Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options

current forecast

rain max 17 deg

This is getting silly now, its different every day!

Im with you Nick, ive never used headphones. I like knowing whats going on around me.

DL77 - I ran the 1/2 last year and it was hot. I reckon the only danger with rain is the greenway. It would probably puddle there, but dont think it would become a mud fest.

• Options
    good news is the wind is expected to be from the south south west, a tail wind for the last 10km!
  • Options
    Peter Hibberd wrote (see)
    good news is the wind is expected to be from the south south west, a tail wind for the last 10km!
    and downhll too!
  • Options

Thanks for the input, I know some of these issues can be controversial I just wanted to check there were no draconian measures in place. I'll keep mine in reserve for the trickier later section.

Weather be damned as we can't do anything about it, so come on Sunday and let get this thing going!

• Options
    David Lewis 77 - 2011miles.com wrote (see)
    Also, weather for Saturday in Stratford is predicted to be heavy rain... Does any of the course get soggy...?

Race is Sunday no?Sorry to ask I have a habit of getting dates wrong, once had to drive over 100 miles at 3 in the morning to get to an exam when I was at university image

• Options

It is Sunday, I think the poster was just saying there may be water on the ground - but the ground is that dry that i would imgine any rain will be gone by Sunday unless it also rains on sunday.

Taper madness is setting in truly. 

• Options

Sorry, wasn't trying to confuse.... The 5-day forecast on the BBC had the weather for Saturday as heavy rain and i was wondering how the course would be affected...?

Now that it's only 5 days away the BBC has admitted as I suspected that it will rain both days. Race day (Sunday) could be fun!!

I only ran on Sunday morning, and taper is so SO boring... am off to cinema tonight to stem the boredom, and then swimming during the day tomorrow.

Would really like a few beers too... hmmm must resist!! 

• Options
    3 - 4 miles for me tomorrow.  Roll on Sunday.  Really looking forward to it whatever the weather.
  • Options
    I think the Greenway will be much faster  if it has had some rain on it the day or so before.  I was worrying that the surface might have got  quite dusty 
  • Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Hello all it's getting cower now and worthwhile studying weather, I can Cope with hot, or warm or drizzle, very windy isn't that comfy - just an effort when it's against you, heavy rain is just miserable to run in, of my 15 marathons only Berlin 2010 was wet for me most of the way.
    Re iPod etc - yes must admit I'll take mine - but as others have said it's only as distration if needed, used fir last six miles at a ver hot Llanelli a month ago, but didn't use at all for Startford last year.
    Yes tapering is a pain, I went for a really enjoyable 4 miler last night mainly flat with 2 miles under 9 min miling - fast for me. I'll probably have a beer tomorrow night as I'm off to the Footy - a tense play off first leg between Wrexham and Luton in Blue square conference ;-(
    Also distracted as I m running a seminar of Friday - so marathon fever really kicks in for me at 4 pm Friday.
    Happy tapering folks
    May see you Sunday blue Buckley runners vest or T with Rob on front & welsh dragon cap, greying beard - looking tired & aiming for 9min 40/ mile for 4:15 finish - can dream image
  • Options
    wrexhamrob wrote (see)
    I'm off to the Footy - a tense play off first leg between Wrexham and Luton in Blue square conference ;-(
    Footy is my Saturday plan, Wycombe versus Southend, just need to match Shrewsbury and it is guaranteed promotion back to league 1 for another yo-yo season. Happy days!
  • Options

Philip I wish - I'm a  Bradford City fan and even by our current standards this has been a poor one.

Last run before Saturday last night - an easy four.  Had a nice confidence boosting five miler on Tuesday with the middle 3 at Marathon Pace, all felt comfortable so pleased with that.

Bring on the big day (no Wills not yours - it's passed already), and lets all have a cracker!

J

• Options
    David Lewis 77 - 2011miles.com wrote (see)

Sorry, wasn't trying to confuse.... The 5-day forecast on the BBC had the weather for Saturday as heavy rain and i was wondering how the course would be affected...?

Now that it's only 5 days away the BBC has admitted as I suspected that it will rain both days. Race day (Sunday) could be fun!!

I only ran on Sunday morning, and taper is so SO boring... am off to cinema tonight to stem the boredom, and then swimming during the day tomorrow.

Would really like a few beers too... hmmm must resist!! 

Ah ok, I get you. Far too many beers last night to distract from the taper. Feeling it now, wish I had resisted. Had a quick look at your blog, hell of an effort you and your brother are putting in there

Lincoln City fan here...not looking forward to Saturday one bit

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Jaseyshef, I can't remember us having a worse season on the field, not even the relegation years have been this bad.

Pleased to see the Ginger God doing well at Motherwell, he'll be back one day.

• Options
    Jaseyshef wrote (see)

Philip I wish - I'm a  Bradford City fan and even by our current standards this has been a poor one.

Mid table is OK.

Tom1759 wrote (see)

Definitely squeaky botty time. Goal difference is against you so a win is needed, draw leaves you vulnerable if Barnet win.

• Options
    Carbs...and more carbs! Not sure how much pasta and rice I can take in the next couple of days!
  • Options

I'm sure you all agree...

Tapering is $H1T!

Ran 5  miles last night and had to slow myself down. Felt like I'd done my warm up and was just getting started and then stopped.

Looking forwad to MY FIRST marathon on sunday. BRING IT ON!

• Options
    Good luck for your first M Dave.  Whatever happens it'll be a PB.
  • Options
    Does anyone know whether the water is provided in bottles now?  I think it was in cups when i did it 7 years ago. 
  • Options
    I think it is bottles and cups.
  • Options
    does anyone know how much the t-shirts are going to be ?
  • Options

I was wondering about the price of tshirts too buck79.  Weather's looking good, better than the hail that was forcast earlier in the week!

• Options

Too late to worry about anything but parking now!

Good luck all.

• Options

My first marathon on Sunday.

Unfortunately having real crisis of confidence. Training was great until 3 weeks ago. Plenty of long runs done (20miles in 2:45) , but had to miss a week training due to work commitments.

Then went on my hols, but kept up the training on the hotel treadmill, managing to keep up my taper. I have did a few minor runs this week since coming back from my hols, but I am so sore and struggling a bit.

Hopefully, nice soak in the tub on Saturday will do the trick and I get a good run on Sunday.

Any advice?

• Options

yeah hopefully that won't be too bad GTC.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Tom1759 wrote (see)

Definitely squeaky botty time. Goal difference is against you so a win is needed, draw leaves you vulnerable if Barnet win.

yeah, come five o'clock tomorrow I'll be a nervous wreck no matter what happens. I always said (when I moved away) that I'd return and watch them week in week out if they ever got relegated, feel like I'm tempting fate now

• Options

Brian

Just accept you are going to be a bag of nerves between now and sunday - embrace it and enjoy. You will remember it for a long time. Good luck with your first and as long as you finish then you have a pb.

• Options

Great stuff just seen the updated weather forecast it seems to have been getting better every day this week. So well see tomorrow I guess the only downside is its looking like its going to be pretty windy.

Actually just realised I was looking at mondays forecast its not looking too great for tomorrow.

Brian I wouldnt worry too much just have a bit of a light stretch and a soak. This week I think its mental but I keep feeling new aches and pains all over hopefully it will all be good tomorrow though.

• Options

Good luck everyone for tomorrow.

I keep telling myself to trust in the training!!!! This taper madness is just that.. Madness.

Todays plan is to get everything organised ie kit out ready, food ect. I will focus on plenty of positive attitude and  throw away the negative thoughts that have creeped in over the last week or so.

Tootaloo for now