Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    VTrunner said:
    What is a parkrun BTW?? 
    You have one in Vermont now: https://www.parkrun.us/marshbillingsrockefeller/
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey can't top that PMJ....
  • Options
    OO54 said:
    Blimey can't top that PMJ....
    I guess it needs a few words of explanation. 

parkrun US started with Livonia Parkrun started on 2nd June 2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parkruns_in_the_United_States_of_America) and the second was not until April 2013: very low key start.

Livonia is a city built on the outskirts of Detroit, Michigan (Motown). I work for a company where over 50% of our clients are automotive manufacturers so we happen to have an office in Livonia to be close to Detroit and all the automobile companies out there. 

In July 2012 I happened to be in the office and arranged the visit to include Saturday so I could do the 7th parkrun and I was first finisher in a moderate time of 19:08 so that was the first sub-20 in all f US parkrun history and set the record until another UK runner broke it in late October 2012. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a great story- bet you can dine out on that PMJ 👍
  • Options
    29 minute winner last week at that Vermont one - I'm booking my ticket now! Might actually be at the front for once.
  • Options
    Leslie - in!
    nicko - nice pyramid session. Enjoy the new house - sounds like you're going to be busy.
    PMJ - sounds abysmal :) Impressive fact though.
    VTr - hope your daughter is okay. A new parkrun has just started near where I live (Hunstanton promenade parkrun). Disappointed to discover it starts by winding its way up the zig-zag cliff path.
    GD - oh, is that an actual bib number on the confirmation doc and not just a reference number?
    nicko - it would be cheaper to go to Hunstanton :)
    Swim this morning - 80 lengths. If you think I'm mad how about this. A woman at the pool (always there whenever I go for an early swim) gets up at 3:45 every morning, runs 20km and then drives to the gym for an hour's swim.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Gul - yep, it was this year. Good swimming skills. The thought of 80 lengths fills me with dread. Give me a lake any day.

Rest day yesterday and work stops me running today. Just as well as something popped in my knee yesterday and has caused some discomfort. Main focus is 20 miles on Saturday.
  • Options
    nicko1981 said:
    29 minute winner last week at that Vermont one - I'm booking my ticket now! Might actually be at the front for once.
    and coincidentally it is about 20 minutes from our office in Lebanon NH so I'm planning a visit as well.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Gul great news gives you something to train for now  Our club has been given a free place and there is a big scramble for it but some people have their name down and haven't ran a race for the club in years which I thought was a bit of a cheek ! Too far for me yet so not interested !
    Nicko Vermont 29 mins is the course up the side of a mountain or just a mountain of fries lol 
    New park run 20 miles from me the first to not actually be in a park as there is none near it may take a run down sometime as haven't been near one in about 18 months.
    Vtr kids are always falling over luckily at their age they bounce back quick unlike us who just lie there !
    5 easy yesterday and a club tempo tonight in the rain 30 or 40 mins are the choices ...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul there sure are some fanatical people out there.
    That knee sounds worrying GD do take care.
    I’ve piled in some early miles this week but no more until my 300 parkrun on Saturday where I’m gonna have a crack at sub 18 again, before eating cake...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OO - theres black flynits on nike website for 66 if you use oct20. They have blue for 55 but not in size 9. I got some red, but they only have black in yr size.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, that sounds bonkers. Does she go to bed at 8pm then?

G-Dawg, my number this year falls right in the middle of yellow zone numbers from last year. I would point out that whilst my initial reference number last year fell within the yellow zone number range from 2018, it didn't fall within yellow zone when 2019 were published, however for the first time ever my number when the final instructions came out in March was different to the initial number I was given in October.

There was a guy I was chatting to the in the pen who was in there on a 3.09 as a v50 and I was in with 3.04. I suspect standards will be tighter in 2020 given that the reduction in gfa qualifying time.

Easy 13 for me last night as I can't get out on the weekend. Legs were still pretty tired from sunday so it was at a rather sedate pace of 8.25mm.

Looking forward to the ineos challenge Saturday morning. Current window is 5am-9aM CET with more specific time given tomorrow.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to do a half later this year to run a more respectable time than my safety first Champs qualifier and the best weekend is 16/17 November.  Anyone done either Gosport or St Neots?  Pros/cons?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did St Neots in November 2006 Jools. According to my log it was a nice course with some gentle undulations. I ran 81:31 which was a V40 PB at the time, so can’t have been that bad. Not sure if the course has changed at all since👍
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip off TR.  I’ll keep 
    looking but currently no size 12s
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Not done either Jools - although I've rowed at St Neots!

Good mid-week miles DT.  Is it your reference number that sits in last year's yellow range?  I have 28019 which would sit in last year's green range - perhaps you get penalised for deferring!

Where's the 300th parkrun going to be OO - Whitley Bay?

It has to be 40 minutes then Leslie!

Go easy with the knee G-D.  Hope you can get the 20 done at the weekend.

80 lengths sounds mad to me Gul!  Hope you enjoyed the "You're In!" magazine - received mine today.  Having had the rejection version for at least 5 years it's still exciting to receive even though you know the result! 

Hope your daughter is OK VT.

TR - make sure those niggles clear up - if you're still in sight at 20 miles I'll be looking for a tow to the finish line! 

Final P&D interval session at lunchtime - the dreaded 3 sets of 1,600m.  Always seems a big mental challenge to go from 1,200 to 1,600 so the session is great for reinforcing the mental toughness you'll need on race day.  Splits came out as 5:53, 5:53 and 5:49 - a good workout for concentrating on leg turnover and cadence.   With the w/u and w/d, a total of 8 miles for the day.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes SBD my local at Whitley Bay. My wife is busy baking a cake 😁. That’s a tough sesh, well done!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Gul is that the old Gul o clock you are famous for lol , 3:45 am is crazy does she have a job or just go back to bed after lol  I used to get up at 4:50 and put in a max of 11m before a 12 hr shift with 7am start but that was tough !
    Dt nice 13 yes the sub 2 will be a big deal indeed if it happens .
    0054 I feel you will earn that cake give it the message ! 300 is just amazing ,thinking I might get to 50 sometime the next decade !
    SBD cracking paces for your reps your in fine shape . You were right 40 mins it is as I felt I was about ready for it, for the tempo coach said anyone running the Dublin mara should do 20 mins hard , 30 secs rest and 20 min back at mara pace and no Racing !!!!
     As I'm not doing the mara it was 40 mins at near max attack (average pace 6:48) for 40 mins with 5.9 miles covered, dry on way out but very wet on way back not that I hardly noticed till I  stopped with 9 1/2 miles in total. My last 10k was 7m/mile average just 1 month ago so making decent gains again although an easier route  ...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - shame, they still had black size 12s this morning.

SBD - ive had a week at 8mm plus since last thursdays tempo and my leg was a lot better today on the 3x1m. The stomach, groin discomfort is a long term management thing, but i thinl it'll be ok. I was more 6.10 to 6.15, but had no intention of going any quicker, i set myseld the target of around hmp so i was about right. Im aiming no quicker than 6 35 at abo, to minimise my hammy cramp chances and to maximise my sub 255 chances. I was hoping youd be towing me..........
  • Options
    Nike online now has nothing above a size 8 or might have gave them a try ,I wear 9's and am due a new pair soon and have always wore Nike Pegasus up to now 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I got some red in size 9? What about black ? They still show size 9?
  • Options
    I did St Neots Half in November 2015. For being out in the Cambridgeshire area it is surprisingly hilly and also had a few open and exposed roads and I definitely felt the wind. I was about 5 minutes down on Wokingham in the same year. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    TR you were quite right I was looking at the wrong colour. New pair ordered- many thanks👍
  • Options
    There is size 9 in the blue showing this morning but when you try to buy them it says sorry out of stock but I have a black pair on the way ,cheers TR 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Happy days then. The same thing happened to me when i tried to buy the blue ones, but im sure the red ones will be faster anyway.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR, what's the stomach/groin issue you manage? I have been having an issue in my very low abs/pubis bone area where it gets sore (almost like doms) and I get sore also in my adductors. It's worst after a long easy run then eases off through the week. I've had it since March and it doesn't get worse, it just doesn't go.

Nice tempo, Leslie.

Nice reps, SBD. Yes I mean the ref number. I always sit down to read the you're in mag and quickly realise there is very little in there beyond adverts and the things in there worth reading are generally repeated from previous editions.

easy day yesterday with 5m treadmill followed by bodypump. 5m tempo over lunchtime . Looks like another windy one.

• Options
    Excellent 10k SBD, your PB is only 4s off my road PB now! Impressively followed up with the long run as well

Leslie - Your progression has been brilliant to see, really shows that running gives back what you put in. When's the next race?

Gul - That's an impressive swim! My magazine has arrived as well, there will be loads of us next year! Hope the cold disappears quickly, I've been suffering since Berlin.

DT - Unlucky with the conditions at the half, as others have said still a decent time though. See you at Telford!

Nicko - Congrats on the house. Im going to have to lear a lot of new DIY skills when get our house! Good luck on Sunday

Road relays went as well as expected considering I hadn't ran since the marathon! 21.59 for the 5.88k loop so 6.00avg. Not bad on heavy legs! Fly to Vegas on Wednesday so will get back to training after that
  • Options
    GD - hope your knee is okay. My number (assuming both it and the range of numbers at each start don't change) would put me at the green start.
    Leslie - nice tempo run.
    OO - Enjoy your 300th parkrun and the cake, of course :)
    DT - can Kipchoge do it? I hope they go for an early start as I'm setting off to take Miss GD the elder to Peterborough around 8am tomorrow morning.
    Jools - sorry, only ever raced 2 different HMs and neither of those 2 in November. Hope you make the right choice :)
    SBD - excellent work in your final interval session. I enjoyed receiving the 'In' magazine. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I seem to remember it's mostly adverts.
    Stevie - good work at the road relays. My swimming is the equivalent to a runner's plod - took me 40 minutes. Yes, should be a good get together after VLM next year. Enjoy Vegas.
    16 easy miles this morning. Longest run since middle of June :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - sounds familiar. I had discomfort for a long time but it got real bad esp groin at times, so i stopped from summer 2016 until Christmas, took ages to build up again, finally raced again nov 2017. I used to fear sneezing, lifting things etc funny thing is im not sure stopping is the correct action as it seems to like a lityle bit of s and c, a lityle bit of quicker running, more double digits runs etc but i guess thats me making myself more robust. Think all the leg streching i did last werk, must have stirred it up. It will be sore after Abo for a while, should be managable on the day. Feels good if you run along sucking your stonach in.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've already got red (orange ) and blue ones TR- should all cover me through the next few Maras. 
    No running today but managed a 2 mile swim.