Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - Goodman. 4 week plans seem to be de rigueur image Nice run as well!

Gul - Are you not tempted by Manchester at all?

Had a window of opportunity to squeeze in 25 mins of running tonight as my boy was on a cubs scavenger hunt. Decided to tackle some of the hilly section of the Jsy Autumn half marathon course, I planned on only doing 1.5 miles up and then back down. Set off with a bit of c'mon let's do this attitude and without a warm up I looked at the Garmin and thought sweet Jeebus, 7:20mm pace feels hard, anyway I soon got into a nice rhythm and the hills didn't seem to bother me and I continued to focus on a nice honest effort but not too crazy. Got to halfway in 10:4x and felt great so put the hammer down to test the water and knees, as I've had issues this year when running down hill and completed the 2nd half in 8:55. Checked the Garmin and it wasn't quite 3 miles but 2.9 and I felt nice and bouncy and not out of breath either which was good. If I can nail a few more of those runs in the next month or so I'll be happy. In other news I spooked a rather large group of Jersey cows in a field and I can confirm they can run fast and It made me realise I have no excuse and need to do more speed work!image

• Options

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Nice to have such good support here! The fizz looked me over pretty well today and isn't sure exactly what I have have but it is likely not osteitis pubis, but more likely related to my abdominals where they connect into the pubic bone. She did some tender point therapy (basically pushing hard onto the tender areas, then moving your leg until the tenderness is relieved and then just holding that spot for 90 seconds…sounds simple and it gives great results as the pain just melts away). So I had some pretty tender muscle tissue down there that she seems to have released a bit. This took away my residual pain pretty much instantly. I went for a 6 mile run after and it was fine (no pain during or after) but no telling what that means as might not have been long enough to trigger anything anyway. Her advice was that I should be able to race but will likely need some downtime after. But based on the mileage I've managed through this injury she said she's pretty confident I can get around. So like many have suggested, I'm in! What the hell, I'd always wonder how it could have gone if I sat out.

So will try 7 tomorrow with 2 at MP, get more treatment Thursday, do 4 or 5 Friday, then Sat off again and see what's what Sunday.

SJ, you are fearless. I'll send my best karma that you pull off your usual magic. Agree that i could sit the rest of the week out so may try to drop one of the remaining sessions (that's really hard for my OCD brain to process though!).

• Options

SJ - caffeine taper image
    Birch - hope the legs have perked up now.
    Abbers - nicely ticking over.
    GM - good impromptu hilly run. Manchester is very tempting, but I don't think it's a goer for me unfortunately.
    VTr - not too bad a diagnosis. Hope it works out for you on Sunday.
    6.1 recovery miles this morning.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I liked the Manchester marathon - plus points are that the transport to the start/finish is excellent - you can park your car very close for a fee or the tram stop is a short walk with links to other public transport.  Also it is very flat, although there are 4(?) canal/railway bridges.

Good news VTR

I was born in Sheffield Birch, and lived in Dronfield until I was 4 when we moved to Preston.  Not much memories really other than the hills, Redgates toy department, friends and home life.  Mum and Dad and Granny gave lots of stories though so I know quite a lot about Sheffield through them.

8miles last night with 5x600m at 5km pace.  It was very windy so they came out at 'optimistic' 5km pace to slower than 10km pace depending on my direction to the wind - still a good session and a confidence booster after a few difficult weeks.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

That's good news, VtR.

16 x 250m off 45s for me last night to remind my legs what real speed feels like and hopefully make something between 6.20s and 6.25s feel cruise-y come race day, which is now surprisingly close.  How time flies!

• Options
    PJFrizzle wrote (see)
    PMJ - some great running, what are you going to follow by way of a plan for you spring sub 3?

Plan for sub-3 is three-fold.

Step 1. Gradually increase the long run in training from 13 to 20 miles between now and Christmas. This means runs of 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 miles. That is a maximum of one long run a week for the 10 weeks until the end of this year. This is just base so no big miles and no MLR.

Step 2. Do a few more runs of 20 miles or so at the start of 2016 up to Feb 14th which is Bramley 20.

Step 3. Do a 10 week P&D plan from Bramley to VLM. This is full on with LSR and MLR and all the rest of the bumpf that allows P&D to deliver good results but also stresses the body.

• Options

PMJ - cool. I was thinking of using the P&D philosophy ( if that even makes sense) to focus on speed, MP runs & tempo runs at sub 3 target pace and take Sunday's to run up to 15m as a LSR then race a few HM and 10k. Then 18 weeks out move into the same P&D schedule as Berlin but use 6:45mm as the marathon pace And introduce the LSRs and a tune up races ( never did any tune up work on last campaign) 

i figure the most important part is working around a new MP target of 6:45min miles.

• Options

PJF-I'm mostly just walking now ,20 mile a week .

KR- Oops another mara entered ,you should do well ,no pressure bla bla don't be ...image

GUL-cracking early pace.

Slokey-get well soon

VTR- you get that hammer down on Sunday image

Jools -that's barely mara pace for you now !

Meanwhile here on the bench !

Podiatrist last night, foot scanner and I need insoles apparently to try to correct over pronation much worse on bad leg not surprisingly but Nike Pegasus are  perfect for me oh and my calves are tight despite stretching them every day image

Physio today and once I get the insoles I am ready for the road but no more than 3 miles ,not sure if that's each day but I will decide that for myself ! image

• Options

BI, nice to hear you got some mojo back. That sounds like a good, hard session to get the carbon out of the engine. Same for Jools!

PMJ, you are dialed in with a sound plan. You seem to be a great tactician in all phases of this running business.

PJF, that 6:45 m/m is where I hope to be at some point in the next few years. While I got close to that in some training runs this year, no way I think I could sustain it over the full distance. Long term goal category for me (but my top goal!). Good luck as you take aim at sub3 down the road.

Leslie, 3 miles is 3 miles. That is awesome because a week at 3 miles every other day will quickly climb to many more miles per day in future weeks!!image

Did the random P&D dress rehearsal today (6 M w/2 a MP). Run went well, no flare up or pain. So just one more short jaunt before Sunday now. Hopefully 6 days of no aggravation to the injury will help.

• Options

PJF, I find P&D is a good plan to put the finishing touches on a campaign but I find it too intense for the full 18 weeks or so, so I now opt for the shorter P&D plans but put in a big chunk of distance / endurance work beforehand.

The way I look at it, the pace for a marathon is not a killer. Sub 3 is 6:52 per mile or thereabouts, and I can race shorter distances at something round 6:15 so pace is fine.

Also distance is not a killer, so I have run a few marathons before and know I can do them and always bag a good dose of 20+ milers in the campaign. This year I am also going to put in a few time on the feet runs so I actually go over 3 hours in training and I have a few ultra buddies who are happy for me to tag along at 9 minutes per mile for a morning.

What is a killer is the combination of distance and speed and that is where P&D score big time, so get the endurance done, have the pace in the bag, then mix them together for a while and turn out a nicely baked cake.

Just over a half at lunchtime (13.75): out over Wormwood Scrubs then along the Grand Union Canal, a lap of Wembley stadium as it was rich in fetch flowers and then reverse route home. 7:24 average pace and the 13.1 in about 1:36:42

• Options

VTR & PMJ - thanks for the wisdom. I genuinely don't know whether it's achievable although like you PMJ I can run the distance and have the speed in shorter races. VTR maybe you are being polite to me! It might be more realistic to go 3:05 ish in Spring 3:00 ish in Autumn then go for the big one in Spring 2017. But I do think it's worth a pop and if I can do it without breaking then it's worth a shot. As I say I'm not massively experienced and don't run with anyone or a club so your expertise is welcome.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

well, Bike It - the hills are still here - pleased you had a positive run . . . . . .

Leslie - 3 miles is a start  . . .

VTr - reassuring run there  . . .

decided on a rest day y'day (one of those "am I being lazy, or do I really need a rest" posers) , did 9 this evening , legs still feeling Sunday's XC, so quite slow and stiff-legged feeling.  results up now for the XC - 4th V60 - 3rd place 9 seconds ahead ( first two well clear), so at least  I can target a podium for the series . . .

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - A tactical sounds much more engaging than racing against the clock. Nice half and a bit run at a decent pace too.

Leslie - Good news.

VTr - Positive stuff!

Gul  - Great mile reps there. Are you going to do another parkrun this w/end? I too am tempted by Manchester but undecided as yet. Sounds like a good one to do.

Birch - A very achievable target there, nice one. I should really get some XC done this Autumn/winter, although I'm rubbish at turning corners never mind running up sticky muddy hills.

PJF - Your targets sound very doable. I too would like to get my time down in increments and have a crack at a sub 3 effort before it's too late. I'm not blessed with massive pace but 6:52mm as PMJ rightly says, is not so fast and piecing together all the other bits could mean a fair crack at the whip is possible. I like the sound of P&D. How many marathons have you done?

Jools  - Nice sesh and not long now. A friend of mine and her hubby from Jsy are doing it, she broke sub 3 in London for the 1st time last year in 2:57 I believe and her hubby did 2:30. She's 42 and getting quicker and he's 43 and getting quicker. Maybe there's hope for me yet.image

• Options

Bike It - Good to hear you've had a decent session off the back of tough times

KR - Nice long run after your lay off

VTr - Glad the physio gave you the green light.  Here's hoping that's you miraculously healed!

Leslie - Progress!  Onward and upwards.  I've insoles too, they've done the power of good.

Abbers - Your second sport?!  You mean there are others?  Well dug in with your HM effort.

PJF/GM - I've not done Manchester but loved Paris.  Starting on the Champs Elysee means you've got a really wide road and you're straight into your stride, so nothing like (I imagine) London to be, nor as congested as Berlin.  Probably a touch slower than Manchester, mind, as there are a couple of short tunnel exits.

Ten miles completed last night, five as to/from the club session.  Plan is to keep that up for the Tues/Thurs sessions to maintain a decent - for me - mileage during the winter when I've tended to slack off a bit.

• Options

Bike It - nice speed work.
    Jools - just how close is it now?
    PMJ - a man with a plan! Just need a canal nowimage Good MLR.
    PJF - good target.
    Leslie - you'll be raring to go!
    VTr - good news.
    Birch - nice result.
    GM - if parkrun were before 7am I would run one most weeks! Last weekend was a bit of an exception unfortunately.
    Meadower - nice club session sandwich!
    Tried out the interval setting on my watch this morning and discovered it doesn't give you split times or should I say distances! It's set up by time rather than distance, so I did 12 x 1:45 / 1:15. I was aiming for relaxed tempo and imagined around 400m/200m per rep. Total mileage for the interval session was a tiny bit short of 5 miles, so covered a bit more ground than I had planned (would have been just under 4.5 I think). So a fraction over 7m/m. Total miles this morning 10 at just over 8m/m.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Gul: week on Sunday.  Although just discovered that the tour company I booked through bizzarely gave me a predicted finishing time of 3.30 (!) so currently waiting for race organisers to reply to my email pleading for an upgrade to the fast pen.  Grrrr.

• Options
    Joolska wrote (see)

Grrrr.

The new Scrabble word list allows grr with two r's but not 4, so 0 points for that. onesie, cakehole, obvs and podiumed are allowed but my spell checker is marking them all in red.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

It's no longer even "grr": nice, efficient organisers have already replied saying I am now in pen 1.  Ah, big city events in the UK: you have so much to learn!

• Options
    Which race are you doing Jools?
  • Options
    And why were you obvs jamming something into your cakehole in a onesie?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Ich bin ein Frankfurter

• Options
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Ich weiB das (sorry, don't know how to type the funny S from a British keyboard)

• Options
    ich werde Sie an der Startlinie zu sehen!
  • Options
  • Options
    Good effort Gul!
  • Options

ß is alt 225.

My proverbial friend had a problem when he parked his car, noted the street and later couldn't find it. He asked many passers by where Einbahnstraße was but only got odd looks.

edit: Gul was way faster.

• Options

There's a first time for everythingimage

• Options
    Who'd a thunk German was such a fun language...
  • Options
    I suggest we converse in a "language of the day"

Spanish tomorrow? Que esta en?