Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great vid ... nice to see the race after reading about itimage. Not so sure about either of the shorts though image.

10M for me today in 72:48 ... 4s faster than my 10M "race" on Sunday image. It was a sub-LT session, with 8.3M averaging 145 bpm and 7:10/m.

• Options

Thanks for all the enthusiasm guys image talking to people at parkrun this morning it looks like there's going to be healthy turnout (at least in theory).

I really enjoyed watching the race Simon/Phil, your finish looks especially fast Simon. 

Dan, that's looking pretty good! 

Well, didn't get a chance to do the hill race this morning as a problem with parkrun results meant I didn't get away until after 11. Still with really nice, warm & windless conditions at the beach it was a perfect day for a crack at a good time.

Shame my legs disagreed - 6:20's in warmup were a struggle as my legs felt mashed, so I started fully expecting a below-par time. Imagine my surprise to see the first mile tick over in 5'58

I was lying 7th at this point so maintained position until the turn onto the lower boulevard and steadily pulled away, surprised yet again to see 5'59 for mile 2. By the point my legs were utterly mashed and my pace dropped, however 4th and 5th were about 75m ahead but I had the gap pegged, just didn't have enough to close the gap. Legs were very tired but breathing was ok, mile 3 in 6'16 and the final 200m in 34s to finish in 18'44 for 6th place, and a course pb. 

A result I'm very happy with considering how tired I felt the whole way around! Definately a big step in the right direction, I reckon I could have had a crack at a pb today if I was more rested, but I felt like I had speed to play with in the first 2M, and got the distinct impression everything is beginning to fall into place. Winning time today was a pretty speedy 15'57 solo run!

off to do some plyos now.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice work this morning, Duck!
    And  a decent run PRF, too. Went to watch the inaugral Burnage parkrun, and you were mentioned by Peter Samuelson...I think he has drawn level with you in the number of first time events. Pleasant enough course which is predominantly on well-compressed shale, except for the muddy bits. And the steps. May get very wet in winter: I use these trails regulalry (when I am able to run, that is) and one part is often impassable. Finish is on grass, and again that is likely to get rather boggy: it was hardly firm today. Not a particularly quick course: won in 19:00 dead by my watch, but no idea what standard he was. Looking forward to doing this as soon as I am able, which at the current rate of progress will not be until about 2020.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DarolaDarola ✭✭✭

Dr D - pretty good training paces your knocking out. Looks like your WAVA is due a revision, especially as you've just dropped down a place! image

Nice run Duck - I reckon your going to be comfortably in the 17.xx zone with another winter under your belt. 

Cannon Hill pr for me this morning and pretty pleased with my run - there is definitely an element of mental toughness required on these, as although the times are gettting faster the pain isn't getting any less! They are agony!!

Mile 1 - Was psyched up to give it my all as I always do in these, and got close to the line to make sure I didn't lose valuable seconds! 228 starters made it quite busy. At the off I covered the first 200m a lot faster than I have done in any race this year, and then concentrated on trying to hold a good tempo. Places seemed to sort out reasonably quickly and I pretty much ran the first mile with the same group of people around me. Clocked it in 06:27 - which represents the fastest mile Ive covered (training, reps or races) since the comeback, and it felt ok. So I feel my limiting factor is still fitness and not pace yet.

Mile 2 was about trying to maintain the rhythm, and towards the end I was really feeling it - but I've come to expect that now, lost around 4 places and the heart rate was ove 90%. 06:45 for this one and was spurred on by knowing that I was on for sub 21.

Mile 3 as always was just about digging in and wishing it would just bloody end. I made up a couple and lost a couple of places as I desperatley tried not to lose ground on those ahead and I was hating it! I was however concious that I was keeping my pace going, previousley I've felt it noticeably drop off as my batteries run flat. Really pleased to clock this one in 06:49 - less than a 4 second drop from mile 2.

Last bit was clocked at 05:53 pace and I got 2 places back on the run in. A CPB of 20:48 (06:37 average on the garmin), so 3 parkruns, 3 CPBs - and a few more points on the WAVA, although the 70% is still away off. Right now sub 20 feels a mile off, and may be something that will come next year after a winter of hard x-country races.

• Options
    DarolaDarola ✭✭✭

MIDDLE GROUND WAVA LEAGUE (April- July)
    Calculator here: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

84.68% Hilly (5K, 19:20, April)
    83.98% PhilPub (HM, 1:12:48, May)
    83.19% BR (10K, 34:40, June)
    81.22% PRF (10K, 36:37, June)

78.33% forever (5K, 20:54, July)
    77.46% Duck (800m, 2'10.58, May)
    77.30% Simon E (1500m, 4'32.0 July)
    74.50% YD (5K, 17:31, April)
    73.94% Minni (10K, 42:57, April)
    72.88% Mr V (5K, 17:42, July)
    72.73% Ratzer (100m, 14.2, June)
    71.95% Dash (10K, 39:47, April)
    70.10% YoungPup (5K, 19:29, June)

68.70% Darola (5K, 20:48, July)
    68.63% Dr.Dan (5K, 20:40, June)
    66.94% Curly (5k, 22:07, June)
    64.94% CB (5K, 20:25, April)

• Options

Nice going Darola, I think if you reign in that first mile you can find some more time.

No real progress then alehouse?

yesterday;s plyos went well - I'm up to 2.15m for standing long jumps now (10 in total). Also did 5 standing vertical jumps, and 3 sets of single lep hops on each leg. Measured 5.1m for 3 hops on my right leg and 4.7 for my left, which makes sense as I'm right-foot dominant.

9M today which was pretty windy.

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Great to see everyone has been keeping up the good training/racing.

Special mention (based on my infrequent check-ins) goes to forever & Darola for their sub 21 5ks, to Chubbybloke for keeping up the running and sounding like his mojo is returning, to Phil & Simon for a fun race report and video, and to prf for his mental sounding schedule of races (how many in how many days?!)

I had a really busy week last week, and I think my long run last weekend took a bit too much out of me, as I have struggled last week with my mileage. However, I managed to roughly stick to my schedule, despite feeling fairly heavy legged and achy.

This morning was the Down Tow Up Flow half, which I did in 1hr 37, so average pace of 07:30/mile. This is roughly what I was hoping to achieve, so overall I'm happy, but my pacing was pants..... First 3 miles were under 07:00/mile, I got to 10 miles in just under 72mins, and then the wheels fell off a little bit.....

However, I got to meet Curly at the start line, which was nice - the sun was shining throughout the race - the mud wasn't as bad as it might have been, and best of all I've now refuelled with a lovely barbecue and a couple of ice cold beersimage

YP
  • Options

Looks like a day for meeting internet stragers or do I mean strangersimage

YP glad the sun shone for you and a solid effort for sure.

Well done Darola. If you're like me you'll be glad to have that one in the bag image

So who won the wava contest? Who else but Mr prf image Who got a pb and their higest wava ever?

Fun day meeting the Yorkshire trio and loved the Dereham 5k.

Really wasn't sure what to expect after racing on Wednesday and really having to work for my pb. Chip timed event which is always a bonus, perfect weather and very good two lapped course.

Managed to go off at a sensible pace and run splits of 6.40, 6.39, 6.45 and last bit at 5.43 to give me a new pb of 20.41 and my best wava yet of 79.15.

I finally feel I am learining how to pace the 5k and am starting to enjoy them image

Oh and the sun is shining image

• Options

MIDDLE GROUND WAVA LEAGUE (April- July)
    Calculator here: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

84.68% Hilly (5K, 19:20, April)
    83.98% PhilPub (HM, 1:12:48, May)
    83.19% BR (10K, 34:40, June)
    81.22% PRF (10K, 36:37, June)

79.15% forever (5K, 20:41, July)
    77.46% Duck (800m, 2'10.58, May)
    77.30% Simon E (1500m, 4'32.0 July)
    74.50% YD (5K, 17:31, April)
    73.94% Minni (10K, 42:57, April)
    72.88% Mr V (5K, 17:42, July)
    72.73% Ratzer (100m, 14.2, June)
    71.95% Dash (10K, 39:47, April)
    70.10% YoungPup (5K, 19:29, June)

68.70% Darola (5K, 20:48, July)
    68.63% Dr.Dan (5K, 20:40, June)
    66.94% Curly (5k, 22:07, June)
    64.94% CB (5K, 20:25, April)

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done, Forever! Did you get a county medal? Spotted the results and looks like a good run from both Barnsley Lads!

Duck: NO. (i.e. no progress, and not happy! Have nursed this injury since last October, and then not run since Jan 5th. Frustrating is not the word!)

Yes, would have been a lovely day for a pleasant run in the countryside!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Thanks Alehouse. A county silver image but as always for County championships in Norfolk not a particularly high standard field. Fab little race though.

Sorry to hear of your continued battle with the achilles image

And Tom if you're lurking prf doesn't disappointimage 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done forever and nice to see you creeping well up that list.  80% is calling.... image

I'm still lurking but my summer of 5 & 10ks is a bit like the actual summer - hasn't really happened yet.  I've had a bit of a sore calf going on, then an ear thing, too many hangovers and no specific training. image  I've got a HM this weekend, which should be interesting.

Well done to all the racers - or rather the few who seem to race everyday!  It is inspiring to read.  I think I need to move.  Not enough races here! image  Its a 100 mile round trip to do a 5k!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Thought i make one of my rare posts

Forever great time  you are zooming and yes close to that 80% Sure it won't be long

Minni where are you? I have family down in Torquay and i have looked at races in the area not much in the scope of races or parkruns Well there are races but they seem to be of a longer and/or off road events

Just completed 2 weeks of 30 miles increasing mileage the Jack Daniels way so hold it there for another 2 weeks before increasing again

parkrun on Saturday - My first even though i registered a long time ago

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Morning! Interesting weekend.

Saturday we sauntered off to Roundshaw parkrun's 3rd birthday and had a nice run that wasnt too straining in 24:51. Then we ate cake and sauntered off to a park in Croydon for some picnic and rounders.

During the game I dived in for the ball as someone was running around and my the back of head made some rather strong contact with the guys knee. A few queasy sick moments and 5 minutes with an ice pack sitting down and I seemed to be okay. A bit stiff in the neck and arms though and a nice lump on the noggin too.

Anyway, yesterday we got up and travelled to UPTF and met YP - How many Curlys had you approached when you lucked out image Great running by the way - it was hot and tough course I think.

I ran the first 3 miles with Magpie, very comfortable at 7:47 pace, was just thinking about keeping it there when suddenly the back of my head got this creeping ache. By mile 4 (still on 7:47 pace) it had become awful and all down my neck and arms and in my teeth. Ouch. Being a point to point race there is no chance to bail out so I knew I would have to slow to continue. I stopped for a few minutes and let everything ease off, cool down and then restarted with a nice gingerly jog. I was able to run again, but every time I got too warm it would start again so I kept the pace overall pretty easy. Time was 1:51:42 I think, so a decent training session in the heat at least. Magpie ran 1:42:14 which is bang on the sort of time I was looking for. Not disappointed though, I will just carry it through till 4th and that is the first half I have even run for ages in a race so all good epxerience - I didnt do my usual going off too fast pace at the start so I am getting better on that score.

I still have a headache/stiff muscles today - but I know not to book races when I have the yearly rounders match now image

Nice pb Forever image

Well done Duck on the course pb even with tired legs.

Which HM are you doing Minni?

Good luck with the parkrun Pammie!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great 5Ks from Duck, Darola, forever and YPup.

Darola wrote (see)
    Dr D - pretty good training paces your knocking out. Looks like your WAVA is due a revision, especially as you've just dropped down a place! image

That be fighting talk, that be image! Just a matter of getting to a race and I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortably back in the 70s again, so enjoy it while you can image! MrV is th target middle grounderimage as a 5K PB would conveniently give me 73.09%. But I'm not at PB level yet ... and I have a triathlon to get out of the way first.

So, 9 hours on the beach on Saturday, mainly eatingimage but with a bit of chilly sea swim thrown inimage ... then up at 6am for a 16.3M run on Sunday morning. First 10M was at a super-low 63% maxHR (10/m) and then I made the next 5M progressive ... came out as 9:06/m(68%), 8:47/m(70%), 8:06/m(73%), 7:46/m(76%), 7:13/m(81%), and then a recovery jog back home. Longest run of the year but felt comfortable throughout and enjoyed the progressive bit.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Pammie - I'm in the far north east corner of England, not far from the Border and in a rural location.  Lots of fell and show races but not many road races, although more are popping up.  I guess the fell races replace the 5k and 10ks around here.

Curly  - its the Dundee half.  A round trip of 240 miles for me!  But I haven't raced a proper HM since last September so really need to get one in.   I'm not really feeling that fit and hope to finish in around 1:35.  My real aim is to try and get under 1:30 at either the GNR or GER (more likely the GER).   Which marathon are you training for?  I'm missing marathon training. image

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Brighton but its ages away. I may *subject to Coach M saying yes* do another trail marathon in a month or two just for the stamina benefits and then do Seville in Feb as a club piss up.

The reason for doing a few more is I want to race Brighton and I think its over optimistic to aim to do that when I have only covered the distance twice so a couple of run but not flat out raced ones will be a nice way of getting used to 26.2, I should get a pb in Seville anyway as its very soft so that would also take some of the pressure off - I think going out for a full hour off my time might be a recipe for disaster...

Maybe. Need to think about it somemore first.

GER is good by all accounts - I am doing Gosport if you need a later one after that too...very flat and fast but prone to wind.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm with you on the getting used to the 26.2 miles.  Sometimes when we talk 'marathon' all the time we almost forget how far it is!  I think the only downside is the recovery afterwards because no matter how slow you do them you've still done the distance.  However, you really build up the mental strength, which accounts for a good bit of marathon running.  I missed my autumn marathon last year so London was the first one in 12 months and I really felt the distance on the day having not done it for so long.  I'm doing one as a training run this October.

I have relations down the Gosport way but think I'll probably do the Brass Monkey again in January.  Done it twice and hated it both times so maybe third time lucky!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Nice racing all,  good to see the steady flow of PBs still coming in.

alehouse - Keep the faith. Hope you can get back to it before too long.

Curly - oofyah! Sounds like a strangely fun and eventful weekend.  I try to avoid sports involving bats or balls these days.  Too dangerous!

Pammie - enjoy popping your parkrun cherry.

Dan - excellent progressive run, good picking up after such long mileage.

Minni - GER's gonna be mega-quick this year, trust me.  image

My head's well frazzled this morning.  The weekend started off all exercise crazy with another couple of doubles Friday (gym/10M run) and Saturday (track cycling/10M run), then a Sunday run before breakfast imageimage... 7M incl. 4M progressive tempo: 5:47, 5:42, 5:39, 5:29. That woke me up... then it all went downhill. Spent the day at the Oval watching England get pulverised by South Africa.  Actually the sporting highlights were taking 20 minutes out from the cricket to watch the closing stages of the Tour on the telly in the pavilion - GO ON CAV!!! - and then the end of the golf.  Being at an all day cricket match tends to involve drinking lots of ale and eating bad food, so by the time I finished off the day meeting some running club buddies in the pub, I'd drunk a lot of ale and eaten a lot of bad food.

Still, weather's nice, eh!  image

• Options

Curly you do seem to be prone to bad luck image How is the head today? A solid run nevertheless. I wouldn't worry about only having covered the marathon distance twice Curly. VLM this year was only my third time over the distance.

Minni don't you have any parkruns near you?

Good luck with your parkrun Pammie. Enjoy!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

forever -  the closest one is 50 miles away.  I have toyed with the idea of trying to set one up around here and have spoken to a few others who may be interested too.  However, I know I would end up far too involved and I really don't have the time. 

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Curly45 wrote (see)

Anyway, yesterday we got up and travelled to UPTF and met YP - How many Curlys had you approached when you lucked out image Great running by the way - it was hot and tough course I think.

Curly - you were the first, although I had probably spent too much time noticing women with curly hair and then looking at their chest to see if they were wearing a Ranelagh Harriers topimage

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Curly - I think long trail events would be excellent prep, whether they be actual marathon length or 20m+.  I found recovery after Beachy Head a lot easier than either of the flat/road marathons I've done, I think mainly down to the varying terrain, meaning less incessant pounding of the same old muscles all the time.  So you'll be able to recover that bit quicker and crack on with training for the main event.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    YoungPup wrote (see)
    Curly45 wrote (see)

Curly - you were the first, although I had probably spent too much time noticing women with curly hair and then looking at their chest to see if they were wearing a Ranelagh Harriers topimage

Ha ha ha brilliant! Mine was half hidden by the number. I got called out at the end as a Ranelagh Warrior. Awesome image

Phil I certainly didnt find the recovery from the first one too much of an issue. A few light days but nothing crazy. I was thinking about a few 20+ milers as part of similar events too because Brighton is not flat and has an unusual camber around the half way mark so I do need to work on that.

Great weekend of running by you - that progressive is tasty.

I meant to ask - cycling seems to be doing something odd to me in terms of aerobic benefit. I am finding on easy runs now I can run at 8:50 mins/mile without breaking a sweat or breathing at all. Apart from Tuesdays I am doing all 3 miles at a time at about 12-13mph. Would that be enough (around 50 miles a week all low gear high cadence) to have this effect or is it just co-incidence from 3 weeks of consistent training?

I'm not complaining by the way. Just wondering if I do a bit more cycling then this would improve some more? Lungs has always been my limiting factor so this oculd certainly be a useful development.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Photos are out from yesterday! Usual comedy ones, but am liking this one:
    http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/a.tlx?k=2uvzhin&pictureid=18760006

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Curly45 wrote (see)
    I meant to ask - cycling seems to be doing something odd to me in terms of aerobic benefit. I am finding on easy runs now I can run at 8:50 mins/mile without breaking a sweat or breathing at all. Apart from Tuesdays I am doing all 3 miles at a time at about 12-13mph. Would that be enough (around 50 miles a week all low gear high cadence) to have this effect or is it just co-incidence from 3 weeks of consistent training?

I'm not complaining by the way. Just wondering if I do a bit more cycling then this would improve some more? Lungs has always been my limiting factor so this oculd certainly be a useful development.

That's a difficult one.  On the one hand, I would guess that 3 miles here and there wouldn't have much of an effect, but if your cycling fitness is much worse than your running fitness, maybe there is more of an aerobic stimulus.  Certainly when I started getting back into running again this year, what struck me most was the HR/pace ratio for easy runs, compared to when I was just running previously, and I put this down to the cycling base.

Actually 50mpw does add up, and you could probably equate it to additional recovery miles.  Also talking about lungs, perceived effort is difficult to compare between running and cycling because different systems are being stretched in different ways (in my experience...), e.g. I could probably hit the same HR by either (a) running quite fast on the flat or (b) cycling up a hill, but during (a) my breathing will be under control with my legs taking more damage, and during (b) my breathing would reach its limit more quickly, with my legs being spared.  So maybe there is a particular benefit to the cardio system without the muscle damage/recovery?

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Some food for thought. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know my experiment of one results image

(my cycling fitness is basically non existant so yes a very low base!)

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I find bike commuting (5 mile each way, with one big hill in each direction) adds to the easy/recovery/filler-miles of running ... it defintely helps my running but doesn't make me much of a cyclist. I sometimes wonder whether I could just do my LSR and two sessions, and use cycling (more than I do now) for all the rest of my training.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Nice pic BTW.  I see focus, sense of purpose, unflustered, red bits on the shoes... but most importantly, both feet in the air.  image

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

They are pink shoes (seemingly the ONLY available colour for women most of the time!)