Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Seb, what a fantastic effort and a great report. With added suspense! Those last 3 miles when onto a PB really are horrendous, so fair play for hanging onto the pace so steadfastly (is that a word?!). Your road potential is now being fully realised, but that only makes me think how devastating you're gonna be on the country this winter! Rest up and soak up the warm glow of a break though time.

14.5 miles @ 7:05 for me today. It felt so ridiculously easy, my heart rate was 155 avg which is in the aerobic/easy zone. Makes me think I didn't leave enough on the road yesterday.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seb, gave the site a check with fingers crossed, and  you made it buddy imageimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Ric, sorry missed your post, bottom of page job! Glad it seems to be ok.

• Options

brilliant run Seb

Dean & Stevie great relays yesterday even though both seem disappointed I'm  sure on reflection not that bad

1st non running day today for 28 weeks (196 days) image. Not intentional but calf reacted very badly in yesterday's run only managed 7k and last 2 in pain !!!

trying to be positive as a couple of days rest will hopefully do more good than harm.I'm seeing someone tomorrow about calf and he comes highly recommended!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's a heck of a streak Rob! 28 weeks!! Wow. am sure you'll find it's a temporary rest job.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Cheers All, really did scrape it with a 75:01/74:59 gun/chip time. Hopefully XC season will be fruitful.

Struggling to contemplate racing Cabbage Patch, as you say SG not enough recovery after such an effort. Also CP target was sub 57 which I'm sure I hit today.

I think my race # can be transferred to someone, IF I pull out anyone want my entry?

Odd one with the leg Ric, see how you go next run.

Good LSR's after yesterday's racing Dean and SS. Sometimes you just go out there and make sure you have a good training session after a disappointing race. We all do it.

As for VLM, If I was to run it would not necessarily be an A target, therefore 10k-XC-HM training could continue with only minor LSR modification. An odd way of doing it but possible.
  • Options

Great result Seb.

That is a good streak Rob.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seb, definitely wouldn't think doing a 10mile race the next week is too clever, especially listening  to the effort you put in!

I did 57.09 last year, and was on for beating that the week after at GSR before that 2mile wall of gale, so you'd definitely be a good chunk under i'd say.

You wouldn't have much trouble shifting the number if you deffo aren't up for it...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Rob, that is some going!

Seb, I wouldn't make a decision about CP until much later in the week, when you have had a chance to judge your recovery. Sometimes you have got to take the roll when (if) it comes...

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Congratulations Seb! Great run and report. Looks like you'll be on for some cracking runs in the xc. 

Nice win at the Parkrun too Phil. being first over the line in any race is to be enjoyed and Ive certainly enjoyed any win at the Parkrun that I've had. Quickest one of the year to boot!

Solid long runs from Dean and SS too. 

Hopefully its nothing too serious RobT. A lad from my old club is onto his 4/500 consecutive day I think. Crazy! 

Ive entered a 5 mile race next Sunday, should give me a bearing on where I'm at. First race in over 2 months (Ben Nevis was more of challenge than race) and will be doing a 10k the week after. 

donned my xc spikes yesterday and did 5 x 1 mile with 2 min rec on the local xc course. all came out between 5.30 - 5.45 so content with that. Woke up with a bit of a niggle in the Achilles area which I'm putting down to being in my spikes. No effects on today's 13.2 miler. Came out at 6.44 pace so pleased with that. Quite a few hills too. 

• Options

Mattl is that the green park 5 ?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Yeah Rob. its the lancs 5 mile road champs too. Not that ill have any bearing on it. 

• Options

Great run there Seb, sub 75 is a big scalp to take.

Yor time stands for a few years in regard to VLM. For next year, 2014, you need to enter before Jan 6th and the time has to be achieved after 1 Jan 2012 so it will allow you entry for 2014 and 2105 so no need to rush in.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seb, in that case you might want to do it in 2014, as you might find it tough in 2105!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Rob, shame about the calf problem. Hope it turns out well.

4 miles very cautious this morning. The quad problem seems to have disappeared. What was that all about? 

Running streaks. Mine is now up to 176 days. However, my last total rest day was September 29th 2012. 

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

My last total rest day is todayimage

Sneezing and sniffling this morning, and the previously torn tendon in my glute is giving me gyp, despite not having been painful for a while. Not a happy bunny!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb, awesome result, finally the road breakthrough that we've all been waiting for.  I like the way you toughed it out in those last few miles.  Sounds like all road times are due a reduction.  Impressive stuff.  Has there been any particular training that has contributed to it, or was it simply a case of finally getting it right on the day?

Bus, likewise I can sense the beginnings of a cold.  Is your glute giving you real pain or is it just one of those amplified niggles you get in marathon week?

As I have kids I am not sure what a 'total' rest day is, but my last rest day from running was Saturday.  Another tomorrow.  I think I'm supposed to be climbing the walls with frustrated energy, but I actually just feel sleepy.  Oh well.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Must admit, I also don't feel like I've got all this frustrated energy stored up either Dachs - could easily fall sleep!

Not sure with the glute tbh - I suspect it might have been triggered by the recent 10k, then aggravated by the long tempo and haviong to cycle back up Amersham hill a couple of times after a training course last Thu and Fri. Just keeping my fingers crossed at the mo.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - when talking of rest days, I'm only talking about non-running days. Stuff like cycling, core exercises, walking and general life doesn't count otherwise it'd be 16425 days since a rest day image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ooh, forgot the relay racers.  Dean, your experience is pretty much how I felt on my leg of the southerns over the same distance.  Felt like I was going a lot faster than I actually was.  Still, it's under 20, and I note one of the faster legs on your team.  SS, also good running, likewise it's hard to have that sharpness in a high mileage week.

I note that Jonny Davies of Reading AC ran the second fastest leg of the day, aged 18.  He's well known round this way already, but he looks to be a proper star in the making.  Watch him.

• Options

I seldom run more than 6 days a week. Occasionally I will race Sunday and do an easy parkrun on Saturday but usual pattern is run Monday to Friday and then one day at the weekend and the other one rest.

I find 6 runs a week is fine, even with marathons I can go up to the low to mid 60 miles a week by doing quality for 20, 15, 10 and then 3x5 or 3x7 recovery runs.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Seb - great sub 75. Serious about VLM next year? Going to be a good one getting to start with Mo Farah on his first marathon

Ric - freak injury that! But better that than something serious. keep calm and carry on streaking

Dean & SS - incredible the speed of the guys that are at the sharp end of relays. it really does appear to be a good club day out and highly competitive - wish my club entered such races purely for the taking part but alas, no.

PMJ - congrats on the 50th parkrun, first finisher and season best. watching your comeback over the course of the year has been great to watch. Mr Patient.

PC - missed your whole 'tempo' thread but for my 2 pennies worth, tempo to me just means running faster than easy pace for a prolonged (2+ miles) period. It's quite possible to do an MP tempo, 10k tempo, threshold tempo. 

Dachs/Bus - hahaha... sounds like you can't make out if you're enjoying the taper or not! personally, the taper has started for me too and to be quite honest, I'm glad. Ive def lost my mojo at the moment as well as picking up a cold too.

so yesterday was meant to be 60 easy 60 MP but to be honest, felt crap all weekend and, when topped off with the terrible weather, i really felt like jacking it in altogether. In the end pushed myself out the door for a 20 miler with the sole mantra of 'last long run, last long run' on repeat for the whole 2 and a bit hours

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Hey - Dont wish to hijack or jump in, but i'm relatively new to the boards etc so excuse if i'm talking out of turn but i'm looking at knocking down some time off my race pb's and to be honest I think chat/advice going on here would be great if you are open to newcomers?

Basically I ran my first proper half of the year yesterday and want to improve on times over 5k - 1/2 marathons over the coming few years, having dabbled with marathons but never trained religously for them I appreciate now that it's key to nail the speed on the shorter stuff first.... hence me being here.

Do I need any sort of intiation or will me just asking suffice to me being 'in' as such?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Johnas: A injury that wasn't it seems. Must have been something hooked up releasing itself. Doesn't half give one a fright when it does. 

As for marathons. If the adverse variables add up, I would definately exercise my option of not bothering with the race and go straight to the recovery phase.

Its a good way of collecting pb's at shorter distances.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome Slinkz... the whisper on the street is that you're a physio, so you'll be massively welcome on here!

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Ha, word on the street... I like it.

Yes for my sins I ply my trade dealing with many an overuse injury, on the plus side its good for getting in with the right clinics/Gp's for when a quick MRI or prescription is needed for something.

I wont try to ask all sorts of training related Q's from the off, but generally all things considered whats the time frame to get from where I am over 10k (39:03 this April) to say 35:00 thereabouts? I'm sticking a guess at around 18months potentially longer... Also, whats the general view on bodyweight? less is best for speed or would you say its possible to break 35mins for 10k coming in at 74kg+ (current weight). I know some ppl's views are highly revolved around the lighter you are the faster etc and when I ran my marathon PB a few years back I was around the 70kg mark but never enough energy/motivation to do decent speed work.

Thoughts and welcomes appreciated

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Slinkz, depends on the individual really, background, age, injuries, potential etc.

I took the scenic way up, starting with a 41.45 10k in 2003, and getting to a 34.30 in March this year. But those early days were very much as a secondary fun extra to my main thing football.

Plenty on this thread have smashed through 35 in a couple of years,....

If you're not doing 25-30miles a week minimum with some kind of logic to paces and structure of your week, i'd say you haven't even started training.....

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Slinkz, welcome. No initiations here. Well, apart from that wicker man thing, but we'll fill you in on that later. 

As SG says, depends on lots of factors, but particularly on what you've been doing to get to the 39 minute point in the first place. I went from 39:45 to sub 35 in 7 months, but that's because i went from running once a week to about 50 mpw. 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Welcome Slinkz, like the name by the way. My approach was similar to SGs, I played LOTS of football and used to thrash 6-10 mile runs on the odd day I didn't play football. Used to jog to football and home so my mileage was prob around the 30 mark and ended up with 36.16 first time out. 

Lots of good advice on sessions etc on here. One thing I've learnt is that I needed to be a lot more specific to a distance training wise instead of wanting to do anything and everything. 

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Cheers guy, currently at 4 runs per week as part of marathon training but that will come to end this weekend... So after a week off/light training I'll be putting a plan together to focus on a strong Spring 10k - if I can jump 3minutes off in that time frame I'll be chuffed.

Id say weekly mileage would be around 30-40 average over the last few months as I've been building for a marathon but on reflection on the drive home after yesterday's half in Oxford I appreciate I need to forget about the long stuff for a few years maybe and get quicker over 5k,10k,10miles etc to really have a chance of nailing a good 75mins and say sub 2:45 over the full.

So would ppl suggest doing some base volume from say Nov onwards and get into a programme which builds for 12-16 weeks before a target 10k or just jump straight into a more structured approach to the 10k distance and sustain from say Nov -April 2014?

Bodyweight topic, anyone on here ducked under 35mins above the 75kg mark out of interest?