Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in East London Lorenzo so am familiar with some of those stations. You certainly wouldn't catch me running through Whitechapel 😂
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Barking. 'Nuff said.

Good effort Fish, perhaps a tilt at the hour record beckons?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That guy over your left shoulder thinks you are Barking... ;)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Poacher, sorry to hear things aren't improving. Fingers crossed for the 2nd opinion.

Fish, decent bike speed. I haven't got my rd bike out for 2 years now. Running just seems to dominate.

PMJ, nice racing. I must say I do quite fancy that vitality 10k. Looks a decent event.

Hope the foot is OK, Gul?

SBD- Assume you decided against Hull? Yesterday was lovely running conditions and as you say, quite Autumnal.

Jools, good decision  making!

Leslie, hope the hammy is ok now?

Lorenzo, well done on some more bonkers tube running!

G-dawg, good to see you back at it from hols. Stunning pic.

Menn, if you are still reading...I am intrigued how you have made the progress, particularly from going sub 3? Is it just the cumulative result of successive campaigns and mileage or have you had to pull other things out of the bag. I note you knocked booze on the head. Anything else outside of training that you feel progressed you? I kind of feel that if I was going to progress much beyond where I am now my progress to this point would have been quicker so I think now the peak of my ambition is to perhaps go sub 2.55 at a stretch.

I've ticked over this week with easy 4 and spin on Monday, then my first tempo session Tuesday of 6 miles. Felt really crap and struggled to a 6.42 average, just 2 s per mile slower than what my garmin has my average pace in London at! 9 miles in total though.

A nice easy but hilly 8 yesterday and 14 planned tonight (Saturday may end up messy so getting the hard work in early). Might get along to parkrun Saturday and use that to replace my mile repeats session. It'll at least get me out and done before it gets hot. Worcester is closed as it's ladies day at the races so if I do I will go to Canon Hill in Brum. My course pb there is 19.03 but that was 2 years ago so I will target just sub 19.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - cautious is good, sometimes :)
    OO - Steve Winwood principle.
    Mennania - great work, however you managed to get there.
    Fish - steady progress and good biking. Foot seems fine, thank you.
    Leslie - training is dangerous. Perhaps you should just race.
    GD  - that's a speedy mile.
    SBD - have you decided against Hull HM?
    Lorenzo - love the photo. Hope you don't stop and take a selfie at the end of each lap tonight.
    DT - good week of training.
    Mrs GD and Miss GD the younger wanted to go to IKEA yesterday, so went along for the ride (to Nottingham) and took the opportunity to pop into Decathlon and buy a pair of trail shoes in anticipation of the 100km race. Probably could get away with road shoes, but worth investing in a pair anyway especially if I'm going to be doing more off-road running. Ironically, I've agreed to give the 100km a miss! Will need to re-think. Back to running today. Did 14 miles with 9 tempo miles @ 6:51/m.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Gul/DT - Hull HM would involve an overnight stay and there is a lot going on at home at the moment so no England vest chasing for me on Sunday!  I will probably regret this once I've seen the results but c'est la vie!

A good 5m PB from you DT.  There is a Silverstone 10K on 4 September 2019 - this is the one organised by Silson AC which is normally held in May but was postponed this year.  I will hopefully be there chasing a PB!

It would be a shame not to do the 100K race now you have the shoes Gul!

10K recovery miles this afternoon - all nice and easy.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD I did Silverstone a couple of times when I lived doen there. It's a very quick race indeed-  definite PB potential
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dt maybe you just need to move your ambition up a notch or 2 then figure out how to get there ? 5 mins at a time ! some days it just clicks others are like pulling teeth .. I started reading the sub 3 forum when I had ambitions as its all in there and those guys and gals put the work in no matter what gets in the way ! 
    Gul if you bought the shoes you have to go now no excuses and yes back to plan A for me maybe works as well as anything else !
    Lorenzo nice pic !
    Gdawg that's a cracking mile time 

planned a short run last night but things got in the way again so out tonight with club in monsoon conditions (faired up after we finshed !) 
    5x5 mins with 60 secs static rest all in and around 7:30 pace had to be careful and ease upa bit on the last one as my leg complained but managed to hold on and just walked back the mile to the car .

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBDLeslie  - yes, it is a shame, but I'm going with my family to Tuscany in July and I think they're worried about me getting injured and spoiling the holiday! Will have to look for another ultra later in the summer or early autumn, maybe. Silverstone 10k sounds good, SBD, and well done on surviving another club session, Leslie.
    Broke in my trail shoes this morning with a nice 21 miler, to bring up a slightly disappointing 275 miles for May.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Glad the foot is ok Gul - enjoy your new trail shoes. A whole new running world beckons!
    Nice pic of Barking C2C Lorenzo. In 2016-18 I was working in Purfleet, just a couple of C2C stops further east. I once biked it on my foldy to Euston. Not quite as epic as running it though!

Repeated my Wednesday workout this morning & improved to 22.2mph average. Not bad, but well short of Bradley Wiggins' 33.43mph for the 10 mile TT record for that course. And the hour record now stands at 34.21!
    I'm no triathlete, as I have about as much buoyancy as a lump of Westmorland Green Slate. Followed my bike effort with 2 miles easy running.
    Hoping to be discharged from the fracture clinic today...
  • Options
    My 10k PB is at Silverstone:

1994 and 33:59  http://www.silsonac.org.uk/images/uploaddocs/10k_results_1994.pdf Note I am only the second fastest P Jones that day :-(

Sep 4th looks good, may try that this year.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Looks like a thread outing at Silverstone 10K in September - any volunteers to set a 37:50 pace?

10 miles this evening - a bit sluggish for the first mile but then gradually picked up the pace to 7:25 m/m pace with an average of 7:38 for the run.

271 miles for May, 1 non-running day.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Still reading DT - Your question has prompted me to look back over the last few years and its probably a familiar story for most on here - periods of getting into reallty decent shape with PB results for effort, stopped by injury through overtraining or over racing and then the slow build up again.

The changes ive made, whilst being positive tend to be stopping things rather than adding things - Ive stopped hammering the mileage- Excepting Edi when I overcompensated for the broken toe, which didnt work
    Ive stopped doing more than 1 speed/track session per week  (ie faster than tempo or HMP) as it would always result in a muscular/skeletal injury somewhere -took 3 long injuries before this particular penny dropped, (calf, adductor and stress fracture to heel) so when I do do them I try to do them particularly hard and ive stopped beating myself up if I take slightly longer recoveries or drop an interval .I am totally motivated by pace on those sessions. 
    Ive stopped Strava timing my runs, ie pushing the last 2 miles supposed recoveries in a mlr to get my average below an arbritary number
     ive stopped looking at my watch on any runs that arent specific quality with a specific pace range,
    ive stopped finding excuses to not complete or get out and do my runs so that I am now way more consistent than I used to be.
    I have stopped racing non A races or flogging myself on weekly park runs unless they are part of the training.

I have improved my diet but it is still very poor and too high in poor calories. I have  picked a target time very early on and ensured quality runs correspond. I havent done any core or stretching which is pants.

Edi has taught me that im best at about 55-65 mpw with 3 quality session My 2.39 was off 54 mpw which was a consistent per week average over 12 weeks.  Edi was 55mpw but was 70ave mpw for final 6 weeks and 65ave mpw for final 4 - which was too much.
    I focus on my pace very early in the training cycle and Im best running of a 12 week programme post base build if needed.
    I change my shoes very early on (300 miles or so) and have 3 or four in rotation. I 'over pronate' allegedly but I run in neutrals

Sorry how dull the above is but there is nothing even approaching a magic bullet, just several small gains. 

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Your training talk is far from dull Menn. It's really interesting to read how in tune you have become with your running & training. That you have found a sweet spot for your mileage, as well as addressing the other 'non running' running stuff is a motivating read.

Nice consistent May total there SBD.

Well I don't have to go back to the hospital & doc reckons another 2-3 weeks before my rib is completely healed. The tendon/cartilage damage is better, so my rib is no longer 'slipped' & is back in the correct position. Doc suggested some gentle exercise would be in order, so I took him at his word with 4.1 easy miles over local hills & trails this morning  ;)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Fish but at least you can run!
    Interesting changes you made there Menn, we all continue to tweak and learn even after years of running. I still commit many of the errors you mentioned though 😊

Strange week here- I was hoping for some speed work in prep for track racing next Monday, but a sore hip has held me back and I’ve taken it steady, swam a couple of times, and even had a rest from running yesterday. I came to parkrun feeling fresh today. Ran a nice even paced run around 6 min pace. Finished in 18:27, my fastest in ages and a cracking 84% WAVA. 

Not it sure what the track will bring Monday but I’m up for 800 and 1500M.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    84% WAVA - brilliant stuff, OO  B) 

Menn - not dull, quite the opposite. I never tire of hearing fellow runners' marathon training approach  . . .    
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice WAVA, OO.  And a brilliant PB from yesteryear casually mentioned by PMJ

Mennania: we all learn the hard way that sometimes less is more.

Work has been a bit busy this week, and I was so knackered I cut my recovery run short yesterday at 3 miles after running into a bush in a daze (!) but after a good night's sleep I made it down to parkrun this morning. 20.19 was a 20 second improvement on 4 weeks ago, although I think I made up most of that on the climb up the hill: it seems that my basic leg speed has all but disappeared...  WAVA creeping towards 75% and once I'm back at 75% on that course I'll be relieved.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Need to have a big catch up. Ran my first ever track race today at the Midlands track champs. 17.43.56 so a 22 second PB!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks promising Joolska, I’m sure you can get more speed if that’s what required.
    I assume that was a 5k Stevie- very impressive Sir!
  • Options
    Wow - excellent performances from both Stevie and OO.

Some great advice there Mennania - always very helpful 

Gul - how can you be disappointed with "only" 275 miles in May - I only managed 173 although I'm ahead of you if I throw the bike miles in there as well!  ;)

Were you at Ashton Court for that run Jools?

First track session of the season for me on Thursday: (800+600+400) x 3 on legs that were still a bit tired from Tuesday's run so was slower than I was hoping for, but at least it's a starter for ten. Parkrun this morning at Homewood - a very pleasant course through woods for the most part although the twists and turns made it difficult to get into any rhythm and the heat and the ups and downs meant that a fast time was going to be a challenge. Under the circumstances 21:29 was OK but not great - once I've got a couple more tube runs out of the way, I'll be focusing more on speed over the summer.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m not surprised Lorenzo after those big runs around London. Give those poor pegs a chance to recover old bean 👍
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Stevie.

TRFKAL: yes, Ashton Court.  That's why 75% is an initial target there.  I've actually never managed to break 77%, so that's one of this year's hopefully achievable goals.  Nice return to speedwork on what must be knackered legs for you.

14 miles this morning early doors ahead of a 7 hour orchestra rehearsal.  Total body workout today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Snap! A plodding 14 miles here too. 46 for the week, my highest since London.
    800 and 1500 on the track tomorrow. I might even round it off with a pop at the 200 meters.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Fish - pleased to hear all is progressing well, if slowly, with your ribs. That cycling speed sounds fast to a non-biker like me.
    SBD - great miles for May.
    Mennania - thanks for the post on your training - makes for very interesting reading.
    OO  - 84%! Fantastic, you are flying at the moment. All the best for the track races today.
    Jools - onwards and upwards, but just watch out for obstacles on the way! Good early morning run.
    Stevie - wow, that's a very impressive time and PB. Well done.
    Lorenzo - after your tube runs, not surprising that your legs are a bit tired! All good training though for your aerobic engine. Only slightly disappointed with May's mileage - I'm hoping to top last year's total (3000); still on track, but July will be a low mileage month, so need to keep a bit in hand.
    After a very early start on Friday, I decided to have a rest on Saturday, forgetting that I wouldn't be running on Sunday, so a 2 day rest this weekend :) Only 3 runs last week, but still managed 46 miles, so happy enough with that. So a late start to June this morning with 14 miles including some "hill" sprints.

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Time for a big catch up:

Fish - Glad the ribs are starting to heal up, you are pretty speedy on the bike!
    Leslie - Speedy 5k and that is an incredible time by Tommy Hughes!
    Menn - Absolutely brilliant performance at Edinburgh especially in the conditions. Really interesting to read your progression and training as well
    Lorenzo - Ive been loving the pictures and reading about the tube runs!
    PMJ - Good run at Vitality, I can get a free place through my club so might do it next year. I'd like to do the mile/10k double
    Poacher - I hope you get a better diagnosis from the 2nd opinion
    Speedy - How did you get on at the 10k?
    SBD - That's a big total for May for someone who has lost their Mojo! I think the September 10k will be too close to Kenilworth half for me but I think I might do the 10k or half at the November event
    Gul - Hows your foot after the DIY accident?

Mini race report from Saturday:

Really wanted to try out racing on the track this summer so had a look to see what 5/10k races were available. Struggled to find ones that fitted in so ended up entering the Midlands Track Championships. The week before the race I saw the entry list and realised I was massively out of my depth! The next slowest PB was 16.34, considered sacking it off for a while before I came back to my senses.

Got to Nuneaton with plenty of time so registered and then watched some of the 800 races and the long jumpers. Set out for my warm up around 50 mins before the start time. Was trying to drink plenty of water as it was around 22 degrees, luckily with some cloud cover! Finished the warm up and then put my vest and race shoes on and did my final couple of strides before I went over to the start line. Also took my watch off as I had decided to race without it. Got allocated lane 8 on the front start line and given my hip number to attach, felt like a professional! We were given our final instructions and then we lined up.

Gun went and we were off! Plan was to try and stick on the back of the pack for as long as I could unless it went off too quickly. First 400 came up in 1.15 then 800 in 2.30, I knew from here that I wasn't going to be staying with them for long! The 1600 split came in at 5.21, my previous fastest ever mile was 5.42! I had let everyone else go from this point and was running on my own. Hit the 3k split in 10.30, I was breathing hard but my legs felt alright and I didn't think I was slowing down too much. I think it was in the next couple of laps where I got lapped by the leaders and the following group. Was still feeling ok, but the headwind down the back straight was getting tough!

After I'd been lapped I had my own personal official telling me how many laps I had left which was good! Had a smile with him every lap as I informed him that I was also counting. The clock stopped when the winner crossed the line so I'm not sure what my last lap split was. Tried to push as hard as I could from the bell then kicked for home at about 150m! Took me a good 5-10mins to get my breath back! Treated myself to a burger whilst waiting for the results, was absolutely chuffed to see 17.43 and my first sub 18! Really enjoyed the track racing experience and looking forward to my 10000m in a couple of weeks. Standard is lower there so I will get a race!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done, Stevie - great report even better result !!   B) 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Stevie, I discovered track racing a couple of years back. It's a different animal but I love the meetings and the fast times help massively with your road racing.Much more enjoyable if you can find races where you are competitive rather than hanging off the back.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Stevie.  As and when fitness and time permit I dabble with 3000s for the club in the Midland League and they are good fun.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

OO  - I think I'm going to enter the sub 17.30 race at the 5000m track challenge in Notts. Will be able to compete in that!

Someone suggested I join another club as 2nd claim so I can compete in the Midland League Jools, will be considering it for next year!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Stevie, well done Sir! Cracking report, that.

Ticking over, here. Had a superb day at the cricket last Thursday where one of the greatest catches ever happened right in font of me. A good beer day too.
    The following day I was fine and went for 8 miles on the trails before heading off to pick up the new car. The old one died 6 weeks ago, so it's nice to have my own wheels again.

Met some chums on the trails early on Saturday for 12 easy miles and rested yesterday. May also rest tonight as I have an adductor issue hanging around from the recent ultra. 

Track tomorrow and the Crisis charity 10km in the City on Thursday.