Options

Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options

Good thought about the Beachy places Ultra Kaz, I’ll keep an eye out. I am surprised it sold out so quickly this year. I also missed out on The New Forest Marathon this year as it has sold out and I was planning on making that my target marathon for the year.  

I think 50 miles might be a bit too much next month the longest I have in one run done so far is 33 at the Marlbough Downs Challenge. But I think I could get up to a 50 miles or so for September.

Regarding shoes, I am going to do it in trail shoes but I think that when it gets wet on the Southdowns you slip about in that chalky mud whatever you have on your feet. I did Beachy last year in road shoes and I finished and I am alive, what more can you want!

• Options

Beachy and New Forest always fill pretty quickly.  Re Kent 50, it's an 8 lap race and you can basically do any distance you want.  You'll get a certificate saying how far you went and in what time, and after a certain point you get a medal too.  This is what it says on the site:

"The challenge consists of 8 laps of a multi-terrain 6.55 mile course (total distance: 52.4 miles to be completed in under 15hrs). Kent 50 and its sister events are not races. They have a simple purpose: to give individuals the opportunity to take on a challenge that tests both mental and physical fortitude in a safe, well organised environment. Race organiser, Mike Inster says "everyone who takes part in the Challenge is a winner no matter how far they get". "

Believe me, I'd done little training (albeit more than this year!) and I managed it.  My aim for the day was to go further than I had before and, if I could, do the whole thing in the 15 hrs.  Did it in 12.31 in the end.

• Options
    Thanks for your shoe thoughts image. See you all tomorrow for some fun and games - I hope there is a chip van at the finish, mmm....
  • Options

hopefully all over this time tomorow !!

I could offer anyone a lift to Petersfield station afterwards - as I go that way on the way home.  Probably leaving around 3-ish.     #1100.  will check for email later ...

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Don't say that, I'm still at the pottering around, deciding what to take stage. 

What happened to the heavy rain we were supposed to have down here? Weather is beginning to look suspiciously perfect (though perhaps not quite so perfect for sitting round eating chips).

Mr Guy  - seconding what UltraK said about Beachy. Although a different person is organising this year they are usually fairly relaxed about number swapping up to the last minute as long as the organisers are informed.

Manfromindia (MFI?)  Beachy is very similar terrain but obviously  the weather is more likely to be variable and they save some of the best hills for last.

• Options

Hello,

I was a bit of a last minute monkey and only entered on Wednesday so haven't got my number/info pack. Email with info never arrived...

Is there anything vital in there that I should know in advance? Hope not as I fear I have missed the boat...

See you tomorrow, I will be the sweaty one with the face the colour of beetroot image

• Options

Hi SS

Your like me a last minute personimage  If you are catching bus be there for 07:00 last bus leaves at 07:30, free car park in race area- show your number, if you park in centre you have to pay. Other than that register at other end and pick up your chip and enjoy.

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

It's feeling warm down here (south of the South Downs).

Enjoy your day everyone. The views should be lovely so there's no reason to go fast!

• Options
    Home.  Am tireder than a tired thing.  Almost, but not quite, last.  Was very tempted to through a hissy fit on a couple of those hills.  I thought Beachy was the hardest course I've done till today!
  • Options

There were a few choice epithets about the hills from other runners who hadn't done it before!  Not another fecking hill was a frequent one image

I didn't realise quite how warm it had been until I remembered it was a good 7 hours since my last wee!  I also forgot suncream and my bath soon revealed the ouchy burnt bits image

Marginally slower than last time but may well be back again

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Lovely views for the first 16 miles or so. Sort of forgot to look after that! image
  • Options
    Bit of a lack of views after 20 though
  • Options

True Bridget.

Apart from the deer and fawn that wandered onto the path in front of me around 24 miles.  They stood there a while - they must have been dazzled by my athletic prowess! image

Not!!

• Options
    Loved it! Those hills didn't stop coming but I do feel very deserving of my glass or three of red tonight image. Heard lots about beachy today, think I'll give that one a go next one round too.
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I've also managed to catch the sun on my top half. Happy to say I was faster than last year though it was still hard. 

No chips though image  I think 2008 must have been a one-off though obviously I'll have to come back next year to check..

• Options
    i bet the fawn was cute Kaz.  I think there were still too many of us for a sight like that when I went through.  I finally got a patch on my own in the last mile and a half.
  • Options
    It was lovely Bridget.  Sometimes there are benefits to being a slow old duffer - not many mind!
  • Options
    What a brill day. So glad I took the plunge and did it. Spectacular views and those hills! But hey, nothing that I wasn't suspecting, it is the South Downs. Don't know why so many people were surprised by them!
  • Options
    I agree Gail, was really worried but it was nice not to be under time pressure and do some walking, chatting and admiring the views. I'll be back next year to check up on the chip situation.
  • Options

Absolutely fabulous run - ideal weather, stunning views, friendly marshalls and runners - what more could you want. Also felt really good until last 2 miles - was absolutely flying between Duncton and Cocking when I was on a real high - has to be better than any drug, not that I've tried them!

Finished in 4.29 which is 15-20 minutes faster than last 2 years and about the same as the first event that started at Whiteways. Wish I'd felt  this good in London!

This is just the best marathon ever image.

• Options
    Well done southdownsman image I was the one by the side of the track at 2 mile point with a very early onset of calf cramp. Managed to recover after some stretching and loosening shoes and finished in 4.49 which I was happy with. It's nice not having the pressure to go all out in a race like this....although would be nice to get a sub 4.30 next year.
    Just need to work out why my calf muscles get so painful in the first few miles.

How did everyone else do?
  • Options
    Gail, having done Beachy three times I wasn't surprised by the hills but to someone who lives and trains in a very flat, urban area it's still a shock to the system!
  • Options

Great course, the hills were as hard as last year and the views just as stunning. Good to chat with southdownsman for a bit, he has got himself a great tan from all that downs running. Surprised at my time as i ran all week as a normal week, including 7miles Friday evening and ran nearly 15mins quicker than last year which wasn't planned as was saving a little for to-days 14miles which wont be as painful as i had been expecting as legs not completely trashed (quads a litle bit though).

Got passed by Stuart Mills at about 18 or 19 miles, incredible as he started an hour later, that guy is exceptional on these trail marathons. Hope everyone who ran had a great day, same time next year.

In my, and my running partners opinion this is a much tougher / hillier course than Beachy, although Beachy may just have it on the stunning views.

• Options
    Southdownsman: Well done you to get in under 4.30 and to cut 20mins off last year, WOW!

Kaly: I saw you and thought 'ouch!' You did really well to get to the end in such good time with that start. I did 4:45 and was sooooo happy with that. Keen to do 4:30 next year!

Ultra: Knew you weren't surprised by the hills. I meant that I heard so many moans about them I wondered if people had actually read all the info available. If people want to run a hilly one you have to train on hills or not moan about it, just get on with it! Here's to next year
  • Options

You had great run SDM - well done image  Good to see you again.

Despite getting over a nasty cold and doing less miles training than ever before for a marathon, I managed 4:03 - best time on this course in 4 times, and won the LV45 category. (proves again my "less is more " theory on training image).  I took a nasty fall at around 8m (chatting too much and not concentrating on the track I think), so am nursing very sore, bruised knees today - but otherwise legs feel fine.

Again a brilliant event, can't fault it in any way - even the weather - warm, but not tooo hot.  That flavoured milk stuff in the goody bag is just the best thing ever after a run like that !

• Options

Definitely best marathon ever.  Was hoping for sub 5:30 and ended up somewhere aroun 4:50 which is only 25 mins slower than my PB on a road marathon, so clearly watching my feet and the views really helped.

I normally walk up the hills and was expecting that everyone else would be running up them, so the walking and talking was great.  Although, I have to admit I was surprised by the last five miles being so hilly!

So keen to come back next year. 

• Options

I did this event yesterday for the first time as part of a relay team (team 33) and had a fantastic day. Thanks CrazyDiamond for your tips - now I know why our team captain allocated me the third leg!  The hills were definitely tough but worth it for the stunning views, the best I've seen on any run.  I felt a bit like a rally driver, jumping in my car and picking up/dropping off team members while navigating my way as quickly as possible to the next checkpoint; coping with the crowded car parks was a little stressful, but it all added to the fun.  This was a great event and I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

• Options
    anyone know when/where results are posted am eager to see official finish time as my watch packed up half way round!!!
  • Options
    Limper - only just discovered that was you with Hippo.
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Didn't see you again SDM because you were just too fast!  Did meet Capricorn and also fell over but my small bruise isn't particularly impressive. 4:06 and very happy with it.image