Options

TVXC Thread

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Now that is a low turn out, but obviously the runners you brought did a decent job! We generally get a full 6 and 3, but usually not many more over. 16 was big for us!

We ae though under no illusions we come up the rankings due to other clubs often not being able to fill full teams!

ps did you say you;d be nearer to knowing about your Reading place this week?

• Options

Sprint - please feel free to repost the pictures.

It was interesting watching the different techniques at the ditch. In general the faster runners jump across, and as you go down the field there are less jumpers and more people who simply stride through. Once you hit midfield you start to get those who stop and tiptoe down the bank into the ditch, whilst towards the back you start to get those who sit and slide down the bank into the water, or who go in backwards hanging on to any vegetation they can find. A small number simply plough through without pause, but some of those towards the back must have taken a good 30 seconds to get across. The slowest however was a guy who stopped and watched about 10 ladies go through before copying the method used by two girls who had avoided the water quite comfortably. Those two girls gained a huge distance on those around them by not stopping (momentum helps), but he must have been stopped for the best part of 2 minutes before even attempting to get across. Only two people took a bath in the ditch, and one of those was a Dasher.

It does seem that the key really is not to stop and lose momentum. If you stop then the doubts start to set in that you can do it without a soaking, and you're almost certainly going to get wetter than if you just go straight through.

• Options
    Is this down to the density of the field?

At the head of the race there are less people (I assume - I've never seen it),  which gives the spacing to maintain the momentum and jump? Similar story towards the tail end, if the runners want to jump.

In the middle of the pack I had to slow down and wait for those in front of me to cross, and it was bunching up. We queued for this crossing. I jumped the first 2, and ran through this one.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_AO0U9sKp9bU/TSnLN0Gu7NI/AAAAAAAADTE/hjBg1j1xlY4/s640/IMG_6837.JPG

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Whoops..i came 8th and kind of waded through image. Every other year I've jumped. The result, absolutely freezing feet for the last mile which didn't help anything.

Did someone really wait 2mins watching different techniques! For that time he could have gone round a long way and not had to face the crossing!

• Options

Cheers BOTF.

Tried to leap and get a footing on the far side, dipped in a foot on each I think, had it been less congested I could have almost taken it in the stride

Went straight through a tree on the hill after that to make up some places image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Every other year I've found a massive step up in gear after the last water stop over those inclining fields, but this year I didn't really have a big finish.

Must have been taking it easier on the first half other yearsimage

Good work on the tree Sprint. After Reading, my legs were more scratches than skin!

• Options
    Some of it's down to numbers, but in general the further down the field the more cautious people are. Trouble is that once a runner stops or hesitates then it immediately means the runners behind have to stop as there isn't really room to overtake, and hence the queues grow. Fortunately where I was the field was spread enough that I don't think there was ever more than maybe 5 or 6 waiting to cross.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's the odd short single file stretch on other courses, but Tadley is pretty unique with the 3 back to back water stops.

Once you get to the end of the inclining fields, where you pass people going the other way, you know you're as good as home. Must be tough work if you're still going the other way though, knowing you have the hard crossings and tough mile to come.

• Options

Quick interruption:

BOTF - can you log your miles please for the RW US v UK (okay, West vs East) competition? Your country needs you. image

As you were...

• Options
    It's still zero due to the lurgi, but hoping to break my duck tonight image
  • Options
    Good man! No pressure if ill, of course.
  • Options
    What's the Finch course like ?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not been reading my other posts I take it then Sprint imageimage

Finch starts on a gentle incline for about half mile. Then you're treated to some bizarre white trail type fare. Then you have a very tricky triple steep hill combo over about 200metres image

Once that's done it's a case of preparing yourself for a big finish down the last few hundred metres down the incline we started on!

• Options
    Haven't done Finch for a couple of years, but my main memory of it (apart from the finish under the power cables) was lots of small off-camber humps and running through some quite soft sand.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    sand? sure that wasn't Sandhurst? (ps not trying to be Mr Pun...Sandhurst had a whole field of sand!)
  • Options

Is it around where the Woodland 5 is?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not sure on that!

ps Chris if you're still around, did you say your Reading place was up for grabs in the end?

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

it's not at all like the Woodland 5. It's a good one but the start line 'amenities' are VERY basic!

Bascially, you think things are going along nicely on forest trails when the crazy dudes send you off trail at right angles up / down some pretty severe hills. Then there is the hill around 5 miles that brings many to a walk.

I don't remember sand (there is at the Woodland 5). Actually, I don't think I'll make it this year. Shame. 

• Options

Stevie G - You have a message.

We ran the Finch XC route the other night. I can't give you any info as it was dark and all looked the same. However all the descriptions sound about right.

The power cables hum nicely in the rain.

• Options
    I do like the hum of the cables...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Running that Finch course in the dark must be tasty...especially that triple steep hill combo! Don't remember the hill at 5miles, but thinking about it there must be one as you have to get high enough to have that last rumble down the hill we start up!
  • Options

I could be wrong about the sand - I just remember a series of little humps that you had to run across right on the edge of a slope that were quite sandy and sapping. Like I said though, a couple of years since I did it and it was in my pre-marathon days when I was a lot slower so I was probably in a lot of pain at the time.

BTW Finch is nowhere near where they hold the Woodland 5. The Woodland 5 is run south of Bracknell in the Broadmoor woods (right next to the prison), whilst the Finch race is south of Reading near Bramshill police college.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I also remember an ascent or 2 that is positively dangerous, very steep down indeed. I normally get overtaken on it because I value my safety whereas a couple near me always ZOOM down it image

The triple hills are uniquely stressy as you get to see people ahead and behind you, so are very aware of how close people are to you!

• Options

Ah downhills, my passing zone image

• Options

I've only done the Finch race once, and all I can remember is that when you see the pilon you are near the finish!

• Options

Warren Heaths my local spot, such a great place to run, plenty of fair to decent hills but nothing major..... The goings wet and I`m using speedcross2`s all the time...

Will be running there later today if anybody wants a peak at my Garmin info for hills etc..

btw, the biggest hill in there has a little stream crossing just befor the start... 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stream crossing? On the Finch course?
  • Options

Doubt they`d include that bit Steve, well here`s the lovely  mellow 10k i`ve just completed ... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63349786   .....   

• Options

There was some water to jump over, but that may have been down to the torrential rain last Thursday.

Roland's run takes in about 50% of the course.

• Options

Nice to have a week off image

13km yesterday and 20km today.. Had to do some distance work for Wokingham / Bracknell / Fleet!