Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DT, impressive tempo in the slush and sh&t. Cold, dark, cars, and a 2M stretch on replay. Well played, sir. And good luck at the track!

Leslie, nice 1000 reps. The force will be with you again soon! Hay in the barn.

SBD, agree on the stride sessions. Surprisingly easy to miss. But on days where I don't go very far (6-7 miles) I like to throw them in because it makes that run seem more than it otherwise would be. Good luck with increasing the cadence. I made this a big focus of my running several years ago. I went from under hitting 82 steps per foot (so 164) in my marathons in 2014 to 92 per leg this past marathon. I've managed to up it by about 2 steps per leg every 2 years or so. But I think it's one of the reasons I'm running so healthy lately (including the the fact that I have almost zero low back pain which used to plague me plus my legs/joints in general (and my feet!) feel less beat up). I had my PT help me (she'd video my stride on treadmill/roads, then get me to work on one very simple adjustment at a time and then more video to see what next to do...been at this for a while now). Maybe that also contributed to my PR times this year? BTW, I think the next target race might be a half marathon in April. 

Nice mileage PMJ!

Gul, you seem to have some decent snap in the legs early into your return to volume and quality.

So yesterday did 10M easy in another snow shower. Today turned out well, but was thinking it might be dicey. It was 5 degrees F but with 15 mph wind the realfeel was -13 (so -15 C or with wind -25 Leslie!). But satisfaction was mine as I nailed the gear selection and was actually a little warm. But sun was out, which makes all the difference in the winter (IMO).
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing cadence, SBD given how fast you are. Higher cadence for you would be very interesting indeed. Mine is around 176 to 182 depending on session.

Incredible miles for you too. yesterday I only tipped over the 1400 mark for the year. I'll finish around 250 miles short of last year (my biggest) due to the injury woes I've had this year.
    It's clear that if I want a sub-3 I'll have to find extra miles.

Had 2 runs this week, a cracking 7 miler with hill reps on Monday, really enjoyed that and a rare lunchtime foray down the river Wey yesterday from work. Total mudfest and my colleague and I got drenched but it was a fun 6 miles.
  • Options
    DT - could be a speedy 10k. Hope the track session went okay.
    SBD - I remember reading somewhere that Pete Pfitzinger said he should have included strides in more sessions; maybe the new edition has been amended accordingly. Cracking mileage for the year.
    VTr - brrrr! Well done turning out.
    GD - couple of nice sessions.
    6 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

VT- Well done getting out the door in those conditions, though I guess you may be more adapted to those conditions than we might.

Gul, snap, easy 6m recovery before work for me, in the rain again!

SBD- I just looked back through some recent stats re cadence. I have never worked on it but it has progressed over the years some how. Obviously the less time your feet spend on the floor the less impact and injury potential.

From some recent runs;

6m recovery today at 8.28mm- 176 ave

6m tempo at 6.42- 192 ave

Parkrun last weekend at 5.56- 197 ave

Telford 10k at 6.08mm- 196 ave

London mara at 6.45- 198 ave.

So, last night, the track wasn't available until 7.30 and I was home by 5 and it was hammering down so took m y session to the treadmill. Working between level 15 and 16 with 3 x 13 off 2 mins. My gps had me running at 7.45mm, so worked by HR. It wasn't as good as doing it on the racecourse but it served a need.

6m recovery before work. Off on my annual big night out tonight which is usually my annual kebab night. Last year I left the club too late and the shops were all closed so I am keen to get one tonight.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Saw this today and thought it appropriate to post after our snow and ice discussions. Slightly embarrassing...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1201340673456300032

Also, it's worth scrolling down to see the comments:)

• Options
    VTR saw that and indeed you could easily see that ice patch from where they were talking but I guess she was distracted by the camera and it looked like it hurt a bit too !
    Chuck Norris was sore on here lol !

5 easy today 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Quiet in here must be Christmas lol 

10 mile this morn with tempo for miles 6,7 and 8 , struggling for the first half and my dodgy knee is back to its same old ways after any period of rest where it hurts all the time, usually settles down again after a week or 2  but the tempo went ok (only place it didn't hurt ! or I didn't notice as was working too hard ) and those miles were 6:58, 6:56, 6:47 and 8:20 average for the 10. Mcmillan says a 20 min 5k translates to a lt of 6:50 so about the right level,not that I could have went any harder anyway ! These longer runs with increasing amounts of tempo will be a key session I think from now on for me . 3 halfs booked for March, may and september . Local mara is just open again but not sure I could face it .

38 mile for the week .

DT last time I checked my cadence some time ago it was around the 200-220 range but my knee has always been weak so I need to land easy so striding out is not easy .The oft quoted 180 is based on elite runners so may be more of an aspiration for us that anything else and for the most part longer stride equals faster and cadence stays much the same .

Poacher how are you getting on these days haven't heard for you in a while ?

Birch are we still good for 65k by year end Pal ?

Badbark how is the comeback going ?

MSE are you back at it again ?

Lorenzo haven't heard from you in a while ?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - thanks - yes, 14.5 yesterday , 4 easy ones today leaves 42 for next week (I'd like to have it done by the 29th)  . . .   hope your training goes well for the March half, then onwards and upwards . . .    
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Looking good on the 65K Birch.

Good work on the tempo miles Leslie - sounds like a good session to focus on. 

Sensible decision on the treadmill session DT.  Interesting cadence stats - surprisingly high for the races.  If you had to replace your Garmin would you put the running dynamics functionality on the essentials list?

Good recovery miles Gul - what pace do you run these at?  I heard the Marathon Talk interview with PF where he talked about incorporating more strides in to the training schedule.  I've not seen the new edition but assume there are a few more stride sessions.

A good couple of sessions G-D.  What are you using to measure your cadence? Hope the calf is OK.

That's a good 10 miler in those conditions VT - I guess the trick is not to stop!  Interesting to hear how you managed to increased your cadence.  What adjustments were you making?

Ran 10 miles progressively on the treadmill on Friday, starting at 8:20 pace, decreasing to 6:26.  Thought I'd check the cadence, although counting the number of foot placements in 30 seconds is mentally hard work!  For the initial slower miles, the cadence was c. 164 but this increased to c. 174 for the faster miles.  So not quite as bad as I thought, but clearly room for improvement!

16 miles this afternoon but it turned in to a bit of mud and stream fest so the pace went downhill quickly and it became a time on feet exercise.  Also ran out of daylight and had to cover the last 4 kilometers is very dusk-like conditions.   At least that gives me another 65 mile week before the start of the London 2020 campaign.

• Options

Pre post warning – I’ve been drinking…

Happy winter solstice everyone!

SBD –Nice challenging mileage 

Birch – Good luck in the quest

Les – That’s some cadence you have! I hope the knee holds out. Thanks for asking about me.

Vtrun – Great link – an honest lol

DT – You must be young with those hr’s. A crackin pace recently.

Gul – Nice P&D mlr type run

GD – Good mileage all things considered. Although, I agree a few more miles would be needed for a comfortable sub 3 

PMJ – Well done on the 2k+. Good luck with the highest lowest month malarkey!

OO – Awesome sub 3 and a cracker thready photo. Congrats on the PB 

LT – Excellent running and a good read 

Ian – Good luck in Seville

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments to my latest post. 

I hadn’t trained for it but on Wednesday I decided to book another marathon. My manager let me take a ‘Volunteer’ day off on Friday to raise money for charity. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-walker100marathons

In the last six weeks my two longest runs were 13 and 11 miles so I wasn’t sure how I’d manage. I didn’t look at my Garmin and just ran to feel. I’m happy to say that it went well and I manage to finish in about 3:21. On looking back I maintained pace throughout and averaged 7:42 m/m.

It was a low key marathon arranged by EAMS, and no one fast turned up. This allowed me to pick up the win and a trophy. That’s 88 marathons or ultras complete on my quest for 100. I intend to break the 100 barrier in 2020. 

Happy xmas everyone! Live long and prosper - peace and long life!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back Badbark and enjoying your running. Congrats on the win 👍
    Great work SBD 👍
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DT - never really thought about this, but can your pace on a treadmill vary from the pace you set it to run? (Thinking in general here, not anything specific to your session!) Good work :)
    Leslie - good 10 miler with tempo section. Your racing diary is filling up nicely.
    Birch - Enjoy those 42 miles :) That will be a monster achievement.
    SBD - couple of good runs to finish your last week before the London campaign officially begins. My recovery runs are around 8:30-9:00/m.
    Badbark - well done on the win and number 88 in the bag. Good to hear from you and know that you are still going strong.
    Slightly less busy weekend, so managed to get out for 8 steady miles on Saturday, but my right calf didn't feel great on Sunday, so cut my run short to just 2 miles to make 64 for the week.
    First run of the London campaign today and I bumped 9 with 4 @ LT up the schedule. I was glad I had done at least the odd faster session over the last month, but still struggled to maintain the pace for the tempo section and ended up with a regressive 6:26, 6:29, 6:40, 6:46.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    London campaign Gul! That sounds good. You'll be a great addition to the post race meet up.
    I did 37 last week including a 19:30 parkrun and 14 miles on Sunday. Think we can say the recovery is over. I'm gonna land around 2450 this year about 100 down on last year.
  • Options
    OO - yes, it will be great to meet some more of the thread. A very decent tally for the year. I've just hit 2300 today, so going to be over 600 down on last year's 3000 (Jan to Nov miles 260, 296, 289, 169, 275, 223, 18, 108, 129, 182, 195).
    Up early today, so did this week's long run (first since 18th June!). 17 miles - 1M w/u,  8 @ 7:56 and 8 @ 7:33.
    Best wishes to everyone. Have a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful 2020.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Badbark, good to hear from you and congrats on the win and mara 88. Best of luck going into next year. I'm not young sadly, 44 in 2 weeks.

Leslie, I'm quite short at 5'8 so i think high cadence and shorter stride works to my strengths as I'm never going to have a gloriously long stride. 

Gul, i dont an individual can vary their own pace on a treadmill without changing belt speed. Of course the treadmill may not be quite correctly calibrated. 

Couple of good runs there. looking forward to the vmlm post race drinks!!

SBD, i dont think you have to buy a partularly high tech garmin these days to get those stats. It's a nice to have but wouldn't be a major part of the decision making process. i find training effect and recovery predicator better tools. 

we've not heard from speedy in a long while as well?

Saturday was spent being horrifically hungover. Sunday i got out for a pre panto 8m progressive, from 8.20 to 6.30 final mile. Yesterday i did a nice easy 14 then this morning spin followed by 5k treadmill cool down. 

Day with the family tomorrow then a short run boxing day before i recommence festivities. 

Have a great Christmas all. 
  • Options
    A very merry Christmas to you all, and may your running go even better in 2020.

Not been here for a while but Santa has brought an early present:

Trussed up like a turkey after a trip to hospital yesterday, but it would be good to think that running is not entirely over. At this rate Badbark will top the 100 mara mark before me, having started years later.

Have a good one and take care.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Birch great you are on target well done fella and we all want some onwards and upwards yourself included , hope you get a return to form next year !
    Badbark good to hear from you and glad the comeback is on and with your previous mara endurance long runs are probably overrated . Nice little christmas bonus with the win you must have been well chuffed.
    As for my knee well its always been an issue but until my recent sickness it was holding up well and I hope like before it will settle gain, any improvements in it seem to vanish after even 2 weeks off !!!!!!! Like yourself and many others on here now we just gotta work with what we have and hope for a bit of luck .
    GUL the first LT session is always a tough one but a faster finish 17 the next day on tired legs is quite impressive ! 2300 is great mileage.
    0054 nice total from you too.
    DT yes we gotta work with what we have , in the short leg club too so we need high cadence and low weight to keep up with the big boys lol !
    Poacher I was gonna ask where you got that bandage as it looks like something I might need lol , I hope the surgery means a possible comeback is now on .

5x 1000k after getting up after nights (1 only this week) first 2 were 7's then the last 3 were 6:34. 6;38 and 6:34 so a good bit better .
    1333 miles so far this year so well up on last year's (768) Merry Christmas all.

• Options
    Popping in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.  Sorry I have yet again been AWOL, but good to see most of you are doing ok, although that picture is pretty scary!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes best festive wishes to all.
    Poacher was the hospital trip for actual surgery?
    Here's hoping you will get back to it soon and have better luck in 2020👍.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Hope you're finding time for some running Jools.

A good turn of speed on the last three reps Leslie.

Hope that's positive news Poacher and you're back running soon.

A good couple of sessions DT. I still have a 310XT but may need to update sometime soon.

That's a good long run Gul, especially considering the break.

Treadmill tempo run late afternoon, 10K as the middle section of 10 miles.  Struggled with the pace after 6K, but kept it going to complete the 10K in 39:12, so not too bad.  Hoping to be allowed to run tomorrow and Boxing Day!

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    No surgery at this stage, it’s a contraption aimed at relieving the arthritis problem. Bah. Looks like marathons are over but I would settle for walking in a straight line. Anyway, Parkrun marshalling tomorrow so will give a big shout to those who are mobile. Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Happy xmas to everyone and your families.
    Not much running since last week as I work in food retail so a bit hectic as you can imagine,nothing from Thursday until yesterday then 2x9 mile runs,hopefully have a couple of better weeks now.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lots of respect for those working at Xmas Ian.
    Poacher, I'm looking at a parkrun double on New Years Day. Newbiggin at 9am, then Blyth st 10:30. Just in case you are in the vacinity of Newbiggin, please shout 😉
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Had a bit too much to eat yesterday so went out for 20.5 miles today,meant to be 20 but a detour added on a bit more.Felt fine for all of it,except teh last 2 miles are up a steady incline so that felt a bit harder,all completed and another long one ticked off though.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Better than me Ian, my six miler was a real effort. I'm in the Lakes now so will try again tomorrow. Feel as bloated as a pig 🐷
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ian glad you got those hectic days over you and managed to put a dent in the calorie surplus with a 20 miler. 
    Got out myself this morn after I left the family over to the shops  for 5x 800m was to be 6 reps but my hammy warned id done enough and very tight all day, garmin had an update I foolishly clicked before going out , of course it didn't work and they it wouldn't upload my last run . Got it sorted at last by a force send of data ( had tried this a few times already ) after deleting older activities first as it just seemed to scroll forever ! then deleted all old activities .  still struggle to get it sorted and its happened a good few times over the years !!!!!!!!
    Paces were 6:55, 6:36, 6:55, 6:36, 6:58 as it was a bit windy one way , face was froze for the first mile with windchill and regretted not wearing a hat !
  • Options
    Hope you all had a good Christmas.
    Poacher - didn't realise the issue with your knee included arthritis. Here's hoping 2020 will be a much better year for you.
    Leslie - well done on 2 interval sessions and a good tally for the year.
    SBD - nice tempo run on the treadmill.
    Ian - good long run in the bag.
    OO - hope you're feeling less bloated today :)
    A couple of days off for me, then 11 miles this morning. 6 @ 8:01/m and 5 @ 7:19/m. 
  • Options
    10 on Xmas Day, a rest day yesterday and then 10 today. All steady as my most recent absence from these parts was due to yet another niggle: self diagnosis was a small low grade tear in the foot.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You'll look back on a tough year Jools but good to see you can easily knock out 10 milers.
    Hope you enjoyed the rest Gul.
    Cracking pace Leslie, sounds impressive to me.
    Bit of a bug here so will go easy at Keswick parkrun in the morning. Hopefully will get to 40 with some Sunday miles.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Another solid treadmill tempo, SBD.

Jools, hope 2020 pans out more favourably for you.

Ian, nice work on the long run. 

Poacher, sorry to hear things arent how you would like them. 

Nice 11, Gul. 

Good work on the reps, Leslie. 

Ive made rather merry this last week and managed a little something each day except xmas day. I dragged myself up to run a new parkrun this morning, though i really didnt fancy it. Reasonable outcome once i got moving with 5.56, 5.55, 6.01 then 5.42mm for finish giving me a 2nd parkrun at 18.37 in 2 weeks, which remains my sb. That got me 4th today.