Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's excellent DT always good if you can avoid the excesses of Xmas blowing your running off course. 
    By contrast I could only manage 19:36 at Keswick parkrun. Couldn't get any of the miles under 6 mins. That's where I'm at. 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's still a good workout OO so soon after the marathon - the speed will return.

Excellent time at the parkrun this side of Christmas DT.  Could you not have found an extra second to make it a SB?

Hopefully you can get a injury free run through to London Jools.

A good pick-up on the 11 miler Gul.

A good set of 800m reps Leslie - go easy with the Hamstring.

Twenty miles on boxing day is super impressive Ian.

Hope you can get back running in the New Year Poacher.

Managed to escape for 11 miles on Christmas Day - beautiful conditions with blue skies and sunshine and very quiet on the Chiltern country lanes.  7 recovery with strides on Boxing Day, 10 progressive yesterday and then another 7 recovery with strides today.  Still feeling a little bloated but tomorrow's 18 miles should clear the cobwebs away.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Lesley-Nice paces there.
    DT-Likewise for your parkrun,nice speed.
    OO-That's still a good time,can imagine keswick isn't the fastest course.
    A couple of near 9 mile runs the last 2 days gives me 56 for the week,my 2nd highest of of the year,still feeling good,day off tomorrow for football then go again monday.
  • Options
    Nice parkruns from DT and OO. 

7.5 with strides for me. Getting there!
  • Options
    parkrun with daughter #2 this morning. She asked to be paced to 25 minutes and that seemed to coincide with the pace of a friend so we chatted and she tucked in behind us and followed. Seems to have worked out well as she ran 24:18 (GPS said coirtse was short but that is the danger of trees and turns) and knocked 2 seconds off her PB.  27:20 same time last year so a good improvement. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's the spirit Jools 😉
    Parkrun is made for family running PMJ, congrats to junior 👍
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Jools - pleased to hear you're back out on the road again.
    DT - nice work at parkrun.
    OO - hope you're back on top form soon.
    SBD - some good sessions over the Christmas period. Only managed 4 runs myself.
    Ian - excellent week to finish the year.
    PMJ - nice pacing and well done to your daughter.
    No running yesterday but did 12 miles this morning with 8 @ 7:24/m. Only 48 for the week and next week will a bit short too with the New Year and a weekend in York.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Dt that's a cracking time after livin' it up all week a new pb is surely just round the corner now.
    0054 very decent time given you are not feeling the best 
    SBD you bagged a lot of miles there no let up for you ,which is probably why you are much faster than us lol !
    IAN 56m is good for this time of year fail play.
    Jools sorry to hear you have had another setback but 2020 has got to be better now for you.
    PMJ nicely paced and I suspect your daughter will be pacing you soon enough !
    GUL nice bit of steady running and a decent week too.

The doms I experienced on boxing day was the worst I've had in a very long time , too much sitting about all day for several days then 2 sessions all while coming of nights , it hurt to move , to sit to just be alive lol nasty ! sat in a hot bath for an hour helped a lot  as I was like the tinman on a wet day .......

2 easy days to get going again them 10m this morn with 4 at tempo pace , miles 6 to 9 , paces 7:02, 6:48, 6:47, and 6:40 to finish , then 1 easy.  Had to work for those paces but enjoyed the run and this is now my key session, very windy on the way out and got a little wind assistance in places on the way back.
    Have managed to gain 3kg in a few days so will need to get that shifted again 
    32m for the week .

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    one or two of you kindly asked, so - the 19 required is done, with 6 inc hard parkrun yesterday and 13 plod miles today.   65,000 by age 65 (and 4 months)  is accomplished.  

keep going folks - still enjoying following you all :)   
  • Options
    That's a duck of a lot of miles, Birch.  Nice one!  (I'm not sure what I've managed by 40, but my current Garmin, which I think I've had for just over 5 years, is a little shy of 12,000 miles at the moment).

Nice tempo, Leslie.

15 for me to bring up 55 for the week and … drum roll ... take me over 2,000 for the year: first time I've managed that since 2016.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent total, Jools particularly given you've had a few injuries.  

Nice work on the 65k, Birch. That's some consistency to get there. 

Leslie, good little tempo session. I wouldn't worry about weight just now as a lot will be retained water. 

Solid 12, Gul and still reasonable mileage. 

likewise, Ian, 56 is a good number for this particular week. 

oo, yes i was a bit surprised to fair so reasonably. i was a little bit sick in the finish funnel though. 

SBD, i was almost tempted by xmas day as it looked so nice out there. Decent selection of runs for the week. I probably could have with hindsight but i think I'd have made a proper mess in the finish funnel had i pushed more. 

I was down in Bristol last night for a night out and was wide awake quite early, certainly too early to safely drive home so eventually i got up and did my 6m recovery run there which pushed along my recovery from last night. 

Hoping to get a couple of decent weeks in now ready for Speedway 10k. 

I've asked this before, but I'm ready to book now....any area names to look at accom in Berlin thats a decent area and convenient for the start? 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

DT - I went for the Maritim Hotel which is c. 1.5K from the start/finish. Good opportunistic recovery run from you.

Good yearly mileage given the injuries Jools.

Great milestone to have reached Birch.  70,000 by 70 should be an easy one!

Good tempo miles in that 10 Leslie - the boxing day doms sounds far from fun.

Well done on getting the 12 in Gul. It's a tricky time to keep getting the miles done.

Good work on the weekly mileage Ian.

It was a bit of a mental battle to get out for the long run this afternoon.  Conditions were good, with some pleasant winter sunshine and the legs didn't feel too bad once I'd set off.  18 miles @ 7:40, with the last 5 miles @ 7:18.  Good to get the long run mileage back up nearer twenty but I'm now feeling suitably wrecked.  70 miles for the week and 3,386 year to date.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Cracking stuff Birch, no idea where i am vs that but probably less than 1/2.

Im slightly ahead of SBD and need 22m for 3500 which should be achievable with an mlr and a 10m scheduled for the next 2 days.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey you guys are cranking out those miles.
    Many congrats Birch on a massive achievement. And you must be a diligent record keeper too.
    TR and SBD incredible annual miles, and about 1000 ahead of me. You too Jools, decent miles in a difficult year. 
    DT I'm staying near checkpoint Charlie but not based on much research. 
  • Options
    Leslie - nice tempo run.
    Birch - congratulations. That's an awesome achievement very few will match. Only another 35,000 to go now ;
    Jools - hurray! Nice one.
    DT - well done fitting the recovery run in.
    SBD - great fast finish long run and a good first week. Very impressive annual mileage.
    TR - that will be a great tally.
    OO - I think I'm a hundred or so miles behind you.
    11 slow miles to start the week.
  • Options
    A good start to the week, Gul.  A more modest 5 mile recovery run for me!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am in work today so went out over lunch to do yesterdays long run and squeezed 12 in. That gives me 2145 for the year with a 6m run to come tomorrow.

I've found a hotel in same area as the Maritim which seems convenient enough, thanks.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Birch - legendary mileage. None of us lightweights will reach that figure
    Gul - thanks
    OO - further south at the moment, Keswick next week
    DT that's a good location for the start, but anyway Berlin is flat, very walkable and has v good public transport. Plenty of good places to eat in Mitte which is a little north of the centre of what used to be East Berlin. Make sure to catch the inline skating mara which is the day before the running event - great entertainment.

Apropos of nothing, I had a talk with Poachette yesterday who confirms that at her level (international, and completing against the UK's elite/Olympian pro women) it is now ALL about those springy Nike shoes. The view on the start line is that the Nikes are a "guaranteed PB" worth a good 30 sec over 10k and 2min+ for a mara. She says those without these shoes feel they simply cannot compete and are giving up other sponsorships. And the latest version costs £200+ and only has 100 miles of running before wearing out. So normal people without financial backing can't afford to compete. If any or all of this is true, Nike have created something remarkable but I'm not sure this is where a traditionally pure sport should be going. What do you all think?

HNY to all.
  • Options
    Poacher: I agree about The Shoes. It is no coincidence that we are apparently in the middle of a resurgence in distance running when there are shoes which turn us into faster runners. I no longer buy Nike as IMO they - at the least - turned a blind eye to what was happening at the Oregon Project, long after whistle blowers warned them of what USADA now accepts has happened. And that's without considering the new allegations from Mary Cain! But in terms of the shoes, I feel it's a bit like the swimsuits which FINA ultimately banned: those without them are pretty much prevented from winning. And if so, that cannot be fair or right.
  • Options
    SBD a cracking week and amazing year total 
    TR almost 10 a day every day ,outstanding maybe a little more focus on speed now will give some new pb's with such a solid base.
    0054 another good year for you
    GUL nice start to the week and another fine year.
    Jools 2000m is very decent given the injuries you have had.
    DT a fine year for you too.
    Poacher surely its only a matter of time before the other brands catch up but Nike have certainly left them for dead at the minute.I did wonder how long they last and at 100m I think I will pass lol.

At work today so will be a rest day and declaring on 1365m for the year ,happy new year all lets make it a good one.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Poacher and your secret insider reporting assignment 😉
    I'm also declaring on 2433 miles for the year. Due to man flu I haven't run for 2 days so a grumpy end to the year. I also swam c116 miles this year, so although I'm 120 run miles down year on year, the increased swimming more or less makes up the gap.
    Highlights for 2019 are breaking 10 mins for 3000 meters on the track, winning the BMAF title for 10k track, and my 3* sub 3 hour marathons. It has been great sharing tales with you guys and here's wishing you all a fab 2020💪🤞
  • Options
    DT - well done squeezing in the 12 miler.
    Poacher - certainly things are not heading in a good direction regarding the shoes. And just when I thought I might be able to claw back however many mins the cheap shoes cost me Nike up the ante ;)
    Leslie - good to see you starting to get back on track. Long may it continue!
    OO - those are some cracking highlights. I reckon a swimming mile is easily worth more than a running one :)
    Last run of the year for me today. Out at 4:40 so decided to go for this week's long run which P&D said was 17 with 8 @ MP, which came out at 7:06/m. Overall averaged 7:23/m.  Finally back up to 200 a month now (207). Total for the year is 2366. Very pleased to say the least with 2019; parkrun, 10k and mara PBs including a sub 3:15 and GFA at last :) All the best for 2020 to you all.
  • Options
    I did my last run yesterday so I can rest today before double parkrun tomorrow which in itself is not too much of a challenge but we also run 5 miles both way between parks so it is about 16 miles in total with a couple of decent efforts. 2072 miles for the year so ahead of the nominal target of 2019 (so it will be 2020 as a target next year). Very pleased with the evenness of the mileage throughout the year so my shortest week was 30 miles so didn't really miss any time due to injury or illness and my shortest month was February with 158 miles so very similar to 2017 (2070 miles and shortest month 152) but the average pace has gone from 7:57 to 8:36 but that is mainly due to the transition from mainly road and paths to off-road (so I normally run about 24 hours a month and in 2017 that was 275 hours and this year I am just shy of 300 in total).

Climbing for 2019 was 31,536 m and for 2017 21,141 m. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    1800 miles for me,should fit 8 in later which will just be a new record.
    Delighted with the year,kept injuries mainly at bay,PB's in every distance from 5k to Marathon,7 marathons all under 3:30,when before this year I'd only had 2 and PB dropped 7 mins to 3:07.
    1st 2 majors completed and NYC is by far my highlight of the year,loved everything about it

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im going to disagree on the life span of the vaporflys. My first pair purchased in July 2017 have been my tempo session shoes for a year now. I estimate a good 800m on them from that and 15 months racing in them. Whilst they have torn in the material they still provide benefits compared to doing 10m tempo in tempo shoes. I'll wear them untill they fall apart. Way more mileage from them than any other type of running shoe. The 100m figure as quoted as the end of their absolute best.

Poacher, thanks for the Mitte info, and interesting thoughts generally from your niece. My coach saw photos from Telford and noted up top an asics sponsored athlete running in them. 

i suspect nike has a few years patent on the tech and once that ends it's open season and prices ought to come down.

Decent going, Ian, not easy to pb across the board. I've managed 4 of 7, 17s off 5k, 4s off 10k and 9s of half mara. 

You've had a great year, oo. 

out at 4.40, Gul!!! 

im off out in a bit for 5m to declare at 2150 ish, my highest ever. My highlight was the perfectly executed london mara, 2 min pb and a 1 min negative split. 

Looking forward to more fun in 2020! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Poacher - as DT says some research will show lots more miles than 100. If you only race in them its a lot of races. Also remember that other race shoes would cost decent money. 4% were recently going 50% off on black friday......as jools said there is a lot not to like re Nike but anyone wanting to be competitive cant really afford to not wear them. The 1.59 shoes might get banned on stack height but the 4% and next % are production shoes, si i doubt theyll go away now. NB have had some athletes wearing their protoype version, the guy who recently broke the m40 record included, and saucony have some coming......if you only race in them its more affordable, esp given the money folks spend on supplements, entrys, travel, beetroot juice...........ive never had a pair of race shoes before but recently bought a pair of the 4% half price, havnt worn them yet.

Leslie - hopefully a bit more structure going fwd, but the best bit about 3500 is the double digit consistency, and in Nov i ran a 1/2 at the pace i ran 10k in January. 

Gul - nice one on the p and d mp run, im on to those this campaign. Dont forget the LT runs.

10 today brings up 3502.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I will add thats its not all about the shoes in order ti create a kevel playing field some folks have more understanding families, jobs, sponsors, better health, better luck and better training environments......the shoes just add a bit to a person given all of the rest, probably fair to say that some of the improvement is probably simply down to believing the shoes make someone faster too.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well done on the annual mileage and consistent training TR (did you have any injury down time at all?) - should set you up nicely for the Spring.

I think we're going to see a lot more of the magic shoes in action in 2020.  The champs start line at London will certainly be an interesting sight!  There is clearly growing momentum for some form of statement/action from the athletic bodies.

A good annual total DT and good to be chipping away at the PBs.

Lots of highlights there Ian, staying injury free is the key.

Pacy MP miles there Gul, although not sure about the timing!  And lots of PBs for 2019.

An impressive year OO at both ends of the distance scale.

Leslie - you've done well to build the running back, hopefully you've laid the foundation for some good times in 2020.

What better way to end the year than a tempo run!  So the usual 10 miles with the middle 10K at threshold pace on the treadmill late afternoon.  Not quite in the mood for too much mental suffering, so an average of 6:20 pace for the 10K, with the HR only peaking at 173.  Brings me up to 3,402 for the year which is far in excess of any previous years.   There was no real target, I just managed to avoid injury for the main and not let the mileage drop too much between the spring and autumn marathon campaigns.

It was good to get a couple of PBs in 2019 (parkrun, 10K and marathon) but the highlight has to be the Abingdon time which still makes me smile.

Wishing everyone an injury-free 2020 and lots of PBs.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Tr liking the sub 80 half target for next year. 
    SBD London will be a sea of nikey pink, nice tempo.
    IAN a good year for you. 
    BIRCH amazing mileage and here's to a new target! 
    700 last, 1300 this year think 2020 miles sounds a worthy target for me with the slim chance of a pb again next year. Might avoid the mara again and focus on the half. 

• Options
    I ran a Parkrun today in 22:35 in hot conditions on a tough course. 
    To my disappointment I checked my results and my time has been recorded as 52 minutes and 300 places lower. This is the first and only time I ran this course and I will run my normal Parkrun course in the future. I find it disrespectful having my time swapped. 
    A step closer towards 250 Park Runs, only 95 to go. I am slowing edging my way closer towards 250!

It was an age grade of 93% for a 65 to 69 year female runner that stole my time. That is how they get those dodgy age grade times, they swap times.