Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Ta for the moniker suggestions - will adopt SJ's for the season  . . . . 

Great weekend's work by OO - drinking, racing (with age-group podium), and 18 miler . . .

Minni - good 20 . . .

Poacher -  "largely off road with areas of mud, frozen puddles, a few patches of ice, plus some mudflats, uneven grass and (very slow) shingle beaches.  Also very narrow much of the way, windy in places"  -  so you just decided to run it faster than originally intended in 3:15 ish !!  As you do!! 

• Options

Excellent marathoning again Poacher.  Love the way you decide to run faster as it was cold.  Not a bad way of doing a "slow LSR"  image

Alot of interesting views on training paces.  Not much that I can add apart from what I was told last year when being mentored on the RW6.  "Run easy runs easy and hard runs hard".

Speedy - I think that your improvements over the years have shown that the way you train suits you.  I wouldn't worry about changing it too much.  Just do your runs a bit faster than this year and you'll see the improvement come VLM.

For me I have done a weirdly easy 41.6 miles this week.  8 run in total with two days of doubles.  This is the same I have ran in the last three weeks put together and my longest week since VLM training in March.  The only problem is that only one run was more than 10 miles in distance as still not 100% sure about my knee on longer distances.  The road to recovery can be a long one!!!!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good mileage there Martin - hopefully the knee is OK.

Well done Poacher on knotching up another marathon in a very reasonable time - just as well it was coldimage  So no tricky patches?

A very respectable hung over 10K O&O.

A bit of an easy week for me.  Having picked up a calf twinge last Sunday at the end of the LSR, I took a few days off only to get a recurrence of the problem on Friday.  Hit the sports massage bench on Saturday to work on the calfs and had another rest day today just to be sensible.  Hopefully everything will be back to normal for Tuesday ... which is supposed to be the start of my 18 week P&D plan. May downgrade the scheduled tempo session to a general aerobic sessionimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    As Poacher washed his socks by night... wrote (see)
     came home in 3.16.19 having stopped for a brief showboat before the line.  Job done, life in the old dog. Must find another mara next month.
    Poacher I was just having a look through the results (my cousin-in-law did it and I was trying to find his time) and I think your chip time may have been a tad faster. image
  • Options

Poacher - Congrats on the performance.

Martin  - Good to see you back putting some decent mileage in.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    They cleared the ice Minni- well organised bunch down at Saltwell. Would definately come back for this one, just a little bit different- including the whisky minature and shot glass as the souvenir- worth turning up just for that.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Impressive racing Poacher and O&O.
  • Options
    Birch - Nice yearly mileage clocked up.
    OO - another good race there.
    Poacher - well done on yet another excellent mara, but what do you mean next month? There's still nearly 2 weeks left in December image
    Martin - good progress, if a bit frustrating for you, but better safe than sorry. I'm sure you'll be back up to full speed in no time.
    This website really has it in for me. I tried posting this weekend, but the login button had disappeared! Finished the week on Saturday with 5M including 4 x 600m efforts which worked out a few seconds quicker than the last set 4 weeks ago, averaging 6:08m/m. This week is cut-back, started with 3 easy miles this morning.
  • Options

Simon - Solid miles

Lorenzo - Another good 18 there

PMJ - I think your paces all look a bit quick and I am concerned whether you can maintain until April without risk of visiting the bench - but (a) you are clearly in great shape at the moment (b) you have a good pedigree (c)  you know your body better than anyone (d) there is no right answer. Mainly though keep the posts coming as having our own professor on here who can answer everything in seconds is gold!!

O&O - Good effort with poor head - I cannot do that at all

Poacher - Pure (mad) class

Martin - Good to see the miles are coming back slowly

Was meant to do my LSR first thing Sat - but with a bit of negotiation with Mrs Rat managed to find a lunch slot.  Thought I would be on the dreadmill as woke up to freezing cold rain etc - but by lunch was lovely in London.  Planned to do 20 miles @ 8.25 (MP+60) - felt pretty good the whole way round, Richmond park is so beautiful, so decided after 14 to push for 5 miles and managed to bag some 7.45s, then relaxed for last mile - All in all finished with 20 @ 8.12 - so pretty pleased with that (4th x 20 of campaign to date).  Finished up with 60 last week for 5th/6th week in a row, and am feeling ok. 

• Options

Well done Poacher, I don't know how you do it! Obviously the icy puddles meant you can slide more than run which makes it easy, but not bad all the same image

Great 10k from O&O - I must do one one of these days,but I'd struggle to get that time with a clear head and a flat course.

Supposed to be first week of P&D55-70 but I only did 43, but not too concerned as I got in 12 and 15 milers with no issues, was only able to fit in an easy 4 miler over the weekend.

Well done on building up the mileage Martin, Christmas probably means at least one enforced "rest day" so maybe Christmas Eve or Friday would be a good option for trying another mile or two longer (by the way on Fetcheveryone, one thing that irks me is that if I stop the watch for a stretch (as I sometimes do at the moment for achilles/calf) , then although the split summary is fine, the bar chart shows a really long split - have you come across this?) 

• Options
    Right then, I finally have time to post properly! Two weeks of freedom from work - woohoo! I could pretend to be a proper athlete if only a) it wasn't a pre-schedule rest period, and b) I didn't have lurgy.

Poacher, you are just simply a legend. No-one should be able to run marathons that fast off such limited training. Since you like running the things so often I think you should do the Liverbird double on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

O&O, another impressive performance. I've run that race twice (hated it both times, think I only went back a second time to make it a pair of shot glasses!) and can vouch for the hideousness of the hills.

I am contemplating a little jog. Maybe only 2 miles, and very slowly. I still have a bit of a cough and my ears still don't work, but I've not run for 9 days and I'm going stir crazy! I have a vague plan to play a little Fetchpoint and see how many points I can accumulate just from running round the estate my parents live on. Gym later for Body Pump - I have a pass.
  • Options
    Good luck with the recovery, Speedy. Hope you can take advantage of your well-earned hols. I intend to do the same - if Friday ever comes, that is...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I usually run more in my holidays image
  • Options
    The Rat wrote (see)
    PMJ - I think your paces all look a bit quick and I am concerned whether you can maintain until April without risk of visiting the bench - but (a) you are clearly in great shape at the moment (b) you have a good pedigree (c)  you know your body better than anyone (d) there is no right answer.

Richmond park is so beautiful, so decided after 14 to push for 5 miles and managed to bag some 7.45s, then relaxed for last mile - All in all finished with 20 @ 8.12 - so pretty pleased with that (4th x 20 of campaign to date).  Finished up with 60 last week for 5th/6th week in a row, and am feeling ok. 

It is odd how we view other people's plans. I haven't hit a single 20 yet and you have 4, and in the 9 weeks since Cabbage Patch 10 I have trained 415 miles with an average of 46 a week and a max of 55 whereas you are averaging 60. I would reflect your pace comment with one about quantity, but also offer the same 4 points back especially (c) and (d) which are key.
  • Options

Fingers crossed your calf will be back to normal tomorrow SBD.  I'd bin anything fast for a couple of weeks.

Excellent LSR and weekly mileage Rat.   Always good when you end a run faster than you started, and beautiful scenery is even more of a bonus. image

Simon - The bar charts on Fetch are ok but they can be skewed quite easily.  I wear a HRM and when I run with the club my average HR is far lower than on other runs as we often stop for others to catch up.  I don't use the graphs that often.  My plan is to add two miles per week to my longest run.  At 10m so far so next weekend will be 12m and so on.  Will get up to 20m all being well sometime in January.

Go for a short easy run Speedy.  Or a nice long walk (takes longer though).  It may shift a bit of the gunk image

Gul - I am having the same issues as you are on my home computer.  Work one is fine though so must be different versions of IE???

• Options
    2.3 miles, a couple of thousand Fetchpoint credits earned, and a load of gunk shifted!
  • Options

cheers folks....

TR - Pompey does look like a nice area for running with coastal flats and hills just inland, but I can see why locals might not want to do that mara. In ideal conditions it would still be a few minutes slower than a flat one on the road, with many opportunities for twisting ankles etc. Yesterday's results show only 8 under 3hr from 619, it is more an end of year bash that a race PB hunters would target

Minni, thanks, chip time 3.15.54 for 37th overall, would have been very annoying if it had been a GFA attempt 

Speedy - get well soon

Nice miles Rat and PMJ with your different tactics

Now, recovery run in the freezing rain  image 

• Options

PMJ - Fair point!!!image As we all agree - we are all different - and there are many ways to skin the cat.  Also you are training for a sub-2.50 marra and I am training to try and do 2x 4hour marras back to back so it is inevitable we are at different speeds / paces / distances. 

And PMJ - I so wish (b) was true - would love to have your natural pace or Poacher's endurance - in fact combination of both would be good!!!!

I have only been doing this marra thing for 3 years now - but my big learning for 2011 after an aborted injury ravaged attempt to have a (quick for me) crack at Edinburgh was that for me - I know now that I need to run training sessions at 70-80% to leave me time to recover - whereas earlier in the year I tried to do them all at 110% which was silly looking back at it now.

Poacher - I too am due, a recovery run today, says 8 miles on my chart....definitely think today's a treadmill day!!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Poacher - sounds like a decent run still from you. I used to round round the city and take in the seafront on my long runs, but I tend to stay off the island mostly now and run along, up, down and around the hill at the top of the City (I live at the bottom of it). Pompey used to have a big 1/2 mara back in the 80s and 90s but they stopped it cos the police bill was too high. I'm waiting for them to put on a pucker road marathon so I can bag a sub3 on home soil, and get some respect from the nippers as I'm yet to finish in the top 500 of a marathon ! 
  • Options
    TR wrote (see)
     as I'm yet to finish in the top 500 of a marathon ! 

You are choosing wrong. A quick trawl through the po10 marathon rankings to pick out the slowest athletes listed as finishing first yields winners of

2:54:20 Ramsey, IoM, only 3 sub 3
    2:55:38 Newcastle Town Moor, only 3 sub 3
    2:55:44 Battle, only 2 sub 3
    2:55:51 Mossbank, Shetland, only one sub 3

Get up to Shetland and go for the big W

• Options

Well done for your run in Pompey Poacher, good to see my fellow Southamptoners representing with their cheering, albeit pretty poor on the imagination front! They usually produce at least a 'run Forrest' on the occasions I venture to Southampton common! image

I have been in contact with St Albans striders via their forum and they all seem really friendly and there are lots of marathon runners around 3.15 so should get in some decent training as well as tea and cake eating by the sounds of it! image

After last weeks pitiful 12 miles I am looking for around 20 this week including my 'escapism' run on Christmas day to earn the Christmas dinner and pints round the pub! Roll on being fit again when 8 min miling felt easy! 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PMJ - agreed. I do VLM for the day out. I'll probably take the short trip over to IoW one year.
  • Options
    Has anyone here actually tried running on Shetland ?? At a guess the 60 mph winds and 1 in 2 hills might make a somewhat challenging set of circumstances for a casual sub3 coast home to victory !
  • Options
    Well said FW!

I know the guy that came second at Battle. He's a clubmate and a pretty decent runner. Silver medal at comrades in 2010. He won Beachy Head mara this year in 3:02 so I think his long 2:55 performance at Battle suggests it is a rather challenging course given BH's ridiculous reputation. He did 2:42 at London this year and I fully expect him to go sub 2:35 next year.

Nice one Poacher.

Still running a bit but not a huge amount. Enough to keep me sane. image
  • Options
    Newcastle's not an easy course either, but small enough to take down a win with a sub-par time. Speaking from experience image
  • Options
    Impressive running from Poacher - just casually knocking off a 3:16. Imagine what would happen if you really tried!!

I would think that Shetland would be a great place to run. I'm hoping to sort out a business trip up to the north of Scotland in the next few months so will try and sort out a run in the Thurso area.

Back in Surrey it was still a bit icy this morning so went off road for a 6.7miler. Nothing spectacular but I had to get back in time to head into town for a meeting / long lunch.

Can anyone recommend a pair of cycling glasses - predominantly for cycling, but would also be used for driving and looking cool (when I let someone else borrow them!)
  • Options

I was just doing the data mining, no attempt at a reality check was made.

This one I do know, what about Stratford, you can come in at 2:57:09 and place 21st image

TR, what is the ref to Isle of Wight? I missed that one as the winner was over 3:00 but I see I beat him when we last raced so maybe that is one for the calendar! Can't imagine it is a flat one, the half there this year was a killer by all accounts.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PMJ - IoW is a local mara, that I could finish near the front in, and the family could come and watch and maybe I could squeeze under 3 hrs, folks similar standard to me run ~3 hrs there. Or the New Forest,  I could probably sub3 there too, or Brighton. I Only want to finish higher up than ~500th to 700th,  I wouldnt ever try and aim at a race with winning aspirations though only top 50, or 20 etc, cos you can be sure that a few rock stars would show up and rain on my parade if I thought I could bag a top 5..
  • Options

When you step across from road running into the world of XC and trail marathons, you realise that clocking a time of PB + 30-45min can be a pretty good performance.  There are some terrific off-road runners out there, but they tend to do low key events and don't get much recognition.

Lorenzo I have Tifosi shades which weren't that expensive, have 3 sets of lenses and work really well. (Bought in US so not sure about availability here)

• Options
    That's not a road to step across poacher......more of a big scary grand canyon with man eating beasts siting at the bottom of it