Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

It didn't go at all! I cut my foot quite badly at the end of the week and was hobbling around over the weekend (and still am a little bit now). Pretty painful as it was on the arch of my foot every time i took a step it opened the cut back up. I tried to tape it up quite tight on friday night in a bid to run on saturday but no luck!

Annoying as i felt really good and was looking forward to it. I see the top the came in at around 3 hours which i think i could have done, but in the greater scheme of things its no big deal. I have another ultra lined up for end of July so will just concentrate on training for that now, a couple more days of cycling and then will get back running.

Nice one, had you cracked the 2 hour mark before or was that your first time under it?! a nice milestone. Good luck tomorrow and drop an update on here.

• Options

hi,

No, that was my second half, first one took me 2hrs 12mins..... 

Just made the PB at 5k but time not under 25mins as hoped , still 25:48 is a PB  just have to keep trying! 

• Options

Hi All,

Am such an idiot...I posted for the first time on here in ages, and then promptly forgot to look at the replies!

Squeakz - Sounds like I'm going to sign me and my brother up for the Grim then! Is it super hilly?

Miggito - Hi! Paris was awesome! I went 48 hours after doing the Marathon and ended up doing so much walking. I think it was the best thing I did booking a trip away as I kept my legs moving. I think we averaged walking 3-4 miles a day!

In other news I did my first race since London yesterday. I did the Llanelli 10K. Did it in 66 mins. No way near my PB but am happy with it. Was just good to be back doing a race.  I think I'm going to do my local Cardiff Half in October. Anyone else thinking of it?

Hope you are all well.

I WILL check back more often!

PJ x

• Options

Hi all,

I thought I'd check back in as I haven't been on for a while. I've joined a running club!!!! Whitt whoo!!!

I thought it might be a bit intimidating but they are acrtually a really nice bunch of people - with woiode ranging abilities. I also notice how I can run much faster in a group than I can alone and it seems easier too as I'm usually chatting away. I ran my first 5k at the weekend in just over 24mins so I was pleased with that. It was much harder than I thought it would be though.

Well done on your races Alison and Plod and I'm sorry about your cut foot WiB - hope it heals soon!!

Chris thanks for posting the name of that book. I've entered another marathon in October (hmmm - slightly regretting that now - entered on the back of my post London euphoria!!) so I might try a similiar method.

And lots of luck to Miggitto - whose baby must be due round about now. How exciting - hope it all goes well and that you don't have too many sleepless nights!!!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    All sorted now! just took a few days to let it heal properly before I could run again. unfortunately I missed a race a wanted to do!

Which club have you joined? It made a big difference to my running through doing proper structured training sessions and advice from experienced people. Plenty of people with lots of experience gained from a lot of races!

What marathon have you entered for Oct? Do you think you will improve on your time at London? I have a couple of races lined up, one for July in the Lake District, Paras 10 race in Sept and another in Oct at Caesars Camp.
  • Options

Just did the three peaks, nothing really to report or exciting. Simply not the kind of challenge im looking for, seemed to be all in control.

Im now running in merrell trail goves which are the best shoes I have ever had, I love them more than my Newtons, yep they are that good.
    Im also doing body balance and yoga to improve my flexibility and core strength.

Plod_Jones :- The grim is a little hilly, but they are short and not really painful. Its an incredible event and so much fun. I will do that as many times as I can.

• Options
    u doin it this year then???????
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Squeakz - I have done the 3 peaks and although I really enjoyed the running part of it, the driving bit was frustrating. We completed it as a pair and just shared the driving between each location. In termsof a challenge it is not very tough either in my opinion, we came in with about 6 hours to spare. The worst part was getting to the top of Snowdon and seeing all the slack people who had taken the train to the top!

I supported someone one a Bob Graham round attempt last month, that is an amazing challenge and one that is high on my list to complete in the next 12 months or so.

Was looking at doing the Grim this year myself, do you really rate it that highly? I have not done it before but have some long and tough races lined up so doing a short and easy one where i can move a bit faster will be good for the legs!

• Options

I`m in for the Grim.....do i see a first timers group developing here!!!???

i think it looks like fun altho i may not be thinking that in December!

• Options

I'm most certainly doing the Grim this year, its a great event, totally pointless but fun. I must admit you get slightly cold in the mud and water though but that just encourages you to move faster.

The thing I really like about the Grim is its a mental strength thing for me, I spent half my time wondering why the hell I was doing this and thinking about pulling out, going round I hate every moment of it simply because I do not enjoy being cold or wet, let alone up to my knees in mud.
    However soon as I'm finished I'm thinking about next year.

The course itself is not exactly hard, but the wet sticky clay mud makes it hard to run in, you may be a very fast runner but unless you have stamina and strength to pull your feet from the mud you will not go well.
    I also think the camaraderie of the event is great, when you fall in the mud 20 people stop to help you, simply because they know you will be doing the same for them five minutes later.

It's horrible, yet it's fun at the same time.
    I do not really view it as a running event simply cause you can not be competitive in it, but in terms of fun and a sense of achievement I love it

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Morning all image

Meant to be back before now but time has not been on my side recently!

We had a beautiful baby boy on the 3rd July  and he is absolutely perfect! He's starting to have quite an impact on my running though and doubt I will be in top shape for this half Marathon in September image

Never mind, it's great to have another baby in the house and Mrs Miggito doing very well too so I couldn't be happier image

I had a wee look at the Grim - looks fun so good luck to all who are going for it!

Hope everyone is well and keeping fit - looking forward to October to see if I've been successful in the ballot image

See you around guys!

• Options

Crikey Migitto
    I was begining to think your new little 'wallet drainer' was not going to turn up at all image
    what did you call him?

Glad you and the OH are keeping well, and do not worry about the Marathon it will take care of itself, you have more important things to focus on than that at the moment.

Look after each other.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Just entered the Grim... should be a bit of a fun way to end the year!
  • Options

Congrats Miggito....definitely a boyz house then now!!! Name!!??

You`ll get back into your running when you find out youre IN again!!

WIB/Squeakz...i`m doin grim on the sunday with a friend...i was looking at it as a bit of fun!!!!! well afterwards anyway. I know it should be boys and mud but i liked the idea of laughing/crying whilst running, falling in the cold mud rather than looking at a time...i must be mad!!

Now gonna tell the facebookers youre back in town Miggito!!!!image

• Options

Miggito - congratulations on the birth of your baby boy.  I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering if you'd had the baby yet  image

Hello everyone ... good to read that people are well and looking to new challenges.  I'm doing the Adidas Thunder Run next weekend, which I'm really looking forward to and nervous about in equal measure (sound familiar, lol  image).  It's a 24 hour endurance run ... 24 hours of running round a 10k loop of fields, trails etc.  I'm in a group of 5, so will just be running 10k every 5th hour-ish.  It's kind of like a Glastonbury for runners (minus the live music).

There are some crazies who actually enter the event as solo runners!  image

It was something I'd hoped to do next year but someone had to drop out through injury so I was asked if I would like to take their place and stupidly I said yes.

I'm even missing the opportunity of going to see Jedward twice next week to take part, so that shows you how keen I am to do this  image.

Take care.

• Options
    Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mr & Mrs Miggito!!!! image Fab news to hear, really chuffed for you xxx

Lovely to see people still posting in here and the updates for people.

I'm now in a run club but struggle with 3 miles twice a week as hip muscle seizes up but on I go.

Shielsy, I'm in the Thunder run!!!!! We have a group of 8 of us but it looks mainly like it'll be a camping trip as half of us are injured lol image Look out for my zebra tent...although I am sure there will be a few of those! If you see a man in a deer stalker hat, that's Pio he's in my group..

Have fun everyone image xxx
  • Options

lots of congrats to the Miggitos.

Lovely to dip back in here and see peeps stuff. Am in wete and cold France at mo and had flu stuff for 2 weeks. Feeling very unfit and fat so all systems go next week on return.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Shielsy, I'm in the Thunder run!!!!! We have a group of 8 of us but it looks mainly like it'll be a camping trip as half of us are injured lol image Look out for my zebra tent...although I am sure there will be a few of those! If you see a man in a deer stalker hat, that's Pio he's in my group.. Have fun everyone image xxx
    Really?  Cool! image.  I'll look out for you - you never know, we might both find ourselves waiting in the switchover place at 3am, waiting for our respective team mates.  Did you have to buy a headtorch?
  • Options
    Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭
    Haven't got one yet, still a few things on the list to buy. Really looking froward to it as we aren't taking it serious, just a bit of fun so we'll be bottom of the list in lap amounts image
  • Options

Congrats Miggito! Brill news!

Sounds like everyone has got some exciting plans.  I'm plodding along, just about managing to get out three times a week.  Have entered a half in September but slightly lacking in motivation at the moment, so don't think it will go particularly well!  Might go trainer shopping tomorrow in an attempt to regain some enthusiasm!

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thanks for all the nice messages image Am really quite touched, nice to know everyone was thinking of us! Sorry, I should have put a wee bit more info on the first message but his name is Finlay Ross Duncan and he weighed in at a hefty 10lb 4! What's even more extraordinary is that Mrs M popped him out naturally and she's a skinny malinky! Lol, sorry, not sure if you use that phrase south of the border but let's just say she's not fat! His big brother has really taken to him as well so it really is a wonderful time!

Squeakz, funnily enough the 1/2 marathon is quite high up on my priority list at the moment image - must get that sub 1.40!!!image I did get up at 530 this morning to go for my run and discovered Mrs M had been up for a few hours so had to skip the run and feed instead! You're right though, I know what I would rather be doing. Just watching his wee face staring into mine just melts me! I'll still go for my run tonight though image

It's great to read everyone is still doing stuff and I enjoy reading about all these things that are going on with all you lot! Never heard of the Thunder Run before but sounds pretty mental - good luck with that one Shielsy and Miss K!  

Chris / Little N, good to see you're still keeping it in there, I find it really hard to get into unless I have somehting to "aim for" so hope your mojos return!

MM - thanks for putting the word out for me!  

Keep well everyone image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Shielsy/Miss Knees - Just looked on the Thunder Run site. It looks great! good luck to both of you and enjoy it image I am racing in the lake district all weekend but might put it on my list to get a team together for that next summer... If i try and do everything that I want to do in 2012 it will be a none stop year!
  • Options

Well done Miggito - that's really great news and I'm really pleased for you. How's your elder child taking to a new baby brother? What a lovely name too. I can't believe he was over 10lb though!!! Wow!!

WiB - apologies I meant to reply to you ages ago but I haven't been on for a while. I've joined the Knavesmire Harriers in York. They're a really great bunch but I haven't been out with them for a few weeks. I seriously doubt I'll better my London time in Dublin unless I get rid of my current lazy streak. I've got the JaneTomlinson 10k this weekend so HOPEFULLY that will ping me into action again.

Thunder run? Switch overs at 3am? Head torches? I don't think it's for me- I like my sleep far too much!!

Great to see so many on here again...

• Options
    NSGNR - well done on joining a club ... I know someone from the Knavesmire Harriers, she's called Viv. She used to post a lot on the GNR thread but not so much now, but I've met her in 'real life' a few times. If you know who I mean, say Hi to her.

WiB ... I'll report back on what the Thunder Run is like. I'm really excited, but I think that's more to do with the camping and camaraderie than the actual running, lol.
  • Options

Sheilsy - I've met quite a few people but I am absolutely hopeless with names so I'm not sure if I've met her or not!! The name sounds familiar so I'll look out for her. It's a small world!!

• Options

Thunder Run Race Report

I know I said I'd report back on this event ... but unfortunately things didn't go exactly to plan.

Got there on Friday afternoon, pitched my tent, went to the car to get my stuff, jumped over a teensy guy rope, landed badly, went over on my ankle, heard a snapping sound, collapsed in agony .... game over, before I'd ran a single step! image

Other people from my team tried to remain positive, telling me that a night's rest would sort it out, and that I didn't technically have to run a lap (10k) until Sunday but I think they were in denial as my ankle was rapidly swelling and turning purple.

My OH came for my yesterday afternoon to take me home (trying to hobble to the portaloos and catering tent isn't much fun when you're in pain) just as the event was kicking off.  I was totally gutted - it was a bit like seeing all your friends opening their Christmas toys when you've just been told you're getting nowt!

Hospital says I've just badly sprained it, but I can't walk on it at all.  I really hope this doesn't mean I'm not doing the GNR either.

Obviously I never managed to take a walk around to see if I could see Miss Knees and her zebra tent, but I hope she had a good time, I'm sure she would have done.

• Options
    Shielsy image I'm absolutely gutted for you image So sorry luv, hope you fix soon and get right back on track. Were you on Mr K's team?!?! I saw him over at the start and had a chat!! image

Feel bad talking about it now image But it was a fab, tough amazing event. Will be back next year for sure. Managed three laps in our team of 8 and it's a nightmare not getting enough sleep and having to run at ridiculous hours but all adds to life's colours and experiences.

• Options
    Don't be daft Miss Knees - talk about it in as much detail as you want ... I like hearing reports about it, no matter how disappointed I was (and I was REALLY disappointed!)

Well done on the 3 laps ... did you run at night? Everyone who's done it before says that's their most favourite bit.

Yes, I know Mr K very well. I wasn't on his team, but I know him through the GNR and his team and our team are all friends and we were all pitched together.

I'd love to say I'd do it next year, but you know what it's like when you're injured, you can't envisage ever feeling properly fit again.

Is your hip all better now?
  • Options
    I did indeed do a night run, 11pm shift and one of the weirdest things I've done image I didn't trust my eyes half the time and ran most of it with my hands out ready to fall so running like a proper numpty girl lol. Learnt a definite trick is to not get a basic head lamp, get a decent one! Some people had proper flood lights on their head and I was very envious image

Shame I didn't know about you knowing Mr K, I would have come and said hello image You might have already left by then though, can't remember what time it was. I've met him in the pub after the London Bupa 10k a couple of times image

Was an experience and a half, would actually do it in a smaller team next time (maybe....) so that we get more runs in and add to the whole experience. All depends on fitness at the time, we'll see. Hip didn't actually hurt AT ALL!! First lap I felt it at 6k and 8k but didn't do what it normally does on a three miler. I did take paracetamol before each of my turns but I am starting to think it's a psychosomatic thing. Will see what happens on my next run tonight or Wednesday.

Worse thing is I got a badly sun burnt neck as wasn't expecting that much sun!! The toughest lap was the first one in the midday heat. Favourite was my last lap at 5am, beautiful time of the day and used to it from the marathon training.

Camping with great people all sharing the same passion is amazing. So many cool people on the route that you talk to and everyone is so friendly. Roll on next year....

• Options
    Oh, I can well imagine how lovely it must've been running at 5am in those surroundings ... I hobbled to the toilet at 5am on the Saturday morning and it was just beautiful.