Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Quick drop in to say, hats off to Badbark, on what seems like an incredible streak of half mara's and training in general. Can't wait to see how you go in the marathon. Sounds possible that low 2:5x is not out of your reach and that would be great! Wouldn't be surprised at all if you posted a negative split the way you are going! Excellent stuff!

Well done to the TCCSTFT team too. imageimage

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - congrats on the HM PB - you are on top form.
    Birch - monster miles.
    GD - good MP work up the hills.
    PMJ - nice average pace.
    Leslie - cracking miles still!
    SJ - enjoy your last day.
    Lorenzo - more monster mileage.
    OO - good double.
    Well done TCCSTFT!
    Not an ideal day for intervals, but at least not as windy as yesterday. 6 miles with 6 x 300m off 100m recoveries - bit of a mixed bag: 0:59, 1:03, 057, 1:01, 1:01, 1:02.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

Birch – Great mileage

GD –  Good MP running

PMJ – That’s solid mileage with a nippy average pace.

SJ – I hope your last day at work goes well and enjoy the celebrating!

Lor – Great mileage and good luck with the shoe testing. I don’t think you’ll have any problems with them as I race 5k to marathon in the same Saucony Kinvaras. It’s the London Marathon I’m running

OO – Great interval session and double run

GM – Thanks for the support!

Gul – Good fast interval session

If you haven’t heard it yet I would strongly advise everyone to listen to the Mark Hines interview on episode 80 of Talk Ultra. It’s without doubt the best nutritional advice I’ve ever heard. I’ve just ordered his books.

Well done to everyone on a great Jantastic performance. I think we only missed out on 100% by logging mistakes and injuries.

I much prefer to pace myself with my Garmin hitting lap at the mile markers. If I miss one I just hit it twice at the next one. This way I can adjust slightly due to hills and wind which I’ve found pacers don’t always do. I like to try to keep my HR steady not the pace.

I ran 364 miles in March with 1 rest day which is my second highest ever mileage month. This included two 20+ mile runs and three HM races with a new PB twice.  An average pace of 7:40 and average HR of 132 which is my lowest recorded for around this pace.

My planned 5 x 4 minute intervals at 5k pace within an11 mile run didn’t quite work out as planned this morning. I only managed 5k pace in two intervals with the others closer to HMP. However, I’m not in the least bit concerned as it’s very much ‘icing’ on my very well baked cake at this stage!image I've 5 more miles to do after work, then a 13 mile mlr and 5 mile double tomorrow too. Only 6 on Friday then a final 22+ mile run on Saturday before my taper begins. Phew!

• Options

Excellent half marathon PB Badbark. It has been said a few times, but definitely on the road to a good marathon PB.

Nice set of 1 mile reps Gul.

ssc & oo52, agree about pacers as they will get the time in the end, however I think some of them go out too quick initially. Run your own race in my Mantra.

Great monthly mileage Leslie.

Had a weird 20 miler on Saturday with 7 of my MP miles into the intense wind. To say it sapped the energy from me would be an understatement. Also had a Garmin issue again, so not a smooth run.

March mileage of 244 miles & happy with that. Taper madness has started!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi there kids!  Skim read back tells me all is well as marathon season approaches?

I dipped out of the forums for a few weeks as life has been very busy and to be honest I didn't have anything to bring to the table.

I still haven't but life is a bit easier as I'm on holiday for two weeks image so will keep up!

Lorenzo - is Comrades training going well?

OO - your daughter!! She is a speed machine.  image 

• Options

Minni - good to see that you're still alive and kicking. How's the tri stuff going? Comrades training going well - consistently doing 50+ mile weeks with plenty of hills in them, along with at least 8x20+ mile runs so far this year. Another 30 miler planned for the weekend. Less than 2 months to go now!

Any news from Poacher?

Badbark - look forward to seeing you at London although I suspect you'll be on your third beer by the time I get to the pub!

I presume it's another thread meet up at Chandos this year?

Slightly sluggish hill reps session for me this morning.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've caught up with Poacher a couple of times and he seems to be carrying a bit of an injury but you know him, as tough as nails, so will it stop him? I doubt it!

Tri training is happening. Running still feels slow and I'm deliberately limiting the amount I do. Loving the bike but the swimming seems to be heading in lolthe wrong direction! The more I learn the less I seem to know. I've decided to throw some money at it and having one to one lessons. I feel like a five year old and actually have to bite back the tears at times!!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-almost there now ,great monthly miles..

KR-wind always makes it much tougher .,good miles.

Minni-practice makes perfect 

after nightshift this morn 4x400m then 4x800m then 1mile all at 6:10 to 6:15 pace (mile 6:12), 9 miles in total , a tough session image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

OMG now I know the real reason I couldn't manage my target interval pace this morning. I've got Chicken Pox! I've about 200 spots already. Eek!image

• Options

Badbark - great half marathon pb and impressive mileage.  Sorry about the chicken pox, I had them as an adult and it wasn't pleasant.  Not helped by everyone else thinking it is hilarious.

Easy 7 yesterday, 258 for March.  12 today at a comfortable 7:49 in what can only be described as interesting weather.  Started into a strong wind getting shot blasted by snow and hail and finished in sunshine.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

223 for March

a tad concerned as very tired still from Sunday I believe, today was meant to be a double day, did the first run then lost mojo completely. Listened to body and didnt force myself out. Will see how planned track session goes tomorrow

Take care

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark- that doesn't sound goodimage I had it at 16 and it was very nasty and painful and spent weeks in bed.

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Badbark - hope things are ok soon.  

15 miles tonight, in wind, rain and cold! Is this still winter training?!? image

• Options

Hope you are seeking treatment for that Badbark and get a speedy recovery.

That looks a tough session indeed Leslie and a good pace throughout.

Good monthly mileages JF2 & RFJ. Know what you mean about feeling the weekend run in your legs, just about got my mojo back tonight.

9 miles in 7.21 av pace tonight, all done in daylight for a change.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - really sorry to hear you've got Chicken Pox - hope you can get a full recovery in time.
    KR - enjoy the taper!
    Minni - have a good holiday.
    Lorenzo - another 30 miler? Hope it goes well.
    Leslie - good session there.
    JF2 - cracking miles for March.
    RFJ - hopefully a bit of rest is all you need.
    ssc - wind seems to have died down now.
    KR - no daylight early in the morning now image
    3 mile recovery run d&d.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Oof Badbark, hope you recover soon. Seems criminal to pick that up when you are on such good form.

Stick with it Minni. I've done a lot of work on my swim technique over the past 6 months and got immediately slower too. However I'm now swimming as quick as I was before but with less effort. I'm now sure that if I ramped up my swim training I'd get faster whereas I'd definitely plateaud before.

Solid campaign tree Lorenzo. Do you feel any different from how you would from your normal marathon buildup?

Last day at work was good fun and only mildly hungover this morning. Off to Barcelona today for a weekend of debauchery (let's call it aggressive tapering).
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Yeap, mojo back again tonight at the track, 5 x 1km (4:07, 4:06, 4:03, 3:59, 3:55) and 5 x 200m (44, 43, 42, 43, 44) all off 200m rec

Car fixed for free (fuel hose replacement - nice fellas right on closing time too) but got stung by the dentist £51:80 for a filling repair - 8 mins in the chair.....)

Not good Badbark and thats after your recent good performances too.

Nice session Leslie (I like the 800 / 400 session)

Nice pace KR

Minni - Enjoy the holiday

Take care all

• Options

Nice one RFJ - glad to hear you've got your mojo back.

Hope you recover quickly Badcluck, I mean Badbark

Good question SJ and not sure if I really know the answer.

I probably feel more tired, but I suspect that's more of a function of being busy at work and life in general, and then still having to get up early to fit the running in. I've done less speed work / tempo runs that I would have done as part of a "normal" marathon campaign, and done more hilly stuff but I've actually surprised myself with how I've got on in the last couple of races so maybe I'm starting to reap the benefit from the extra mileage.

To be honest, I'm still a bit apprehensive about Comrades - the distance per se isn't the worry as I've done close to that in the past but it's the other factors (hills, heat) that are the unknowns and in the case of the heat difficult to replicate before the big day. I know how I felt at the end of a relatively flat 48 mile ultra (i.e. pretty knackered)  so I'm hoping I'll enjoy second half a bit more this time around.

Sorry for the ramble - should have mentioned it was a gentle commuting run today Time to get some shuteye before tomorrow's long run. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Minni - good to have you back, and exercising too image    

Badbark - bad luck with the C Pox - hope you soon over it . . . .

good sessions from Leslie(especially after nights), and RFJ

Lorenzo - your apprehension is, I think, natural for an event of Comrades magnitude. As you say, it isn't the distance per se, but a host of other factors. The act of flying to another continent, and the history of Comrades, would make it seem "bigger" than doing a similar distance ultra nearer home, in my mind. 
    Hope today's long one is going/has gone well  . . .

on which subject I can report my final long run - 20.6 - done today. Very grey, dank, misty, but 4 solo, 10 with pal, 6.5 solo to conclude did the job. As Saturday is my usual "go long" day, today gives 81 miles in last 7 days.
    So, last 13 weeks have yielded 11 runs between 20 & 23 miles, a 16.5 cutback, and a 1:29:32 half mara, which has led me to have unfamiliar quandary re pacing for VLM. Will canvass opinion later, but bathtime now . . . .

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Greetings, thread. Will do a read back soon but had taken some time out as lots on at work plus a very unhappy tummy on Wednesday and Thursday. It meant I was in two minds about today's Maidenhead 10 but ultimately a reasonable but not spectacular result: 63.05. Probably lost the minute I wanted through a combination of caution (re: state of guts) and concentration, but I did at least redeem myself in the last mile (6.05) so perhaps a better build up and more commitment from the off would have at least equalled half marathon pb pace.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Seems a decent effort in the circs, Jools . . . . . .

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I think Comrades will be epic Lorenzo. The apprehension is part of the magic!

I've just come up to the roof terrace to have a swim. A few folks sat around as I strip off and put the goggles on and then jump into the pool. It's like bloody ice water. I'll bet Ullswater is warmer right now. Everyone starts chuckling as I'm gasping for breath. None of them warned me did they? No! 4 lengths of an allegedly heated 10meter pool later I've got out with brain freeze.  image 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

RFJ-Nice reps , at least a filling shouldn't hurt too much image

Birch- a cracking week and a cracking campaign if you have bagged so many 20's most struggle for 5 of them image 

Lorenzo-You will be fine ,heat probably the biggest problem so drink plenty and easy on the pace in the first half and see how it goes !image

Slokey-no doubt the clips on youtube already image

4 easy ones this morn .

• Options
    For me a race of two halves. I was feeling heavy and slow all week and not looking forward to the Maidenhead 10 but it was a club champs race and close enough to London so maybe would be a poor turnout but as the event filled up, more fast Datchet boys turned up and I was slowly moving my estimated finish position down.

Had a nice chat with lots of nice people before the race. Weather was good for running: no wind and cool with a mist hanging in the air. Gun goes and set off. Plan was somewhere round 62:30 or 6:15 per mile and started with a 5:56 but well back behind a bunch of people I usually beat. Mile 2 6:08 and mile 3 5:58 so 3 miles in 18:02 which was nice as I have been nowhere near 6 minute pace recently even at a parkrun. Through 5 in 30:40 so slowed a bit but the course was not the best there, and back onto pace for 6 and 7 so 7 miles in 43:04 compared with the target of 43:45.

At 7 the course changed greatly and we were on pavements and they were uneven and rough and had rises and falls for drives etc. This just killed my rhythm totally and I tried to stay on the road but was told to get back on the pavement by marshals so did for some of the time. Held pace reasonably well and the Garmin was saying it was close to target but the Garmin was beeping well before the mile markers and I got to 10 on the Garmin at 62:34 and the finish 22 seconds later.

Saw Jools briefly at the finish but I wasn't in a good state to chat and had to be home by 11 so needed to leg it back to the car and off.

Overall pleased with the run. I can't say I liked the course and had it been smooth road all the way I would have hit the target. Got a bonus as two Datchet guys ahead were running under different colours and I overtook a third at 7 miles so 5th home for the club (and yet 3th vet 40 for the club).

5 weeks now until Marlow 5 and Staines 10k the following week so can really get on the track and get some speed back into the legs. Good base tough: 30:40 at 5 miles into a 10 miler bodes for sub 30 5 miles.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Very brief check in, but 30.6 miles in the bag this morning. Not the most pleasant of routes as it was a planned rendezvous with the family en route to Bristol so it was trying to work out the best way from home to Bracknell without getting lost and large parts of the run were on the grass verge next to A roads.

Refueling stop and a quick change at Sainsbury's then another 2 hours through the roadworks on the M4. Suffice to say getting out of the car was a bit of a challenge!

Well run at Maidenhead PMJ and Jools.

Time for me to have a shower now!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

SJ - "I've just come up to the roof terrace to have a swim"   - not a phrase I'll be uttering any time soon image   

good work Lorenzo - and another phrase I will never utter - 
    another 2 hours through the roadworks on the M4"  image

beer beckons here later - bonus of going long today instead of tomorrow 

incidentally, today's outing took the Asics 1170's to 1015 miles, so i'll retire (bin) them now - too battered to sanitise & use as everyday loafers. That's 3 pairs of shoes I've gone to 1,000 miles in during last 18 months or so, and legs (particularly old injury sites) feel strong and tough  . . . .

(I guess that's fate tempted now ) . . . . . 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great miles, Lorenzo, really impressive.

Nice report PMJ. Good running again.

Final double digit run out of the way for me today. 10 miles at MP turned into 10 miles at 7.15 as it felt comfy just tapping it out at that pace. I went for a sports massage on Wednesday (my first) and it really seems to have helped my legs.

Just a few short runs between now and Brighton. Will do my beer carbo load over this weekend! image

Campaign stats currently show 59 runs, 506 miles averaging 7.38 pace.
    7.38 was my mara PB pace last year, so let's hope I'm quicker next week.

GD

• Options

Couldn't you eek out another 155 miles Birch, to make the mileage match the model?

• Options

Fantastic 10 mile times Jools & PMJ - can I borrow some of that endurance pace?

Brilliant mileage Birch and shoe longevity.

Lorenzo, most people would do those 30.5 miles in a car anyway. Good mileage.

Great 10 mile pace G-Dawg, good luck for Brighton.