Options

Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options

With a bit of luck I will not get lost on this race as it is on my patch and used to do the old south downs  80 mile way from QA Park to Eastbourne.

I think I might just put pack on as it is very light and put water in if required, maybe at drinks station 2 depending on weather. I take it you are starting in the second wave Mr Guy? what race are you training for with new pack then?

• Options

I am due to start in the second wave but want to change to the first if I can. I am testing it for the Downlands Challenge in July it is a 30 mile one out and back along the Southdowns. I think it only has 3 water stations and is bound to be hot at that time of year.

Have you done anything since the ONER?   

• Options

The weather forecast sounds good - about 20C. Looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with the South Downs hills after the relay last weekend!

For anyone who hasn't done this before, I think it's the best trail marathon, right up there with Beachy. Fab views but some tough climbs.

• Options
    My cold is developing apace. Throat quite sore now and coughing nicely. Hum ho
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! wrote (see)
    My cold is developing apace. Throat quite sore now and coughing nicely. Hum ho
    I felt like that for the last couple of days but luckily feel a bit better today! Been taking the vitamins religiously this week!
  • Options
    Oh yuk Ultra and toule2, what a pain!

My number is yellow 343 and as a first timer to this and any other marathon please feel free to come and say hello..... anyone! If you want any slow company, I'm your girl!

Good luck to all on the day
    x
  • Options

Greetings All. I shall be in the 9am start with number 450 at the back of the pack. I recognise some familiar names on this thread including Mr. Guy and Helly D. My last 2 events were Halstead and Marlborough Downs. I shall be looking for a suitable event to follow Saturday. I did SSSDM last year as my first trail marathon and found it was pretty tough in dry and hot conditions with unrelenting hills. Doyen of the Downs in December was unbelievably muddy after record levels of rainfall. Best to keep an open mind. Looking forward to a great day.

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

You're all coming out of the woodwork now. I rarely manage to remember numbers or descriptions on the day but I'm red number 792, 10:00 start - if I don't see you there I might see you at the finish as it is generally fairly sociable. I just hope the chip van is back, I missed it last year.

SDM  - one of these days on one of these South Downs events I will actually meet you image

Manfromindia - did you do Beachy last year? It fills the gap between SDM and Doyen nicely though I like the sound of this downland challenge, must look it up.  

• Options

Hello helly d.

The Marlborough Downs 33 Mile Challenge last month was incredibly well organised, had a great route which included 2 of the local chalk white horses and an excellent race HQ near Marlborough College.

I shall be doing Beachy Head for the first time in October. How does it compare with South Downs ?

• Options

Got my number today - 484 and will be wearing a Fetch vest

As OH has said he'll come with me I'm thinking of getting him to drop me at the college as that will give him a bit more time in bed (he only gets back from Scotland late Friday evening)

• Options

Got my number today as well ... some sort of spooky one trying to tell me something

Red 1111

Mr Guy - not done much at all did the Isle of White Needles 1/2 XC which was hilly

• Options

Hi again SDM  -   see you somewhere  image

• Options

Fetch top for me too.

Yellow 337

• Options

weather is looking even better by the day.....18 degrees and some sun. Ace! Looking forward to this and then jetting back to London for the footie and beers in the evening. The Downland Ultra at the other end of the downs is in July....anyone up for that too? Also, for those who are a glutton for punishment, 4th July is the last ever tanners marathon. I know some old friends are coming up to the Surrey Hills for this...http://www.tannersmarathon.net/

See you saturday

• Options
    I did Tanners 30 last year.  Really enjoyed it - will be in Frankfurt supporting at IMDE that weekend so can't do it sadly.
  • Options

Will only meet you guys starting at 10am if you overtake me  - prob wear my green Henfield Joggers vest - or at the finish.

Did the Winter Tanners this year - one tough run - and have done both Doyens, but don't like the Downland 30 miler because it's an out-and-back course.

My next challenge is the Lyke Wake race early next month - 39 miles across the lovely North York Moors, but unknown territory as far as distance is concerned for me.

I've done Beachy many times and the enjoyment depends on the weather and conditions underfoot. Similar amount of climbing, though most of the hills are shorter and the finish is, of course, over the 7 Sisters.

If anyone is coming from the east, we are leaving a car at Barnham station at 8.15 and driving to the start. A friend is then taking us from the finish to Havant station where we will get the train back to Barnham. We have one space left in the car, so anyone wanting a lift should pm me.

• Options
    I did beachy last year and loved it, I wanted to do it again but it has sold out already image.  I will probably be doing Doyen again this year and want something looong to do between, I am thinking about London to Brighton or the High Peak 40. Anybody got any other recommendations?  
  • Options
    I look forward to Saturday. Most of you will probably come flying past at some point during the day. Weather is looking good for this. Not too hot but sunny. This is my third year in a row and has been sunny for each. Not quite as tough as Beachy but a good challenge, some tough climbs & great views.  For those who missed out on Beachy this year there is also Greensands in October which is very highly rated and certainly on my list of races to do. I’ve only done the half (Leith Hill) and doing Midsummer Munro next weekend but the Trionium events are really well organised and would certainly recommend trying any of them. Other marathons I’m considering between now and October are Seaford in August and Farnham Pilgrim in September. Anyone got any thoughts or experience of these? <a href="http://www.seafordmarathon.co.uk/index.htm" title="blocked::http://www.seafordmarathon.co.uk/index.htm">http://www.seafordmarathon.co.uk/index.htm</a> Mr Guy if you fancy something longer and further a field, perhaps you’d consider Lakeland 50 next month. An absolutely amazing event! Good luck for Saturday!
  • Options
    Mr Guy, there's bound to be Beachy places up for grabs as the year goes on. Worth keeping an eye on the thread.
  • Options
    Kent 50's next month too.
  • Options

Hiya !!!!

Is the general consensus still that road shoes will be ok ? I'm in the midlands and we had a huge amount of rain yesterday (it was how I imagine a monsoon to be) and notice that the south is due some rain tomorrow, although I realise that the south downs drain quickly. Weather for the day looks perfect though, can't wait  image 

Any thoughts ??

• Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭

picked up yet another injury and so shall be going slower (if thats possible).

is there any transport from the check points to the end, will i need some taxi money or will i be totally stuffed and have to do a long walk

• Options

Cass - I am intending to pack both sets of shoes and make a decision when I get there.  I think the Downs themselves will drain well but there is also the stuff in the lower woodland to consider too

Also debating taking the camelbak but more as a pack to carry lightweight waterproof and bottle of water.

• Options

I'm stuck with road shoes - I've only done about 3 or 4 miles in my trail shoes and don't think Saturday's the time to test them!!

Was thinking about doing the same re the backpack Bridget.

I know there's a few of us staying at the Good Intent tomorrow - fancy joining forces for a carb fest?

• Options
    I did 13.2 in my off road ones last weekend so should be ok
  • Options

My choice is going to be my road shoes as my off road shoes look exactly like them - In fact they are the same, so I do not have to worry about which to put on image

I am trusting my weather forcasting skills and praying that it will be nice and dry, with no mud as mud and I do not get on!

• Options
    I do have my off off road ones which are still caked in mud from February.  I won't be wearing them image
  • Options

imageahhhh!!!!! ....image I have a PLACE  but I cant run as Im injure is anyone interested???image....

ahhimage

Thanks

redcat

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

i'm the same as BA, only got road shoes so they have to be the ones each time. It's worked so far on some very muddy trail runs, but again likewise I do prefer not to be battling for footing as the running is hard enough anyway!

i should be at Slindon College for 8.15 so hopefully enough time to swap numbers and get out on early start

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I think road shoes will be fine we haven't had that much rain so far in this area (I guess there's always chance of a downpour today but hopefully it will dry quickly! ) I've only done 10 miles in my trails so am going to be wearing my old roads instead!