Options

ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Peter

If you haven't done your speedwork yet - take it fairly easily again at the start and try to pick up the pace fairly gradually.

• Options

Cheers steve just been out and tried to do just that. I did my warm up mile with 100m strides and active streches etc. For my 15 x 400m at 90 sec pace session i did the first two in 95 secs, the next six at 90secs and the last severn at 85 secs. Just felt that i could push on a bit with the last few and having built up with the slower ones first it felt right to push on.

Also got all my kit the other day, shoes, jacket, shorts, vests, leggings and t shirt! all very exiteing! Hardly taking them off since its like im like a 6 year old kid thats just got the ne spurs kit for his birthday image !

• Options
    I'm going to have to have a sort out as my kit drawer is full!
  • Options

That's great - well done on the session -  definitely the best way to run it - feeling strong at the end and feeling you could push on.

shame you don't live near London or you could have joined Alison and Alex down at the track last night.

Were you wearing it all when you did the session?- hopefully it's more colourful than the Spurs kit. Hope the shoes are comfortable which is of course the most important thing  - what shoes ave you got?

• Options
    Yeah was reading about there antics, its good that a few have us can train together but sadly its a bit out my way image. Yeah i had my leggings and jacket on for the session so def looking the part. Dont knock that spurs kit ive still got it hidden away in a draw ready to dust off when we win the champs league! Ive got kayano 17's and they seem fine, settled into them straight off. Maybe there even knock a few seconds off if im lucky!
  • Options

I take it the session was somewhere in the London area  then?

Pete - our kit has got bits of pink on, have the lads got blue? image

• Options

Peter Much as I would love to see it, The spurs kit will be buried under a foot of dust by the time they win anything!

Yes USB, session was in London. Apparently Alison and Alex work almost in adjacent buldings and were able to travel down to session together.

• Options

Bridget - Yeah mines a nice sterotypical blue although i think pink kinda suits me! We'll see steve, my theory is if i run past Harry Rednapps house in sandbanks enough times were bound to win something as my reward!

Today was a real struggle! it was one of those days where you do everthing you can before leaving the house, washing up, ironing, hovering! It didnt even get any better once i'd managed to push myself out the front door. First 5 miles were not pretty and couldnt get into it but gradually got a bit better although by the end felt like i'd done more like 20 miles than 10. Managed to do the 10 miles in 1hr 20min as planned but it was not fun. Think it was the combination of the week catching up with me and not getting my eating right before i set off.

Anyways we all have these days and fingers crossed tommorow i'll be back to normal.

• Options

well done - the previous day's session make it hard work, especially if you were tired from other things and you didn't start it right nutritionally.

• Options

It's amazing how much you can find that needs doing on day's like that! 

I see you are doing Watford as well, hopefully I'll manage to spot you before you vanish into the distance.  I realised from Stacey's email that I am old enough to be your mum image

• Options

I would have thought your outfit would be blue with a yellow trim, perhaps even a yellow hood image.

Sounds like your training is going well Pete, you will always get days when 10 miles can seem like 20 effort wise, good work on getting it done.

• Options

Agree

everyone has their off days where a run feels unusually hard and then the next one feel easier

Nb too late now for the questions but as RW didn't do their usual posting on each super 6 thread, some may have missed the Q&A I did this lunchtime -

just possible that some of the answers may be of help and avoid duplicate questions later on here.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=170594&V=7&SP=

• Options

Thanks for the reply Steve on the Q&A, you did a brilliant job today and your response speed and informative answers were amazing. I think Pete is really lucky to have you as a mentor! I think he has a great chance on getting his sub 3 goal especially with you behind him.

Did 7 x 1000m reps tonight and took in your advice to Pete by taking it easy for the first few.
    Splits came out at 4.05, 3.55, 3.50, 3.49, 3.47, 3.50, 3.50

I was planning to do this session last night but felt knackered after 5 days back to back running. I think the days' rest worked out well as I felt fresher tonight.

Pete - know how you feel about the10 miler feelng tough. Do you think it was more to do with not being feuled up during the day? I did a painful 15 miler a couple of weeks ago and put it down to not eating properly during the day, so there there was no juice in the tank.

On another note, is there going to be any nutrional advice on the official Asics Super SIx threads?

• Options

Thanks Knight rider

Excellent reps - those last 5 were very consistent

On the important sessions which are first long run and then the main speed session, if it possible to rearrange then always think best to do when you feel right rather than do a bad one but it is impossible to run good sessions every week. It helps if you can pinpoint why a below par session happened to avoid repeating but ultimately some sessions are just inexplicable!

I understand Asics will be providing some nutritional and injury advice on these threads soon as was originally promised!

• Options

Hi Steve, I was hoping you could give me some advice (& other forum experts please chip in!)

I’m also aiming for the elusive sub 3, hence often reading (I think others may say lurking on) this forum which I find really helpful (thanks all!)

I have the opposite problem from Peter in that my endurance is pretty good but I really struggle with speed.  I’ve run several marathons, PB 3.09 (London ‘09) and recently had my V02 Max tested at 60.7 (if you’re into that!) But my 10k PB is 40.50 & half marathon 1.28.45.  I’ll be aiming to go sub 40 & sub 1.25 respectively, in this training period, but don’t know if I’ll make it.  I’m beginning to wonder if I’m going to be the exception to the prediction tables and/or if I can make sub 3 or not.

I’m running 4 times a week, around 50 miles.  I’d love to do more but have been injured in the past so am trying to focus on quality – I do feel a little nervous about not doing higher mileage considering my goal – what do you think?

My weekly sessions are:

·         threshold pace (I’m currently hitting around 6.55 pace for 5 miles in a row);

·         medium long run around 13m mainly at 7.30 pace,

·         speedwork eg on track where I might hit around 6 – 6.30 pace for short intervals, and

·         long runs where I increase to run c10miles at 7.30 pace, occasionally aiming for a section at “marathon pace” where like many on this thread, I can’t yet hit my MP and it ends up around 7 fading to 7.15 at the moment.

I’d be really grateful for your thoughts & tips – hope I’m an interesting case study!

• Options

Doodge - it seems to me that you're better off spending 6 months / a year focusing on the 10k.  Many people's short distance PBs get knocked off during marathon training - but that's usually because of weaknesses in endurance / aerobic fitness.  Similarly, those who always knock chunks off their marathon times through continually entering marathons are those who have the short distance speed and are developing their stamina (improving their conversion).

None of which appears to apply to you - given you seem to have good endurance despite a relatively low mileage regime.  I fear you will just get stuck in the marathoning rut which will, for a runner like you, conflict with your goal of developing some speed. 

Take a look around - there are hundreds of speed-limited people inching their marathon PB down second by second by re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic (fuelling strategy, flatter courses, a couple more long runs, finding a 'better weather' marathon, inserting jelly babies in their anus). 

Address the speed issue specifically - devote a year to it - and there will be a fast marathon waiting for you at the end of it. This is best done by training for the 10k.

• Options

I agree with most of what Moraghan says - you do need to focus primarily on speed.  Your endurance looks good and quality at 50 miles a week may work.

I would see what happens in this marathon and if you get the half down to sub 1:26, then sub-3 is on but it is going to be incredibly hard until you can cruise 6:30s and not be flat out. So do your best this time and if you don't do it this time - forget about marathons until you can significantly improve your speed.

Your training looks well balanced but I woudl work more on the short race speed ie doing 400 reps in 90 secs with 30 seconds recovery

• Options
    knight rider wrote (see)

Pete - know how you feel about the10 miler feelng tough. Do you think it was more to do with not being feuled up during the day? I did a painful 15 miler a couple of weeks ago and put it down to not eating properly during the day, so there there was no juice in the tank.

On another note, is there going to be any nutrional advice on the official Asics Super SIx threads?

Well done on that session KR and i think your prob right about the fueling thing. If i dont eat right before i go out or through the day it has a massive impct on my running. If i get hunger on a run thats usually curtains for me. As for the last 2 days i missed fris session as just felt like i didnt have the energy to put in a good session and could do with moving a rest day earlier. Did the little recovery run yest and just about to head off for 18 miles at 8 mile pace in a mo. Have had my porridge so fingers crossed all goes to plan. Enjoy your long runs today!!
  • Options
    Fuelling definitely needs getting right.  I was doing my long run after parkrun yesterday (I was in charge not running) and had thought I could get porridge in the cafe.  Ended up with a bacon roll which just didn't hit the mark.  Felt queasy every so often while running and even finished off the emergency jelly babies!
  • Options
    Hope the long run goes well Pete - wise to miss te Friday run and have an extra day's rest
  • Options
    Pete, make sure that you re-fuel your body correctly after your runs as well as before them.  This is something I have looked into for this campaign and seems to have helped no end.   Protein and carbs as soon as you can after you finish (I have been told within 30 mins of finishing) and cherry juice and milk are good at replenishing lost nutrients (not in the same glass though)!!
  • Options

Thanks Martin, i usually have scrambled eggs on toast after a long run, been told thats a good mix of protein and carbs. I think im quite good usually in getting my carbs in during the day and protien and veg in the evening but inevitably things dont always go to plan.

Todays18 mile  long run went well, did the forst 3 miles at 8 min pace then met up with a friend for a few miles so did the next 3 slightly slower. The last 12 i did in 1: 30mins so all in all rounghly evened out to 8miles pace for the 18. Had run out of energy gels so just took out a handful of raisons which did the trick. Its funny because last year i would get through 2 flapjkacks on an 18 miler but now i dont seem to need much at all. Shame really cos i quite like flapjacks!

• Options
    Good running Peter.  Looking good so far.
  • Options
    Excellent running - 18 miles comfortable at this stage of January is very encouraging.
  • Options
    The recovery run went well, did my 5 in 43:30 a little slower than planned but thats what felt like easy today. Would have been silly to push as know that its not the pace on these recovery runs that will get me my sub 3 but the pace on the others.
  • Options

Running slow on Mondays is not a problem - as you say it's the runs on other days that make the big difference - tomorrow's session is quite a hard one

Good to see the link at front is working now

This week's schedule with suggested paces

Mon 5M easy (approx 40 mins)
    Tue 1M jog (or more if required), then 4 x 2000m at 10K pace (try and start with 8 minutes and then 7:45 and then see how close to 7:30 you can get on last 2) fast with 400m mins (or 2-min to 2 min 30) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 11M easy (approx 88-90 mins)
    Thu 6M inc Hill session or circuit

(advise what hills are available to you and I can suggest some sessions)

Fri Rest or 4M easy (approx 32 mins)
    Sat 5M easy (approx 40 mins)
    Sun 13M at half-marathon pace? - run at Birmingham with super 6 - could either do brisk 13 or slower longer run and could swap around weeks if you are doing Watford Half in a few weeks.

• Options

Thanks for putting up the scedule Steve. I definatly doing the watford half marathon the following week so would it best to move that weeks 18 miles steady to this weekend. Also we got an email asking whether we wanted to do the long run this sunday at the super sixes or in the week but i dont think a descisons been finalised yet. Ive got fri off work so happy to do the long run then if needs be.

In terms of hills i live really near the sea and theres lots of zig zag hills down to the beach i can use so dont know what sort of session you recommend? I have previously done sessions where i run between them (there about half a mile apart), running up and down each one at about 80% maximum effort and the continuing on.

• Options
    peter thompson 14 wrote (see)
    The recovery run went well, did my 5 in 43:30 a little slower than planned but thats what felt like easy today. Would have been silly to push as know that its not the pace on these recovery runs that will get me my sub 3 but the pace on the others.

Good pace for your 18 mile run Pete and 8.42 for your recovery run tonight must have felt a real doddle. Managed my first 20 mile run of the campaign last night. Planned to do 18 but just tagged 2 miles onto it. Got a 5 mile race this Sunday so a bit of a cut back week.

I like the 4 x 2000 reps session. I have done these before for half marathon training on a religeous basis and over a period of weeks I managed to get my 10k time down to sub 40 minutes. It's good to be able to run in a controlled manner and it teaches good running economy.

• Options

I just want to thank Steve and Moraghan for their wise words in answer to my question - what you say makes a lot of sense & I will give it a go!

I did an undulating 15 miles at the weekend averaging 6.48 which felt manageable, but I agree that it'd be good for 6.30s to be comfortable!

Thanks again guys.  Good luck with your training.

• Options
    Doodge - That's a quick medium run you did there. Essentially 15 at MP. Watch you don't overstretch yourself at this stage. Was that progressive or did you just go out to hammer it at under 6.50 from the off ? If 6.30s are feeling comfortable for  all of a medium long untapered solo effort for as long as 15 miles you'll be well under 3.00 on the day