, but I was only running around a minute a mile faster than if I hadn't stopped at all. But I didn't fancy a bad race so I stopped every 400m.
    It's a cross over session. When I was running, it was faster than could be sustained for the entire distance. 
    I once did a session of 3 minutes fast, one minute recovery which lasted over 12 miles. That was of far more benefit than just going at brisk pace for 12 miles.
    That's the idea. To go faster than can be sustained.
    In my book, once past about 5 minutes, it isn't speed work any more. The reason is that after 5 minutes, the body has switched to the aerobic zone, there's nothing left to test beyond that bar just wearing yourself out while running slower than you already can.

🙂

• Options

Fair enough Ric - just the "30x" bit that scares me!

SG - keep your fantasies out of this ;-). Less eating this week than last, but had to live up to Philip's definition of a good holiday last week - at least 3 of the 4 anyway! Also, probably more of a need to trim rather than be in trim :-)

Not entirely looking forward to the ride home - it sounds like its blowing a hoolie out there, which will be straight into my face!

• Options
    Headwind for me too Bus, check Thursday, 40-50 mph :smiley:
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Lots going on since I last commented; firstly great HM Matt and if you can do that time when half hearted about it all, there has got to be every chance of joining Dachs' 1 man sub 70 club soon :)

Great training volumes Ric; are you doing Staines 10k; getting worried about retaining my 1st v50 position there if you're around (or Philip too!). Good to see Scott back and training and racing well too (yes, of course parkrun counts ;) )

Usual impressive training from SG and Dean; must get frustrating SG to do so much and so well without the races to show for it but I guess all that is about to change :)

Hope all the "crocks" improve soon but it could only be serious runners that are still doing ferocious amounts of cycling or even running whilst injured (though I'm as guilty as any!) CC your mileage and long runs are much greater than most marathon entrants will have done so far; if you can get fit in the next 2 weeks I think Manchester is very much still on. 

Decided to throw my hat in the Bath Half ring for 12 March and ditch thoughts of Reading or Fleet. Managed to do a couple of runs of about HM distance with the hope that they would come out very low 7's without too much effort. Well today's was from work to Windsor Castle and back and it was 1'37 so a pretty slow 7'24 av despite quite a lot of effort. Still, not run those distances for ages and mostly off road and undulating so it will do as a start. parkrun at the weekend was more like it back at 18'42 at Woodley but Run Britain reckons it was really easy course/conditions so moved my handicap up higher anyway. Must stop looking at that; think we agreed it is very hit and miss a while back!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Pete, yes I'm down for the Staines 10k. It's one of the few races I target these days. Sold out in a week didn't it?

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Does it only have about 200 places or something?

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Its about 700 places but very popular as its a top value cheap race and a very fast course.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If there's that many, they should probably save a few places for front end runners...like a lot of races do for "elites".

Possibly.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Don't think many top end enter it; even I was top 10 last year
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Phil, I will most probably do the final week like Steve Way as it seemed to work last time out for me. One thing I didn't really do last time was the tune up races so they may well prove very beneficial this time. 

CC82, I've only ever had an 8 week spell where I was coached and that was off Helen Clitheroe over 2 years ago. I really enjoyed it and the sessions were hreat but I only ever intended it to be for the 8 weeks leading up to Leeds Abbeydash where I ran the exact same time as my PB. I ran the same time the year before by running 3 x 10 mins on a treadmill for a few weeks. :-D
    I did speak to a friend yesterday who is in the early stages of coaching and has run for England and both of us are keen to get the ball rolling after the marathon. Looking forward to it! 

• Options
    That should really help move things forward Matt - good luck!

Frustrating ride home - 17M to make 36 for the day, but had a relatively simple mechanical issue (gears not shifting properly) that turned into a right pain in the arse! Despite faffing around in the dark on the way home with what I thought would just be a simple case of adjusting the tension, it didn't work and I then spent well over an hour in a cold garage setting up the rear mech from first principles, before giving up at 9 to have some tea! You don't get that nonsense with running shoes!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I assume those are index gears Bus. I've never liked the things since they don't work quite as well as they ought too. Always getting stuck between gears needing another 'click' to shift.

On the subject of the Staines 10k, I do the race since for me it ticks all the boxes.
    Those who entered last year or the year before had an email notification of date of first entries. I acted on the first day and was about 7th entry.

🙂

• Options
    Yes Ric. I generally find that, once set up correctly they are fine. The 105 groupset on my roadbike never skips a beat. Difficult to buy a bike with friction shifting now! I've still got a friction shifter on the front mech of my old MTB though. Is Staines full then?
  • Options
    Bus - I feel your pain, I just put up with badly operating gears all the time. For me it is normal to have to change 2 gears and go back one to the one I need!

Wind didn't seem that bad last night but having averaged 21 mph this morning, a lot thanks to the wind, I don't fancy the journey home much.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, that sounds a horrible evening's work.

I'm relaxing now after a gorgeous mix of a 10miler, with the first half seemingly into wind, and then a dentist appointment less than an hour afterwards!

First one for ages where I was honestly wondering if it felt this sensitive and achy with the injection, what on earth would it be like without!

Only half way through too..a dam cap needed. Made sure I said no to the planned Friday 3rd follow up though. That's Ealing mile day!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, promoted to level 3 :) whch I see you were too Bus.

erm..what's that mean then?!?

• Options

It's one above level two SG - must be good! They always find something for you to pay for when you go to the dentist!

Reg - I'm almost as OCD with my gear changes as I am with my round number thing! When I don't get a smooth change I get personally insulted - not enough to pay for electronic shifting though!!! The time it takes to clean/service/repair my MTB was one of the main reasons I prefer running...

Pretty windy today as you say, but riding tomorrow could be very interesting indeed!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh, it's like taking your car in Bus. This was always going to be something needed though, the dreaded portion of tooth coming out when eating! DOH!

We'll have to look for some sort of thread outing race wise soon...maybe some sort of April fare...give me March to remember how to race again!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Short bike double today, with a loop home to add a couple of miles and a hill whihc climbs 224 feet in 3/4 mile. Attacked the hill with some gusto to try and get a PR and glad I did - it took me from 230th of 2261 on Strava for this segment to 17th! Pretty pleased with that, especially when I look at the names of some of the guys around me (who were on bikes that are probably 2/3 the weight of mine too!).
    Might try an easy run tomorrow....
  • Options
    Actually 9th out of 1856 now, on a slghtly shorter bit of the same segment climb. Does that make me a proper cyclist then ;-)
  • Options
    PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The Bus said:
    Actually 9th out of 1856 now, on a slghtly shorter bit of the same segment climb. Does that make me a proper cyclist then ;-)
    What segment? Basically, as I see it, the way Strava works is that any fool can create a segment so 99.9% of all segments and KOM are just randoms. I picked up 4 the other day which were almost identical and were names like "my house to dentist" and "my house to shop".

If you are talking cycling, them KOM round here have to be Whiteleaf so e.g. https://www.strava.com/segments/618895 which has you at 1,879th place.

That Tejvan Pettinger is a cyclist: http://cyclinguphill.com/about/

dr.png 61.3K
  • Options

I didn't go u Whyteleafe last night so couldn't really improve my time on that one!  Hatches Lane was the one, of which there are three that cover the climb - this is the one where I look best :-)