Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Where is Stevie? Hope the multiple steins of German beer haven't caused a hangover too serious to be able to pen his report of triumph.

VT - great mileage; that many LRs are really going to help in the latter stages of the mara. I think if you have done enough MP in other runs you should be good.

OO - good result despite your thoughts on the time.

Ran (swam?) club progression last night in torrential rain; took it fairly steady, from 8:00/mile down to 6:00/mile for the 5 total. New waterproof, breathable jacket appears to be not waterproof nor breathable.

Got to decide on what is the best session tonight - up to 6x1km with the club or 3 x 2mile at threshold pace off long recovery - 2 weeks to HM race - any thoughts?
  • Options
    Hello all! Havent had a full catch up but I can see you are all chomping at the bit for a report. Apologies for the delay, busy afternoon in Berlin and then travelling yesterday meant no time for report writing!

Berlin Marathon 2019

Berlin had been the target all year and training had gone well indicated I had a shot at my ambitious sub 2.45 goal. Arrived in Berlin on Friday morning so after leaving the luggage at the hotel we headed straight for the expo. Its located in the old Tempelhof airport building which was really good to see, have to say the organisation left a lot to be desired though. Had to stand in a long queue to have my wristband put on and then walk through the entire expo to get to number pick up at the end. Again there was another long queue to get into the pick up area with people skirting down the sides and jumping in at the front. The positive note was on the way through I put my email address into a computer on the Hoka stand and found out I'd won a pair of Cliftons! Had a little look round the rest of the expo then headed back to the hotel.

Saturday morning I met up with a mate who had come over from the states and did a short shakeout run including some strides in front of the Brandenburg gate which were cool. Spent the rest of the day taking in the sights on a bus tour and relaxing before the traditional Italian dinner.

Race morning I set off at 8 to meet my mate who's hotel was round the corner. Narrowly avoided a disaster as last minute I realised I hadn't even thought about attaching my chip to my shoe! Luckily spotted a lady in the lift with hers which reminded me! Met Nath then took the short walk to the start area, after the obligatory toilet stops we walked towards the starting pens. The wheelchair race was just about to begin so Pens A & B weren't open, we wrongly assumed this would be the same for C. After the race started we walked over to C to find it was open and absolutely rammed. Some bright spark had decided the entrance should be at the front of then pen which meant there was no way to get in. So we had to jump over the fence which I was very reluctant to do 20 mins before a marathon! Also we noticed that strangely for a 2.50-3.00 pen the 3hour pacer was next to us and another one at the front! We knew this would be a problem but hoped we could clear through the traffic quickly and get on pace.

Gun went off and we tried to get through the crowds as quickly as possible, this proved to be a problem. The first 5k split came up in 20.13 so we were already 40s down on target pace. We skipped the first water station to try and take advantage of the gaps opening up. At around 9k it finally opened up and we could try and get on pace. Even so we hit the 10k marker 90s on pace, started thinking here that 2.45 but could be off but I couldn't let myself write it off that early. 5k split was 20.04.

Over the next km or so I decided I was going to need to go for it from here if I was going to make the time up. So coming out of a water station I kicked on, unfortunately this coincided with Nath getting stitch so this is the last I saw of him on the course. My garmin measured mile 7 as 5.54 which I was sure couldn't be right as it didn't feel that fast. Tried to keep 6.10 pace up which felt fairly comfortable. Saw my coach on course at 13k who told me to try and make the time up gradually, he later told me he wondered what had happened in the first 10k as the splits were so slow. My garmin had me averaging 6.03 pace for 10-15k (18.47 pace) however my official split was 19.53. I was struggling a bit to work out where I needed to be timewise so just concentrated on keeping the hammer down and trying to stick to the blue line.

Saw my parents and girlfriend at halfway which was a nice boost and came through in 1.24.09 so still 90s down. my watch was reading 13.57m at this point. Tried a mental calculation and thought it if could get my average Garmin pace down to 6.10 I might still do it. 20k split was 19.43 and 25k at 19.42. Spotted the chairman of our club at 28k who was struggling with stitch. Shouted some encouragement at him as I went passed. There had a been a few minor rain showers by this point and I was starting to struggle for grip from my On's. Also noticed my hamstrings were aching slightly which I tend to find in slippy conditions. Kept the hammer down and concentrated on overtaking people. 30-35k was my fastest split of the day in 19.39. 

Started to stuggle at around 4km out and it also started raining heavier. While still just about overtaking people I could see my pace was dropping and I couldn't go any faster. Saw my coach at 39k who gave me some encouragement when I told him I had nothing left! Was just trying to drag myself past people at this point. Passed 40k at 2.39.21 (20.39) so knew sub 2.45 was off. Took all my willpower not to just jog it in as I was really struggling. Got a huge shout out from my family at the Brandenburg Gate and picked my pace up for the final 500m. Felt a twinge of cramp in my hamstring as I went for the full sprint so kept a lid on it.

2.48.05 final time which is a PB of 5.12. I wont lie and admit I was a tiny bit disappointed at the finish, in hindsight though its a huge PB in only my 4th marathon and I left everything out there which is always the target. Took me 30mins to get back to my family as there was no signage and unhelpful marshalls. Was drenched and cold by this point. Had a few celebratory beers in the hotel and met back up with Nath who while disappointed still managed a small PB in 2.55. Then headed to the BRLO brewhouse for some more beers and met up with my coach and some more of his athletes.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Stevie. Interesting how shambolic the organisation is. Makes you realise just how very impressive and slick London is. What was the wrist band for? I assume to access expo? I think a lower key marathon will get you the 2.45. Do you think you actually ran as far as far as your gps recorded?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, well done on the sub 20 in Cardiff. I'm sure you've got sub 19 no probs. My sessions last week were 6 x 1m at hmp of 1 minute and a 7m tempo.

SBD, some interesting stuff re that progression in your training over the years. Good solid weeks mileage.

OO- Congrats on the 10k win, particularly following a decent parkrun.

Gul, yes half is this coming sunday. Forecast is already looking pretty windy unfortunately.

VT- sounds like you are in a good place there. When is the mara?

I did an easy 15 sunday with a pick up in the 2nd half. Yesterday was the usual 4m at recovery and then spin in the evening. Today was a tune up session pre race of 10 x 2 mins off 1 min at half-10kp. Reps felt controlled averaging 6.15, progressing so that the last 4 were all sub 6.10. I have little confidence in my shape for Sunday however, so I hope I am pleasantly surprised!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Excellent work Stevie. Those races give you a lot of unnecessary stress so I'm sure you'll go faster next time. Sounds like a fab experience with family and friends.
  • Options
    DT - Looking on Strava most people have 26.4-26.5 even Matt Clowes who ran 2.13 off the elite start recorded 26.4. I definitely ran extra in the first 10-15k with all the weaving round to overtake. The wristband was to get into the number collection area and to get into the start area on raceday. Hope Sunday goes better then you expect.  Our club are short for the national relays so I may have to race, really hoping I don't though
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    quick delurk to say a big "well done" to Stevie - great progress; well earned and deserved
    B) 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking stuff, Stevie. Wicked Skills, mate. Unbelievable that there was a tad of disappointment, that's a HUGE PB for someone operating at the pointy end of a major marathon. Plenty of other races to chop those extra few minutes off if you want to. Definitely loads more to come.

Sit back and enjoy that magnificent achievement!
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Great report Stevie! I know you were gunning for 2:45 but that's an excellent result and a cracking time for anyone. Don't push yourself to do relays if you don't feel it - have a nice recovery and ease back into it.

UPDATE - inspired by your success I have just registered for 2020. Hopefully get in this time.

DT - I've gone sub 19 before, when I didn't intend to go flat out and had some seriously tired legs, so not sure how that happend. Will get back to that with a little effort soon I'm sure.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Is the ballot open? I've decided if I don't get in this year, having failed the last 2, I am taking a charity place. Generally they only require £750 to be raised.
  • Options
    Yes ballot is open. I'm tempted but think I will look at Chicago possibly if I do an Autumn marathon.

Thanks guys I am really happy with the time. I came 931st so top 1000 in a major is a big achievement! Looking forward to racing round the streets of London next year. Hopefully get a clear run from Fast GFA!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Stevie: that's a big improvement on your pb. I favour a simple stop watch for key races so that I run to feel and don't have any gps issues. Any over measuring is more likely to be gps error rather than running too far. But my main point is definitely to celebrate a well paced pb!
  • Options
    Nicko forget the jacket just get soaked like the rest of us , get in there with that ballot !
    Stevie a cracking report and without that bit of faffing at the start it sounds like 2:45 would have been yours and only your 4th Marathon ,amazing stuff and you it will be interesting to see just how far you can get with a few more races under your belt. The trouble with us marathoners is we are always slightly disappointed but if you can channel that energy  pb's will keep coming ! I thought the Germans would have been running a slick well oiled machine but there ya go ..
    DT trust in the training and see where it takes you , to Berlin by the sound of it , sounds like Stevie should be on commission lol

Up after 1st nightshift for 6 x 800m with short 60 sec recoveries , tried to keep them all to 6:25pace to see what its like  as I have a 5k on sunday 

lap times 3:14, 3:14, 3:13, 3:16, 3:14,  3:14 so all about right , not sure I'm quite ready for a 20 min 5k maybe more like 20:30 but will see what happens on the day and take the rest of the week easy with no more sessions to rest the legs. 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Stevie - that's an excellent result, you ran it well despite the slow start and you can't be too disappointed at a 5 minute PB.  Enjoy the celebration.  Was Pen C allocation on the basis of an actual time or just predicted time?  Also, were you monitoring your 5K splits from the markers or just the Garmin?

I'll be entering Berlin 2020 after Abingdon! 

A tidy set of 800m reps Leslie - getting closer to 20 minutes for the 5K would be excellent progress.

A good tune-up session DT - with the pressure off you might surprise yourself.

Race for me at the weekend as well, Bournemouth 10K on Saturday, so back on the reps tonight with 5 sets of 1,000m with 500m recoveries - splits of 3:37, 3:37, 3:34, 3:34, 3:34 - so starting to get some speed in the legs.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Regular lurker here.
    Stevie-Great time,I was in the pen behind and seen the same,it was 3:00-3:15 and the 3:15 pacer was at the front,I ran 3:09 and didn't overtake him until mile 10 I think.
    DT-There is also their own charity,think its €195 and the have 1000 places 1st come 1st served,usually opens just after the ballot results.
    Back to lurking.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ian no need to lurk you'll be very welcome. Sounds like I'll be trying Berlin ballot again. 
    4.1 k swim today which is my longrst.
  • Options
    Hey Ian - my fellow Boston 2020 runnner!

Leslie - solid 800s there. I've got a trail race upcoming with mandatory kit where you get DQd if you don't have it, so needed a new jacket; it's going back though and I'll just vest it and pretend the jacket I have in my pack is actually waterproof - at least it's breathable.

SBD - nice reps, good luck in the 10k at the weekend.

Just under 10 tonight with 6 x 1K around the harbour as a club session. Aim was to do them all at 3:40 or 6min/mile pace. First couple came in a little fast but got the rest all dead on feeling fairly comfortable. Split tempo session Thursday I think to lock in the HM pace; might have a few beers tomorrow if the exchange on my house purchase finally gets sorted so it may be a struggle!
  • Options

Gul, another solid swim session.

Nicko, nice swimming:) there as well as the reps. Good to hear you felt strong on them. Fingers crossed on the house.

Stevie, holy performance. Very gutsy. That is a massive PB and stellar time. All good. Enjoy this one.

DT19, can you remind me of the race you are doing Sunday? BTW, for me, sometimes when I go in not expecting much I end up getting the opposite result (hopefully that will be on for you; see Nicko post!). That tune up seemed a good effort and result to me. My marathon is Oct 20th.

Hi Birch!:)

Leslie, looking good for Sunday!

OO, nice distance PB.

I did a subLT (taper version) today. 11 miles with 7 at subLT (times were 6:40, 6:35, 6:36, 6:43, 6:31, 6:30, and 6:16). Felt a bit tired (some of the LR still in legs I think) but got stronger as the run went on. Really liking the Nikes better with each run. Will do some easy running Wed/Thurs, then Friday off and 10K Saturday. A bit nervous for this. First race in 3 years and haven’t been training for this distance (so for me feels like I’m jumping into a complete unknown pace-wise).

• Options
    Thanks guys, the more I think about it the more I am really chuffed with the time. Couldn't have done anymore on the day!

SBD/Jools - I monitor my 3m/5k splits from the course markers in most races I do as I know the GPS is usually out. I made a slight mistake in although I knew my 5k splits I didn't really know the individual km splits to see if I as on pace. Much easier in miles! I believe the Pens were based on current PB & target time. I cant remember what target time I put but my PB would have been 2.55 when I entered.

Leslie - I was expecting ruthless efficiency as well but didn't see any! Really nice 800m reps there, you might surprise yourself on Saturday! 

Nicko - Nice k reps. Good luck with the house purchase, we are also purchasing our first house, everything seems to take so long!

VT - Glad to hear you are liking the Nikes, my coach has said I should think about getting a pair now. May treat myself for Christmas, they will be reserved for Marathons & maybe fast halfs only! Good luck on Saturday

OO - That's a huge swim! Need to get back in the pool, determined to get up to 1500m-2k continuous this winter

Im taking a couple of weeks off for recovery now, pretty much trained constantly since Manchester so feel I need a break. Go to Vegas in 2 weeks for a belated 30th birthday holiday. Will get back to it after then and see if I can get in shape for Telford 10k
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's better, Stevie:)

Big test last night. Managed to get 11 miles in. Supposed to be 10 but in the deluge I knew there would be huge puddles in certain roads and didn't fancy getting soaked by passing cars so adjusted the route. Still got wet, though but it was good fun.

Felt dead easy at 7.44 pace. Made sure I held back, this week is all about bagging some miles, pace will come naturally. Rest today again so that the magic can happen and then just a 5 or 6 with strides tomorrow. As ever when coming back from injury with a marathon just a few weeks away, longer runs are the most important. Should be in good shape to do 16 on the trails on Saturday wiyth a view to getting a 20 miler done in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- Good reps and good luck at Bournemouth.

VT- Nice sub lt. I am doing Burnham-on-sea half which is a very flat and small affair, about 250 runners. Looking at last year sub 1.25 should have you around 10th ish. But it's an 11am strart with parking, showers etc so it takes all the stress of a city race away.

G-dawg, that looks promising.

Ian- Thanks, that's interesting. So you essentially pay more for your place but don't then have an obligation to fund raise?

Stevie, You know you need to listen to Lewis!! The 5 fastest mara times ever have been run in them in last few years. I have a place in Telford booked.

Nice 800s Leslie.

Nicko, good session and good luck with the house completion.

Hopefully an easy 5 or 6 tonight then a sports massage afterwards.

• Options
    Stevie - great report and fantastic result especially given the start. Onwards and upwards - enjoy the rest and birthday celebrations!
    nicko - good work with those reps. Hope the house purchase completes okay.
    DT- hope the wind abates on Sunday.
    Leslie- another solid session - making good progress.
    SBD - speedy reps - looking good for the 10k.
    Ian - welcome and please de-lurk again!
    OO - that's a long swim.
    VTr - nice sub LT run. Hope the 10k goes well.
    13 easy miles this morning.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back with those long morning runs Gul.
    That swim has wiped me out the day after a 20 mile run, so taking it very easy here.
    Can't believe you haven't raced in 3 years VT- I only train so I can race 😉

Haven't heard from Speedy Goth for a while... 
  • Options
    VT - very strong paces, hopefully you'll get a good result at the 10K for a confidence boost.

G-Dawg 
    - nice to feel really easy at that pace, getting back to it well.

Stevie - 
    go for the shoes! A nice gift to yourself for such a great result. - They are available on sportsshoes.com and you can get 20% off with code SDA7

A few of us in the club got a bit excited when a new colourway on the Next% dropped and made the same purchase (what's another £190 when you're dropping a few hundred thousand in the same week? - house completion confirmed for next Wednesday!)

Might save these for spring though; don't want them to get muddy at Royal Parks  :#

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Ha, Nicko, only yesterday I was discussing the new colourway with a friend and  asking why!!!

Stevie, sell the hokas, use the 20% off and write the rest off as a reward for your race!!

Nice 13, Gul, good to see some normal routine has resumed.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Phwoooaaarr!! I like those. I can't justify that cost, you literally have a mortgage out for them!  :D
    Congrats on the house completion!

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit shoes were £69 direct from Nike. Mine arrive today.  B)
  • Options
    That's a good plan DT and I like the Pink ones! Make me easier to spot on course! Good to see you are getting back to it G-Dawg
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They would match my 'red' vest quite well!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    VT - all the best with the comeback. I didnt race from apr 15 to nov 17 due to the issues i had. Its been a tough 2 years back since then too, with lots of course pwrsonal worse performances.......rhose 10m paces are sharp, id struggle to hit those.  I managed a couple of 10m runs av 6.37 and 6.38 back in aug, when i was off work and could get on the flat. But they were hard runs, probably more like a TT. However my recent untapered 1.22 is my marker for Abingdon. What mara are you doing ?

Dawg - you usually run some fast paces in training too, probably too fast given your race times. But then if you slowed some of your training down and did some more easy miles then you'd be sub 3 already.....i note yr recent 7.44 though so well done. I can spend 90% of my week at 8nm or slower. Fwiw i would build to do regular mlr type distances over the next few weeks in yr shoes......slowly.

...take it with a pinch of salt though, im no coach.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Yes its called spendenmarathon and basically it goes to their own charity so just a one off payment,it went very fast last year though so you need to be on it straight away.