Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

T-Rex ...i see you got me firmly installed in the 3:50 group ........was hoping to see more of the sub four hour group this time around.....image  All being well i am hoping to  see you on the course somewhere in Gloucester.....image

First lot of V02 interval training again today and boy was it tough ....combined with a snivel of a cold and a toddler that seems to be suffering with insomnia ..didnt make for and easy session but did it anyway !!!!!!  Tis all a distant memory after the very nice bottle of red wine i have consumed this evening image

Frodo ...so glad you are back running and dont forget that certificate otherwise there will be no running for you.....have been considering Milan marathon as  my sister lives there but gather from translating the rules i would also need a medical certifcate......image   Confused me so much havent dared enter yet !!!!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

panad and jason - if you enable your "message member" facility I could send that recipe if you like.  I'm wary about posting it on here because (i) I'm a bit protective about it (but I suppose it is only a pudding), and (ii) I don't want to ruin anyone's Christmas dinner. But IMHO it is a bit good.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

nicola - sorry, I'm pulling out of Gloucester.  There's no way this achilles is going to good enough in time for 31.1 road miles in only six weeks.  Also now I have a work meeting on that day.

So, next scheduled race Rhayader 20, 19 March.  I'm also entering Marlborough Downs 33, 14 May.

• Options
    I'll be going again TRex slowly but surely said I wouldnt but you know what its like!
  • Options
    T-Rex ...sorry to hear you are having to pull out ......will be hopefully doing Rhayader 20 again this year as long as work allows.......need to get into new year to see how my shifts work out and then i can arrange races image
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Enabled messages TRex,though I'm your recipe wouldn't ruin anyone's Christmas meal!

Defrosted again nicely here,so got a few runs in this week,pleasantly surprised by how fresh legs felt image

Off to undo any good work on my general fitness tomorrow night with staff party image
  • Options

Evening all, are we all warming up a bit? Seems my Turkey Trot Half is happening on Sundayimage.Good one Frodo, keep up the good work! How's the injury TRex? Do you think physio did any good after that pain?

Have a good one all esp Panad out on the lash

• Options

Yup, this thaw has got to be good.   Christmas Pud 10 miler on Sunday ..... which will be the furthest I've run since Snod, and the first proper run I've done in two weeks!!!   Think I'll forget about any speed and just look at it as a training run with company image

Make the most of the weather folks ..... looks like it could be short-lived!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

panad - you have mail

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭

Thanks for the recipe TRex.

I've just ordered myself a copy of advanced marathoning - though I've with you Frodo, the thought of following an advanced plan does seem a bit wrong!  - hoping to have a good read over the holidays and then make a proper start back into some more organised training in the new year image

good running over the weekend everyone, especially those with races - hope they all go ahead ok.

(not long now until entries open image, Jan 1st seemed a very long time to wait at the end of October!)

• Options
    Mine arrived yesterday - I've brought it to work with me today for a sneaky read! image
  • Options

Im another one that follwed the advanced marathon training plan and have bought a copy of the book......i looked at the easiest 18 week marathon training programme and gulpedimage  Never ever did i think i would be able to do it but do you know something..........i did image  I only ever took one run at a time...stuck to it like glue.....i think thoughout the whole programme i only missed three short runs and i changed a v02 sessioin at the very end .....i upped two of the 20  mile runs to 22 and can only reiterate what everyone else says about it .............IT WORKS image  I felt physically and mentally much better prepared and i know that got me through Snowdonia in a much more enjoyable way than when i ran VLM.

I will be following it again for Snowdonia next year.....image

• Options
    Without looking back through the thread, are you talking about Hal Higdon's advanced marathon training plan?   What's the isbn no for the book?   Sounds interesting!
  • Options

SD - no- Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas' book. Check it out on Amazon.

Hello everyone- back from the land of the non- runners here!image Managed 6.3m today in ice-free conditions and SHORTS today. Last pre VLM training run tomorrowimageimage

18 week P&D plan for me too- though forced to drop down the mileage at this time of year and follow an earlier chapter- lol!

• Options

Hi all, I too used Advanced Marathon book this year..all was going well until I devised my own training plan and decided doing 3 marathons in 7 weeks was a better plan. Next year, I'll stick to the book!!! image

Which chapter are you doing JD?

Well, Keyworth Half defo on tomorrow so that is good but just realised I haven't worn new trainers for a run yet (been in trail shoes for last two weeks) and old ones are mashed. So, going to have to take a gamble on the newbies..Not expecting to get a good time really as all training seems to have been at snail's pace for last few weeks!

• Options
    Brer- Chapter 10imageimage, rather than Chapter 11 with extra milesimage Good luck for tomorrow- but I think I'd run in the mashed shoes if at all possible-??image
  • Options
    stilldreaming wrote (see)
    Without looking back through the thread, are you talking about Hal Higdon's advanced marathon training plan?   What's the isbn no for the book?   Sounds interesting!

For you, SD image

links to Amazon

• Options

Cheers JD, I've packed both pairs and will decide in the morning. There is no tread left on old ones and I suspect there may still be ice bits around, oh what a worryimage

Chapter 10..erm, 50-70 a week? Dont have book with me right now..is that the one?

• Options
    Brer- down from 85+ plan to 70-85image. Most days are only 1 run, so can push the pace a bit more!imageHave a good one tomorrowimage
  • Options
    Hi all. Just defrosted. Some good snow and off-road runs in. Stuff was thick in the wolds and I struggled with a 15miler offroad last Saturday. Though it was great fun as I set off at dusk and ran headlight free along the white glowing paths through the woods image This weeks midweek runs in town have got progressively dicier as the snow got more compacted and ice thickened in the -5 to -10 temps. Ventured over to near Holmfirth today for the 23.6m Regular Irregular LDWA challenge with plenty of hills and mud as well as enough of a temperature rise - possibly over +5c -  that I was able to strip down to just baselayer for the final 12m.
  • Options

Hi all

Got out for my first run yesterday since Conwy half, only 4 miles at 9m/m pace..........felt great no pain in legimage going out again in morning. Had a look at Advanced marathon training going to buy it.

Going to enter Shakespeare marathon as well as snod along with a few halfs.

Frodo good to hear that you are running againimage

• Options
    Thanks! And it all sounds very positive for you too, TR image
    (and just how glad are your family that you are out and about again image )

Hope today goes well for all racing/training image
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    No running here image ,despite the thaw as other things have got in the way,but hey as I was telling Mr panad (at 2am (and luckily for him under the influence of a few too many drinks!) when he was informing me that the nice (hangover permitting) frosty long run I'd thought I was going to be doing this morning wasn't going to happen) 'it's only a run, it doesn't matter, it's not like it's the end of the world or anything!' - what I didn't add was god help them all if I don't get a decent run in soon image
  • Options
    Hi all

All this talk of the advanced marathon training book has prompted me to order a copy from amazon, should arrive on Tuesday, something to keep me occupied on these long winter nights.

• Options

DE- nice running!image

16m for me today- faster than planned, but felt good, though tougher towards the end! Didn't help that about 3m was along a fine grit path which had turned into wet concrete with the snow meltimage 16.00m in 2:00.34 av pace 7.32. From the splits you'll see I had a few unplanned laps! Splits 7:51 7:36 7:32 2:25(0.32m) 7:40 7:40 7:47 5:11(0.67m) 8 (0.02m)7:37 7:24 7:27 7:29 7:29 7:29 7:28 7:27 6:53

• Options

Blimey-Advanced Marathon book will be top of the bestsellers at this rate!

DE-awesome going on the LDWA event.

Good running/partying going on folks. Well, I managed to haul myself around the Turkey Trot Half..significantly overdressed and sweating like a pig by mile 5. Slow snow training over last few weeks told on me on a couple of the big hills but anyway managed to come in between 1hr 42-43 mins so fairly pleased.image

Just seen Countryfile weather report for week ahead..forecaster used a string of superlatives to describe just how cold it is going to get again by the end of the week. Hang on to your thermals folksimage

• Options
    Brer- well done on the runimage and thanks for the newsimageimageimage
  • Options

Yeah - I just saw that forecast too, Brer and swore a bit image

Pretty shocking 10miler race for me, over 10mins slower than PB, but I'm very glad I got off my arse and out. Just I realise now how much form I've lost over the last few weeks. 

I've read the beefy bits of Advanced Marathoning now and must confess to a bit of brain ache image

Going to follow the 18week plan for Paris, but if my fitness is not up to scratch, I can reset with the 12 week plan in January. 

Onwards and downwards image

• Options
    Frodo- well done on getting your a**e outimage. I love AM and know most of it off by heart- ask Andrea B!  I've read it all numerous times- it has been my bedside book on more than one occasionimageimageimage . What's your target time for Paris?
  • Options

Sad thing is that I know it is totally within my capabilities - I think anything under 3.40 would properly stretch me, but it's just that life keeps getting in the way of any prolonged, sustained or purposeful training.

Oh, ahem, and that I have real lazy beggar and gluttonous tendencies image

However, I have made moves at work to make changes that would have a positive effect on training in 2012.