Options

Bala 2011

Comments

• Options
    lee whats the campsite details i forget (old age) Slim MK Snail is sandbagging you he swims like the proverbial fish (has been known to drink like one as wellimage) Bruv I will book the campsite this week when I find out what one it is
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Max - campsite is Glanllyn. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago and they have confirmed the booking and have said no need for a deposit.

Yeh I know Your bruv is sandbagging- it was you who told me he swims like a missile!
  • Options
    slimshady wrote (see)
     Yeh I know Your bruv is sandbagging- it was you who told me he swims like a missile!
    he's just bigging up the competition image

Anyone bringing a sherpa who fancies a swim ? My shoulder is shot, so I'll be going around in circles ...
  • Options

Apparently it's all to do with the size of my feet according tho RidgebackMax

• Options

If i had flippers for feet, i'd do a bit better.  Wouldn't help much for the bike or run though, right enough...image

Slim got there first with the campsite.  Same for me; they e-mailed back to confirm it is booked, so no worries there image

• Options
    You'd need flippers today the way it is chucking it down here just over the Welsh border
  • Options
    Kanga I will do the swim for you.  We were coming up to support anyway so happy to do your swim image
  • Options

Hurrah!  Will The Bitch be there to help me put my tent up, as you know how crap I am at it? image

• Options

Cheers Rio, might well take you up on it. bhflyer's mate has offered but has to get to/from London which might be a logistical challenge, will chase him up and let you know. Pack your wettie in any case ... unless the banana suit is your new wettie image

• Options
    Oh, and while I'm busily calling in favours, anyone heading to Bala from London way ? Need to take camping stuff as well as all the usual tri stuff, and dont have a roof box. Well, can borrow a roof box but dont have roof racks, and as we're fleeing the country I dont want to buy roof rack.

Anyone got any spare space for some camping/tri stuff ? Or two adorable Possie kids ? image
  • Options

Thanks Kanga.  Was packing the wettie anyway for the Saturday pre race swim so no problem.

Yes Lee "The Bitch" will be there with me as usual to help wherever needed.  He even has a new supporters tshirt which he will no doubt be wearing

• Options

Just booked the campsite and now looking forward to what should be a great weekend.

Anyone got a pirate vest / top I can buy or borrow?

• Options

I may have some space for the way there Kanga - am down in Tooting so fairly easy from you I think. 

Only prob is I'm driving back on the Sunday after the race as have a client meeting first thing Monday morning so you may need someone to bring it back/ditch the kids in Wales...

• Options
    woody2run wrote (see)

Just booked the campsite and now looking forward to what should be a great weekend.

You can have a lend of my XL monaco if it fits. Oddly enough it always goes faster when someone else is wearing it image
    Mandel wrote (see)

I may have some space for the way there Kanga - am down in Tooting so fairly easy from you I think. 

Only prob is I'm driving back on the Sunday after the race as have a client meeting first thing Monday morning so you may need someone to bring it back/ditch the kids in Wales...

Thx Mandel, might take you up on that. We're in SW18, so just around the corner image
  • Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    How's everyone doing? Having a moment of 'what the heck have I let myself in for'!

Did my first open water swim of the year this morning, did about 1,000m and realised 2000 is a quite a long way!

Then my confidence was further boosted when flicking through the free tri magazine they gave me at the lake, featuring a piece on 'painfully good triathlons' featuring of course Bala middle distance.

Some choice excerpts from the piece:

Even in June jumping into the picturesque Lake Bala ...will knock the breath out of you and make your head ring with cold.

The pain only increases with 993m of long arduous climbing over 20k bike

The run is 'so steep in places that you can hear you legs screaming in protest

Not trying to panic anyone, honest! most of you have done it (and worse) before anyway.

Bring it on!
  • Options

La la la la la............ (fingers in ears)

I really didn't want to hear any of that. Wish I had done some training today instead of turning over in bed this morning and rewarding myself with a rest day. Still tomorrow is the begining of a new week!

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

bhf - don't believe what you read...it's pancake flat  image

i always have moments of 'what have i let myself in for' but seem to struggle through somehow.

I had a bad training day today.  did a sprint tri yesterday which went ok but tried to do a 4hr bike today which just didn't happen  image  I got to 44 miles and had just had enough.  my legs were lacking power and I just wasn't up for it mentally.  The first time I have ever pulled out of a planned bike but just couldn't face any more!

Will have an unplanned rest day tomorrow and just hope that things improve for the Chiltern 100 in 3 weeks and then Bala the next weekend!  These things are sent to try us.

• Options
    The run at Bala really is not too bad .. except perhaps for the mile before the turnaround and once you have that in your rear view its pretty much plain sailing ... and its short !  image

If I can manage the hills on the bike then anyone can, there are a few long drags but nothing too testing and there are nice free speed places to recover

The swim?  yes, it can be fecking cold and quite choppy .... last year was lovely so with all the good weather we have been having you could be in luck !
  • Options
    I agree - there are only four dodgy moments at Bala - starting the swim is probably the worst bit cos it is so cold and the single loop course looks very very long - but it is 2000m which is the same distance as 2000m in the pool. Second, the bike turnaround - the downhill before you turn seems to go on for ever the whole way down you know you're about to turn around and crawl back up. Then, about 3/4 through the bike the hill from hell - but usually with people at the top screaming encouragement so you have to put on a fake smile and pretend it's fine - which it is really. And finally, out on the run for an undulating five miles before a brisk walk up a steep hill to the turnaround. That one comes as a bit of a shock at first sight - a good time for a gel perhaps? But the rest of the time it's just a jolly day out with good mates - what's not to love. image
  • Options

(Takes fingers out of ears)

That sounds more reassuring

And rest days are when you get stronger .........right?

• Options
    Microbe man wrote (see)

Yep - fuelling your training and prioritising recovery after long sessions also seem to bear fruit. image
  • Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    How about fuelling your rest days??
  • Options
    Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Microbe man wrote (see)

Yep - fuelling your training and prioritising recovery after long sessions also seem to bear fruit. image
    You mean I have to do some exercise before I can have a rest day? Oh dear, my training strategy has just been blown out of the water 
  • Options
    If anyone has a copy of Aprils 220 magazine .... page 28 has a lovely picture of Bala in the vicinity of transition area, errr and rather a lot of the lake   image
  • Options

There are some photo's of Lake Tegid and of the surrounding area on my flickr stream taken a few weeks ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62171879@N07/sets/72157626512577799/

• Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    woody2run wrote (see)

You can have a lend of my XL monaco if it fits. Oddly enough it always goes faster when someone else is wearing it image

Thanks Kanga your go faster monaco would be good but  I'm probably only a medium or large, thanks for the offer.
  • Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    Woody, Kangas xl monaco is modelled by me in my pic..(Its been around a bit!)...they come up very small, I wear a 15.5 inch collar so wouldn't consider myself extra large, and it fit me just about right. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Cheers for that Bhflyer, in that case I'll take you up on the offer Kanga and give it a try please,
  • Options
    woody2run wrote (see)
    Cheers for that Bhflyer, in that case I'll take you up on the offer Kanga and give it a try please,
    No worries. LG's sizing is all over the place, no consistency between monacos, shirts etc.

Suppose I should haul out the bling bike and do a long ride image