Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done KR - a worthy winner

Thanks Poacher, Jools - must get some before the snow descends ...

• Options
    Excellent news! Well done KR! I'm looking forward to following your journey image

Poacher, have fun on Sunday.

I might get to my first parkrun on Saturday (end of term means I have fewer taxi duties) - how exciting....
  • Options

Well done KR.  Been hard not to say anything for the past 24 hrs. Time to start training in kms!!!  Very well deserved indeed. image

• Options
    Time for a few days recovery for me I think, just as soon as I get my next 2 runs out of the way. Getting a bit tired now after increasing my volume. Just maybe I am going too fast on my easy runs as well. Just came back from 7 miles with the last 4 miles supposed to be at 7:10m/m. Not pretty. Last 4 miles at 7:07, 7:30, 7:22, 7:27 and much harder than usual.

I've got 2 cut back weeks of around 30 miles and volume goes back up again in January.

Enjoy yourselves in Pompey Poacher and TR. Maybe a treadmill marathon in parallel Jeremy;-)?
  • Options

well done KR, hopefully proves beneficial as well as being fun.

VLM - I've started my P&D 55-70 18 week schedule now image - I'm starting early since off ski-ing on Boxing Day. I won't be able to adhere to it at all times, partly for finding the time and partly depends on injuries, in particular achilles, I'm probably not ready for a full 15 this weekend either.

But hoping that I can generally get the full long run in (extending one or two to get 5 or 6  20+ milers) and that if mileage for the rest of the week does fall short it is at least that of the upto-55 schedule.

Having said that, most weeks call for three double-digit mile runs - I'm thinking of playing safe and capping the Friday runs at 10miles - does anyone have any views on this?

• Options
    Amcurrently on a cut back week to absorb the mileage and training of the past 12 weeks. Been feeling fresher as the week has gone on and took an extended lunch break to sneak in an 8 mile run.
    Two mile easy, two mile steady, two mile MP, one mile HM pace, one mile warm down with 6*100m sprints.
    Everything went spot on until the mile at HM pace which was slower than intended but tbh, just getting out in daylight hours and moving nicely was more than enough.

Scary to hear people have started their 18week schedules already! Before you know it, Jools will be running home for Christmas and then people will be on the 16 week countdown to VLM........
  • Options
    Wind is just messing me about at the moment (and I am not referring to Ants spouts). Today went for a gentle 7 and set out with the wind on my back and so coasted at 6.5x, then turned and came back "into the wind", but still at 6.5x. All in all 6:58 average, wind seemed behind me all the way. New fastest average for the course on a recovery day, previous best was 7:03 average when I was speeding up for a 10k.
  • Options
    Slo-hoho-keyJoe wrote (see)
    I might get to my first parkrun on Saturday (end of term means I have fewer taxi duties) - how exciting....
    Excellent - which one? Don't forget your barcode and don't sweat all over it - the scanners hate that image
  • Options
    knight rider wrote (see)

The past 2 days have been torture by not being able to say anything, but it's official now - I'm in!!!

Thanks MM and everyone on here for the votes and nice comments. I have got to a lot to live up to to follow in your shoes MM. I am genuinely looking forward to all the training and advice and the fact that the marathon is taking place in Paris is a Brucey bonus. Quite frankly I would have done it in Skegness, just so long as the advice & support was the same!

Cheers, Colin.

Fantastic news KR, looking forward to following your journey image
  • Options

KR well deserved after last years disappointment, we are all looking forward to your progress. No pressure thoimage

Poacher good luck for the weekend, enjoy number 27... amazing amount. Can you work out how many pairs of shoes you have gone through in that time? and moneyimage

PMJ  flying in those conditions, plenty of time to decide how to run your 10m 3 wks out, but i would be tempted to go for it and reap the rewards of mara training.

Mat brilliant, well done..

• Options

Bike it - a treadmill marathon, hmmm probably not. I can do about 2 hours without going totally insane!

• Options
    Hurrah, KR.  Thrilled for you!
  • Options

NICE ONE KR  image - very well done, indeed a Brucie bonus, but if you ask really nicely they may let you go to Skeggy rather than Paris.  Have a ball and don't get injured. Do keep us your adoring voting public up to date

Col -actually even after doing quite a few, every mara still stands out for stg memorable whether it's joy, pain, loss of blood, being Lorenzo's teaboy, being offered a wheelchair at the finish line, etc.  As for the cost in ££ - scary, but cheaper than other hobbies like fast cars or coke.

• Options

most P&D (55-75) weeks call for three double-digit mile runs - does anyone have any views on this??

(I'm thinking of capping the third one, ie. Fridays, at 10 miles)

• Options
    Excellent news for KR!

Simon/snowman - I've run three runs over 10 miles most weeks in every one of my marathon campaigns. LSR, MLR and MP or Tempo run. I think it really helps the endurance.
  • Options
    there's nowt wrong with doing 3 double digit runs in a week, back-to-back image
  • Options
    3 .... est ce tout Jools?
  • Options
    Hey BOTF, local park run is Barrow-in-Furness - and even roped in two of the Slokey Jrs... Can't wait!
  • Options
    snowmanx98 wrote (see)

most P&D (55-75) weeks call for three double-digit mile runs - does anyone have any views on this??

(I'm thinking of capping the third one, ie. Fridays, at 10 miles)

Issue here may be distance versus effort. The more I read  and run, the more I believe that hard day / easy day is a good thing, and on top of that, only three hard sessions a week (and maybe only two).

There is no doubt that you need a long run, and it is useful if you back up the long run with another a bit shorter, hence the medium run. Both over 90 minutes so double digits safely. Both of these are hard sessions. 

Then you need a third session and P&D mix it up a bit.

Week 12 to go is:

Mon rest
    Tue General aerobic 8m + strides
    Wed MLR 12
    Thu Recovery 5
    Fri MLR 11
    Sat Recovery 5
    Sun MLR 14

That looks OK to me, there runs over 10 but not a hard week, 55 total. Only issue is being clear what days are hard and what easy as an 11 MLR and 8m general are both neither fish nor fowl.

Week 7 to go is:

Mon rest
    Tue 6 & 4 recovery
    Wed MLR 15
    Thu 6 recovery
    Fri LT 12 M with 7@HM
    Sat 5 Recovery
    Sun 22 Long

That is a full on 70 mile week but only 3 hard days and 3 easy days. You get the Monday off following the 2. I personally would not wind back the Friday run as it seems to be a key one, it is the lactate threshold run in the lactate threshold mesocycle. Really, the Friday run is not a double digit run, it is a very easy 3 miles warm up, a hard 7, then 2 cool down. If you wind it down you cut either the warm up and cool down or rip out the guts in the middle:neither good.

• Options
    2 or 3 hard sessions a week? It's obviously a personal thing, but the harder you push yourself the more likelihood that you'll end up on the bench. The key is to learn to listen to your body, as Martin says, and know your own limits. One quote I like is "Any idiot can train themselves into the ground..." or something along those lines.
    Easy run for me this morning to Tesco's and back to buy some cut-meat for the packed lunches today. Somewhere just short of 3 miles I think. Very uneven pacing (14min there 11min back), which I found quite odd as it was just meant to be a recovery run.
  • Options

Thanks PMJ - thoughI could expect a good analysis from you - I probably won't cap but as Guldarrsays I need to be mindful of injuries.

Guldarr - did you buy an extra leg at Tesco's?

Might explain things...

• Options

Well done KR - much deserved

On the 3 long runs a week - to be honest if you are doing 55-50mpw it is pretty inevitable that you are going to be doing 2/3 long ones a week - I agree with PMJ in terms of benefits of MLRs, but fully support age old mantra of listening to the body and adjusting accordingly.

8 slow ones home last night - brings up 40 for the week to date.  20 mile LSR planned tomorrow to bring up 5th week of 60mpw - looking at weather forecast might have to be a 3 hour stint on dreadmill

• Options
    I don't count the MLR as a hard session, I do it at an easy pace, probably slower than the LSR. A typical week for me in the run up to VLM might look like this:

Monday - Recovery run up to 6 miles, Body Pump Class (+ extra recovery run of 3 or 4 miles in big weeks)
    Tuesday - Intervals with Notts AC, total mileage up to 9
    Wednesday - MLR at slow pace, up to 16 miles
    Thursday - Rest (active rest - Body Balance class)
    Friday - MP or Tempo within a run of up to 14 miles inc WU and CD
    Saturday - 2 x recovery runs totalling up to 10 miles
    Sunday - LSR up to 22 miles/3hrs 10

It looks like a lot just looking at it like that, but I've progressed to that over the previous 5 campaigns.
  • Options
    Snowman - no, but I could have done with an umbrella. I think I've just remembered the end of that quote "... and I should know!"
    Rat - 3hrs on the dreadmill? That's true dedication.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    It looks like a lot just looking at it like that, but I've progressed to that over the previous 5 campaigns.
    Yes, that really is key and probably where I've fallen down. I'm now contemplating what to do in the New Year. Over the last couple of months, I've only been increasing by 1 mile per week, with every fourth week a cut-back, and only one hard session per week. I will reach 20 by the end of the year. Trying to decide whether to stick to that or step up to 2 mile increments.  Once I reach 35-40mpw I intend to stick to that for a few months or so.
  • Options
    Lordy, I missed that. 3 hours on a treadmill? *shudder*
  • Options

PMJ - Have to say that's why I didn't like  P and D - for me there were some neither hard nor easy days and I didn't recover properly and hence ended up injured. Don't know if I would cope with it now with another couple of years of mileage in my legs however.

When does your schedule start then KR ?

• Options
    Phew, heavy weeks from Rat and Speedy's typical effort - looks a bit scary from my slow build (now in the 30's).

Interesting points about speed of MLR from Speedy and Fraser, what's the collective view? I'm prone to running them at steady pace and ending up at about MP plus 15 which sounds too fast on reflection, particularly if part of a 60+ mile week.

KR, what's next for you in the 26.2 process?
  • Options

Gul, it depends how you define hard but 2 to 3 hard sessions has to be the way to go. If you look at Speedy's plan, the intervals, LSR and tempo run are, in my book, hard days and she has sensibly made the Weds MLR an easy day.

I call a long run hard, it doesn't mean it is balls out. I did a half one this morning and did 7:30ish out and 7:10ish back to average mid 7.20s. Aftre a long ru=, I can feel I have done a session, but I am not crawling round the office for the rest of the day. Same as a track interval session, it feels hard when you are doing it, but you can run home afterwards.