Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    VT-That's a good start to the year,long may it continue.
    Leslie/DT- Both got good speed for those tempo efforts.
    OO-Hope you get going again soon.
    SDB-That's a cracking progression run,very good place to build from.
    63 miles this week ending with a 20.5miler today,felt strong despite the wind playing havoc with my pacing at times,got to 15 and instead of going my usual route decided to do my hilly loop 3 times,it has 150ft of elevation across 1.2miles so the 3rd climb was a real effort,got it done though and good practise for the last hills at Boston.
  • Options
    Week 1 of 16 {?) finished, a moderately easy one to get back into it.

Monday - 6.5 progressive from 8:00/mile down to 6:00/mile
    Wednesday - 13.1 inc. slow parkrun; 8:05 avg
    Thursday - 7 inc track session of 1800, 2x700, 4x300
    Saturday -  5 inc. tempo parkrun
    Sunday - slow 11 @ 8:30 average, hills, very low effort.

So approx 42 for the week.

Ian5 - looks like you are way ahead of me with your distance for Boston; good work on the hills there.
    SBD - I'll be adjusting slightly, putting in more hill reps and Kenyan hills and making sure my long runs are on hilly loops (not difficult in Bristol). Any advice from the master would be welcomed

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's a good week back nicko.  McMillan had some good Boston advice - it's worth studying the course profile in detail now rather than closer to the race.  It's also useful to do your long runs on a similar course profile to Boston, including some down hill miles at the end.  You also need to condition the quads to running fast downhill.

An excellent long run Ian and good mileage for the week.  So you're running Boston as well?  I ran it in 2019, just squeezing under 3 hours.

A good long run Jools.

Sorry, I meant Brass Monkey OO - are you running there this year?  I hadn't thought about the BMAF membership - what does this get you?

I'm quite happy to be avoiding hills on my long runs at the moment.  Ran the same course as last week but was really struggling for motivation and had mentally decided a "just run the miles and don't worry about the pace" approach would be fine.  It never felt easy but ended up running the 18 miles a fraction quicker than last week, so 7:37 pace with the last 5 miles at 7:16.  Gives me 73 miles for week 2 of the 18 to London.
  • Options
    Gerard /Nicko welcome back lads 
    DT now in the sub 40 10k  tempo club with SBD , a great place to be at !
    Ian those hills are good prep for Boston ,nice tough 20 and the wind will be good training too !
    Nicko good start for week 1 
    SBD fine pickup for the last few for a cnba run !

Fridays tempo was sore on my legs ...ouch...proper LT pace really hurts ... was going to just throw in a few strides tonight after work , had a very easy 5 last night (9:30's) but instead  recovered just enough to do 6x400m with 60 secs walk between , Id usually do 10 reps but I haven't done 400's for a few weeks so best rein it in a tad .....39 mile for an ok week and still on target for 2020 in 2020 lol .....

rep times : 1:34, 1:33, 1:32, 1:33, 1:31, 1:30  wind was getting quite strong when out.

• Options
    Jools- nice weekly tally. Hope the foot is okay.
    Leslie - good MLR with 5 mile effort. Nice reps too.
    GM - good to hear from you. Yes I finally got a GFA for London so will be returning for some unfinished business 10 years after my first disastrous outing 😊 Hope you have a good 2020 all round.
    Nicko - happy new year. Hope you can get down to some serious training.
    DT - that's a cracking tempo run. Yes the Linnets are doing much better than could have been expected. No doubt the manager, ex-Canaries player Ian Culverhouse has played a big part in that attracting some quality non-league players.
    OO - get well soon.
    SBD - tidy MLR and nice long run too.
    Ian - great long run to finish a good week.
    Started week 3 with 10 miles inc. 5 @LT which came out at 6:39/m. A bit slow but it's early days.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    There are some very determined and gritty competitors at BMAF races - good placings cannot be taken for granted. I accidentally entered the BMAF multi terrain champs a while back an took a real kicking from some fellas in their 60s.

Gul - wasn't your last London outing wrecked by injury? You are on course to obliterate that this time.

Boston - a very tricksy course, well worth studying. And training on long descents.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-Yes I am in Boston this year,will be my 3rd major in 8 months so looking forward to it.
    Lesley-They are great splits,well done.
    8 recovery miles after work,felt tough after yesterday so didn't look at watch and just ran to feel.
  • Options
    Happy New Year folks!

Haven't posted for a while as my running has been ticking over at best, but with London on the horizon I guess it's time to get a bit of structure in my plan.

The last few months has been a bit frustrating from a running perspective as I haven't recovered what little speed I had before my tumble in the summer so a short term target is to get back under 20 mins for a parkrun. I recently completed my 100th parkrun which just happened to coincide with the local one on Christmas Day, and I managed to sneak in a New Year's Day double as well. All good fun. 

I'm not sure whether running XC is helping things, but the Hampton Court Half in about 5 or 6 weeks should give a good pointer as to where I am at the moment but 3:15 at London looks to be at the top range of expectations. 

Glad to see so much great running is still going on here - have been trying to keep tabs on what everyone is up to and OO's casual sub 3 just before Xmas was a stand out. 

Hope you're not in too much discomfort with that contraption Poacher. If you're short of a few readies you can always get a supporting role in the next Marvel film! 

In other news, I've finally decided to do a bit more studying so in October I started a postgraduate course in Geographic Information Science at Birkbeck College (part of London University). It's genuinely very interesting but trying to balance full time work, part time study and squeeze the some running in is a tad complicated. 

Commuting run today. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry SBD cross wires. Yes I'll be in york for the BM. Will also do the parkrun on the racecourse Saturday. Are you running it too?
    You actually join your local Masters association and the BMAF is overarching British Masters group. As Poacher says, competition in the BM events is high standard but less so in the regions. I was middle distance champ for the North East for the track season last year for v55. It's very much a case of racing who turns up and the title is rather flattering given the limited competition I had on many of the races. Although races are ceded on predicted time so you always get a good race but mainly with younger athletes.
    Welcome back Lorenzo it's good to hear from you and congrats on the academic pursuits. Something I would consider if my brain hadn't morphed into a pumpkin since I retired 😉
    The flu is finally lifting after nearly 2 weeks. Not sure how I'll fare in the York half but hopefully better than my 1:27 last year.

• Options
    Poacher- yes, that's the one. It was almost worth just to see Carmen Miranda though 😉
    Lorenzo - great to hear from you. Sounds like you're going to be busy.
    OO - when is the York half?
    No long run on the P&D schedule this week, but I just had enough time this morning to extend today's run to 18miles. 2 w/u then 8 @ 7:52 & 8 @ 7:30.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good to see GM and Lorenzo back on here after long breaks. Some good early campaign times going on from everyone else. Cracking 10 miler from Gul.

Hope you're feeling better after the flu, OO. Have been full of head cold myself for the past week or so.

Enjoying the Boston chat. Specific hill training both up and down is highly recommended.

First run of the year last night, just an easy 5 miler to get things going for the VLM20 campaign. I feel proper fat and way off my best. Have used the post-festive reset to establish new habits especially on the diet front. Have delayed my date with the bathroom scales until tomorrow as the 'Wednesday weigh-in' will be a weekly feature where I log the result in my spreadsheet and Garmin app. Not looking forward to week one!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg-On a positive the only way will be down over the next few months with the weight.
    12 miles today,felt sluggish for the first mile or so,didn't help that most of it was uphill but settled in to a nice pace after that.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's this weekend Gul- Brass Monkey half.
    Definitely getting better GDawg. Had my 1st swim of 2020 after a 5 week break due to pool refurb, Xmas and man flu. I planned 3k but gave up at 2k, totally spent. Great workout though.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo can you explain what Geographic Info Science is, for the uninitiated? A great idea to go back to a bit of study of something you find interesting (currently re-learning Russian which is sometimes useful for work)

Gun if you want to borrow the outfit I think it's in the attic...
  • Options
    SBD - thanks will take a look at McMillan and make sure to do a lot more Parkruns at Ashton Court where it's uphill first half, downhill second; that will give the quads a proper whacking every week. My long runs will mostly be very undulating and going to get some good weight training in to strengthen up. I think my CV is in fairly good shape so just the legs that need some real work.

Lorenzo - might be joining you at Hampton Court half, it's not a bad race. Good luck with the re-education; I won't pretend to understand what that is though!

Talking of diets; I need to get on one, although my weight is not bad (78kg so only a little bit up on ideal mara weight of sub 75), the fat/muscle balance is way off. Old kitchen is getting ripped out next week and will be a while before I have a new one so need to avoid the risk of getting into convenience food so have signed up via the gym for Mindful Chef (they had a big discount offer) - should require very minimal cooking space/appliances and the nutrition balance looks very good if slightly low on the calories for a distance runner. Certainly more attractive than the Huel diet, will report back on the results if anyone is interested.

6.5 steady progressive last night; felt stiff so a bit easier than usual but 8/mile down to 6:20ish and a final sprint.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher, think we don't all know why you are really learning Rusdia....?
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Rusdia? Someone's been polishing off the dregs of the Christmas sherry.  ;)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I read it as Rushida ;)
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    GUL so lucky you only had to do an 18 miler this week, enjoy the rest ! being away from mara's quite a while these numbers just don't compute yet !
    Gdawg can't beat a new campaign to get the ballast off 
    Lorenzo Very difficult to manage so much , I have done it before study plus 48 hr work weeks and well never again !!!!!!!! 
    Nicko snap I'm 78 kg too  but was about 85 6 months ago ,I was rather round .... its makes a huge difference to running but id say smashing up the kitchen is perhaps a bit drastic , just throw the scales out ! Id like to get sub 75kg but looking to get closer to 72kg as a race weight .Will consider huel as a last resort if needed.
    Is Poachers other alias 007 ? and is that thing on his leg some elaborate tracking/doping  device ?

Club session tonight 
    12 min/ 11mins/10 min hard with 90 secs easy jog between each . Despite most of the fasties being back I took off in the lead and just got further and further ahead , the lap had a long climb / long down hill and bit of flat , the uphills were about 7 min pace and the down hills around 6:30 . I guess they had a few too many mince pies this last week or so but those tempos I have been doing seem to be working !

5.27 mile in 36 mins (6:50 av including the easy bits ) with another 2.5m warmup and strides.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good tempo session Leslie and good progress on the weight.  I may well be 78kg but I'm avoiding the scales at the moment!  Plenty of room in the sub 40 10K tempo club when you're ready.

I may have missed the Russian joke ...

Good progressive run nicko - sounds like you're in control with the Boston training.  I didn't do too much fast downhill running until 4 weeks before the taper.  McMillan had weekly webinars in the run up to Boston which included one about the course profile and how to structure the run.

Good to hear you're on the recovery OO - the rest may just help for BM.  No entry for me although I keep thinking it would be nice to do one year.  Thanks for the info on BMAF - I quite fancy running a few track 10ks in the summer so perhaps I'll take a closer look.  

Sounds like you've been struggling Lorenzo - hopefully you've turned the corner and can put together a decent London campaign.  Good luck with the MSc - I had a lot of involvement with GIS in a former life!

Good recovery miles Ian.

A good start to VLM20 G-D.

A good 18 miles there G-D.   I was planning to run 20 miles this week!

Tempo Tuesday today - so 10K LT with 3K w/u and w/d to give 10 miles for the day.  I was hoping these threshold runs would start to get faster but the pace is pretty much staying the same at the moment.  So 39:15 for the 10K with the last 1K in 3:50.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hope the weather is better this year than last, oo. Hopefully the rest will do you good for the race. 

Gul, good start to the week, but be careful adding to the p and d schedule. You'll be grateful for these easier weeks when you're in full flow. That is a big name to have in charge at the club! 

Nice tempo 10k again, SBD. Im sure theyll start edging quicker as the weeks pass. 

Nice work on last weeks mileage and the 20, Ian. 

GDawg, good to see you back at it. 

Lorenzo, good to hear from you. That does sound a lot to balance. 

Another good tempo, Leslie. For me a weekly tempo somewhere between hmp and mp is an absolute must do run.

Nicko, as i read your post earlier, i was tucking into a huel shake. 

Since Fridays tempo i did spin and pump Saturday and an easy 14 sunday to round off a 48m week.

This week started with the usual 4m monday recovery then evening spin. Today was a tough session of 8 x 1k off 90s at 10k-5k effort. There was a pretty nasty south westerly around the race course which meant one rep was wind assisted and one into a headwind. Pace wise it upset the balance of things a bit but i just targetted working in the 170s hr. Average session pace was 6.08mm which is the pace i ran my last 10k so still a decent session. 

I've just received my 25% nike plus birthday code. I anticipated this in december and purchased £175 nike gift vouchers when asda were doing 20% off so got for £140. Therefore ive just ordered a pair of next %, which worked out well as nike released a new colour over the weekend which is quite nice comparatively. So with 25% off they were £179,  then with gift cards i had to add £4. Basically £240 shoes for £144. They will sit in a box until vmlm then go back in until Berlin. 
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    I've just received my 25% nike plus birthday code. I anticipated this in december and purchased £175 nike gift vouchers when asda were doing 20% off so got for £140. Therefore ive just ordered a pair of next %, which worked out well as nike released a new colour over the weekend which is quite nice comparatively. So with 25% off they were £179,  then with gift cards i had to add £4. Basically £240 shoes for £144. They will sit in a box until vmlm then go back in until Berlin. 
    That is very well planned and executed.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'm only scan reading the Nike shoe posts. If I got into the detail I'd want another pair. Can't justify it at the moment. Somewhat envious, DT.

Wednesday weigh-in went well. 12st 12lbs (81kg). Two pounds lighter than the same point last year. I want to get to 12 and an half stone for race day, so with the diet changes and the increase in running volume compared to the last 8 weeks, I should be OK.

8 easy miles last night just to keep getting back into it. Touch wood, the annoying calf is no more.
  • Options
    GD - a weekly weigh-in!  :)
    Ian - good 12 miler on tired legs.
    OO - good luck this weekend then. First swim of the year for me to today.
    Poacher - thanks for the offer but I think I'll give it a miss.
    Nicko - nice progressive.
    Leslie - sounds like a tough session so well done.
    SBD - that seems like a fair pace to me.
    DT - cracking reps. I will try not to mess with the schedule too much 😊
    6 mile recovery run and 30 min swim this morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

pmj- there was some presumption/risk involved in that the birthday code may have never materialised or they didn't have stock, thankfully it all went to plan. Shoes arrive tomorrow.

G-daWG, I also weighed this morning at 11,4 dead on. That's 3lb lighter than this day last year and 3lb off my final weight before vmlm 19, so actually not too much work to do here. Interestingly (ish) my scales bodyfat reading is 1% less than last year and the same as vmlm.

Good news re the calf.

Gul, i'll be watching!!

44 today, celebrating with an easy 8 over lunch.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DT you are a buying genius. I worked in Purchading for 20 years and could not have pulled off a more audacious masterpiece 😉
    How did the swim go Gul. My pace was ok but struggled for distance after the long break.
    Great times SBD and Leslie for 6 mile runs, looking rather good.

• Options
    Hello all! Thought I'd pop my head back in, been reading along but not posting. Had a massive loss of mojo after Berlin, then holiday and moving into our first house meant I didn't get much consistent running done. Somehow managed to dig out a PB at Telford 10k though (37.21). Starting to get back into some consistency now and I'm making my XC debut on Saturday. Ended Xmas 12lb over raceweight but that should start coming off with the VLM training ramping up!

Noted some excellent performances & training towards the end of the year, looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on in the spring!

Happy Birthday DT!
  • Options
    Happy birthday DT - great birthday present to yourself with the Next% - did you go for the Ekiden colourway or the white? You'll love them, they are a noticeable step up in comfort/stability from the 4%.

Stevie - good to hear from you and congrats on an excellent unexpected PB. You deserved a rest after Berlin. Good luck with the XC debut - I made mine in December at Blaise castle and hated every minute of it!

Easy 5 last night, ended up progressive from 8ish down to 7:15ish for the last couple of miles feeling very strong; probably something in the double digits planned this evening.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Happy birthday DT!!

Ekiden colourway? I read a book (rare thing) on holiday last year called The Way of The Runner. It describes the Ekiden relay events in Japan and how big they are, national TV events. Hakone Ekiden in January is the biggest. Worth a read. Must be wear Nike got the word from.

Brought my kit into the London office today and managed a cheeky 5 miler at lunchtime. They supply towels and shower gel here so it's less of a faff bringing in everything. Super slow run with a young colleague who was puffing a bit at 8.30 pace, just what I need right now though, consistent slow miles.

Only problem I had was when I was right in the middle of my shower when the fire alarm went off! Managed to get dressed and was soon out in the street drying my hair with a towel.