Options

ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Well almost Knight Rider.Unfortunately what you lose on uphills and headwinds you never quite get back on the downhills or tailwinds

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to wish you luck on Sunday, Pete!
  • Options
    Thanks for all thegood luck messages image and good luck to those racing to! Hopefully see you on the startline AMCA. Clafs feeling a bit better this morn and thanks for the pacing tips steve. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Options

Hey Pete! How did you get on today? Looked out for you at the RW stand where Bridget and I gassing with the RW pacers and other support, but you were probably doing an effective warm-up and eating bananas - I assume you like them - your avatar?

Hope it went well. 

Am also struggling with the insole that C put in my right shoe last weekend. My toes are going numb and I have to concentrate on slightly altering my way of running. I think I'm running more symmetrically, but it just takes that little bit more effort to concentrate on a slightly different running style. 

Hmm. We shall see. 

Speak soon. 

• Options

Hey Alison, Unfortunatly i didnt end up running today image. Stayed up there last night but my calf just didnt feel right in the morn and didnt want to risk it. I know that i probably could have run and been ok but i know what im like in a race enviroment and would probably have pushed it to hard. Did a few miles when i got home to test it out and feels ok so hopefully next week will get back to some sort of normality. More importantly how did you and the others get on?  Sorry to hear about your numb toes maybe worth considering removeing it till after paris if its causeing you pain, weve gotta have the six of us there on the startline in our asics getup!

Sorry again everyone for not doing the race today feel a bit guilty with the support and people looking out for my result etc but you know when things dont feel quite right. How did others get on that did the race?

• Options

Poor you! Better to be safe than sorry though, so I imagine you made the right choice.

Any yes to us all being on the Eurostar in our mtaching Asics tracksuits with gold bits, as modelled by Sarah and Clifford last weekend!

• Options
    Yes best you missed it Peter - everything had gone really well until Tuesday and all the training has been great so far so no point in setting yourself backwards by making injury worse.
  • Options
    Sounds like you made the right choice Peter and kept a level head - there'll be other HM's/races you can do between now and Paris. Hope the calf strain eases, are you going to get any physio to help out?
  • Options

Hi Peter

Was looking out for you but realise now why I didn't see you.

I ran despite worries about my achilles and though I finished in a fairly comfortable 1:26 I am now sat at home with my foot in a washing up bowl full of iced water...so perhaps you made the more sensible decision by not running today!

I have a day off tomorrow and a massage in the evening so going to see how it feels.  Probably going to need to take it easy for this week.  

Hope your calf problem has now cleared and your training goes well this week.

Adam 

• Options

Very sensible Peter.  Far too many people out there forget that we train to race and start racing in training. 

I did Blackmore Vale today with 5 steady and 8 marathon pace miles for 1:35:16 which was about 5 minutes faster than I thought I'd go and left me very happy with the day.  Suspect we got the best of the wind though as it was mostly sheltered but there were a couple of miles where the wind just carried us along.  I forgot my Garmin which was a pity (had my old Polar HRM as backup to judge the effort for steady and MP) as it would have been interesting to see what m-pace is at the moment.  That said conditions were decidedly odd so it probably would have just been misleading anyway.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Clearly - I was at Blackmore Vale today and was in the same wind, which was strong enough. Thought the hills were pretty good as well.
  • Options

Gobi - I saw that on Twitter - would have looked around for you to say hello if I'd known you were going to be there. The wind was pretty strong in places but it seemed mostly to be from behind or maybe I just drafted somebody everytime it was in our faces.  Didn't I read (on the sub-3 thread) something about you planning to pace somebody around in 88mins though or was that a different half? 

Actually I have to thank you for where I am as I picked up a bad cold over Christmas just as I started an 18 week P&D plan and wasn't able to run for a couple of weeks.  Reading your ideas on preparation in the Martin H thread convinced me to spend a few weeks just doing easy running and I've just started the 55 - 70 mile 12 week plan (with 11 weeks remaining though so I'll have to drop a week somewhere).

• Options

Hi Pete.  Good call this morning, it wasn't an easy course.

Kryptonite wrote (see)

Any yes to us all being on the Eurostar in our mtaching Asics tracksuits with gold bits, as modelled by Sarah and Clifford last weekend!

That would have the rest of the passengers wondering what was going on!
  • Options
    I think they'll know! The Eurostar will be chocka with other marathoners. I am very excited!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Clearly - no worries glad I helped you out. I think you were hiding behind people today :¬)

I'm pacing at 88 minutes next weekend. Today was a training run for me so I allowed myself to go a little faster.
  • Options

I hope we do get one of thoses tracksuits Alison, its all about the gold trim! How did you get on Bridget? Sounds like a good run out Clearly and always nice when you come in under time and make good progress, you doing tommorows session with BAC? What is it tommorow.

Sorry to hear the achilies took a turn for the worse AMCA, hows it doing today?

Went out for my 5 miles today and it felt pretty good. Couldnt really feel it when running and has been alright since. Still iceing it to be on the safe side and got another physio session booked in for next week just to address a few niggles. Thanks for the reassurance that i did the right thing yesterday, as people have said theres plent of races to come.

• Options
    Good that it felt ok and you can look forward to doing a good session tomorrow.
  • Options
    Pete, I've forwarded you on the club schedule for the next few weeks.  Tuesday is 3*10mins with 5 mins recovery, each rep faster.  To be honest as you're just coming off a niggle/injury I'd consider whether it's worthwhile doing a fast session this week.  You won't make your marathon this week but you certainly can break it.  I'm 90% certain to be there tomorrow (little one is sick but SO should be able to handle it) but I'll be doing something like an aerobic 12 miles (can't put my hands on the schedule just now) which will work out at around about 7:45 - 8:00 pace and for which I'd welcome company.  There might be one other who'll do at least part of it.
  • Options
    Pete - I averaged the intended MP for the first 8 miles over most of the hills but after that the fact I'd been doing loads of training on the flat started to tell and like Alison i ended up slower.  Good training run for me though and Paris isn't hilly!
  • Options

Hi Pete,

how's the calf feeling now? It's most likely to be caused by lower back tightness, this is the first place that winds up. Concentrate on your lower back mobility exercises and try some dural mobilisations, to the leg. Lye on back lift tight leg in air then pull foot down 3x20 but don't hold the position. This will start freeing the nerve that pulls the calf tight. Let me know how it goes.

Sarah

• Options

Pete

you have lots of choices - the steadier run with Clearly , the faster session with the group or to do the session on the schedule.

The session with the group should be ok as long as you start very gently and pull out if there is a problem.

• Options
    What was wrong with the tracksuits!!
  • Options
    Nothing at all!  We like them very much image
  • Options
    Hope calf getting better.
  • Options
    Could I please emphasise that we loved the tracksuits so much that we begged Stacey to procure some for Paris. Classiest. Tracksuits. Ever.
  • Options

Thanks for the offer tonight clearly but decided to head out on my own in the end and do the session on the scedule. The calfs getting better thanks Ruth and thanks sarah ive tried that stretch tonight and a few others to loosen it up. All this talk of tracksuits to! I wasnt knocking them im just jealous and good work alex on begging stacey to try and get us one of our own.

Tonight i did the 1 mile warm up then 5  x 6min miles with 2 min recoverys in betwee. First one went at 6:20 then alternated between 6:15 into the wind and 5:50 with it on my back. The calf felt fine and just a slightly tight left hamstring but fingers crossed im over the worst of it!

• Options

Good session - well done - and good news on the calf. do you do it on the road or grass? Is there a nearby track?

• Options
    Sounds like you made the right decision.  Really happy to hear that the calf feels fine.  I though I was going really well for a few miles until I realised that the wind was behind me.  Ended up averaging 7:30 on the way out and 8:05 on the way back.
  • Options
    It's strange how you rarely realise the wind is in your back but notice it immediately you turn around!
  • Options

Steve - I tend to do most of my runs on concrete along the seafront athough there is a marked out mile track on grass near me which i sometimes use. The local athletics track is not far either although in the evenings when i tend to do my speed work it seems to be busy with other sessions and bit reluctant to try and use it. Do you think i should be mixing up the surfaces on run on?

Did my 13 miles today at 7:40 pace today. Was supose to be going at 8 miles min pace but i felt good and didnt hold myself back where i previously had done. Planning to head out for the hill session with BAC tommorow. Its a 6 x1 min with 6 x 2 min hill efforts if ive read the scedule right. Do you think thats a good substitute for the 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (approx 19 mins) brisk, then 1M jog that was planned?

Im with you on the wind thing Bridget, just gotta hope that sometimes it changes direction when we do!