Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And he makes the podium again powered by plants! Well done BadBark! Excellent form there. You mention some of your tapering tactics but would you mind telling us a bit more about how you balance the nutritional requirements of the training with the vegan diet? I am mostly vegetarian and struggle with the protein.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great running Badbark, you seem suited to this ultra running.

Nice parkrun victories for PMJ and OO. I need to get myself one of those but it's all in the timing, hoping the speed merchants don't show.

Marathon pace long run for me today with 5 easy, 14 @ mp and 1wd.

Mara pace averaged 6.44m/m pace. Not quite sub 2.55 pace but that was on the back of an 80 mile week.

Also felt a little too tough for 26 miles but there's still a few more weeks to sharpen and hopefully taper..etc will help.
  • Options

It was 'runner gate' today.  That is, I used my new easy access gate into the lane that runs at the back of my house.  It is custom made (by myself) and has a combination lock, meaning no keys when I go running.  A triumph of engineering to deliver unparalleled convenience!

Lozenro, I'm about halfway through the Gary Taubes book and it basically turns conventional understanding of nutrition on it's head.   It is answering a lot of questions though.

Top work there Moof - I'm relived to know 'there's stiff a few weeks to sharpen' before Abo - don't think I'll be bothering with a taper myself as I don't really think it is worth getting changed for a 2 mile run.image

Another little 4 mile run for me, better and easier and got a bit further up a nemesis hill before having to walk.  Onwards and upwards....

• Options

Moof - That long run sounds promising to me.

Bike it - Nice work there with the gate and your continued progress!

OO - Well done on the win and another fast time. Hope your mashed up legs recover soon!

PMJ - Good return to form there in your Parkrun, have you been doing much speed work recently?

Got up this morning after my day trip to France and went for a 10k run in the late morning sunshine followed by a dip in the Big Blue. It was very warm and I struggled for the first 4 miles or so but felt really strong at the end. Slow pace of 8mm but I'll take that after over a month of no running and a very boozy lunch in St Malo. Glad I resisted the temptation of cocktails in town after we disembarked. image

• Options

Moof - that is a tough session to end a good week of training - well done.
    Leslie - you'll soon get used to the early starts!
    PMJ - congrats on the parkrun win and return to form.
    Birch - excellent final long run from you - I am planning one more, but maybe 18 or 19 instead of 20/21.
    Lorenzo - hope you had a good celebration. No official target, but as long as I can finish in one piece I'll be satisfied. 3:14:59 or less would be nice,
    OO - congrats on your parkrun win too.
    Badbark - fantastic result - looking very promising for Dublin.
    SJ - sounds like a hard session.
    Bike It - like the easy access gate idea!
    GM - nice way to round off the weekend.
    13 super-slow miles this morning (9:19 m/m).

• Options

Congratulations badbark!

Moof - 14 at MP - oof

Combination lock BI, now there's an idea.

Easy double today, 8+6

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats Badbark- worth waiting for.

8.5 plod miles here- calves are still giving me grief, even after skipping my LSR yesterday. I think this could be a another plod week here....

• Options

moof - 80 miles weeks image

Gerard - 8mm sounds good to me 

Gul - nice target image

Marrows- good double run

00-51 you cant be fast all the time.

Had fun at the 2k fun run yesterday which turned out to be 1.5k but far enough for my 7 year old daughter who only had to stop once for a few secs till someone passed her then she was off again. She was proper mashed at the end though after a sprint finish image Ice creams all round sorted it though !

Physio today again thighs still tight apparently  then 4 miles @ 7:40 average today , getting a  little bit so speed back image followed by more stretching .

• Options

Wow Moof - that's a tough old session. You must be pretty pleased with that one.

Gul - I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do 13 super slow miles like that. 

Was that a commuting double run Marrows?

Ladder intervals for me this morning - concentrating on fast cadence during the reps.

• Options

marrows - nice double.
    OO - take it easy.
    Leslie - ice cream recovery - yah! Steady progress.
    Lorenzo - come on, admit it, you love those intervals really!
    10 miles including 11 x 100m strides today. Poor visibility again today, but was determined not to let it beat me. I ended up having to stop every few minutes to wipe the condensation off my glasses!

• Options

Impressive stuff everyone - keep it up!

I'm still on the bench, and will be for the foreseeable future; tried a test run at lunch and got about a mile before having to stop. Massively frustrating, and thoroughly disappointing. More swimming and cycling for at least the next week or two. Deep joy.

• Options

Leslie - Sounds like a fun thing to do with your daughter.

Gul - You seem to be having problems with the visibilty there, glad you completed your run though.

Marrows - I'd like to start doing some doubles like that when I am fitter.

Lorenzo - I prefer intervals and reps as opposed to LSR's.

5k for me today on lunch. It's like Spain out there, almost 27c!image Decided to see if the legs could run at a semi decent pace. Nothing too strenious so came out at 7:23mm pace but I felt very hot. Was cursing the fact I was late out on lunch as I had planned to go for a swim in the sea afterwards. That will have to wait until tonight now.

• Options

Yup Lorenzo, that was a commute. I thought you hated intervals

Gul there must be a better way! Does spitting on them stop them fogging up? some swimmers swear by it for their goggles

It'll come, Abbers.  Are you getting better at swimming?

Glad the legs are starting to cooperate, Leslie

• Options

Your lunchtime sounds much more pleasant than mine GM! Back to back meetings with a cheese sandwich image

Excellent run chaperoning Leslie. Very special times.

Sorry to hear that Abbers - bench time is never easy.  Hope it improves soon.

On that note, gently does it OO.

Looking good Moof.

3@MP, 2@HMP, 1@10k last night off steady 1 mile intervals. Hot!

• Options

I've got better things to be doing with my time than to be checking in here only to find that Poacher still hasn't filed a report.

Honestly, some people can be so selfish.

• Options

SJ - Shame about the back to back meetings and the cheese sandwich!? I was besieged by the auditors when I got back from my run this afternoon so enjoyed that glorious 30 min window of sunshine and perspiration. Nice session there.

Abbers - image

TAR - I had forgotten about Poacher and the Flanders mara.

• Options

SJ - back to back meeting with a cheese sandwich? Did you get any response out of it?!

Reminds me of the question as to which is better: complete happiness or a cheese sandwich? Obviously it's the cheese sandwich as nothing is better than complete happiness and a cheese sandwich is better than nothing. image

Marrows - I do hate them but I also know that they do me alot of good. Planning another interval session tomorrow morning. image 

Nice length of commuting run BTW. Aren't you in Surrey somewhere so do you head into London?

Gul - 11 lots of strides is an odd amount! Any reason for that as opposed to 10 or a nice round dozen?

GM - a tad envious of you having the possibility to go for a dip in the sea after a lunchtime run. Funnily enough the Thames isn't all that tempting at the moment!

2 mile commuting run each way for me today with 5kg worth of rucksack bouncing around on my back. Was running a bit late for the train on the return leg so I don't think my fellow passengers were impressed by my sweaty state when I got on the train - at least I'd just about had enough time to change my top.

• Options

Abbers - that's tough - really feel for you.
    GM - 27C?! Nice running.
    marrows - thanks for the tip.
    SJ - good tempo session.
    Lorenzo - that does kind of put me off running to work! Yesterday I had planned to do 10 strides, but was enjoying them and had time to do an extra one.
    4 miles recovery run this morning.

• Options

Gul - makes sense. I sometimes feel like that but it's normally to extend from 5 to 6. After 10 I would imagine I would have had more than enough,

Another intervals session for me this morning - probably the first time I've had the inclination to do two in a week. 6 x 3mins with 1min recovery. 

• Options

Marrows - I suppose my swimming fitness is improving, but it's more a means to keep vaguely CV fit while I'm not running, and burn a few calories, rather than being a goal in itself. I've moved onto more cycling and x-training over the last week or two; I think I'll stick mostly to that for the next fortnight.

SJ - good interval/tempo session combo there.

Gul - it's the frustration of it more than anything. I've missed 10 weeks out of the last 3 months, and just want to be able to get out there and run again! Will just have to bide my time a bit longer. You're looking good for your mara.

Lorenzo - careful, or you'll get a reputation for your intervals!

Right, off to sunny Staines-upon-Thames for a meeting. What better way to spend my wedding anniversary?!?!

• Options

Congratulations on the anniversary Abbers and the exrordinarily exciting day you have planned. Will there be cheese sandwiches?

Lorenzo, is the 5kg backpack a necessary evil of run commuting or is it part of your comrades conditioning?

14 this morning with the final 4 at MPish effort. I had to wait for the dog to catch up a couple of times. Strangely pleasing to outrun a border collie - although I think he probably covered 20miles with all of the gadding about.

• Options

Lorenzo, sandwiches image

At least you remembered it Abbers

Muggy jog in; it's forecast to reach 23C here today!

• Options

Not so hot out there today but still sunny and feeling warm, 24c. Another 5k run along the promenade today, this time with a work colleaugue/friend who is trying to back back into running again. Nice easy pace of 8:25mm. Felt a bit stiff last night so I think it was a sensible thing to do today.

Back on the subject of sandwiches, I hardly ever have them for lunch but if we are going to start talking about cheese then we mustn't omit the ham. Hmmm, I do like a ham and cheese toastie. 

• Options

13 at lunch to celebrate 49 years on this planet. Legs are coming back, they need the long runs even when I am racing short distances.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Best wishes, PMJ - you whipper-snapper !  

• Options

Happy birthday PMJ! image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - happy birthday, you are a year or so ahead of me.

Abbers - keep up the multisporting, it will keep you fit.

SJ - you have been doing a lot of hard running for a man with a dodgy hip (or even for a man that had two good hips). What are you training for, it must be a shorter event than one of your normal ones ?

• Options

TR, I'm going for a "run faster and hope I have the endurance from IM training" short sharp campaign before an autumn marathon. Frankfurt is the target - leaving it til the last minute before I enter and book flights in case something goes pop. Mileage is below 30 per week so I'm taking a bit of a gamble.  Things are holding up at the moment.....

• Options

Target is the elusive sub 3. Might not get another crack at it.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sj - thats low miles. Although I rarely went much over 40 mpw this vlm. You could always put in something like the patented 5 x 18m or more in 12 days which finishes 3 weeks out.