Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I make you right, there Joolska. A couple of weeks ago I was lamenting an awful 10 where it just wasn’t happening and this week a varied 12 session was comfy feeling at sub-7 avg. Always worth venturing out, you never know what it will bring.

Oh bloomin’ heck, MsE, thanks for that! I have machine envy now, what a lovely bike. My Giant is 5 years old and I need to upgrade it despite being a fair weather rider.

Yesterday was an easy 7 after the pleasing effort on Tuesday. Today was a Forrest Gump 6 miler, just running with no real purpose. Sort of felt OK when I started so “ah just kept on run-ning” and it came out at 6.52 pace.

Rest now until an 18 LSR on Saturday.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    MsE I guess these are these for real riding or some virtual stuff too? My bike was bought in France. It's about 20 years old and a classic aluminium races with lever years- cost 50 Euros on a 'vide  grenier ' sale. I'm sure this helps 😆

Glad you feel better Jools. I tried some more speed efforts but coming off a high mileage few days I'm still feeling flat so 6:40 was my fastest mile. 

• I'm lost with the bike talk. I have a spin bike that cost £150 back in 2016. It squeaks and the resistance dial's position has absolutely zero influence on the actual resistance you're cycling at. It saved my sanity when recovering from a broken toe in 2016 and broken ankle in 2020.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    MsE - good to hear you're getting on okay. Will have to pass on the bike talk. Hope the recovery continues well.
    Jools - funny old game indeed!
    GD - that's way too fast for Forrest Hump :)
    OO - sounds like a bargain.
    Speedy - not as lost as me, evidently.
    Binned today's run after hamstring became painful during 2nd mile. Looks like a few days rest is needed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, sorry to hear the hammy isn't quite playing ball. Hope is resolves soon. What do you do with yourself all morning when you're up and the run is aborted?

MsE, when I was able to last summer after my stress, I got on the bike. Whilst I have a reasonably decent rd bike, it is hooked up to a turbo that is not much more than a bike stand, simply because I have no power in my garage. Anyway, over June and July I essentially followed a running schedule on my bike for 2 months whilst I firstly couldn't run and then was building back up, and it made a huge difference in my view to my progress.

Another nice session there, g-dawg.

Since Tuesdays session I've done a 12m MLR and a 5m recovery. Out over lunch for a 10m tempo then 22 on sunday.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone! Wow there is some seriously fast stuff happening on here. 

G-Dawg - That's a tasty 12 miler. Sub 3 is close.

DT - That 10k is superb. You have really progressed in the year. Great to see. Talk of 22 miles, must be a marathon on the horizon? 

MsE - As said elsewhere it's great to see you back and my word you were flying recently. 

Gul - Still banging out big weeks and incorporating your chores, that always makes me smile. Do you ever hear from Mr Phillip M Jones? I miss his posts on here

Speedy - on the comeback trail which is nice to see and getting fit. 

Jools - Ditto. You seem to be heading in the right direction too.

OO - Hope you can do Berlin. I'd love to run that one as it's got to be the fastest course around.

TR - I note you are no longer using a Casio and have invested in a Garmin. Strange times we are living in indeed.  ;)

Birch - Been wondering are you getting on and hope your boy is doing well and still flying. I was looking at some archive XC races recently on tinternet and it made me think about your boy's fantastic XC pace and position in one of the big races a few years back. Can't quite recall which one but it may have been the National's. Lorenzo, OO and myself had a duel in Parly Hill a few years back The mud and hills were a killer but what an experience that was, would love to do it again. 

Leslie - Sorry to read about all your recent bad luck. How's your comeback coming along?

All this talk about fast bikes makes me smile when I think of mine. I have a Dutch cruiser and for anyone who doesn't know what that is it's one of those upright bikes you see everywhere in Amsterdam like in the below. I used to visit there a lot when my family lived there and loved that style of bike but it's not fast. Super comfortable though. 

In running news I'm doing the bare minimum to try and stay reasonably fit and just for the enjoyment of getting out and moving. I like that. Races will hopefully come soon. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi Gérard, good to hear you are keeping well. 

Tempo went well, 10m in 62.51 (6.17mm) on same course as 3 weeks ago which came out 6.19mm and 160. Pleased with that in the heaviest phase of training. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gerrard - i probably use about 1% of its capability, the cheeky fckr currently predicts 3.17 for me and is forever telling me off, but i dont use a chest strap so i understand why.

DT - nice, you are defo heading 2.4X. Dorney didnt update today as planned (maybe later), but Big G put on Shades thread that theres no progress and more meetings planned re restart dates and the minimise travel point.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, thanks. They've just updated. EA are happy races come within organised sports events, the sticking point, as you've identified is what 'minimise travel' means. They are seeking further guidance from DCMS on this point. Problem is, that is in rules until 17th May so if its say, stay within county (which would contradict the general population position) then other than inter club events i dont see mass public events being financially viable. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Just seen it, so pretty much what Big G said. The minimise travel doesnt come out of the govt roadmap until May 17th as you say, so not sure how moving back in April would help anyway.......I'll probably roll back to Goodwood as its local at 15m ( but a different county !). Its tricky as its in the govt roadmap.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    DT - always plenty of stuff to do early in the morning as long as it's not noisy! (I know that should include foot exercises MsE...) Enjoy your long run. They seem.a distant memory. Another impressive tempo run.
    GM - good to hear from you. PMJ is okay I think, still posting on other threads and running for its own sake.
    TR - you should get a polar watch. They're inaccurate in the opposite direction. Disappointed to slip from a predicted 2:01 to a shabby 2:34 marathon time ;)
    GD - looks like the Linnets are coming down to Woking today for a good thrashing. LOL.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hoping for a rare 3 points today, Gul. Our isn’t great of late, though.

Finally had a decent LSR today. First one this year where I felt strong throughout and had that nice cruising along feeling near the end. Had a good chat with my mate as we covered a couple of hills that used to appear tough for us a few years ago. 18 miles which came out at 7.48 pace. It’s been a good running week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great work, Gdawg, and always especially nice if it's as long overdue as the first decent one of the year. Fair play to you for hanging on in there all that time!

Good to hear from Gerard.

Gul: even with the tougher standards, still on for champs start, even if not a crack at the world record 😂

Nice and calm here: sunny but cool, i.e. totally spoilt! 10 miles with 10 X 1 minute @ 5k pace (off 1 minute), 1 mile jog, then 4k @ marathon pace
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Everyone is obviously busy enjoying the weather!  A beautiful but cool morning here, which made for a pleasant 17 miles over a lumpy route.  55 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well I had a lie in this morning but got out for 18 in the hustle and bustle of the seafront crowds by mid morning. After 2 cutback weeks this was planned as a big week and ended on 79, up there with highest ever. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey OO, that’s a great weekly total, nice one!
    Solid sounding 17, Jools.

Got a recovery 5 done today to bring up 49 for the week, biggest of the year so far.
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    14 for me this morning. I thought my GPS was playing silly buggers, because every time I looked at my watch it said something daft, like sub 7 pace when I was ambling along quite slowly. But the route came up at the usual 14 miles, but at something daft like 7.34 pace. I need to find someone to run with to slow me down. How come my week day/night recovery runs are 8.30 pace or slower, but my Sunday runs are coming out so fast? There's over 1000ft of elevation in that route as well. 

Brings up 70 miles for the week (almost). I feel like a runner again.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice lsr, gdawg. Sounds like you're in a good place from your description. 

Some decent long runs and weekly totals coming in. 

I had a very similar experience to speedy today for my 22 miler where I kept finding myself running 7.20s but perceptively feeling like I was plodding along, which my hr correlated with. It left me thinking GPS was wildly output the mapped route came out bang on 22 as planned. 

7.33mm for 22m at a low 140bpm. I dont think I can ever recall such a comfortable long run. I used this as a race time on feet trial run. I set out at 11am as per raceday, had my pre run maurten 320 and a gel every 5m so got 4 in me. I had planned to run no faster than 7 45mm to replicate raceday time as well but couldn't manage it so came out 2.46. Close enough though. 

That's 66m, one short of my highest ever. 2 more big weeks to go prior to taper. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That sounds odd Speedy, my Sunday runs are always slow- today 8:33 pace. I'm usually knackered by Sunday so good for you 👍
    Another cracking run DT...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Liking the strategy, DT. I spoke to the Maurten guys at the London Expo and they told me what to do on race day. 

I carbo-loaded and hydrated the days before (some tips on that from you). I had one 320 before the start, finishing it just 10 mins before the gun. I brought my gels forward and had them at 6, 12, 17, 21. As you can see, chopping a mile off each gap as the race progresses. Worked an absolute treat. Never felt fuel depleted at all.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do on the day. Only weather can thwart a spectacular result.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - thanks for your interest;  yes, my "boy" (he's 33 now)  :o  is still going well - in 2019 he bagged 71:16 HM (Manchester) & 2:34:17 at VLM - he was scheduled for Berlin last year; hopefully it will happen this time around in Sept.   

Good to hear you are still "getting out and moving" :)   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    G dawg, I like to get it down me about 45m to an hour before just because I dont want 500ml of fluid sat in my stomach as I set off. I try not to take a gel after 20m if feeling good at that point just in case it upsets my stomach. I think with a decent carb load in advance, the maurten drink and usually a gel 10 min before start, 4 is then quite enough in race to stay topped up. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Good to see CC a bit more chipper

Well done on the increaaed miles OO and Dawg, ive had a few bigger weeks and feel pretty smoked by it.

DT - nice one you're in a good place. Cant see Dorney happening unless racing is exempt from the minimise travel, as thats still in the govt roadmap until May......i did 21 with the middle 10 av 6.40 yday, but found it tough on a breezy day. I dont think im where i was before CV (i did 13 at that pace in a long run a few times last summer), but im not far away. Should be sub3 shape though, although as Dawg says its weather dependent on these circuit races.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, thanks, it's all a bit bizarre. Why now, after 10 years of drip feeding gains and off the back of 5 months lay off! 

The active training world bloke was of the view following the call with EA that they didn't anticipate it being an issue and he feels is business as planned. If it is an issue then it eventually crushes the financial viability of public races if everyone has to be within the county say. 

Bizarre given I recall at the time you saying you didn't really have any symptoms at the time. I've been to collect a few packs of lateral flow tests in accordance with government requirements upon kids going back tomorrow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - consistently building upon successive campaigns and you having a coach which brings accountability and keeps you doing the right things.......the minimise travel restriction lifts in May so maybe its just a delay in racing.....agreed i had less than a cold, but it took a while for my running to come back, which wasnt helped by 2 weeks shut indoors and my body groaning to get going again, and a then a careful build back up in case i had any residual infection. Im also about to turn 54 so maybe the sands of time are catching up with me too, although ive just put in some ~80m weeks. We'll find out soonish.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - strong LSR and weekly total. Well done to Woking. Not quite a thrashing, but a comfortable 3 points.
    Jools- very nice session and good LSR. I'm back on world record chasing form today - 2:01 LOL.
    OO - going great guns :)
    Speedy - yes, very odd. But that's a great week whatever the finer details.
    DT - that's a very impressive HR and pace for your 22 miler :)
    Birch - good to hear from you. Hope Birch jnr can have a great race in Berlin.
    TR - sounds like you're still in very decent form, if not quite as sharp as before the virus.
    Had 2 days rest and all seemed fine, so went for a test run this morning. Had a few aches but hamstring was okay. Then I popped into Tesco and running home with the shopping, it started playing up again :(

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I blame Tesco Gul. Go easy.....Rest day here
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - I took your advice and had a rest today. As usual, pain is now elsewhere. Hopefully it will settle down shortly. Maybe need to have a month or so of low mileage when I do get back to it. Probably did too much too soon. Schoolboy error :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Had a bowl of Bran Flakes for breakfast. Poured them out and there wasn’t enough left for another bowl, so I polished the lot off in a greedy gorge of fibre loaded loveliness. What an idiot!

Went out for a 10 miler at lunchtime and after about 4 miles the plumbing started to play up. Pipes were banging and stomach cramps started to kick in. The session was an attempt to just stay at 6.5x pace for the whole thing. I managed to do it but the final 4 miles were touch and go.

Somehow I managed to hit all the splits and averaged 6.53.
    Started to feel good in between cramps, which was good. I guess the issues stopped me from pushing the pace any higher.

Despite all our experience, we’re still prone to the odd schoolboy error.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That sounds ... interesting, G-Dawg!

Hope the body is recovering, Gul.

Two days of running + chores for me: ran to the office and back to pick up a piece of snail mail yesterday, and then did a cat-food sachet recycling drop off today.