Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Boxing does seem an interesting form of cross-training, but possibly just yet another way to get injured?

Fink swims really are a nightmare. They're so long! I only completed about 7 full sessions last year, and often just the thought of attempting one put me off altogether. But as they're there written in black and white I feel guilty not to be doing them properly. Lord knows why, as I don't remotely stick to the running or biking schedules.

Anyway, got through swim #1 yesterday,plus a 30min turbo-run session, so all very Finky. However I can already feel my initial enthusiasm waning. As people have hinted, I suspect year 2 of Triathlon/ironman will never be quite as much fun as the first year. But we'll see.....
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Pugsley ... I find that breathing out through my mouth is best for me but in a 'whistling' action, ie not a hard puff out and more of a natural rythymn

Unless of course I am going balls out which is extremely rare in the pool (or anywhere else for that matter) !!
    "Balls out" is much more appropriate for open water swimming - no? It's not a technique I'd recommend anybody uses in the pool, unless it's their own pool and the party's really swinging. 
  • Options

I do a boxercise class eack week, its great for cardio and good fun too.

Im hoping my fink book arrives todayimage

• Options

I went "balls out" in a tankini once in the sea down at Brighton, I wouldn't recommend it butl it was my stag do.

I've turbo'd for 30 mins and now i'm off to the pool.

• Options
    Joddly year one is always an exciting trip into the unknown sticking with ironman takes a more in the way of commitment IMHO I think its either alifestyle you either love and stick with or you go onto different stuff I usually do one every other year but what with the first IM Bolton, then Outlaw and now Wales this will be three in a row if I do go for Wales I think its gonna be so much harder to motivate myself but that is half the challenge for me image
    On the subject of Fink now you know what you are doing to maintain the interest fiddle about with the training a bit to suit yourself, I for one have never completed a Fink swim session image I just get as much done as possible in the time allotted works for me

IPM didnt you use Fink last year then?
  • Options

I'm with RBM on this one Joddly,  don't forget that it's meant to be fun,  I'm going to get back in the pool next week for first time since Outlaw (as I find swimming so tedious).  Will be doing things a bit differently this year now I know what it entails to complete an IM and where I think I can get the gains better without spending any more time on training.
    Mainly going to be trying to ride harder on the bike more frequently,  hard bike commutes and time trials will be in there along with some tweaking of the run training.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess I am starting to get the idea, but it really helps to have other people's thoughts and to know what you're up to.
  • Options
    I have started my marathon traing on Monday and kicking start my ironman training at the same time............going great this week so far apart from the swimming as the pool is closed most of the week......but managed to get a swim in today and tried out my new MP3 player..made it a bit easierimage
  • Options

Haven't done anything serious other than running this year, so looking forward to getting back on the bike and picking up the swimming again next week. Building up for a 30 week Fink plan starting in Feb - but not his swim sessions!

• Options

FWIW I knocked a huge chunk off my previous times this year by (I think)

Much less swimmimg 2 sessions a week in the pool swimming between 50-80 lenghts then in peak phase an additional mile to 2 mile sea swim around 7 of these. also followed Rosies tips on hydration and stretching a managed to complete my first IM swim without crampimage

Bike lots and lots of this commuted at least 3 times a week (hilly 45 mile round trip sometimes adding more on the homeward trip) and a long race pace ride on the weekend (only did  a couple of 100s though mainly 70-80 milers always followed these up with at least a 30 min run)

Run

Mainly steady 45 minutes at lunch during the week and one longish at the weekend up to 2 hours did a couple of 2:45s mid peak session

so to sum up did much less swimming (but what I did do was good quality)

Bike stacks more bike especially lots of fixed wheel commuting)

run bit less running but again all quality no dross

also I did a bit more core and did the 100 press up challenge to build upper body strength

Woked for me my previous PB 11:50 IN MY WILDEST DREAMSI was aiming for 11:30 and craked just under 11:13 IIRC (Helped by the thought of Cona out there somewhere hot on my heelsimage)

Just out for a nice hour and a half cruise up to Bodmin Moor on my fixed gotta get that bike strenght rebuiltimage

• Options
    seren nos yn canu wrote (see

I have started my marathon traing on Monday and kicking start my ironman training at the same time............going great this week so far apart from the swimming as the pool is closed most of the week......but managed to get a swim in today and tried out my new MP3 player..made it a bit easierimage
    Cannot wait to give mine a trial got somewicked training tunes on thereimage
  • Options
    Ridgebackmax - that sounds a good plan. What were Rosie's swimming tips that helped?
  • Options
    OK think boxing idea might have been moment of madness...must have been all the christmas pud image
    As my book hasn't arrived yet i'm just going to gym and doing what I fancy. Yesterday was 30 mins on treadmill, 40 min spin, weights and then 1400m swim. Today just working on core strength.

RBM- your plan sounds good image
  • Options
    Pugsley wrote (see

Ridgebackmax - that sounds a good plan. What were Rosie's swimming tips that helped?
    IIRC Hydarate like mad the day before with sport drink not water to get salts in get a gel or two down before the swim , get some flexation/stretching in the ankles and  rotate and stretch them out during the swim.... worked for me imageusually the last 1/2 mile is a survival swim with cramp locked up both legsimage

Asolutely wonderful ride toaday saw a Heron, a couple of huge buzzards and some deer loving this cold, dry stuffimage
  • Options

Just back from a slow 12 mile run.  Can now look forward to finishing off the Christmas cake and starting on the wine!  image

Happy New Year everyone - look forward to meeting up next year 

• Options
    Thanks RBM all sounds good.

By the way went for a swim this morning and there was an OAP ladies acquacise class in half the pool. When those ladies get going it is like a perfect rough water OW training session.
  • Options
    Yep happy new year everybody couple of beers by the fireside with the family and Telly never been a great one for going out and getting hammered new years eve, Gotta cycle up  to olventor tomorrow to watch the annual brown willy run not running it this year as my legs are slowly sorting themselves out and 6 miles of Cornish bog,mud and Tor would not helpimage
  • Options
    Happy New Year all, thanks for all the advice so far. I look forward to sharing a successful 2011 with you all.
  • Options

RBM. What time are you heading off to Bolventor, and are you going road bike or mountain bike.

I suspect raod as I cannot imagine how you would get there off road.

• Options
    CD probably about 10 by road bike I will go via Lux Park so if you want to ride up be there at 10 O.K?
  • Options
    OK. May be there. I will not be late so if I not here by 10, don't hang around..
  • Options
    No problem CD have a good new years eve
  • Options
    Happy NewYear everyone image early i know but need to come off computer image
  • Options

a wonderful happy healthy New Year to all.

First day's run of 2011 completed!

• Options

Happy New Year everyone........................not hungover I hopeimage

Likewise IW managed a slowish road/trail run this morning 8.5 miles,saw two dears on the trail not bad for Salford  eh........(it's not all factories and matchstalk men)image

Happy training for 2011 everyone.

• Options

went to bed at 1ish had 3 or 4 beers woke up  bright and breezy at 5:30image so got up tidied up then thought bah humbug Mrs RBM is in work tomorrow I start on tuesday so took all the decorations down image the house seems much brighter and fresher without all the clutter....back to normal lovelyimage

Cycle off to see all the hungover people killing themselves on the Brown Willy Run which is tough enough without last nights hooch inside you, in all did about 25 miles fairly sharpish on the fixed and managed to muller it up a short shocker of a hill i usually push the fixie up so good start for 2011image in the end got home nice and tired so had a huge power nap this afternoonimage

got a nice few glasses of red lined up tonight then thats  all the hooch in the house gone..on the wagon ..finito until after IM Wales my body is now officially a temple image plus I just cannot face early morning training and long rides if I have had a couple of vinos the night beforeimage

I hope all your IM ambitions for 2011 are fulfilled........lets get training image    

• Options

Happy New Year All, hope you're all well (or recovering well!) today.  I had a session at the gym today so I could watch the second half of the match, just 25 mins on the bike and 25 on the treadmill.  Got my longest run for Gloucester tomorrow so nothing too taxing today.

Hope 2011 is a good one for you all.

• Options
    Hi All & HNY,
    Just got back from 2 weeks in Florida - training plan proper doesn't kick in for a couple of weeks so just ticking over at the moment. I managed to get a 45 minute run in most days and bought a very cheap (and incredibly heavy) "mountain bike" from Walmart. In fact the bike was so heavy that when I first tried to pick it up in the shop I thought it was physically tied down to the floor. However, the combination of extreme weight and some fairly windy conditions proved quite useful and I managed to get a 45 minute "turboesque" session in every day. The place I was staying did have a pool but unfortunately it was rather small - I would have got a better session if I'd filled the wheely bin with water and swum in that.
    Now looking forward to starting the training in earnest and pondering the diary with a view to a few events I'd like to do along the way.
    PS I managed to pawn the bike just before I left, so got a few $s back.
    PPS Don't drive around asking strangers if there's a "Pawn Shop" nearby, as the phrase can be misunderstood...
  • Options

RBM - does it really all start tomorrow - i think i may have over indulged.

Roll on outlaw

• Options

Nice n easy 8+mile run with the dogs in the local woods the local cider/aerosol sniffing club had had its AGM there last night - beer cans, bottles, LNYX????image Lighters and general crap strewn all over the place real;y weird as the woods are a good few miles out of town and off the beaten track imageso I did laps picking up the stuff and putting it in my dog doo bags as i went ended up with 3 carrier bags full in the car ....@rseholesimage still the woods are all nice and woody againimage

chillax for the rest of the day and a big roast dinner laterimage

Good article about Chrissie Wellington here........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jan/02/chrissie-wellington-interview-iron-lady

I dont care how buff (fat chance) I get this year I wnt be standing on a bar stool in me Kecksimage unless a lot of beer is involved