Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options

Sorry all, was in a meeting as I was writing posts - hence the lack of info! Just got a bit excited - I never "win" anything!!

First things first - Doddy, I'm sorry again, I know you were wanting to get another crack at London to improve on this year but your time will come, just keep up the running and you'll get your chance.

However Sandra, yes - I am in!! Would you believe it, I never thought I would get a chance but hey ho there you go image. In saying that I have no intention of running it next year (apologies to anyone who thinks I have "nicked" their place) and never did but I did state that a few months ago if anyone wants to check back image  this year was an amazing experience, first Marathon, raised thousands of pounds for charity etc etc but as you know I feel if I was 100% fit I could have done so much better and I have now a score to settle with the course! I am already registered to run Edinburgh next year in May and will defer my London place until 2013. Again, my wee baba (he's doing great image) will only be 9 months in April and it is too much to ask my wife / family to come down next year again. Edinburgh is only 20minutes from where I live so it's not a problem for next year (I've now limited myself to one Marathon a year!)

Although I have now lifetime goals of running a sub 3 and doing an Iron Man before I turn to dust! Knowing I'm in for 2013 already though means I can relax about it and not be worrying if I would get in or not. After 2013 I want to do other "biggies"  NYC/Berlin/Paris etc and London will be well and truly ticked off the list!

Hope everyone's well anyway - I've got my Bupa Edinburgh 10K this weekend -  wish me luck - going for sub 46 minutes image

Ps - WIb - how did you get on in the Paras10 - did you get your time?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one Miggito... No research necessary, I do recall you saying you would defer! Are you aiming for sub 3 at Edinburgh? Its a tough task but rewarding to come over the line and still see a 2 at the start of the clock. I still have the London 2011 fridge magnet up with my time on it, a bit of motivation to replace that in April. Also good luck for the 10k, as usual, keep us updated.

I did ok at the Paras10. I ran 4 minutes faster than my last effort but the fact I did no training with weight at all really showed. It was my first race after my 100 miler so had not been back training long etc etc. I could throw excuses at it all day long image At the end of the day I wasn't as ready as I needed to be to carry the weight as fast as I wanted to. Having been ill the last week or so and not training how I would like to I am going to have some fun over the winter running x-country and the Grim... Maybe also a 10k to better my PB. I have one more long race for this year which is a 50 miler in 3 weeks. I will get through that as well as I can to collect my point I need to complete my UTMB entry. 

Miss Knees - Did you apply?! have you heard?

• Options

Hey all!

Long time no chat, like others I thought I'd pop in to see who got in for next years VLM! I haven't been at my house for a few days but am going to check tonight. No doubt it'll be a reject mag, seeing as I got a ballot place last year!

I'm doing the Sunday Grim with my brother, looking forward to it. Not sure what to do shoe wise, don't think I can afford to buy a proper pair of Trail shoes so am going to wear a pair of trainers that are almost at the end of their life. Afterwards I can chuck them away instead of worrying about cleaning them.

Hope you are all well xxx

• Options
    Well done Miggs! I remember you saying you would defer. Good man, makes sense and one a year is a good idea, I am aiming for similar myself.

You and WiB sound like you know what you are doing whereas I just plod along lol image Good luck in your 50 miler Wib!! That's my plan for next year now I didn't get into VLM. For my sins I am now going to go for an ultra. I'll start looking soon and find one for about the same time of year as VLM as I like the training in the early months. Don't want to be running and sweating buckets in the summer when everyone else is in the pub image

Grim should be fun for all those in it. I'm doing Hell in November as a warm up to Tough Guy, think Hell and Grim are one in the same from what I've heard. Katie, your old trainers will be fine, that's what I use for that sort of event. It might be useful to have more grip but I quite like falling and sliding about the place lol image

Any more yessseseses from our old crew???
  • Options

Absolutely gutted ! Got my 'commiserations' mag through this morning, saw it by the front door when I come down after being on nights. I was 'hoping' that i got in again, as I know I can do better than last time, but it wasn't to be, will have to concentrate on more local events, plus I want to do the Great North Run next year, fingers crossed. Well done to all those who have been accepted, hope you enjoy the experience, I know I and the family did. I haven't received my fleece yet, even though I'm sure I ticked the box for the donation to charity, who do I contact to see about that ? All the Best.

Regards ,

Npteggchaser [Darren Little]

• Options
    What about the pony express ultra kneesy, fancy that one with me
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Miss Knees - Also take a look at Dartmoor Discovery. Loads of hills but a great race. It is in early June so don't know if that falls into your window of not getting too hot!

Squeakz - How is your ultra training going?

• Options

Big fat NO for me too!!!

Congrats Miggitto.

Katie...I`m doing the sunday grim with a friend who may well be very fed up with me after i`ve moaned about the mud the cold and my finger nails for 9 miles...the idea was fun when i entered now beginning to think wot have i done!!! Gonna do old trainers and old gear too!

• Options

Hello All! I haven't posted here since about 18 April, although I have followed what was happening from time to time. Congrats to Miggito re baby, by the way! I never joined the Facebook group becauseI have a problem with Fracebook corp.

I've been nursing an Achiles problem pretty much since April and haven't run for several months. I had decided definitely not to do the London Marathon next year - the training takes too much time away from my family and causes me too many injuries. It's all too traumatic. Never again!

Anyway I received a "Congratulations you've got in for 2012" letter yesterday (I had a charity place last year). And now I'm begining to wonder about whether I should go for it... Whether I can heal my heel in time... I can feel the excitment beginning to take hold... I can imagine running round the twists and turns of Docklands looking for wifey... I can imagine running towards Big Ben again...

But sorry to those deparate to do it again that didn't get in...

• Options

Wetter is Better its going pretty reasonable, thanks for asking. I had a minor Achiles issue recently which im just recovering from.... I was up to a 25 mile long run and increasing, as the pony express is 30 miles each day over I should be there abouts if training goes ok.

My Achiles issue was my own fault as I did a 15+ in brand new minimalist footwear, but we learn (I hope)

• Options

The people who are not running could make a day out of it and offer their support, it would be great to have a few beers and wave them at Miggito as he runs past looking like the world is going to end image the opportunity is too good to miss.

Glad you got in though mate, if you decide to run it this year I would happily pick you and the family up from the Airport or any main line station into London and give you some hospitality, you can even stay with me if you want.
    It could be an opportunity to have a bit of a break with the family as well, we could get my daugher to babysit and hit the west end and see a play or something.
    We could even go for that last run together and pack the ladys of to the spa in coventgarden or some retail therapy.. I expect the other half would appreciate some quality time if she has to put up with you training again.. lol

Anyway the offer is there if your interested and it will save on the hotels and stuff.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Glad it is going well Squeakz. I think you will find it a very different experience from the marathon. A really enjoyable one though. I will be interested to hear how you find it. They are addictive though!

Sounds like you are training well too. Funny you should mention the achilles issues, I have been doing all my running in minimalist shoes (nike free run, inov8 roclite 285 or inov8 baregrip) and did 100 miles in the inov8 roclites. I actually only feel any ache or soreness in my achilles if I put shoes with more support back on! I have some saucony fast twitch, which are light but with more support and running long distances in them can make my achilles sore. Stick to the minimalist stuff once you get going in it! image

I have just ordered some Inov8 road-x for the road as I have killed my nike free runs... maybe they did 1 rough trail too many over the summer!

Miggito - What an offer you have just recieved there... maybe you should run in 2012 after all!

• Options

Wetter is Better
    Im running in the Merrell Trail Gloves which are a really good shoe, very lightweight and responsive they have a vibram sole and large toe box. They are like five fingers but without being so freaky you have to have a conversation every time you leave the house about them.

I think I just took my transition from Newtons to them quicker than I should have upon reflection.
    Really looking forward to the ultra scene been reading a lot about Dean Karnazes at the moment, currently reading his book 'run' which is awesome, the guy is amazing and inspirational.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Squeakz - He is a good runner. His books are well written. He markets himself very well too.

There are also a couple of other books that are worth a read. Born to Run is very good. Goes into a lot about natural running, largely based around the US Ultra running scene and the Tarahumara tribe in mexico who are amongst the best natural runners in the world.

There is also Feet in the Clouds. This is about a guy from London who is not a natural runner, getting himself ready and through a Bob Graham Round. It is pretty much focused on the round and fell running but some really good stories about people who do not get the recognition they deserve, most likely they weren't out to get recognition though.

A couple of names to look up when you have a minute :
    Joss Naylor (Fell runner, loads of records inc 3 peaks record. hard as nails)
    Kilian Jornet (spanish ultra runner, UTMB 3 time winner amongst loads of other races... only 23!)
    Geoff Roes (he has a blog on ultra running, very handy US ultra runner)
    Anton Krupicka (Keeps a blog with his training mileage up to date weekly... the hours he puts in are unreal!)

Once you get into it there are some really great runners that not many people have ever heard of.

• Options
    Squeakz -you never check your emails!!!!!! image

I am going to sign up for the Pony Express!!! I just need to get some money sorted for it, fecking running is costing me a fortune!!!! image

Why take one marathon into the shower when you can take two... image Madness I tell, ya. this'll be the death of me!

So how does one train for 2 marathons in 2 days? 50 mile one good enough?? image
  • Options
    WiB - Born to Run book, I know Caballo Blanco *hyper* image He's my pal on FB image
  • Options
    Lol I never check my mail, spend to much time reading mail at work...lol

Just did it for you
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Miss Knees - Thats cool! I have just missed the talks he gave, was over here and did about 5 evening talks in various parts of the country. Would love to have gone to one.

Training for 2 marathons in 2 days, back to back long runs are quite a good way. Also make sure you look after yourself well whilst running... stay on top of food intake, fluid intake and recover well overnight. Stretch, Food, Drink, Rest and a massage if possible. Even self massage on the main muscles like calfs will help.

• Options
    Hi all I'm a bit of a stranger in these parts as they say!

Was just checking to see who got in for 2012, usual mixed bag by the sounds, didn't apply this time round decided to target Paris, much less complicated as its first come first served.

Had a good run in Berlin last weekend, managed to knock over 8mins off my London time finishing in 3hrs 24mins 19secs so well pleased especially as it allows me to throw my hat into the ring for qualification for Berlin in 2013 even with the more stringent entry requirements.

Despite the heat on race day would highly recommend Berlin, course as flat as a pancake and theres space to run even though it has more entrants than London.

Fascinating city, very friendly locals and reasonable prices.

Couple of weeks time out for me now before getting the head down for both Paris and New York in 2012.
  • Options
    Sorry guys that should have read qualification for Boston in 2013 must be past my bedtime image
  • Options

Hey All,

Well I didn't get in this year..and I guess I am disappointed. However my friend has got in to do her first Marathon so am dead chuffed for her. As I walked in today I was toying with the idea of applying for a charity place, but I don't want to commit unless I am absolutely certain I can raise the given amount... Hmm!

Everyone seems to want at least £1500. In a way I'd rather run for a charity that is less well known to raise it's profile and get it some money. Was thinking of doing it for the Down's Syndrome Association.  I raised £2600 with my ballot place last year and that was without really being a hardcore pushy sponsorship fiend.  Not sure if I could press people again next year as they already gave for my first marathon. Thoughts people?

PJ x

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

PJ - Personally I would not want the hassle of raising that sums that they ask for. I also tend to be reluctant to sponsor people to run a marathon (or other event) if they have already done one or more previously, I am not saying the events become any easier but I am less likely to sponsor someone for a challenge that they know they can complete.

If you do choose to run for charity then looks like you will have no issues getting the sponsorship together!

• Options
    Miggito wrote (see)
    Hope everyone's well anyway - I've got my Bupa Edinburgh 10K this weekend -  wish me luck - going for sub 46 minutes image

Official Finish time 45.59 imageimageimage lol - nailed it and knocked 5 minutes and 11 seconds off my last years time and previous PB - aching all over today, must admit I struggled a wee bit on the last few Ks, lack of training was apparent but pushed myself hard and now feel rather chuffed with myself - sub 45 next year!

Squeakz, you're a good lad! Thanks very much for the offer but even with that I still want to do Edinburgh and dont want to be messing with buggies and the like if I can help it. My brother who lives in the smoke had also offered but that was very kind of you so thank you sincerely! PS - my world did end when I missed my time by a couple of seconds in that half! image

Good to hear of all the big miles still getting run and I enjoy reading about the ultra training, I really need to give myself some time off now to let myself recover before I start to crank it up again in the New year!

Red - good to see you're still around, sorry you're still having problems but you've got a good problem - a lot of people would love to be in your current position! I guess with the right combination of rest/physio etc you could be able to start a gradual training plan  in January -looking back  my experience has taught me well that I didn't train properly (ie. I did more than I should have and hence the reason I got my injuries) so would do it with a more "sensible" head on next time.

Hey Plod, wee dilemma you have there! I'm sort of in the same camp as WIB - I've done it the other way round where I said I would do my first one to raise money for Charity (done!) and then future races would be for me. I couldn't justify going back to everyone year after year unless I guess it was for someone really close to me that I felt passionate about raising money for that my friends and contacts would be happy supporting. Not that I didn't feel passionate about raising money for my charity this year but that was more because if I was only ever going to run one Marathon then I wanted to raise as much as I could for it. I don;t think I would have raised half as much for charity as I did with a ballot place so you should be okay with the £1500? Hope that makes some sort of sense but good luck whatever you do image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

sub 46... nice one Miggito! that much time off is a large amount in a 10k race. Over 30 seconds per k faster. Awesome effort mate.

I raced x-country this weekend, only 2.5 miles but it is tough.

• Options

Cheers WIB, just goes to show how much you can improve over the course of a year! I managed to get the pacing bang on (although did need to get a sprint on for the last 100m!)

Having a well earned rest now, 4 weeks off everything and then some light training and core work in November / December before it all starts again in the New Year!

Can't wait image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your rest mate. After your success I decided to enter a 10k, initially to put a PB to rest but then I entered a trail 10k!... still, I will give the PB a crack and see what happens. I won't beat myself up if I miss it. Also just entered the Gosport half marathon to try and get that PB sorted before the end of the year.
  • Options

hello hello. So nice to finally check in here!! Congrats to Migg and Red re the Run. Having done practically nothing and entered 3 races earlier which didnt happen, am fairly relieved the red fleece arrived. However in the interests of reducing the weight gain and staving off the zimmer frame imminence just about to begin yet again on the walk/run malarky!

defo will keep date open next year if we can do a 2011 reunion support team.

Am useless on the whole Facebook thing but try and remember to check every so often but now will keep an eye here.

• Options
    Hey all!

Well since my last post I decided to bite the bullet and apply to the Downs Syndrome Association for a charity place. I wasn't too hopefully as they'd had about 200 applications which they then whittle down to 100 to go into a draw for 25 places.

However I got an email to say I'm in!!! Am so chuffed, if a little bit nervous about training up for it again!

The hard work begins again....now!

PJ x
  • Options

Hello!

I'm a first time marathon runner...long time 'casual' runner!  Entered the public ballot and the Down Syndrome Association ballot at the same time back in April- was unsuccessful in the public, successful for the DSA so I do have a place!  Very excited, not least because the cause is incredibly close to my heart (see: www.runningforalice.wordpress.com for more info!) but also because I do love a good challenge!  Excited to see Plod_Jones above me running for the same cause! Nice to 'meet' you!

Pretty nervous underneath it all but all I can do is get cracking with training and see how it goes.  I run 8-10 miles when I head out for a casual run at about 10min mile pace.  Looking to maintain that pace into marathon distance if poss.  Bit overwhelmed with all the training plan options - have read a couple of books and feel none the wiser as everyone says something slightly different!  Anyone got a golden plan that they can point me in the direction of?

Cheers,

Beckie

• Options

Hey - what's this thread doing all the way back here!?! Has the Euphoria finally died down?? Are there actually other things in life apart from VLM 2011?? Helen's back in the Maldives sunning her Soleus - oooh err missus!, Squeakz running ultras backwards in sauna suits, Miss Knees conquering the world of crazy races, WIB going so fast noone can catch him, Plod now plodding in 2012 (good on you by the way image) Mattys mum hopefully got over dissapointment and running again, Little N still drinking the wine, Shieldsy too busy listening to Jedward, Tim's got frozen in his ice bath, Mike Halpin running and smoking!  Foofighter still fighting those times, NSGNS - jopined a running club - hope its going well! Karmus - hope you got in to 2012 mate!! Alison C, hope to be be running in Inverschnechie at some point! Jo now organising the olympics,  Muppley, hope all going well on the baby front and you've discovered your running mojo again, Phat boy (where did you go?) poor Sarnie - hope she recovered! Chris - nice to see you still around and hope you're well and to everyone else / anyone else I missed I guess this thread will now dissapear into virtual oblivion so just wanted to bump it to the top one last time image

Ps - Rebecca Saunders - I wish you all the luck in the world, I see there is a 2012 VLM first timer thread so would recommend it, will certainly keep you sane with all the Marathon madness!